closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Arcteryx gore tex jackets

Master

Arcteryx gore tex jackets

I’m looking to buy one and am getting pretty confused about their range.
    It will be for forest walks and maybe the occasional hike up a hill.
    I’ve read lots of reviews but I’m still none the wiser.
    The Zeta Sl looks to be a good all rounder for what I intend to use it for but what do you wear or recommend.
    Thanks!

Master
    I believe the SL denotes super light.
    As described the SL jackets are the lightest, but usually constructed from less durable fabric
    but I would have thought fine for hill walking. If you want something more durable, I can
    recommend the Sidewinder SV.
    If your not in a hurry, flash sales for Arcteryx are on Sport Pursuit every
    3-4 months, often at half price.

I recently got the beta ar means all round I think Supposed to be one of the best available. I love it feel good to wear and looks really smart imo. Goretex pro fabric Got it from l d mountain store in Newcastle. Good discount at the time. Highly recommend the beta ar for everything andy.

The thing to do is to check out the fit. Basically Arcteryx comes in trim fit and regular fit. You should try some jackets on to determine which suits you better. Once you have narrowed it down you’ll need to decide how hard use should it handle. The toughest line is marked SV, severe weather; the second is called AR, all round. There are FL, fast & light; MX mixed weather etc. I’d say that SV line might be an overkill.

The Zeta SL on the other hand will be superlight. It would be very light but on the cost of durability. I believe the SL line is meant to be a light backup for unexpected showers rather than to be used daily on long hikes. The cut will also be very trim, so not ideal for layering.

I used a Beta AR really hard for more than 10 years. It remains functional except the hem cords but it’s looking so worn I bought an Alpha AR too. Both are excellent jackets, the main difference is the pocket positioning. The Alpha has pockets close to the center zipper and a little high, so they are easy to reach while wearing a backpack. The Beta has traditional pocket positions which are better if you don’t have a backpack. Both are regular fit jackets and can take plenty of layering under. I’ll hazard a guess that either can take anything you would expose them to and then some.

Another beta ar jacket owner here and very impressed with it. I just wear layers underneath and it's great in all weathers. Picked it up half price in one of the sales. I do lots of walks with the dog in all weather. Perfect.

Master
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I’ve learnt much more in 5 minutes than a few hours going round in circles on the internet!
    I’ll check out the recommendations made.

Master
    I am on a mailing list for Alpinetrek. Their current promotion is on this brand of jackets.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/outlet/brands/arcteryx

Why does it need to be Arc’teryx?

There are plenty of other jackets around that do the same job for far less outlay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

There are plenty of other jackets around that do the same job for far less outlay.
    Maybe, but you could say the same about purchasing a Rolex or Omega

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

One of my mates got his Arc'teryx re-proofed after it started leaking.
    He won't touch Berghaus, Rab or god forbid, Tog but if they all leak after a certain amount of rain, why spend so much.
    Mind you I understand the analogy with Omega and Rolex.

Craftsman
    I have a AR Theta for the last 18 months. I bought from Trekkit.co.uk during one of their summer sales, bagging a very healthy discount. The jacket has been flawless, one of the best pieces of outdoor wear I've ever purchased.

I live in the west of Ireland where we get 200+ days of rain a year. I walk to work almost every day and do some hiking too so the jacket has seen a lot of wear and hasn't missed a beat and still looks as new. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Master
    Another vote for the Beta AR here. Have had lots of other brands Rab, Haglof Berghaus etc but this is another level, if feels and looks bomb-proof.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    One of my mates got his Arc'teryx re-proofed after it started leaking.
    He won't touch Berghaus, Rab or god forbid, Tog but if they all leak after a certain amount of rain, why spend so much.
    Mind you I understand the analogy with Omega and Rolex.
    I have two Arcteryx ski shell jackets, one still going strong after 15 plus years, not a mark on it.
    I probably wouldn't buy anything else - though might considering trying a Norrona - but I'd never pay full RRP on one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    I have two Arcteryx ski shell jackets, one still going strong after 15 plus years, not a mark on it.
    I probably wouldn't buy anything else - though might considering trying a Norrona - but I'd never pay full RRP on one.
    My mate goes skiing and snow boarding and I don't think he wants to be seen in anything aldi-ish

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

The Sidewinder is desrcibed as snowsports specific, and it appears to have a hood large enough to accomodate a helmet. This may mean that the hood is rather on the large side without a helmet, and won't be a lot of use in windy conditions (don't ask me how I know).

