closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London

London

As per title, heading to London in April with my wife and 2 kids, both boys 1 and 9 years old.
    We have Harry Potter world booked, body works and transport museum.
    Any other recommendations or must do’s.
    Also a good Italian restaurant that is kid friendly around Covent Garden?

Thanks 😀

Master
    Imperial War Museum and it's free.If you and your family are into that kind of thing.

Master

London

Bancone is very good and not too pricey, though I'd probably phone to see how they are with young kids. But there are loads of others if the children have a chain they favour. Franco Manca do good pizzas for instance.

Might be nice to go to the sky garden for the view if you're in the city centre.

https://skygarden.london/sky-garden

Stay away from M&M world unless you have a spare £50 you don't need burning a hole.

Might be cool to see what's on at the proper iMax maybe depending on if that's what you're into

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    Imperial War Museum and it's free.If you and your family are into that kind of thing.
    Or,of course,the Natural History Museum.....dinosaurs!
    If they like fish and stuff there is the London Aquarium and the Tower of London is also very good.

London has umpteen ‘must dos’. A bit of self help is the way to go

Start with Tripadvisor and look at the top 10 rated things to do in London.

Master
    Science museum, because space rockets! (plus there is the Clockmakers museum upstairs...)

I was involved in one of these London trips when I was a kid. What I and the family took away from it was there is a lot to do, don't try and do it all. It can get tiring quick.

Master
    Has to be dinosaurs at natural history museum then next door for science museum. A superb combo.

Master
    My boy loves (now 10) The Transport Museum. I'm probably brining him there again, this weekend, after a visit to Bond In Motion (more for me than him.) Both in Covent Garden.

Transport Museum

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/

Bond in Motion

http://londonfilmmuseum.com/

Thanks for all the replies, some more things to discuss with the missus.

Having been there with a 6 year old, we found Polpo in Maiden Lane to be child friendly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Or,of course,the Natural History Museum.....dinosaurs!
    If they like fish and stuff there is the London Aquarium and the Tower of London is also very good.
    T of L, £75 per adult. Cheaper to become a prisoner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, some more things to discuss with the missus.
    And your Bank Manager.

Kids will like the Rainforest Cafe.

Tube to Tower Bridge station then walk over Tower Bridge right over not the footpath. Then walk west along the south bank, past Shard, HMS Belfast, Golden Hind, Tate Modern, London eye finish at Big Ben, it’s a good 2-3 mile walk but loads to see on the way then get a boat ride back to the start and do the Tower of London.

Book it all online to save. Few quid.

We're there right now.
    Tesco vouchers for the London Eye were a real win. (sort early)
    The Shard will be next year, as its £99 for a family ticket. It is incredible though.
    The queue outside the National History museum at 3pm in half term was about 90 mins long.
    The kids love the Tube as expected, but man it's stressful.
    The traffic is abysmal still, despite ULEZ.
    The food choices are amazing, literally anything, anytime.
    The Airbnb choices are crap and unreliable, we had 2 separate bookings cancel on us since I bought the trains tickets in Sept.
    We're doing School of Rock the Musical tomorrow, and maybe the Emirates Air Line as I've got a mate to visit over there.

You still can't beat London, and it's been 15 years since I lived there.

Oh, and the Citymapper app is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Has to be dinosaurs at natural history museum then next door for science museum. A superb combo.
    Couldn’t agree more - a wonderful day out with the kids, but very tiring! Take sandwiches and snacks as eating out around there can be a bit hit and miss and crowded.

A stroll on the south bank is also nice if the weather’s good and they often have child friendly events on at the Barbican centre. The London aquarium and London eye are just there too.

We went on a duck tours tour a couple of summer ago, which was good fun but I’ve since read some terrible safety reports about them.

Also don’t dismiss the parks - I particularly like Regent’s Park, the Primrose Hill side where some of it backs on to London zoo.

Hope you and the little ones have a wonderful time whatever you end up doing.

So much to do but I always recommend the Tower of London, but you have to get on a beefeater tour (included) they are really good fun, kids will love it actually you all will. Fun factual history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone hasn't already recommended it I'd give a big thumbs up to the excellent Bond in Motion exhibition at Covent Garden.

We went a few weeks ago, and it's fantastic. Amazing cars (Astons, Submarine Lotus etc etc), boats, Little Nellie and even the jet plane from Octopussy.

Brilliantly presented, and a great way to spend an hour or two!
    So clever my foot fell off.

Others have mentioned Imperial War Museum and Natural History Museum. The latter in particular is great for kids. London Zoo, too, if you have time.

