closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Hols 2020

Master

Starting summer Holidays early..........

Craftsman
    Just booked Marbella in April and looking to do Croatia in September. Annual Christmas trip to Lanza to be booked imminently.

Master
    Just been to Kiev...Oz for 4 weeks in August and hope to do Scottish 500 in April and then Malaga for Christmas and New Year

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post

Starting summer Holidays early..........
    Maldives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So just few holidays after last years 50th bonanza!

So Fuerteventura at Easter for 1 week

A German lad’s pub crawl weekend in London in at End of April

A Brit’s lads weekend in bloody Benidorm in June!

Main holiday, 2 weeks in Florida, 1 week of hell for the kids, the second a long way away from the hell!

Then hopefully still to arrange a TZ’ers lads weekend in Switzerland on tour if any of us can sort it out!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    As winter is dragging on and we’re all bored of the storms and rain, it can be cathartic to post and discuss summer holiday we are looking forward to. It seems like this has become an annual thread on the G&D.

I’ll kick off with a week in Croatia for the first week of July, followed by a week in the southern Peloponnese for the last week in August.

Kids will be 19 and 16 this year, so making the most of going on holiday before they abandon us and go off on their own holidays.
    Yeah right dream on. If they are anything like mine they will still be tagging along for a free holiday well after that! The days of "I stopped going on holiday with my parents at 17/18" seem long gone

Master
    Yes, yesterday glorious sunshine, today torrential downpours- even with the weather such a beautiful place.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Maldives?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Yeah right dream on. If they are anything like mine they will still be tagging along for a free holiday well after that! The days of "I stopped going on holiday with my parents at 17/18" seem long gone
    😂 👍

Master
    I avoid taking holidays during the summer months. Never been a sun chaser. Going to be spending a week in Lithuania next month. Also thinking of a week spent between Gdansk and Warsaw in May. Also been thinking about a trip to Kyiv. There’ll be other trips too.

My holidays revolve around staying at my Son's place in Fla.

Going out for April/May and then usually again November/December as I like Thanksgiving, getting the tree etc.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rowbie View Post
    July (as soon as kids break up) Wife and I are taking kids, 8 and 10, to USA for 3 weeks road trip.

NYC, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, NYC.

Diner food, big SUV rental, wooden roller coasters, drive-in movies, mountains/lakes, beaches, skyskrapers etc etc

Very much looking forward to showing the kids the weird and wonderful USA.
    Have you been there before? We went to Rehoboth Beach after a week in Washington. That's 10 yrs ago. We'd rented a house near School Lane. It took ages to get there and we didn't use the car anymore during the week after we'd parked it on the driveway. School Lane is pretty close to all amenities, so we walked. In general, Delaware during the summer is: parking the SUV and get to the beach on a bike / on foot. The traffic jams are monstrous but easily avoidable with the use of bikes.

Apart from this detail, it will be a great trip with kids! Lots to see and experience.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Retired so can go anywhere, anytime etc.

Long distance flights are now a thing of the past. We went to India last year and the flights were just a PITA. Comfort take a priority when you get older.
    Have you considered flying Business or First Class? I've no experience of First but Business (Club World) on BA is sublime. It's so nice and comfy that I'm a little reluctant to get off the plane.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1, been there a few times and I’ll go again.

Hopefully without a sand storm in sight!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Have you considered flying Business or First Class? I've no experience of First but Business (Club World) on BA is sublime. It's so nice and comfy that I'm a little reluctant to get off the plane.
    Club world is honestly terrible! So much so people class BA first as their business offering (used to be the world's best business).

The new BA club world seats on
    select routes is a massive improvement compared to the current offering.

I'm surprised you think BA club world is sublime, the hard product isn't comfy compared to the market and until the recent switch to do&co food was poverty.

Disclaimer

I've flown both BA first & CW, when flying OW It would have to be Qatar or Qantas otherwise I stick to *A carriers

Got 5 days in Larnaca booked for the end of March, which can't come too soon, as I haven't skiied this year.

The wife and I are thinking of going to Mexico later in the year, but nothing is booked yet.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Club world is honestly terrible!

I'm surprised you think BA club world is sublime, the hard product isn't comfy compared to the market and until the recent switch to do&co food was poverty.

Disclaimer

I've flown both BA first & CW, when flying OW It would have to be Qatar or Qantas otherwise I stick to *A carriers

I'm surprised that you are surprised. Compared to Economy, Club World is sublime. My point was if comfort is stopping Mick P from going long haul, an upgrade to CW or 1st is a dramatic improvement over Economy in terms of comfort. I wasn't blown away by the food in CW but the overall experience was great.

I have no idea what you are on about in your disclaimer. It sounds like a coded message.

