closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Restored watches, before and after pictures..

Master

Restored watches, before and after pictures..

I've a badly marked up Sinn 140 watch that is currently with Simon Freese for service and sympathetic restoration. I've just agreed the estimate so looking forward to getting it back as it's the first time I've sought to have a watch case refinished, hands relumed etc. I know Simon will do the best he can and I'm more excited to see the difference than with a new watch arrival, which had surprised me as I pondered whether to have it restored for quite a while. I really hope it's not an addictive sub-category of this hobby!

I was fortunate enough to get some expert advice from one of the forum's stalwarts by pm and trawled the forum to see what the general opinion was on restoration as I appreciate it's subjective and each watch is different.

I know there's been some lovely examples in the past, and some very informative threads from members who regularly restore certain makes, so thought it might be useful to have a thread with some examples of before and after pictures to help anyone who's trying to decide whether to opt for restoration work and what exactly to have done. Brief details of the work and who did it might be useful too. I will post those details as soon as the Sinn comes but until then it would be nice to see some examples so don't be shy!

I started a thread recently seeking people's opinions on restoring vintage watches and what is or is not generally considered acceptable. There were a few images posted of completed restorations which looked great.

I have just bought a grail watch for me from a Japanese auction site and when it arrives in Blighty I will be looking to find the right person to give it to for a movement service as well as dial cleaning and sympathetic restoration to some of the lume. I have my initial thoughts on what I want done, but clearly will be willing to listen to the guys who actually carry out the work and see what they can do for me.

Wasn't there a guy a year or two back who had brought back to life a rare Seiko diver and of course the WWW military watch that was dug up in a field and fully restored.

I think the overriding conclusion of my thread was that sympathetic restoration that brings an otherwise dead Watch back into daily use is a very good thing. Clearly there are watches out there that doing anything at all could have huge implications to the overall value of the Watch, but we put those watches to one side in order to discuss doing restoration for the love of the watch itself.

Master
    Very timely! I have an incoming sixties diver for restoration. The model has had a recent reissue but I wanted to try an original model and secured one at a reasonable price. I believe that mine has had at least one fairly unsympathetic restoration attempted so will be asking around for advice too!
    Good luck with resurrecting yours - you’ve picked a craftsman so I’m sure you’ll be delighted once it arrives back with you!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just collected from Simon Freese this morning , they have been with him for a while but Im over the moon with the results. Some as purchased pics and the end result after Simon worked his magic.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Constellation has had a service and rotor bush replacement and I asked Simon for a sympathetic polish just to get rid of the small scratches !

Seamaster 30 has had a full case re plate as the bezel was marked when I purchased , genuine crystal and genuine crown . The watch was serviced by the antique shop I purchased from . He also supplied me with a genuine buckle .

That Constellation is a stunner. I have been keeping an eye on anything listed on e-bay to see if an 18m serial number 1961 piepan watch gets listed. Would love to find one in the sort of condition yours is in. I have seen a few poor condition watches, but nothing that has inspired me to buy.

Those two omegas are stunning. Very nicely restored

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Thanks , the Constellation is on my wrist now . The dial is good with just some light spotting . Hidden crown is a Pain in the Arse , a case of design over function.

The 30mm has come out really well , Simon was impressed after casing it up.

@ Wallasey Is the 18 mill serial number part of the Special Chronometer run ? I can never remember .

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    @ Wallasey Is the 18 mill serial number part of the Special Chronometer run ? I can never remember .
    No, it's just the annual run of serial numbers on the movements. All Omega watches from 1961 will have an 18m serial number regardless of which watch it is.

I see what you mean, I know from reading the excellent Desmond site on Vintage Connies, that there were batches of a thousands at a time of each caliber sent for lab testing.

They are a special series tested for COSC standards at the time , Omega passed with upto 20 thousand consecutive movements all reaching the standard !

A big feat for any watch manufacturer today , this was history making back in the late 50s and 60s

Master
    Found out on Friday that my Sinn 140 is on its way back from Mr Freeze, who kindly provided a couple of pictures so I thought I'd share them along with a couple of before pics. As expected, it looks like Simon's done a great job and whilst I'm really looking forward to seeing it in person, I think I'm more pleased it's been sympathetically restored to a very wearable condition. Fully serviced, new glass and crown (the old was too skinny), hands repainted/relumed to match the batons and case refurbed, all for a very reasonable price .
    I've got a very decent NSA style bracelet but think I'll need to find a nice leather strap, maybe a Toshi.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Found out on Friday that my Sinn 140 is on its way back from Mr Freeze, who kindly provided a couple of pictures so I thought I'd share them along with a couple of before pics. As expected, it looks like Simon's done a great job and whilst I'm really looking forward to seeing it in person, I think I'm more pleased it's been sympathetically restored to a very wearable condition. Fully serviced, new glass and crown (the old was too skinny), hands repainted/relumed to match the batons and case refurbed, all for a very reasonable price .
    I've got a very decent NSA style bracelet but think I'll need to find a nice leather strap, maybe a Toshi.

Looks fab. Like a new watch. And a great watch to boot.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    That case finishing/radial brushing looks great. Good as new.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post

That looks great. Love the sunburst finish... a di-model chronissimo would be an ideal strap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    That looks great. Love the sunburst finish... a di-model chronissimo would be an ideal strap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Recently aquired a Sinn 144 and put it straight on this strap. Didn't even size the bracelet.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app