So based on what you're saying OP, could I make the following assumptions - you will not be carrying a big pack with this jacket and nothing too extreme weather wise? The only other point to ask is if you intend it to be as an emergency shell or you think you will walk a lot of the time in it - important for packability consideration and if you wear it for prolonged periods, then ventilation.

I think the Beta AR is overkill for your use. If you want a 'Pro' jacket, I'd say consider the Alpha FL - Arc'teryx's cheapest (and damn good) Pro jacket, though it does have limitations in pockets etc.

The Zeta range is probably the best suited - but I'd probably get the Zeta LT over the SL as C-knit is nicer on the skin and the Gore is more durable than the Pac-Lite in the SL. However if it really is only for emergency use, then the SL should be fine.

Master
    I recently purchased a Beta AR on the basis of its versatility, knowing it was overkill given I'm not mountaineering but I like the fact it ought to resist scrapes and I'm yet to dive to 300m with my watch on :). Things to bear in mind are that the AR has a helmet compatible hood, although it does cinch down really well, and it's a regular fit meaning it is intended to be worn with layers like a full down jacket. I'm still thinking about swapping to the Beta LT though as it's a slightly trimmer fit which will suit me better with just one or two layers and it's more than robust enough for walking with a back pack.

As has been said the Zeta is the hiking/walking product, normal hood and slightly longer than the Beta range. It's worth trying them on as I hadn't really appreciated the difference in fits within the Beta range. The SV is n40 fabric at the wear points, so will be more than robust enough for general walking/hiking use.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 21st February 2020 at 15:07.

Blog Entries
    My wife has bought a Patera down/coreloft coat. I'm impressed by the quality, the feel and the (absence!) of weight. Brilliant quality, I must say. The green-is colour looks great with a Paul Smith-ish colourful scarf!

I have advocated Arcteryx on here a few times. My opinion has changed somewhat.

After two and a half years of relatively light use both lower arms of my Beta AR delaminated. After I sent it back to Arcteryx and last week they emailed me to say that it had “reached the end of it’s practical lifespan”.

There is no external damage or wear to the jacket. It’s always been put on a hanger at the end of the day and never been abused, unless you count being worn in downpours. There seems no logical reason why it has delaminated on both arms. I can’t see any obvious reason for it to fail there. It seems to me that it’s a failure in manufacturing.

Arcteryx have offered 40% off any comparable product. I emailed them back last Friday saying this wasn’t good enough. I am still waiting for a response!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post

After two and a half years of relatively light use both lower arms of my Beta AR delaminated. After I sent it back to Arcteryx and last week they emailed me to say that it had “reached the end of it’s practical lifespan”.

There is no external damage or wear to the jacket. It’s always been put on a hanger at the end of the day and never been abused, unless you count being worn in downpours. There seems no logical reason why it has delaminated on both arms. I can’t see any obvious reason for it to fail there. It seems to me that it’s a failure in manufacturing.

Arcteryx have offered 40% off any comparable product. I emailed them back last Friday saying this wasn’t good enough. I am still waiting for a response!
    One reason is - regardless of use, we do not wash our Gore-Tex jackets often enough.

Another is the limitations of Gore-Tex, yes it's got better, but I still think we need a new innovation in hard shell material.

Fingers crossed Arcteryx come back with a good response!

