closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 5g mobile network

Master
    Blog Entries

5g mobile network

Is anyone using it? Coverage doesn't look the best. Looking for a new phone for the mrs I have noticed that apple have yet to integrate it into the 11 variants. Big fan of iOS and would rather stick with it.
    Last edited by Middo; 17th February 2020 at 22:54.

It's going to be very limited for a few years yet and only in big cities. Just get a good 4G. Too much hype and it munches data quickly.

There are two sorts of 5G. Sub 600 is a bit faster than 4G with similar range. MM wave 5G has very short range but offers much, much faster speeds, on occasions over 1Gbit per second. Sub 600 is being rolled out much faster than mm wave.

When buying a phone it is worth checking what it supports. For example, the new Samsung S20 only support sub 600. The S20+ and S20 Ultra support both standards.

In all likelihood, it will be several years before mm wave has widespread coverage.

Christ getting 4g with any regulatory is hit and miss,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Wouldn't worry about 5G until 2021. My SIM only is 5G but my handset isn't. I'm in the process of buying a new phone now for the next 18 months or so and it will be 4G, I will think about 5G then, not before, and I'm in London.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers all, seems a bit pointless as there is two variants of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Cheers all, seems a bit pointless as there is two variants of it.
    From the providers point of view, this is no doubt planned and ideal. Get the early adopters to pay through the bugle for the lesser variety then when they roll out the larger option, we'll all jump ship and provide them with a much increased and further coffers injection.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Is anyone using it? Coverage doesn't look the best. Looking for a new phone for the mrs I have noticed that apple have yet to integrate it into the 11 variants. Big fan of iOS and would rather stick with it.
    Apple don't care about 5g, the 11 was never going to have it. Apple knows that they can lure people into another cycle or two before launching a 5g iphone.

Don't bother with getting a 5g contract unless it's the same to cheaper than your current one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk