closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Brand or the Watch?

The Brand or the Watch?

Anyone got any particular brands they’d like to own simply because of the brand, rather than lusting after a specific model? Within reason of course, I’m not gonna start listing AP/PP/VC as my budget doesn’t stretch that far.

I’ve owned Seiko, Casio, Orient, Timex, Steinhart, TAG and Tudor. For some reason I have a real hankering for a Hamilton, even though I don’t really need one and am not sure on a model (38mm khaki field probably the classic choice). I can’t even explain why. I think it’s because I’ve read some bits online and watched some stuff on YT, and I quite like the brand heritage - even though it’s been displaced somewhat with the Swatch takeover.

Does anyone else find themselves lusting after brands, or is purchasing driven by models, and roles a watch would play in a collection rather than the brand choice?

Not really

Brands, not really. I lusted after a Radiomir for a long time and tried a few homages but none worked, none were the Panerai... so I suppose you might be able to force the point that I wanted a Panerai but I'd say I didn't just want a Panerai, any Panerai, I wanted a Radiomir, with a sandwich dial and small seconds.

Neither brand nor a 'role' in a 'collection'. Don't consider myself a collector. I just buy when a particular watch pushes my buttons (not much TBH - I've been 'spoilt' by the Air Ministry) and that I can afford.

Craftsman
    Sort off, I like different brands more than others, and will look out for models I like more with my liked brands. I wouldn't buy a watch I didn't like, just because of the brand.

But if a watch turns up and I like it, then no matter what brand I would consider buying it.

Watch first, and then to some extent, brand. I am a VERY impulsive buyer. I want All The Things.

ALL of them.

I suppose I am falling under the influence of the lesser (and subsumed) Swiss brands, I keep buying them - Certina, Edox, Zeno, Mido, Fortis, Oris, O&W, Glycine, Alpina so far, and they keep exceeding expectations / price points. So some residual brand snobbery is there I guess.

For me it would be the watch first but then for some reason the obsessive bit of my brain switches on occasionally and then I have to try to obtain every watch the brand / maker makes (CWC & Marathon)

Master
    I long wanted a Zenith, given their heritage, and recently acquired one thanks to SC [a Tipo CP-2].

For similar reasons I'd also like a JLC, but Richemont service horror stories deter me.

Journeyman
    I always go after specific model, but there is one exception - Blancpain... I would like to try anything from them really.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Neither brand nor a 'role' in a 'collection'. Don't consider myself a collector. I just buy when a particular watch pushes my buttons (not much TBH - I've been 'spoilt' by the Air Ministry) and that I can afford.
    I have been spoiled by the PRS-29a also so I second that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Anyone got any particular brands they’d like to own simply because of the brand, rather than lusting after a specific model? Within reason of course, I’m not gonna start listing AP/PP/VC as my budget doesn’t stretch that far.

I’ve owned Seiko, Casio, Orient, Timex, Steinhart, TAG and Tudor. For some reason I have a real hankering for a Hamilton, even though I don’t really need one and am not sure on a model (38mm khaki field probably the classic choice). I can’t even explain why. I think it’s because I’ve read some bits online and watched some stuff on YT, and I quite like the brand heritage - even though it’s been displaced somewhat with the Swatch takeover.

Does anyone else find themselves lusting after brands, or is purchasing driven by models, and roles a watch would play in a collection rather than the brand choice?
    I would recommend the Hamilton Khaki mechanical all day long. I really center my buying around military/field watches but not just any one. If it doesn't appeal to me then I am not interested.

Master
    It's all about the watch for me.
    I hate TAG but want a Monaco
    I dislike Breitling but bought a SuperOcean Heritage as it's gorgeous
    I want an AP which may be brand not watch, but its got to be a ROO
    I own several Corums in various designs, Bubbles, Trapeze, Romvlvs
    Quite a few Rados, and lots of random stuff, from oddball vendors, but it's all about the watch for me.

Grand Master
    I love vintage Omegas but detest the current incarnation of the brand, it started to go wrong between 2005 and 2010 for me, culminating in the decision by Swatch Group to stop supplying Omega parts from Dec 2014 to wholesalers.

To a degree. I’m currently a little bit obsessed with getting hold of a Damasko and initially I thought ANY Damasko would do. Then when one comes up for sale, the logical bit of my brain (the very small section that’s mostly laying around doing nothing these days ;-) ) kicks in. At that point I realise I need to be a little bit sensible and make sure the watch actually appeals, fits and is affordable.

In general though, it’s specific watches that appeal, to the extent that I’ll hunt them down almost obsessively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the brand not the soul of a watch?

I like to know who is behind a product, i like bonding.

BUBI 0_0

Master
    Buy the watches you like, I have many brands from Rolex to Casio and enjoy them all.

It's always been Titoni for me, even to the point I've bought watches I didn't really like the design of. Pretty daft huh?
    On the other hand, I've always supported the underdog and I do like the fact they are the last of the proper original-family-owned Swiss watchmakers and not part of some massive faceless conglomerate.

Master
    If the watch looks nice then I go for it, irrespective of brand.

Firstly, I decide on the type of watch I want (diver, pilot, dressy or whatever). Brand isn't as important as function.

Then being a canny Scot, I check ma sporran.

Having an idea of type & budget, I can then look for a nexus.

I then typically procrastinate for several weeks/months & buy a different type of watch at a different price point

We've all done it: in fact, I've done it scores of times...
    ______

​Jim.

Not brands per se, but I developed a cut off date, I.e. everything post 1995 with the exception of my Panerai (based on a watch first made in the 1960's).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Is the brand not the soul of a watch?

I like to know who is behind a product, i like bonding.