Master
    I’ve always sworn by paramo because I’ve experienced delamination on far too many goretex jackets from all manufactures over the years, I also use a fjallraven eccoshell in the warmer months which I’ve not had long enough to say how well it will last but it’s certainly very impressive up to now the negative for some is that it has no hand warmer pockets just 2 huge napoleon chest pockets not an issue for me but others may miss them.

Journeyman
    For walking I like the Zeta AR as the lining is softer and the three layers non pro gore tex isn’t as noisy as pro

For gore tex pro and if you don’t need pit zip,go for beta LT instead of AR

I have multiple Arcteryx jackets (interstate,a2b,Alpha AR,Beta AR,beta SL,beta LT,zeta AR,theta AR and several ski shell that I couldn’t remember the type....but my go-to is still the older zeta AR (the non pit zip one) which has roomier fit and more straight than beta AR

Recently for something light I’m trying the haglofs lim proof as they’re lighter and more compact than even the older paclite beta SL

For Arcteryx I often scour online outlets like sierra,6pm,backcountry

I have a Beta AR and think it’s noticeably better quality than anything I have owned from North Face or Rab.

I have visited the Arcteryx shop in London and the sales chap said Goretex jackets should be washed regularly. He explained that the microscopic pores of the Goretex become filled with dirt and dust over time which means they create a bridge for moisture to move across to the inside of the jacket. No idea if it’s right but regular washing with an appropriate product seems logical.

Master

Matt,

I think the terminal/master guarantee is actually with Gore itself.

Talk to them. From what I've read on forums, they might still make you get something from the Arc range, but on better terms than what Arc have offered you so far (under the sales of goods act).

Master
    Loupe,

It might pay to have a quick look at these review sites:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/outdoor-gear-reviews

I don't believe (though I can't swear), that they are shills for any particular brand.

I have what in the UK would be described as a "no-name" brand Gore-Tex raincoat, made of whatever generation of pac-lite was out in 2014, the same fabric as the Arc Zeta SL you are looking at. Doesn't matte that it's no name though, all Gore-Tex products are tested and approved by Gore before they can be sold.

So, six years of wear of winter (and half a season either side). I wear a small backpack to work, a quarter of the time there is a business laptop in it.

De-lamination on the shoulders occurred after 4.5 years. More concerning is some at the lower arms (the same as Matt London).

However, I only paid about 135 squid, so am not too worried (I paid about 110 squid for my first breathable waterproof shell in 1991 (it was made in NZ).

The biggest question is, what layer/s will you be wearing under the jacket - I'd rate that of more importance than the actual fabric/maker of the outer shell.

I'm quite looking forward to some cold weather this winter, so I can try out this jacket I bought in Prague in October (my spring):

http://www.directalpine.com/jacket-alpha-active-10
    Last edited by Rob (NZ); 21st February 2020 at 21:59.

Master
    Thanks for more replies.
    I think I’m getting too much choice again but possibly narrowed it down to the Zeta FL now.
    I don’t want a helmet compatible hood and the FL is a harder wearing material then the SL.
    I’m only using it for mid range walks and some hills.
    I have a down filled mid layer and a soft shell from Arcteryx and would use these under the jacket.
    Why do I want one? Just because I do!
    I appreciate there are loads of good makes out there but this is what I would like to go for.

Craftsman
    I just got the Beta AR, it’s very good. Check the fit, I know the Alpha has a really high waist (for climbing harness) and didn’t sit well for all round use on me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rob (NZ) View Post
    Matt,

I think the terminal/master guarantee is actually with Gore itself.

Talk to them. From what I've read on forums, they might still make you get something from the Arc range, but on better terms than what Arc have offered you so far (under the sales of goods act).
    Cheers Rob

I have emailed Arcteryx again for a reply and will follow up with Gore-Tex if I don’t get any joy.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I have a Beta AR and think it’s noticeably better quality than anything I have owned from North Face or Rab.