2 weeks in Dubai at the JA Beach. Golf, sea and eating.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Ho hum. It looks like nobody is going anywhere abroad for this summer.

Cottage rentals in the Uk will be massively in demand. Starting to check a few out in parts of Scotland I’ve been meaning to go and see for years

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Cottage rentals in the Uk will be massively in demand. Starting to check a few out in parts of Scotland I’ve been meaning to go and see for years

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    May have to dig the family tent out if we are allowed to travel in the U.K.

My teenagers will be pleased (not)

We’ve got a week in Whitby booked at end of August. We go every year with the kids and all absolutely love the place. We’ve got everything crossed restrictions will be more relaxed by then

We’ve got to make the decision to pay the balance on a cottage rental for the start of the summer hols or not. It was booked before the travel insurance cut off date of 18th March but it’s still a quandary.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Whenever we go anywhere in the U.K. we always say ‘why don’t we do this more’ as let’s face it we have some stunning places to visit. This summer we won’t have a choice but to stay here which is fine with us. If we can go and rent a cottage then great, if not then we’ll just stay local.

I’m even wondering now if late autumn/winter will be viable for people to go abroad. Not looking likely right now but who knows.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    We’ve got to make the decision to pay the balance on a cottage rental for the start of the summer hols or not. It was booked before the travel insurance cut off date of 18th March but it’s still a quandary.
    interested to see what you do, my balance is due end June to Sykes cottages and apparently they are not very helpful and their insurance is waste of time

We made the decision not to travel to Tuscany fairly early on and, to be fair, both hotel and apartment owners have been very very helpful. For this reason , we ve decided to postpone until next year. Just waiting on Jet2 , but not overly fussed or in any rush.
    I then started calling cottages in and around Skye , which is simply a stunning place. We were concerned with wether they would want us there at all but folk have been almost unanimous in wanting the custom back.
    I still think it’ll be too early to go on our original dates but will be looking for the end of August again soon.
    Also , just watched the Ricky Tomlinson/Ralf Little show on Gold where they are touring the North of England and it shows that you forget what’s on your doorstep until it’s pointed out to you .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    interested to see what you do, my balance is due end June to Sykes cottages and apparently they are not very helpful and their insurance is waste of time

Guys Check our “Sykes unhappy customers group” on Facebook.You May get some advice and help.

We're booked up for a hotel in Rye in August - hopefully it will be OK (crosses fingers).
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

Summer Hols 2020

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Guys Check our “Sykes unhappy customers group” on Facebook.You May get some advice and help.
    i’m familiar with the group but being honest i’m staying away as i’m too far away to do anything about it and it will just make my blood boil

Will venture over in early June, but I know Sykes are complete %#$%s

Blog Entries
    Yachting and inland-waters sailing is allowed here. Cottages have re-opened. We'll find something I'm sure. Switzerland is reopening it's borders in a few weeks. A trip to the Alps can be nice as well. We have a ton of airline vouchers on the shelf. Let's hope we can use them later this year or early next year.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 13th May 2020 at 18:03.

Master
    Was originally booked to be in Morocco in June and Mallorca in early July. Morocco one was cancelled by the operator before the balance was due and refunded, we cancelled the Majorca one just before the balance was due because the deposit was minimal and to avoid the hassle of paying and then having to get the whole cost back!

At the weekend, booked a house near Bude for the beginning of July for a week. Has a hot tub/games room and large garden and only have to pay for it at the end of June so can cancel anytime before then. Booked at that time because we anticipated demand for UK holidays would likely rise in the near future!

Logic was that if it is nice weather, can have a socially distanced week in the hot tub/garden and visit local beaches/whatever attractions are open at that time without having to be in close contact with everyone. Bad weather it will be a week of games, pool and table football etc as well as lots of food and drink either way purchased on the way there for the week! Seemed the best way to have a nice holiday independant of weather with the lowest risk. Added bonus of probably being quite a bit cheaper than Mallorca.

If travel within England is not permitted then it will be a walking holiday from my home to the bits of London usually so full of tourists you can't appreciate them properly!

Assuming the former goes ahead then no more holidays for me in 2020 unless there is a significant change in the outlook as no point wasting annual leave if you can't make good use of it IMO.

We had 4 days booked staying at a lighthouse in Norfolk booked direct with the owners(they have a hotel and 4 other properties) they had said we didn’t have to pay the balance until /if regulations changed looks unlikely so yesterday they agreed to hold a week they have in July for us as well until the end of May, if June definitely off then we get the July week and for the same price as 4 days and then fingers crossed again but they would still be ok us not paying balance till it’s confirmed
    we can go.