BUBI 0_0
    I can quite see this point of view and my favourite brand is Omega.

There are, of course, a few models I don’t like but there are a lot I do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    It's always been Titoni for me, even to the point I've bought watches I didn't really like the design of. Pretty daft huh?
    On the other hand, I've always supported the underdog and I do like the fact they are the last of the proper original-family-owned Swiss watchmakers and not part of some massive faceless conglomerate.
    Absolutely.
    And... I miss my Madison.

BUBI 0_0

Almost always it’s about the specific watch. A recent example would be my most recent acquisition - the Muehle-Glasshutte Seebataillon. I read an article about it in Watchville and absolutely fell in love with it - yet the brand had never been on my radar at all.

I say almost always... the exception in my case was DOXA. I had always felt that ultimately the best orange-dialled diver was a DOXA Sub Professional, so I set out to acquire one based on my perception of the brand. Finding my ultimate version in the form of the 1500t came later...

Simon

I buy watches because I like them, irrespective of brand. Having said that, there are certain brands that I wouldn't buy, regardless.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I buy watches because I like them, irrespective of brand. Having said that, there are certain brands that I wouldn't buy, regardless.
    Totally agree although brand does influence what I'm prepared to pay and if I buy new or used.

I wouldn't call it lusting but there are brands I look towards in hope to find something suitable from their collections someday. Mido and Orient come to mind as examples.

I think I go brand first.

It gives a signal of quality, sizing, fit, price point, history, geography, resale, service ease, or else some cultural reference.

I do also find myself asking “what does this brand say about me?” Increasingly, I want to slip under the radar. When I was younger I desperately wanted to be seen.

The brands I am drawn to most now are Grand Seiko, Zenith, Lange, Casio. But don’t own models from any as there is not one specific model that has totally nailed the equilibrium between: price I can afford, availability and appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    My eyes have picked a Cartier over a Rolex in the past and a Tudor GMT over a Rolex BLRO in the present. So, basically I’m a design guy but the design my eyes vote for happen to be always made by a relatively well know brand.

It's always the watch for me, but very broadly speaking certain brands have a design language that tends to appeal, or not.

I have / have had numerous Sinn's & Seiko's, quite a few Rolex & Damasko's but I've never had a Cartier, Graham or Corum. That said, if either of those brands made something that really appealed, I'd not discount it.

I'm not a fan of Breitling on the whole, but I really like my Aerospace Evo Night Mission.
    Last edited by andy tims; 21st February 2020 at 11:37.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Look of the watch first - but that may be swayed by my childhood. I like the DNA of Rolex sports/professional watches a lot for example.

I have favoured brands, but love a small number of models or model lines from lots of different brands.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    It's all about the watch for me.
    I hate TAG but want a Monaco
    I dislike Breitling but bought a SuperOcean Heritage as it's gorgeous
    I want an AP which may be brand not watch, but its got to be a ROO
    I own several Corums in various designs, Bubbles, Trapeze, Romvlvs
    Quite a few Rados, and lots of random stuff, from oddball vendors, but it's all about the watch for me.
    This mostly...
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I believe a watch should stand on its own merits. IMO buying a brand first indicates a triumph of marketing over good sense.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    I believe a watch should stand on its own merits. IMO buying a brand first indicates a triumph of marketing over good sense.
    I agree fully. If I don't like the design or specs or it just doesn't speak to me I won't buy it, the brand has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Yes indeed, applicable across the board.
    Last edited by Passenger; 21st February 2020 at 07:58.

Like some others, there are some brands who make a lot of watches I like, but I never want 'a XXXX'.

There are just watches I like and those, when I feel I can afford them, I buy.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I`m more concerned with the quality of a brand`s product rather than the image of the brand.

Many people really do buy watches for the image of the brand.

I believe a good chunk of Rolex / Omega buyers are seduced by the image of the brands although they wouldn't admit it.

Master
    No the watch has got to be aesthetically pleasing to me, can't admire a brand name on my wrist, but the reverse has been true, I've wanted certain watches but the brand has put me off usually due to very poor resale and tough to move.

Master
    Breitling for me,
    Colin.

Craftsman
    Watch first then the brand for example the breitling navitimer 01 is a watch I love but not so
    Keen on a lot of other breitling models. Lobe a heritage mind you. Hard to wear a watch just for the label I presume

Quote Originally Posted by cgs View Post
    Breitling for me,
    Colin.
    I thought that might be your response, Col!

Simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    If I'm honest, I gravitate toward Seiko and Rolex almost exclusively these days. But I'd buy a watch from a different brand if I liked it of course, (last two purchases were Tudor and Casio).

Somewhat of a conflict for me. I base my choices on the watch and not the brand but if I like a watch from a brand then it gives the brand more appeal and if two watches appeal equally then I would be more likely to choose a watch from a brand I know.

What I wear is irrelevant. I am always going to be wearing something and there again something different in a few days time. Which is going to be absolutely different to what it was ten years ago...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    What I wear is irrelevant. I am always going to be wearing something and there again something different in a few days time. Which is going to be absolutely different to what it was ten years ago...
    Great point, I guess I never looked at it from that perspective. I know that I have really only been real interested in watches in the last year and a half and it has taken me through some different likes and dislikes as well as a few flipped watches. That being said I have narrowed down a couple of things that I look for in a watch. First it still doesn't matter about brand really but it does matter about size. I will not buy a watch greater than 38mm and 47mm lug to lug no matter how much I might like the looks of the watch. Really prefer the 36-37mm, they just wear so much better on my wrist. The other thing that I really like is the field/military style and that looks to be what I will be interested in for some time to come.