I have visited the Arcteryx shop in London and the sales person said Goretex jackets should be washed regularly. He explained that the microscopic pores of the Goretex become filled with dirt and dust over time which means they create a bridge for moisture to move across to the inside of the jacket. No idea if it’s right but regular washing with an appropriate product seems logical.

I went to the Piccadilly shop and received similar advice. Rather than ‘bridge the pores’ it was said that the contamination ‘blocked the pores’ and stopped the transfer of vapour out. I have looked into how Gore-Tex works and my limited research (ultimately this means reading promotional material in some form or other) does suggest that blocking is the case.

I am puzzled as to why the underside of both forearms delaminated though. The only thing I can think of is that the creases formed by cinching the the cuffs started a separation which then expanded. I asked the assistant in the Piccadilly shop if the lining of an SV would be more robust but they said that it’s only the outer layer that’s different.

Master
    Hit the buy button on the Arcteryx website for a few items as I received an email for 30% off this morning.
    It doesn’t accept it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    Hit the buy button on the Arcteryx website for a few items as I received an email for 30% off this morning.
    It doesn’t accept it
    The small print on the email says “ 30% off* select styles.” So you’ll have to do some digging to find out what’s actually in the sale.

I’ve had a few good deals in the past.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    The small print on the email says “ 30% off* select styles.” So you’ll have to do some digging to find out what’s actually in the sale.

I’ve had a few good deals in the past.

Yeahhhhhh I tried 5 things, not really after underpants or ice boots just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    Thanks for more replies.
    I think I’m getting too much choice again but possibly narrowed it down to the Zeta FL now.
    I don’t want a helmet compatible hood and the FL is a harder wearing material then the SL.
    I’m only using it for mid range walks and some hills.
    I have a down filled mid layer and a soft shell from Arcteryx and would use these under the jacket.
    Why do I want one? Just because I do!
    I appreciate there are loads of good makes out there but this is what I would like to go for.
    Are you really sure about this? I do not think this is true, the material usage both seem the same to me. The FL is designed to be a lighter weight and more importantly compressibility. It is an emergency shell and so loses some niceties such as adjustable hem and soft chin guard for comfort. If you're not using as an emergency shell, get the SL.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Rob

I have emailed Arcteryx again for a reply and will follow up with Gore-Tex if I don’t get any joy.

I went to the Piccadilly shop and received similar advice. Rather than ‘bridge the pores’ it was said that the contamination ‘blocked the pores’ and stopped the transfer of vapour out. I have looked into how Gore-Tex works and my limited research (ultimately this means reading promotional material in some form or other) does suggest that blocking is the case.

I am puzzled as to why the underside of both forearms delaminated though. The only thing I can think of is that the creases formed by cinching the the cuffs started a separation which then expanded. I asked the assistant in the Piccadilly shop if the lining of an SV would be more robust but they said that it’s only the outer layer that’s different.
    I think sweat is the reason, but don't quote me on that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Are you really sure about this? I do not think this is true, the material usage both seem the same to me. The FL is designed to be a lighter weight and more importantly compressibility. It is an emergency shell and so loses some niceties such as adjustable hem and soft chin guard for comfort. If you're not using as an emergency shell, get the SL.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope I’m not sure at all but that’s what I thought I had read from a previous poster.

Too much choice and too difficult to decide on anything without actually trying every single piece on first.
    I’m off to mountain warehouse instead

Master

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely sweat is bad - which is why I almost never wear mine with short sleeves.

They do need washed, and they will need a new coat of DWR now and then.
    I've not had much luck with the "wash-in" ones - best to get a spray.

Master
    Just get Rab gear you can’t go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Rob (NZ) View Post
    Definitely sweat is bad - which is why I almost never wear mine with short sleeves.

They do need washed, and they will need a new coat of DWR now and then.
    I've not had much luck with the "wash-in" ones - best to get a spray.
    Same, I find spray is better than wash in. Arc’teryx recommends that too Arc’teryx actually have good videos on how to wash GORE-TEX and Down products. Worth watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    I just got the Beta AR, it’s very good. Check the fit, I know the Alpha has a really high waist (for climbing harness) and didn’t sit well for all round use on me.