Depending upon how things pan out we've decided not to decide anything - second wave and all that. Good luck chaps.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I thought we stood a half decent chance of going to Greece in late August which is all booked, but the U.K. is not on preference list for 15th June entry, so that possibility is now dwindling. Same it seems for Cyprus and Malta.

Germany is on the preference list and rightly deserved give how well they managed the pandemic.

Blog Entries
    What is the preference list? We are due to go to menorca in August, subject to covid developments between now and then.

Summer Hols 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    What is the preference list? We are due to go to menorca in August, subject to covid developments between now and then.
    Don’t know about Menorca, but here is the information for Greece

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...AzOJyu8X7pQ9Mw

I might go to Whitby later in the year but I do not plan to go overseas until at least 2021 - normally I'd have a holiday in Autumn overseas but worried about get caught into second wave.

Master
    Travelling abroad in an aeroplane from the highly infected UK is showing a total lack of respect for the indigenous population of the country you are visiting.

The hospitality industry, restaurants an airlines are desperate for you to come over to Spain purely for your money but the locals don't want anyone coming in this year this year. You are a risk for which they may pay the penalty after you have returned to your native shores. You cannot make the situation any better but you may well make it a lot worse.

Do the decent thing and prop up your own tourist industry.

Master
    There’s a lot of tension going on where I live locally about people coming down here. A couple of FB groups for example - Appledore and Westward Ho! If you’d seen the pictures in the papers and news about Woolacombe the other day you’d be amazed at the traffic.

In short, the south west, particularly the coastal areas, has a huge revenue from tourism so people coming here are vital to the economy. However many locals are saying not now, which is understandable. People have been coming down in their droves in the last week or so for ‘the day’. There are a lot of retired people down here and understandably they are worried about infected people coming into the area (Torridge has the lowest case of infections in the country at the moment).

I guess this is all across the U.K. in tourist Hotspots and maybe across the world. Difficult to know what to do. We won’t be going anywhere, anytime soon as we wouldn’t feel comfortable, but who knows in 6 months time?

My sons year abroad in Bordeaux came to an abrupt end when we went into lockdown and he’s not been able to fly over there to pick up all his things. His landlady has been fine but she won’t want to store his things indefinitely. Worst still he brought his suitcases back for a holiday so she can’t even bag them up.

Craftsman
    We just cancelled our annual holiday to Costa Adeje. Was particularly looking forward to this one as we were trying a new hotel we’ve been keen to stay in. Thankfully, excellent service as always from Jet2 and we only lost £180 as opposed to 50% of the full balance.

Blog Entries
    Sailing is allowed here and as I wrote earlier this year, I'd planned some weeks of sailing in July. However, a operation on my right eye has put a stop on all plans. 3 months of rest. Basically not allowed to do anything until september.

M

Will be flying to Thailand the instant UK travellers are allowed back in without going through hoops. At the moment you need a negative Covid test max 48 hours before you fly and travel insurance that covers COVID19. Basically the Thai Government's way of saying 'don't bother'.

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    We just cancelled our annual holiday to Costa Adeje. Was particularly looking forward to this one as we were trying a new hotel we’ve been keen to stay in. Thankfully, excellent service as always from Jet2 and we only lost £180 as opposed to 50% of the full balance.
    I used to take the kids to the Anthelier in Costa Adeje every year. Then I married someone that worked there

It's pretty sad and a bit funny reading back on the first page of this thread. So many potentially unrealised plans..

We had a week booked in Japan and a cruise in September. However they're now respectively postponed and cancelled. At this rate our summer destination will be a picnic at the local park followed by drinks on the balcony.

Depending on how flat the curve is by late summer we may consider local staycations. If the rules allow, then Scottish highlands would be great.

Master
    I changed my life in January so that a holiday would be nice but is no longer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    If the rules allow, then Scottish highlands would be great.
    Hopefully the "wee beasties" will have starved to death; they have had no-one to feed on so far this year.

Still waiting for our refund on our cancelled Virgin flight.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I used to take the kids to the Anthelier in Costa Adeje every year. Then I married someone that worked there
    Amazing! My parents started going many years ago, staying at the Isabel Family Hotel across from the market. We have always stayed at the Costa Adeje Gran Hotel but this year we were going to stay at the new Victoria - all three are part of the GF Hoteles Group.

If it’s safe to travel next year then something to look forward to!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Still waiting for our refund on our cancelled Virgin flight.
    Yep same here, waiting for 3 flights to be refunded. 100 days is what they say.

Got a refund for nearly 9k last week for one holiday so bulk of what we were owed is repaid.

Master
    My Nevada holiday should have started a few days ago, so now that I'm looking at pulling out of law school, I've fingers crossed for a fishing holiday in colorado in September instead.