closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ex display watch

Ex display watch

Would be grateful for general views on how much in the way of scuffs and scratches any of you would deem acceptable on an ex display watch? The watch is an omega with a 50% discount. Sorry for being vague but currently in discussion with the seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    For 50% off I’d think all of them.

50% off an Omega, sounds like a lot of scratches, but if they can be rectified then not a problem. However, it is really hard to comment as your original question is so vague. Maybe some examples would help to quantify the range within which you are pitching your question.

It’s a 38mm constellation. Scratches to the bracelet which I can cope with. It also has scratching to the top and bottom of the bezel which bother me more. Of course nearly all of the watch is brushed steel and marks easily.

Sounds iffy, when someone picks up a very expensive watch in a shop you have to assume a member of staff would be standing right there in the face.

The customer would generally handle it with great care and the staff also when putting it back.

Yes some signs of use may be present as expected but there shouldn't be scratches much at all.

Very light marks and rub marks maybe but nothing of real note should be there.

If it is quite bad then I expect it was a customer return and not ex-display at all.

Craftsman
    How deep are the marks? If they weren't bad, and I planning on wearing it then for 50%, I'd be fine with them. It's most likely going to get a few more marks on it if you wear it anyway.

If they are deep, and annoy you, then walk away.

Grand Master
    Its not so much how deep the marks are, it depends on where they are. Any damage to case edges is v. difficult to put right.

These watches don’t lend themselves to easy refinishing either. Without seeing the watch I can’t add anything more.

OP’s been a member since 2010 and managed 23 posts.......that’s got to be some type of record!

What if the scratches were caused by dropping it onto a hard surface? I’d walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    What if the scratches were caused by dropping it onto a hard surface? I’d walk away.

What if it was run over by car?

You are clearly overthinking.

Just buy it...if not happy with the conditions you still have 14 days to return it assuming that is an online purchase

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonstoz View Post
    which bother me more
    Sounds like you’ve answered your own question here bud.

In love with the price.

The watch - not so much.

Step away.

Save more money.

Then buy what you really want.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    What if it was run over by car?

You are clearly overthinking.
    If it’s a new watch why is it so damaged? My point is you don’t know what else has happened to it - was it worn, dropped, did the Saturday boy drop it when emptying the window at the end of the day and hope nobody would notice?

Master
    A few swirlies now makes an attractive proposition as you can relax right away into your 50 percent discount without the fraughtness of making the first mark yourself. Open a bottle of your favourite tipple, light up a nice cigar, put your feet up and rejoice in your canny purchase.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Consider any potential discount you may have obtained buying the same watch (new) but in perfect condition, then it’s only the difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    If it’s a new watch why is it so damaged? My point is you don’t know what else has happened to it - was it worn, dropped, did the Saturday boy drop it when emptying the window at the end of the day and hope nobody would notice?

Possibly a shop watch, and then sold off as new with full warranty, but with all marks disclosed - it’s not unusual.
    It's just a matter of time...

I would say at 50% off that's a bargain and go for it unless the scratches ruin the watch for you.

Are you the type of person that likes a safe Queen or more somebody that thinks watches should be worn and not babied?

If the latter then at least that's the first scratches out the way, then get on with wearing and enjoying. If the former you'll probably never be happy with your purchase.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 19th February 2020 at 08:26.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Its not so much how deep the marks are, it depends on where they are. Any damage to case edges is v. difficult to put right.

These watches don’t lend themselves to easy refinishing either. Without seeing the watch I can’t add anything more.

OP’s been a member since 2010 and managed 23 posts.......that’s got to be some type of record!
    I thought I posted sparingly, but 2.3 posts PER YEAR!