closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New (old) iMac...suggestions please?

Master

New (old) iMac...suggestions please?

My 2007 iMac has finally died and is beyond repair at a reasonable price plus is 32-bit so no real point. My local computer shop buys old stock off Apple and refurbishes them. Would anyone be able to recommend a decent spec to look for that will have a chance of a few years of longevity in terms of supporting new OSs etc? It's not used for anything beyond music, internet and YouTube videos really, but a decent amount of grunt would be welcome.

Much appreciated if so

Master
    Apple stuff is pretty well optimised so you don’t need really powerful kit, especially if you are just doing basic things.

Having said that, if I wanted longevity I would buy the newest iMac I could afford with:

- at least a quad core cpu
    - at least 8gb Ram, ideally 16gb, or make sure you get a model with the door at the back that allows you to upgrade easily
    - An SSD for storage, don’t buy a fusion drive or HDD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Apple stuff is pretty well optimised so you don’t need really powerful kit, especially if you are just doing basic things.

Having said that, if I wanted longevity I would buy the newest iMac I could afford with:

- at least a quad core cpu
    - at least 8gb Ram, ideally 16gb, or make sure you get a model with the door at the back that allows you to upgrade easily
    - An SSD for storage, don’t buy a fusion drive or HDD

Why not Fusion Drive?

I have had an iMac with a 1.02 TB Fusion Drive, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 since buying it new in 2015 and haven't had a single problem. Is there some kind of problem with them?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    There are some reliability/longevity issues. The main reason I wouldn’t buy one on a new iMac though is just the long term speed. The thing that makes a computer feel snappy (for most uses) is the speed of a hard drive. The 1TB fusion drive only has 32GB of high speed storage, depending on your use, after a while you may start using the slow part of the drive for start ups and what not.

Also, just the principle that a spinning hard drive doesn’t have any business being in something as expensive as an iMac. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why not Fusion Drive?

I have had an iMac with a 1.02 TB Fusion Drive, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 since buying it new in 2015 and haven't had a single problem. Is there some kind of problem with them?

Master
    Why not Fusion Drive?

Probably because a SSD is quicker. I have a fusion drive in a 2012 mac mini and it’s pretty good

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    There are some reliability/longevity issues. The main reason I wouldn’t buy one on a new iMac though is just the long term speed. The thing that makes a computer feel snappy (for most uses) is the speed of a hard drive. The 1TB fusion drive only has 32GB of high speed storage, depending on your use, after a while you may start using the slow part of the drive for start ups and what not.

Also, just the principle that a spinning hard drive doesn’t have any business being in something as expensive as an iMac. Just my opinion.

Fair enough but I haven't noticed any slow down in speeds on mine. Startup is lightning fast, especially when compared to PC's running Microsoft Slownows, and the screen is amazing even now. When you look at a normal monitor after one of these they look seriously out of focus!!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Fair enough but I haven't noticed any slow down in speeds on mine. Startup is lightning fast, especially when compared to PC's running Microsoft Slownows, and the screen is amazing even now. When you look at a normal monitor after one of these they look seriously out of focus!!
    No doubt the fusion drives are absolutely fine for most people, and actually if you needed loads of storage might be preferable to an ssd as they are cheaper. I just wouldn’t put one in a computer I was buying today. iMac screens are the main reason they actually are a decent value proposition to be honest. They are amazing.

Master
    Thanks for the input all