closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 40 of 40

Thread: Rolex 16710 service: pics and info

  1. #1
    Master ditchvisitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,809
    Blog Entries
    1

    Rolex 16710 service: pics and info

    Yesterday I sent my 16710 off to Sean Yates at About Time for a full service and some repair work, I had chatted to him via WhatsApp a number of times about various questions I had and this morning he received the watch.

    As soon it was received all the details were added to part of his website that you can log onto and see the progress, any info about repairs and all the current photos that have been taken. Being that I love engineering and have a love of all things mechanical it’s going to be great to see the progress and photo updates. It’s also a pet hate of mine that sometimes when items such as watches/cars etc go away to be serviced that you hardly ever get updated as to how it’s going.

    We had already agreed to replace the crystal with a genuine Rolex part as my one has a number of chips on the edges, the rotor was also very noisy and Sean suggested that the rotor axle was goosed. On inspection it is indeed knackered and again a new genuine a Rolex part will be fitted.

    Just to be clear, I have absolutely no affiliation etc with the service I am using, just thought it would be interesting to share the process.

    This is the areas you can log onto and all the details that are available:


    These are the photos so far:





    The dried out and worn out rotor, essentially highlighting the importance of servicing!


    Last edited by ditchvisitor; 19th February 2020 at 22:10.

  2. #2
    Master paneristi372's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barrowford
    Posts
    2,163
    Great service. You can't fault that. Especially with the rumours the RSC have increased their service by 20%. Very reasonable.

  3. #3
    Craftsman FellBasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    North West UK
    Posts
    406
    It looks like they offer an excellent service, reassuring to see in detail how the repairs are progressing. Thanks for posting ditchvisitor, such an important spect of any service to keep the customer updated, great to see it here. Makes me consider a service for my expl II, may I ask how long it has been since your GMT had a service? Just for reference as I consider the insides of my own!

    Jon

  4. #4
    Master ditchvisitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,809
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by FellBasher View Post
    It looks like they offer an excellent service, reassuring to see in detail how the repairs are progressing. Thanks for posting ditchvisitor, such an important spect of any service to keep the customer updated, great to see it here. Makes me consider a service for my expl II, may I ask how long it has been since your GMT had a service? Just for reference as I consider the insides of my own!

    Jon
    Exactly my thought process, once Sean had explained how he works and how everything was documented I was sold. Last documented paperwork I have is for a RSC service in 2010, judging by the state of the axle I would assume that was the last time!!

  5. #5
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Isle of Man
    Posts
    101
    What's the brown stuff in the last photo? Is that rust or dried lube?

  6. #6
    Informative post, thanks for this. I have a couple of Rolexes which need a service so will definitely check out Sean's services.

  7. #7
    Master ditchvisitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,809
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    What's the brown stuff in the last photo? Is that rust or dried lube?
    This is info Sean sent me:

    In short, exactly as expected, running well, in good physical condition but lots of dirt and debris in jewels etc, so ready for a service. The axle as suspected is ready to be replaced. The strange noise it was making is due to the axle/bearing being bone dry and grinding (it builds up into a red rusty dust, which youíll see in the microscope pictures, and is material that has ground off the axle.)

  8. #8
    Grand Master Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    17,198
    Very comprehensive and detailed work. Highly professional approach.
    Best Regards - Peter

    I hate being bipolar, its brilliant.

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,836
    Blog Entries
    2
    £200 for a service? Bloody good value that.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,192
    My current 114270 was serviced by Sean just before I bought it. It came with an A4 sheet detailing the work undertaken and an embedded photo of the stripped movement. My crystal was also swapped for a genuine, etched item.

    Heís local to me but only takes watches in by post (understandable), would love to see his workshop operation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Very professional


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    west midlands
    Posts
    1,279
    Very interesting.
    I would be interested in getting a watch of mine serviced there.
    I see that you can only post watches to him.
    Does anyone know you would do this with a watch valued over the £2.5k insured limit imposed by Royal Mail?

  13. #13
    Grand Master WORKSIMON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dreich Scotland
    Posts
    10,797
    Really interesting post, service and value look fantastic.
    Cheers

    Simon



    Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,933
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Very interesting.
    I would be interested in getting a watch of mine serviced there.
    I see that you can only post watches to him.
    Does anyone know you would do this with a watch valued over the £2.5k insured limit imposed by Royal Mail?
    You would take out additional insurance with a 3rd party insurer, there's lot of recommendations on here for various companies providing this service.