Sage advice. I've tried a few jackets on over the years from Arcteryx and could never seem to get a good fit. Latest jacket is a mountain equipment which is top notch so far.

Cheers Rob

Arcteryx came back to me and offered a replacement free of charge.... On condition that I stick to their cleaning guidelines! These guidelines say that the jacket must be washed after every 20 days of light use. I am going to have to up my cleaning regime!

In their email they also said to get in touch if they could be of any further assistance. Well......

I bought a pair of their Aerios GTX boots in a sale 20 days ago. I wore them in a downpour for the first time yesterday and both let in around the tongue near the toe box. I had GTX overtrousers on so nothing came in through the tops.

I have asked them if they would like to inspect them as there is obviously a manufacturing fault. I could just send them back to the retailer for a refund (as will probably happen) but I am interested to see their response.

I had a similar problem with Sealskinz socks and they did indeed want them back to themselves for inspection rather than just send them back to the retailer. It may well have been a PR play of course and they may have just ended up going straight in the bin!

Arcteryx came back to me and offered a replacement free of charge.... On condition that I stick to their cleaning guidelines! These guidelines say that the jacket must be washed after every 20 days of light use. I am going to have to up my cleaning regime!

In their email they also said to get in touch if they could be of any further assistance. Well......

I bought a pair of their Aerios GTX boots in a sale 20 days ago. I wore them in a downpour for the first time yesterday and both let in around the tongue near the toe box. I had GTX overtrousers on so nothing came in through the tops.

I have asked them if they would like to inspect them as there is obviously a manufacturing fault. I could just send them back to the retailer for a refund (as will probably happen) but I am interested to see their response.

I had a similar problem with Sealskinz socks and they did indeed want them back to themselves for inspection rather than just send them back to the retailer. It may well have been a PR play of course and they may have just ended up going straight in the bin!
    You have to curb expectation with shoes - the GTX will wet out very quickly in a downpour. So I doubt if that is a manufacturer fault with them.

The issue with Gore cleaning - you need a tumble dryer, and I don't have one!!!! It is frustrating really.

You have to curb expectation with shoes - the GTX will wet out very quickly in a downpour. So I doubt if that is a manufacturer fault with them.

The issue with Gore cleaning - you need a tumble dryer, and I don't have one!!!! It is frustrating really.

The Arcteryx boots were supposed to be a replacement for a similar Berghaus GTX model. The Berghaus ones were great in downpours until they started to separate around the toe bumper.

I have the same problem with lack of tumble dryer. The chap in the Arcteryx store said using a hairdryer instead was fine. I had never thought of that so was reliant on other people’s dryers.

The Arcteryx boots were supposed to be a replacement for a similar Berghaus GTX model. The Berghaus ones were great in downpours until they started to separate around the toe bumper.

I have the same problem with lack of tumble dryer. The chap in the Arcteryx store said using a hairdryer instead was fine. I had never thought of that so was reliant on other people’s dryers.
    hmm fair enough - I wore my Ecco GTX boots in the rain yesterday and they held up ok. But I am undecided on the value of GTX liners in shoes.

huh same, that is smart using a hairdryer, but you may need to do it for a long time! I'll give it a try soon.

I can see it potentially working for Gore Tex, but not for down - which needs a dryer to knock the air back in.

I believe it is also due to sweat and oils from the skin attached to the fabric, as sweat contains salt, which is hygroscopic so naturally attracts and then hangs on to moisture.

My RAB eVent (3 layer) jacket suffers from the same issues as GoreTex. Washing regularly helps, but absolutely NO fabric softener or bio washing liquid and rinse very well.

I can see it potentially working for Gore Tex, but not for down - which needs a dryer to knock the air back in.
    Agreed. That’s why I am going to send my down stuff to RAB to get it cleaned and reconditioned.