closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help needed ; Mantle clocks / Wall clocks.

Master
    Blog Entries

Help needed ; Mantle clocks / Wall clocks.

Evening all,

I had a lovely present set up for my sister and her fiance for their wedding on 29th of Feb. However, the wheels have fallen off that so am now looking at the idea of either a vintage mantle clock or maybe a wall clock, (a mini grandfather clock?!)
    I have very little knowledge of these so am asking the communal experts for guidance of a) what to look for and b) where to source it on the hurry up.

Something with an Irish connection would be great.

Budget is £600. I know this isn't a wtb post but if anyone has something suitable, feel free to PM.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Master
    Get ye to ebay and do a search for Elliott clocks. These high quality clocks were the ones that bank managers and captains of industry foamed at the mouth for in 1920s and 1930s.

Elliots made a bomb proof mechanism and fitted it into hundreds of different cases. They also included posh shop names that were engraved on the dial.

These clocks still survive in their thousands and I bought a solid brass bodied one last year for £400 on ebay. Most of them are designed to be wound up every 7 days but go on for about 10 days. They also have a delicate chime. Mine gains about 15 secs every 7 days and it is a piece of cake to regulate them.

There is also plenty of info about them on google.

Take a look and you may well opt for them.
    Last edited by Mick P; 20th February 2020 at 00:41.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Mick, I'll take a look.

You might strike lucky if you phone Vanessa at Antique and Modern in East Barnet Village N. London 020 84498067… they have two clockmakers and two watchmakers repairing / restoring clocks and watches and usually have a good selection of all types of s/h clocks in stock … they've just moved premises so nothing on their website currently. I've bought several wall clocks and mantle clocks and ships' clocks from A&M … and an Atmos. A decent ship's clock might suit your sister and would be well within a £600 budget … but A&M also have smaller clocks e.g. carriage clocks which could appeal to a lady. There is a free secure car park at the rear of the premises … car park entrance opposite the pub.

https://www.clock-watches.co.uk/shop … website for new premises under construction

tempus76@ntlworld.com

27 Churchill Road

East Barnet

Hertfordshire

EN4 8SY

020 8449 8067

Open 10.30 - 18.00 Mon to Sat

Several TZ UK members are A&M customers . Eddie based his Smiths PRS 28 Radio Room watch on a Smiths Astral Radio Room clock I bought from A&M https://www.timefactors.com/smithsprs28.htm

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 20th February 2020 at 01:32.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Blog Entries
    Brilliant Dunk, thanks.

Master
    Dave try this one out he is my watchmaker and clock repairer.....

Www.kelvedonclocks.co.uk

The owner is Chris Papworth his number is 01376*573434

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Horologos View Post
    Dave try this one out he is my watchmaker and clock repairer.....

Www.kelvedonclocks.co.uk

The owner is Chris Papworth his number is 01376*573434
    Thanks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Evening all,

I had a lovely present set up for my sister and her fiance for their wedding on 29th of Feb. However, the wheels have fallen off that so am now looking at the idea of either a vintage mantle clock or maybe a wall clock, (a mini grandfather clock?!)
    I have very little knowledge of these so am asking the communal experts for guidance of a) what to look for and b) where to source it on the hurry up.

Something with an Irish connection would be great.

Budget is £600. I know this isn't a wtb post but if anyone has something suitable, feel free to PM.

Thanks in advance

Dave
    Dave, it would be great if you could post up anything nice/interesting that you come across whilst looking.

I’ve had £500 sat in an account for nearly 2 years since my grandad died. He wasn’t a particularly well off man, so despite it not being a large sum of money in relative terms, it means a lot to me. I was thinking about buying a watch which I could then pass on but have been thinking about a nice clock instead. Perhaps something with a similar vintage to the little old fella himself (1930) though not essential.

I too know sod all about vintage clocks though so haven’t been sure where to start.

Be really interesting to see what you come across.

Cheers

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by danoafc; 22nd February 2020 at 16:09.