I’m from east London and a lot of where I grew up has been gentrified now. If you wanna do something cheap and cheerful in that neck of the woods, have a drink and some food round by the quays at Canary Wharf. From there jump on the DLR to Island Gardens and walk through the foot tunnel to Greenwich Park, it’s lovely there and you’ll see the Cuttys Ark and can go to the Observatory - the Planetarium is there now, for the kids, but also they have a lot of historically important marine chronometers on display if that floats your horological boat. From there you can head to North Greenwich station and across the way (to the right of the O2) is the Emirates cable cars that take you back across the river - you can just jump on them using your oyster, cheap as chips and your 9 year old will love it. Great views on a clear day and better than the overpriced London Eye.

Enjoy👍

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    They are not anything of the sort. I don't know what you are looking at but even if you go on the official Tower of London website a family ticket will cost you £69 tops. Adult tickets are £27 tops and kids £13 tops.

James Bond museum is a definite now.
    All big fans in this house 😀

Journeyman
    Franco Manca, Amazing pizza and very reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    They are not anything of the sort. I don't know what you are looking at but even if you go on the official Tower of London website a family ticket will cost you £69 tops. Adult tickets are £27 tops and kids £13 tops.

Thats more like it, friend of mine was over from the states with his kids and he actually mentioned how good value it was. The number of people there was less appreciated. They gave up waiting at the Natural history museum.

Tower bridge tour is quite good, the views from the walkways are quite something and its cool going insode the towers.

For Central London they are actually reasonably priced, pretty much the same prices as in Newcastle

Quote Originally Posted by chriskibbledj View Post
    Franco Manca, Amazing pizza and very reasonably priced.

Nat history museum: turned up at 0930 for 1000 opening....
    Immediately ushered in. No queue.
    Today. Friday of half term!

Master
    Did the rainforest cafe last year and it was okay, but looked a bit tired.

Bodyworks was very good.

Shrek adventure is good for the 9 year old, and can be combined with the aquarium and or the eye.

A trip on the Thames and also the cable car by the 02 are also fun.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    If you're going to the Eye, the "Locale" restaurant behind County Hall is excellent. And if you're around South Ken for the museums, I can highly recommend Da Mario's.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    £27.50 if you pay on the gate (£24.70 if you buy online) or if you are going in by train you can usually get 2 for 1 tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    Some great ideas on this thread, but this really is your last chance and it will probably be something the 9yr old will remember forever.

https://tutankhamun-london.com/
    He loves all this as well 😂
    I’ll need a holiday after this break....😂

Lots of great suggestions but how about the National Martine museum, Cutty Sark and Greenwich. Ships, history and timekeeping. I suggest a boat trip as a way to get there.

Also HMS Belfast and the London Eye, then a walk past Waterloo Station, past St Thomas, over Waterloo Bridge past Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Parliament Sq, on to Downing Street, keep going to Trafalgar Sq, then turn left under Admiralty Arch, down the Mall, to Buckingham Palace, before walking around St James park and taking in St James Palace.

lots and lots of history and photo opportunities (and very cheap)

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    James Bond museum is a definite now.
    All big fans in this house 
    I went today with the boy. We both loved it. I know you were looking for an Italian, but we had a fun lunch in Flat Iron today: https://flatironsteak.co.uk/

Beware of pickpockets and muggers … don't wear a high end watch … and if by April the Coronavirus has hit London please consider taking necessary precautions if travelling by public transport.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/hms-belfast

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Beware of pickpockets and muggers … don't wear a high end watch … and if by April the Coronavirus has hit London please consider taking necessary precautions if travelling by public transport.

dunk
    Yes sad this, left my expensive watch at home, as i do when on summer or alpine holidays.
    It's insured when out of the house, but I don't want to be mugged or smash it.
    I wear it the other 48 wks of the year. It is £7k

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post

dunk
    Lived in London all my life, never been mugged, had loads of nice watches, not every corner holds a mugger, highwayman, drug dealer or rapist...

Take a reasonable approaches to risk and you’ll be fine. Quite a few people in town still wear our high end watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Lived in London all my life, never been mugged, had loads of nice watches, not every corner holds a mugger, highwayman, drug dealer or rapist...

