closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Hols 2020

Summer Hols 2020

As winter is dragging on and we’re all bored of the storms and rain, it can be cathartic to post and discuss summer holiday we are looking forward to. It seems like this has become an annual thread on the G&D.

I’ll kick off with a week in Croatia for the first week of July, followed by a week in the southern Peloponnese for the last week in August.

Kids will be 19 and 16 this year, so making the most of going on holiday before they abandon us and go off on their own holidays.

Off to Crete for two weeks the end of August with our 17 and 14 year olds. So like you enjoying the last few holidays with us all together.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just thinking about holidays a minute ago when the rain was lashing against the windows.

We've got two booked and been to both places before so we know what we're in for.

Princesca Yiaza in Playa Blanca, Lanzerote in May. Una St. Ives in Cornwall in August. Looking forward to both immensely.

I don’t have long to go to the first trip of the year to see the family in Zimbabwe thankfully,
    Greece in the summer and then back to Zim before Xmas is the plan so far.
    Might nip to Amsterdam for a boys weekend in April with a possible rugby tour to Italy in September.
    So far its looking to be a busy year.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 18th February 2020 at 18:11.

The ocean was a bit chilly this weekend !

Booked for Nice in August , Antigua on a boat in October and hopefully a little trip just me and MrsO when we ditch all 4 in school in September.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Princesca Yiaza in Playa Blanca, Lanzerote in May
    Went there the year before last, great place and we were well looked after. This was with pre-school children, tried to book last summer with school going children and baulked at the increased cost. Needless to say we didn't, regrettably, go back.

This year i'm off skiing for 4/5 days in Morzine in March, May half term will be with the family in Sandy Balls then Royal Son Bou Family Club in Menorca for 10 days in August again with the family. Have some days left for something else if the chance presents itself.
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 18th February 2020 at 18:41.

Master
    Off on a Caribbean cruise in just over two weeks with my wife to celebrate my 50th birthday. Can’t wait, will have my 21 yr old back from Bordeaux, my 19 year old back from Australia and my 3 year old all together again. Also my parents.

In June I’m off back to Vegas with a few mates for a week.

I did a big trip down under in November (Singapore, Aus and NZ) and with this awful weather we’ve had since I’ve been back I’m seriously considering it again possibly in December for the month. My daughter will be 4 and even though she’s starting school full time in September it would be easy to take her out for a couple of weeks. We’d probably go via HK and then have a month in Australia - this corona virus among other things need to be sorted before I’d consider it. Still lots to look forward to.

Nothing booked but with the weather and a long year ahead I think I need to book something soon just to have something to look forward to.

Will probably go to Bodrum later in the year as usual but might hopefully go to New York in the summer as well. Been once before and would love to go back but ideally not come home a stone heavier this time.

Blog Entries

Summer Hols 2020

Just booked 10 days in Gruissan for summer hols.

If anyone has been there & has pointers / recommendations I’d be interested to hear.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 18th February 2020 at 21:25.

Master
    We're in that transition phase with a teenager too, and it's dawned on me this week that all the camping gear we've accrued over the last decade for family camping holidays is now most likely redundant.

I was on the phone earlier to Easyjet trying to book a one-way ticket to Portugal for our 13yr daughter (just her - not us!) - that took some explaining with Easyjet! She's been invitied to join her school friend and her family in Portugal for a week this summer. We've leapt at the offer - not because we're glad to see the back of her, but because we've had the idea that rather than come home with them, we fly out to collect her and have another week's holiday all together :)

All of July in Kitzbuhel/st Johann.
    Porto and Seville for 4-5 days each then back to the mountains somewhere after the school hols in September.
    A Christmas market or 2 in December

May well go to Riga and parts adjacent this August for a break from the heat and our interminable Village Fiesta.
    Last edited by Passenger; 18th February 2020 at 20:25.

Craftsman
    In November Mrs Weedram booked us for week in July on a Baltic cruise. She is now having 2nd thoughts!

Seems as if there is some love for the "Princesca Yiaza in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote" I was looking at there for either summer or October school holidays. From your feedback I assume you would both recommend the place?

Quote Originally Posted by JuanKing View Post
    Seems as if there is some love for the "Princesca Yiaza in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote" I was looking at there for either summer or October school holidays. From your feedback I assume you would both recommend the place?
    Yes definitely recommend it. Probably the best beach in Lanzerote and the hotel is as close as it could be. Went two years ago and kids loved it. Loads of good places to eat in Playa Blanca and the hotel restaurants are all good too.

As anywhere good in the school holidays, it’s expensive but less than last years Disney trip so that’s a bonus.

I would add that the Canary Islands are ideal for October, in August you can find nicer resorts closer to home.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 18th February 2020 at 22:21.

Perfect, thanks Chris!