    I use ParcelPro but there are others.

  15. #15
    Craftsman Curtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Petersfield UK
    Posts
    356
    Fascinating and confidence inspiring. It also emphasizes the need for servicing, as there seems to be a growing number of people on TZ who advocate not to service their watches until they break!

    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

  16. #16
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Very interesting.
    I would be interested in getting a watch of mine serviced there.
    I see that you can only post watches to him.
    Does anyone know you would do this with a watch valued over the £2.5k insured limit imposed by Royal Mail?
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    You would take out additional insurance with a 3rd party insurer, there's lot of recommendations on here for various companies providing this service.

    I use ParcelPro but there are others.

    Just for complete clarity: Technically, items over £2500 are actually prohibited under special delivery so it shouldn't be used at all, though many do (including me in the past)

    Therefore if you choose to use it, insurance coverage should be for the full amount, rather than the difference between £2.5k and full value.

  17. #17
    Master colin t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post
    Just for complete clarity: Technically, items over £2500 are actually prohibited under special delivery so it shouldn't be used at all, though many do (including me in the past)

    Therefore if you choose to use it, insurance coverage should be for the full amount, rather than the difference between £2.5k and full value.
    I donít think theyíre actually prohibited are they?

    Isnít it the case that you can absolutely use the RMSD service for items exceeding £2500 in value, but they will be completely uninsured unless covered by a third party?

  18. #18
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I donít think theyíre actually prohibited are they?

    Isnít it the case that you can absolutely use the RMSD service for items exceeding £2500 in value, but they will be completely uninsured unless covered by a third party?
    I recently sent a watch for service and stumbled on their T&C's whilst pondering how to get my watch there, yep it's prohibited.

    https://www.royalmail.com/sites/roya...ions_dec18.pdf See close to the bottom of page 1 under "prohibitions, restrictions and undeliverable items"

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    west midlands
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post
    I recently sent a watch for service and stumbled on their T&C's whilst pondering how to get my watch there, yep it's prohibited.

    https://www.royalmail.com/sites/roya...ions_dec18.pdf See close to the bottom of page 1 under "prohibitions, restrictions and undeliverable items"
    So, is Parcel Pro the answer and do I take out separate insurance?

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    west midlands
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    So, is Parcel Pro the answer and do I take out separate insurance?

    I just found a thread reccomending Sercus, so I assume shippng with Parcel Pro et al and insure with somebody like Sercus

    https://www.secursus.com/secursus.php

  21. #21
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    So, is Parcel Pro the answer and do I take out separate insurance?
    Despite the T&C's I ended up using Special Delivery and took the risk, since then I'm sure I've read of other options on various threads here but I'm unable to point you in the correct direction, sorry. Perhaps some searching will yield results.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Yesterday I sent my 16710 off to Sean Yates at About Time for a full service and some repair work, I had chatted to him via WhatsApp a number of times about various questions I had and this morning he received the watch.

    As soon it was received all the details were added to part of his website that you can log onto and see the progress, any info about repairs and all the current photos that have been taken. Being that I love engineering and have a love of all things mechanical it’s going to be great to see the progress and photo updates. It’s also a pet hate of mine that sometimes when items such as watches/cars etc go away to be serviced that you hardly ever get updated as to how it’s going.

    We had already agreed to replace the crystal with a genuine Rolex part as my one has a number of chips on the edges, the rotor was also very noisy and Sean suggested that the rotor axle was goosed. On inspection it is indeed knackered and again a new genuine a Rolex part will be fitted.

    Just to be clear, I have absolutely no affiliation etc with the service I am using, just thought it would be interesting to share the process.

    This is the areas you can log onto and all the details that are available:


    These are the photos so far:





    The dried out and worn out rotor, essentially highlighting the importance of servicing!


    Great post!
    Thank you for sharing,kind Sir!

    Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    bolton
    Posts
    68
    Another good independent for future reference

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    374
    Thank for sharing...... looks like some great good value work

  25. #25
    Master ditchvisitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,809
    Blog Entries
    1
    Iíve just had an update on the watch service, absolutely love the workmanship and engineering that has gone into the movement, itís a shame itís never seen!!