Take a reasonable approaches to risk and you’ll be fine. Quite a few people in town still wear our high end watches.
    Yes, you are right, but I'm doing tourist things, watching the performers on the South Bank, milling round Covent Garden and gawping at Ritz/BuckPalace/LeicesterSQ In short I am prime daft tourist mugging potential and I just can't be bothered. The £20 swatch does me fine.
    Commuting and working and not looking like a tourist idiot is a safer profile, perhaps.
    Anyhow, London is as safe as you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

They work in groups … and have targeted one of our well known members

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...light=arrested

… and beware of Covent Garden purse/ wallet snatchers and pickpockets … they also work in groups. A friend lost two wallets in Covent Garden within 12 months … and she was careful. Her shoulder bag was opened by the thieves.
    Last edited by sundial; 23rd February 2020 at 14:15. Reason: typo
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

A long shot I know but the premiere of James Bond is on when we are down, how hard is it to get tickets for these events for the people in the know.

Thanks a lot 😀

Master
    Megabus Open Top bus tour is really good vfm. Departs from near Jubilee Gardens near Waterloo and the London Eye. We took the kids on one of these in early December when the Xmas lights were up and it was great - if a bit nippy. Ticked most of the major sight-seeing boxes. I think it was £35 for a two hour tour for the four of us. Handy for the South Bank Food Market which is full of pop-up stalls selling street food from around the world.

Master
    As per title, heading to London in April with my wife and 2 kids, both boys 1 and 9 years old.
    We have Harry Potter world booked, body works and transport museum.
    Any other recommendations or must do’s.
    Also a good Italian restaurant that is kid friendly around Covent Garden?

Thanks 
    Hi Chukas,

Did you manage to go in the end - what did you do?

Planning to do something similar with 4 kids on my own!!

Dont know if it will be mega busy this summer with staycations, summer hols and the 19th July restrictions being lifted etc.

Might live to regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Hi Chukas,

Did you manage to go in the end - what did you do?

Planning to do something similar with 4 kids on my own!!

Dont know if it will be mega busy this summer with staycations, summer hols and the 19th July restrictions being lifted etc.

Might live to regret it.
    We never went in the end for obvious reasons, just home from a long weekend in Edinburgh, our first family break since the pandemic.

Hoping to go in October and tie it in with our family holiday as we fly out of London.

You should go for it though

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

London with 4 kids

Rather than start a new thread, i thought i would continue with this one as it has some good info.

So, now that weve decided to go on a trip to London, i'd give some details and hopefully gain some insights;

I will be heading to Harrow on a weekend and decided that i should probably do the london thing whilst im there, so its me and 4 others 19 (disabled), 11, 8 & 4.

Thought i would find a hotel near harrow (so the other members can stay in the hotel whilst i finish my meeting) and then we can stay 2 nights and do things over the following two days.

A hotel that accommodates 5 is tough to find but i found this one, its next to a tube station and has parking, and only 7 miles from my meeting. any thoughts?

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/lon...on-park-royal/

i was thinking of one in central but will have to pay congestion charge, ulez charge and daily parking (although the above hotel is £15/night).

any thoughts on the hotel/location?

i also mentioned that the 19 year old is disabled - will this be an issue travelling on the tube etc not wheelchair bound but cant walk long distances without a break.

p.s. haven't been to London in possibly 20+ years so treat me like a novice

Master
    Where you're staying isn't the most wonderful area, shall we say, but it is fairly convenient. I don't know anything about the hotel.

Regarding tube travel, you should be broadly speaking OK if you try to plan around the tube stations which have step free access: https://tfl.gov.uk/transport-accessi...on-this-page-1

Blog Entries
    I know Park Royal fairly well as I used to work between there and Acton - not the nicest or easiest place, even though it has the tube.

I also lived in Harrow for many years - and depending on which direction you're coming from (especially if it's the North) then Watford may be a better bet.

It's only 5 miles Watford centre to Harrow centre and with the Met tube line connecting Watford with Harrow-on-the-Hill or Watford Junction to Harrow & Wealdstone on the Overground, it's very easy to get back and forth. For trips into London you could use either the Met line or Watford Junction-Euston on the overground, which is less than 30mins. Either way should give plenty of opportunity to break the journey and have a rest if needed.

Have a good stay and enjoy your trip.

Well after a lengthy delay (COVID related obviously) and a hotel change, we are coming down in a couple of weeks to tie in with the February school holidays.
    Staying at St James Court and looking forward to doing some of the suggestions above.

The last touristy thing I did before I left was a walking tour of Brunel's (the father) London, mostly by the riverside, and it was very interesting. Not terribly long, started at 10:30, had lunch in the Mayflower for a bit of historical interest.

Master
    Keep an eye on https://www.timeout.com/london.
    They list events on weekly basis.
    From paid for events/museums to freebies.

Take note of the quiet times to travel on the underground, which should help avoid the congested lines.
    https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/bu...imes-to-travel