Master
    Retired so all outside school holidays.
    Amsterdam for a few days
    Alped’Heuz skiing
    Crete June
    Cuba, Atlanta, New York July
    Kos September

Just booked up a two week driving holiday in Croatia. Zagreb down to Dubrovnik...early September so a bit of a wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Farmhouse near Hereford for Easter (us + son and carers)

Centre Parcs at Longleat in June (as above)

Some version of "Northern Lights" at the end of the year (choose from Iceland or Norway/Finland or Cruise), just us two.

Another trip for us ... bored of doing northern European cities at the start or end of the year that has become a habit (have done all the popular ones) we are trying to think of something else instead ... somewhere warmer and interesting (Morocco ...?)

Going to Barcelona in March for a long weekend,mainly to catch up with me dad who’s over there and doing a bit of a road trip in Italy in august.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Barcelona in May for just under a week meeting up with some American friends we met in November on a Cruise.

A Week with the Grandkids at the Chalet in Snowdonia

Two weeks in Mexico for my Daughter’s Wedding in October

That’s it skint after the third one, cannot dip into next years holiday fund

I'm going on working holiday to houses around the country that I know will be empty because folks have posted their holiday plans on an open public forum.
    Incoming and state of the collection threads to follow.

Just kidding.

Master
    Me & Mrs off to Lefkas for 2 weeks in July.
    Not far east from lovely Cephalonia, my favourite Greek island.
    Quite unspoilt as far as I'm aware, so looking forward to exploring.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

My wife’s 50th this year so we have gone a bit bonkers.
    Long weekend in Perranporth in March.
    Dubrovnik in May
    Our favourite hotel in Side, Turkey in June and then back again in September.
    Finally a long weekend in Seville in October.

Can’t wait

Craftsman
    A week in Hanoi at the beginning of April as long as the F1 goes ahead. Looking OK at the moment.

Need to get something booked with the wife for later in the year for my 40th, probably somewhere in Europe.

Master
    My 1 holiday a year so I'll again be kipping on a friend's sofa in Reno for 3 weeks and hitting the desert with him and a literal truck load of guns, some gold panning at his claim on the Yuba river, and this year, some disc golf.

London in April for a few days.
    Dubai for a couple of weeks end of August.
    Amsterdam in September with the boys for a long weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    Dubai for a couple of weeks end of August.
    Mad dogs and Englishmen and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    My 1 holiday a year so I'll again be kipping on a friend's sofa in Reno for 3 weeks and hitting the desert with him and a literal truck load of guns, some gold panning at his claim on the Yuba river, and this year, some disc golf.
    Other than the golf that sounds like my kind of holiday
    Not sure she would agree though.
    Enjoy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Other than the golf that sounds like my kind of holiday
    Not sure she would agree though.
    Enjoy!
    I'm no lover of golf, but hiking through the forests throwing (fancy), Frisbees sounds like fun to me. Last year we picked up a 44 ruger blackhawk from cabelas. This year he's gone and picked up a vintage colt python and a No4 mk1 Lee Enfield. I'm looking forward to it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Me & Mrs off to Lefkas for 2 weeks in July.
    Not far east from lovely Cephalonia, my favourite Greek island.
    Quite unspoilt as far as I'm aware, so looking forward to exploring.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Lovely area. We had our honeymoon 30ish years ago in Nydri

Blog Entries
    My 7 weeks will be spend on tinkering with the cars and the house; one of the boys 'has left the building' so that opens up a lot of space - and a tin of worms discussing what to do with the space... New paint, new floor, new furniture and time to clear the cupboards under the eaves. We'll be selling our house in a few years time. With the boys on their own, the house will be simply too big for us.

Out of 7 weeks, 2 weeks are left for (a) sailing and (b) attending the world's biggest in-land sailing event in the second week.

This is a short clip from the 2016 event... I attended that as well - not very successful. My oldest -who was a participant as well- lost his sail during a summer storm (0:16 sec). Despite this set-back he managed to finish 2nd overall after 6 days of sailing - and party'ing.

Last edited by thieuster; 19th February 2020 at 22:51.

This summer I’ll stay at home and take some time off to enjoy the Isle of Man TT.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Have a far East cruise booked June (party of 6). One of the party pulled out yesterday as was concerned about the Coronavirus. Not sure they've been too hasty, guess time will tell

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Have a far East cruise booked June (party of 6). One of the party pulled out yesterday as was concerned about the Coronavirus. Not sure they've been too hasty, guess time will tell
    I'm guessing with that scenario it will either be sorted by then or the cruise company will have to cancel the cruise itself.

Master
    Spain, Ireland and France holidays all booked for this year which will be nice having not been away at all last year

Craftsman
    Booked a week in Cyprus in May.

First holiday with a toddler & a baby. Could be interesting....