  26. #26
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    402
    All that effort and he didn't replace the mainspring?

  27. #27
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    All that effort and he didn't replace the mainspring?
    Sorry to drop in like this, its Sean here from About Time Watch Repair. I can assure you the mainspring is always replaced during a service, apart from in some very rare circumstances. The old spring is simply shown in the photos as proof that it has been removed from the barrel, hope that clarify the service process!

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    397
    That looks very comprehensive - fascinating to be able to see all the detailing as it progresses.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Please share pics when all completed.

  29. #29
    Master ~dadam02~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    3,133
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by ATWR View Post
    Sorry to drop in like this, its Sean here from About Time Watch Repair. I can assure you the mainspring is always replaced during a service, apart from in some very rare circumstances. The old spring is simply shown in the photos as proof that it has been removed from the barrel, hope that clarify the service process!
    You've gained yourself a new customer here for sure, very impressive work.

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SE
    Posts
    3,300
    Quote Originally Posted by ATWR View Post
    Sorry to drop in like this, its Sean here from About Time Watch Repair. I can assure you the mainspring is always replaced during a service, apart from in some very rare circumstances. The old spring is simply shown in the photos as proof that it has been removed from the barrel, hope that clarify the service process!

    FYI Rolex recommends complete barrel replacement these days. In fact, for newer calibers the barrel is soldered shut so no choice really... :)

  31. #31
    Master Bernard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    3,106
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    FYI Rolex recommends complete barrel replacement these days. In fact, for newer calibers the barrel is soldered shut so no choice really... :)
    Another way the brands make the independent watchmakers life harder. 😒

    Barrels usually outlast a spring.

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SE
    Posts
    3,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Another way the brands make the independent watchmakers life harder. 

    Barrels usually outlast a spring.

    Yea but Rolex barrels are not expensive and a known issue is barrels opening in the movement, once reused too many times the friction worsens between barrel and lid. Also the time it takes to clean and lube/reassemble is worth about as much as a barrel complete.

  33. #33
    Master ditchvisitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,809
    Blog Entries
    1
    If it needed replacing it would have been, I said replace whatever needed doing.

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SE
    Posts
    3,300
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    If it needed replacing it would have been, I said replace whatever needed doing.
    "needed" is subjective, though. Im sure it will run perfectly well, I wish I could go independent but Rolex wont allow it. It's an oligopoly between ADs and RSCs and no matter how good or experienced you are, Rolex dont allow any new parts accounts.

  35. #35
    Master ditchvisitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,809
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    "needed" is subjective, though. Im sure it will run perfectly well, I wish I could go independent but Rolex wont allow it. It's an oligopoly between ADs and RSCs and no matter how good or experienced you are, Rolex dont allow any new parts accounts.
    Iím confused by what you mean by ďI wish I could go independentĒ ??? There are plenty of Rolex independents and this has had genuine new Rolex parts fitted.

  36. #36
    Master colin t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Iím confused by what you mean by ďI wish I could go independentĒ ??? There are plenty of Rolex independents and this has had genuine new Rolex parts fitted.
    I think 744ER is saying that he is a Rolex accredited watchmaker, and wants/needs to remain accredited.

  37. #37
    Really interesting post, thank you!

  38. #38
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird84 View Post
    Really interesting post, thank you!
    Agreed!

  39. #39
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    20
    Interesting post! :) Cool ! :) pictures looks exciting, gives the good energy when done ! :)

  40. #40
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Yea but Rolex barrels are not expensive and a known issue is barrels opening in the movement, once reused too many times the friction worsens between barrel and lid. Also the time it takes to clean and lube/reassemble is worth about as much as a barrel complete.
    Thanks 744ER, useful to know that that is standard practise now, but not really doable when youíre independent, as price for a barrel on the open market is around £100+. Itís more of an option with other makers such as ETA or Sellita, where the cost of a complete barrel is only around £20, compared to the spring alone cost of £10 or so. As you say, then the time involved in fitting a new spring makes it uneconomical to do.
    To be fair, Iíve only seen barrels opening in movements a few times, perhaps one in every few hundred, and usually on older calibres which have been serviced many many times.
    Of course if a barrel HAS popped open, then clearly itís worn and would need replacing!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information