closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Service Prices up ~20%

Master

Exclamation Rolex Service Prices up ~20%

Just got sent the new RRPs price list for Rolex services.... its in SEK but should translate to GBP rather well since it's a similar VAT, 20% vs 25%.

A standard Professional model service, 116610LN for instance, is up from 6550:- to 7950:- SEK, so approx from £510 to £625. Datejusts are circa £580 etc...

I'm sure someone will get the UK pricelist shortly as it's a global thing.

Rolex isn't the great value proposition now that it used to be....

TBF Rolex service centres have been cheaper than Breitling, JLC etc. for a long while.

They are now all overpriced!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    The options for getting a Rolex serviced are now limited, the number of accredited Rolex indys is in decline, Rolex don`t really want these guys so they make it harder and harder for them.

The prices they charge are crazy, around £350-£400 would be more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    TBF Rolex service centres have been cheaper than Breitling, JLC etc. for a long while.

They are now all overpriced!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    That’s not necessarily true as I had a breitling auto day/date serviced last year for £450

Master
    Is that effective immediately?

Master
    I guess the indies will follow suit before long too? Or will this lead to even more of a value proposition in staying away from Manufacture servicing?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    I guess the indies will follow suit before long too? Or will this lead to even more of a value proposition in staying away from Manufacture servicing?
    How are you going to get your watch serviced if still under warranty? As I'm sure going outside of the manufacturer's "walled garden" the warranty would be invalid.

Even out of warranty you'll still have to go to an accredited indie (not that there are many left) due to parts supply.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    How are you going to get your watch serviced if still under warranty? As I'm sure going outside of the manufacturer's "walled garden" the warranty would be invalid.

Even out of warranty you'll still have to go to an accredited indie (not that there are many left) due to parts supply.
    Just clarifying - I meant independents who are Rolex accredited, who might not also raise their prices 20%? I wasn’t talking about servicing within warranty, I meant when it needs it (a few years out of warranty hopefully).

Craftsman
    Can you request Rolex not to polish the case when it's sent for service? That always puts me off a service from them.

Master
    Last year I had a full service on an Aerospace (had a crown issue) and it was about £80 cheaper than the Explorer II that was serviced a month after. I thought it was Breitling that was taking the pee.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    Can you request Rolex not to polish the case when it's sent for service? That always puts me off a service from them.
    Yes

Master
    Just clarifying - I meant independents who are Rolex accredited, who might not also raise their prices 20%? I wasn’t talking about servicing within warranty, I meant when it needs it (a few years out of warranty hopefully).
    Independents will soon be a thing of the past from the looks of it, but yes they should follow suit as parts prices have gone up sharply too lately.

Rolex accreditation means that you have to accept what Rolex tells you if you wish to maintain it.

If you're told to increase your prices, or buy certain tools, or have a specific working environment, you do it.

If you don't, you won't have that important accreditation (and access to parts via Rolex UK etc.) for very long...
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Rolex accreditation means that you have to accept what Rolex tells you if you wish to maintain it.

If you're told to increase your prices, or buy certain tools, or have a specific working environment, you do it.

If you don't, you won't have that important accreditation (and access to Rolex parts etc.) for very long...
    As a boring lawyer, that’s very interesting from a competition law perspective if so. Mind you, I imagine there’s a lot of issues from that perspective the more you think about the watch industry in general.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Independents will soon be a thing of the past from the looks of it, but yes they should follow suit as parts prices have gone up sharply too lately.
    They’ll have no choice then either way! Sad times, it’s getting a bit mad for a standard Rolex service.

Master
    They’ll have no choice then either way! Sad times, it’s getting a bit mad for a standard Rolex service.
    Yea but as a percentage of what the watch costs its roughly the same or in some cases lower... A case of dont hate the players, hate the game? :D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Yea but as a percentage of what the watch costs its roughly the same or in some cases lower... A case of dont hate the players, hate the game? :D
    Haha, aye, very fair point :)

Master
    I suppose if someone feels that Rolex are charging too much, they could sell their Rolex and pocket a nice dollop of money. Then they are happy, the new owner is happy and the world is once again a happy place.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I suppose if someone feels that Rolex are charging too much, they could sell their Rolex and pocket a nice dollop of money. Then they are happy, the new owner is happy and the world is once again a happy place.
    Logic's a bit flawed Mick. Lets take the case of someone who bought a Rolex back in the late 90s when they were far more affordable and the service costs were much lower. They're still happy with the watch and it's got lots of sentimental value, but their eyes will water when asked to pay £600+ to service it! I had a 1986 Datejust serviced by Bill Rice in 2009 and the price was £173 which seemed a lot, I guess Rolex SC would've charged around £200. Now that figure's approaching £600, which is a big increase over the timeframe.

The people who bought these watches in the past didn't sign on to the current service charges. This is even more true for Omega, it's only 5 years since anyone could buy anything for an Omega and all independent repairers were happy to work on them. The owners had paid around £1200 for a watch that could be serviced for £100, fast forward a few years and that's all changed.

There was a time when parts for all watches were freely available and manufacturers made technical service data available too. This was the case when the Swiss watch industry was fighting for its very survival in the 70s/early 80s following the quartz revolution.....now look where we've ended up!

They can argue all they like about protecting the brands, quality assurance, customers best interests, but the situation we've reached is absurd. There will be no repair trade left in a few years.

Has anyone had their Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, <Insert car manufacturer> serviced recently by a main dealer?

Plus remember that most cars need servicing every 12 months, where as a watch (which might be worth more than a car), only requires it every 10 years. Plus it's unlikely that you will get 5 years guarantee with your car after it's serviced.

Perspective is important.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Isn't the Rolex guarantee from service 2 years? Only 5 years at point of purchase. WoS give an additional 5 years on top.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Isn't the Rolex guarantee from service 2 years? Only 5 years at point of purchase. WoS give an additional 5 years on top.
    Correct. Though properly serviced a modern Rolex should run about 10 years no problem under normal use.