Recently back from the Caribbean, heading to Dubai in a couple of weeks and Alaska/Canada in September.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I'm guessing with that scenario it will either be sorted by then or the cruise company will have to cancel the cruise itself.
    Not too concerned if cruise is cancelled, however we have paid for flights to Singapore and hotel for 2 nights and another hotel Hong Kong and flight home already so not sure how that would pan out if cruise was cancelled

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Not too concerned if cruise is cancelled, however we have paid for flights to Singapore and hotel for 2 nights and another hotel Hong Kong and flight home already so not sure how that would pan out if cruise was cancelled
    We had this last year - we were going to Aus/NZ via a few days in HK. With all the unrest over there we decided not to take our daughter. Our flights to HK were booked with air miles so we lost a small charge. Our flights from HK to Aus cost us 10% approximately as that was Cathay's cancellation policy. Our hotel was non refundable but they have agreed to carry over the booking until the end of this year - our big cost was rebooking flights via Singapore.

In short unless the Foreign Office advise you not to go the insurance companies won't pay out - it may be worth checking each part of the booking to see about cancellation charges. I suspect that if they can't get it under control soon then it may happen.

Master
    Retired so can go anywhere, anytime etc.

Will spend 5 months in the Spanish house and we have a couple of weeks booked doing a tour of the Holy Lands. Will also do the usual trick of a last minute booking for a few places which will be either a UK or European based city break.

Long distance flights are now a thing of the past. We went to India last year and the flights were just a PITA. Comfort take a priority when you get older.

The one thing I have gone past is ocean cruises.

Grand Master
    Nowhere!

Made no holiday plans owing to a house purchase deal that’s now looking like it won’t happen, a complicated situation in the ‘couldn’t make it up ‘ category that’s been rumbling on since last October

Probably manage a week in Spain at some point, if my knee recovers I fancy a few days walking in the UK somewhere during July/August.

Being retired is a permanant holiday......but its nice to have a change of scenery. Agree with Mick re long flights, I haven’t the patience thesedays and many of the long- haul destinations are third- world dumps, definitely not my scene.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 20th February 2020 at 14:27.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    We had this last year - we were going to Aus/NZ via a few days in HK. With all the unrest over there we decided not to take our daughter. Our flights to HK were booked with air miles so we lost a small charge. Our flights from HK to Aus cost us 10% approximately as that was Cathay's cancellation policy. Our hotel was non refundable but they have agreed to carry over the booking until the end of this year - our big cost was rebooking flights via Singapore.

In short unless the Foreign Office advise you not to go the insurance companies won't pay out - it may be worth checking each part of the booking to see about cancellation charges. I suspect that if they can't get it under control soon then it may happen.
    Thanks for advice and sharing your experiences 👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Nowhere!

Made no holiday plans owing to a house purchase deal that’s now looking like it won’t happen, a complicated situation in the ‘couldn’t make it up ‘ category that’s been rumbling on since last October

Probably manage a week in Spain at some point, if my knee recovers I fancy a few days walking in the UK somewhere during July/August.

Being retired is a permanant holiday......but its nice to have a change of scenery. Agree with Mick re long flights, I haven’t the patience thesedays and many of the long- haul destinations are third- world dumps, definitely not my scene.

You have you Grumpy head on today Paul. So sorry to here the house as been cancelled, bigger garage and all that.

Feel for you on the house stuff. Bottom of our chain was a compulsory purchase order via HS2 which went quiet when Theresa May was on the way out. Took 13 months from under offer to completed in the end. We're in the process of buying now as couldn't tie it in with a purchase and holidays are on hold.

I haven’t the patience thesedays and many of the long- haul destinations are third- world dumps, definitely not my scene.
    Careful, quite a few third world dumps within our own country, let alone our current union of countries. Also one man's first world is a other man's third world.

Craftsman
    Costa Adeje for a week in July here. We go here most years but trying a new hotel that we had a tour of last year so looking forward to a change of scene.

If we like it we plan to go again in October.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    Costa Adeje for a week in July here. We go here most years but trying a new hotel that we had a tour of last year so looking forward to a change of scene.

If we like it we plan to go again in October.
    +1, been there a few times and I’ll go again.

Grand Master
    [QUOTE=wileeeeeey;5330988
    Careful, quite a few third world dumps within our own country, let alone our current union of countries. Also one man's first world is a other man's third world.[/QUOTE]

Following serious health problems in 2014 my immune system is officially compromised. Unofficially I’m as fit as a fiddle and no different from what I ever was, but it’s always at the back of my mind. For that reason I’ll always avoid destinations where I don’t trust the healthcare, isn’t worth the risk.

Craftsman
    July (as soon as kids break up) Wife and I are taking kids, 8 and 10, to USA for 3 weeks road trip.

NYC, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, NYC.

Diner food, big SUV rental, wooden roller coasters, drive-in movies, mountains/lakes, beaches, skyskrapers etc etc

Very much looking forward to showing the kids the weird and wonderful USA.

That will be a fabulous road trip above!

We are taking the kids on a two week Baltic cruise, visiting lots of countries and spending two days in St Petersburg.

It should be fabulous and educational- the wife an I did it years ago before the kids came along.
    So clever my foot fell off.