closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Barbados Trip-Tips

Master

Barbados Trip-Tips

Without this sounding like some willy waving thread me and the Mrs are leaving the brood behind and going to Barbados for a week next Wednesday.
    Staying in St Lawrence Gap so not over Sandy Lane territory.
    Anyhow,we're there for a week so looking for any tips;bars,restaurants(both love seafood) and any trips worth doing.
    Also is Bridgetown worth a visit or best left alone.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Hood; 19th February 2020 at 22:14.

St Lawrence Gap is quite lively at night - lots of bars and food places. Primo (next to the church) is pretty nice to for eats. Some decent beach walks in the bay (Dover Beach). Oistins has a good vibe and great street food seafood on Friday evenings.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

If you do fancy making the trip up to Holetown (get on a yellow bus), there's a couple of good watch shops in the gallery there - everything Richemont including IWC, Panerai and JLC plus some other high-end shops. Some nice places to eat around there too.

Order your food an hour before you want to eat it. Very difference pace out there but such a good holiday. Banks beer and mount gay rum are also good. If someone offers you fresh aloe Vera on the beach take it although it'll probably be in an empty mount gay bottle.

Deffo jump on a Reggae bus, we used them all the time to run up and down the coast.

Felt like a fish out of water in Bridgetown. There is a Rolex AD, but nothing exciting.

Best thing we did was go on a catamaran tour, drinks and food included. Ran along the coast, great music, beer and atmosphere, on the bus back went to Rihanna’s humble abode.

I don’t think we scratched the surface, went out to another side of the island and the power of the sea and waves was immense.

Enjoy your holiday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can also recommend a catamaran tour. We also asked the hotel to find us a decent taxi driver for the day (or fair part of it) and did a tour of the island. It’s a great way to see everything and you do it at your own pace. The east side of the island is worth visiting to see the difference in the sea!
    We enjoyed hole town as well but not a fan of Bridgetown.

Our kids loved the reggae reggae buses, although most of the ones we got were drum and bass!! But worth experiencing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    We stayed on Maxwell Beach so just 5 mins from The Gap. Plenty of places down there to eat and if you go earlyish it’s not too busy.
    oistens is good but very busy.
    Rum punch is good - tip from our taxi driver was to take home a litre of the rum in a plastic bottle from the airport. Excellent and cheap.
    Catamaran tour and swimming with turtles was excellent.
    Last edited by craig1912; 19th February 2020 at 22:58.

Master
    As already said Holetown worth a trip and definitely go on the reggae bus. Tides restaurant is fantastic.

Bridgetown has a few watch shops - bought my first ever Rolex in the AD there in 2005. When back there in 2014 they had 2 deep sea blues!!

There’s a cool beach in Bridgetown called the boatyard whicH is around $12 to get in - great music, food and vibe. The cruise ships crew used to go there years ago (there’s a Facebook page). No been since 2014 but will be going back next month so hope it’s still as good as it was.

If you do a tour around the island you’ll get all the - Rhianna was born up that street, Wayne Rooney lives here, Simon Cowell lives there etc.

Island is small, but the people are really friendly and it’s a lovely holiday place. Enjoy!

Cruise ships still go to the Boatyard - can get busy, so worth checking if any ships are in.

Pirates Cove is on the same beach as the Boatyard and free to access, wifi and cheap beds/brollies.

Just got back - 30 degrees every day, nice time was had.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    As already said Holetown worth a trip and definitely go on the reggae bus. Tides restaurant is fantastic.

Bridgetown has a few watch shops - bought my first ever Rolex in the AD there in 2005. When back there in 2014 they had 2 deep sea blues!!

There’s a cool beach in Bridgetown called the boatyard whicH is around $12 to get in - great music, food and vibe. The cruise ships crew used to go there years ago (there’s a Facebook page). No been since 2014 but will be going back next month so hope it’s still as good as it was.

If you do a tour around the island you’ll get all the - Rhianna was born up that street, Wayne Rooney lives here, Simon Cowell lives there etc.

Island is small, but the people are really friendly and it’s a lovely holiday place. Enjoy!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I went years ago but this was good

https://www.barbados.atlantissubmarines.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best tip I can give you for Barbados is to take everything you need with you such as suntan lotion and so on. They import everything and the cost of goods at the local supermarkets are eyewateringly expensive. I remember seeing blocks of cheese for $30 (US Dollars!!!). Beautiful place though. As others have said, use the local mini buses to get around the island. They will stop to pick you up if you hale them and are very cheap.

Craftsman
    Holetown worth a night trip,Tides,One love bar and surfside area etc all in close proximity. Bridgetown just shops really but the Cat trip will take you there and the cat is a must do,good day out for all ages. Barbados is a safe island but if you like late nights and gettin out there it’s prob best not to wave a 10k Rolex about on a dark back street,same as the UK really!

Craftsman
    If you fancy something different there's a Submarine trip you can go on, only small but a real one.

Craftsman
    Go quite often and love the place. Rent a car and explore the island. Pop over to bathsheba it should be lovely at this time of the year. Driving is fairly easy. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    We went a good few years ago - As other have said the Catamaran cruises are rather special. We went with Tiami cruises out of Bridgetown; a quick google suggests they are still operating. We were lucky enough to be able to snorkel with turtles and hand feed them which was one of those experiences that sticks in the mind.

We also took a heli-tour of the island - fascinating to see the extreme contrast between West and East coasts.

Harrisons Cave

If I remember correctly, there is a picnic garden by the stream, and a nature walk around the back of the main entrance to the caves.
    Hire a car to fully explore the local area, and you won't be limited to a 2-hour bus trip type of excursion.
    http://www.harrisonscave.com/blog

Crane Beach – some rollicking East Coast waves that’ll turn you upside down if you’re not watchful

Jolly Roger Pirate Ship – full day outing, with food & unlimited booze included. Corny (pirate costumes & walking the plank), but tremendous fun. On the way out, you can snorkel & swim with turtles, before anchoring off Sandy Lane. The booze flows freely the whole time, but the return journey is mental – the music gets cranked up and everyone goes crazy. Watch the rum punch, it's lethal.

Mount Gay Rum Tour – good food, tour of production, and lots of rum (unsurprisingly)

Reggae Buses – definitely have a go on these, the journey is as much an experience as your destination

Bridgetown – not that much to entice, but a few watch shops as mentioned. Turtles swim in the bay and the Kensington Oval cricket ground is a short stroll away.

Holetown is where we normally stay, and the Sandy Lane beach is not far, if you like celeb-spotting. Surfside is a terrific little sports bar where you can break-up your beers by hiring jet skis on the beach.

Restaurants – Tides, Cliff, Nishi, Lone Star for higher-end and Fish Pot, Beach House, Mullins for more relaxed dining. Much fun is to be had at the little road-side shacks and roti bars.

The people are friendly and the pace is relaxed. The food is excellent – I’m pretty much addicted to the yellow hot sauce they serve there. Banks is also very refreshing.

The fresh aloe vera tip from the guys selling it on the beach is a good one – provides relief for sunburn & bites.

Master
    Great tips fellas
    Much appreciated
    Will definitely book the Catamaran trip and explore the other options.