closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: New (old) iMac...suggestions please?

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    754

    New (old) iMac...suggestions please?

    My 2007 iMac has finally died and is beyond repair at a reasonable price plus is 32-bit so no real point. My local computer shop buys old stock off Apple and refurbishes them. Would anyone be able to recommend a decent spec to look for that will have a chance of a few years of longevity in terms of supporting new OSs etc? It's not used for anything beyond music, internet and YouTube videos really, but a decent amount of grunt would be welcome.

    Much appreciated if so

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    900
    Apple stuff is pretty well optimised so you don’t need really powerful kit, especially if you are just doing basic things.

    Having said that, if I wanted longevity I would buy the newest iMac I could afford with:

    - at least a quad core cpu
    - at least 8gb Ram, ideally 16gb, or make sure you get a model with the door at the back that allows you to upgrade easily
    - An SSD for storage, don’t buy a fusion drive or HDD


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    17,111
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Apple stuff is pretty well optimised so you don’t need really powerful kit, especially if you are just doing basic things.

    Having said that, if I wanted longevity I would buy the newest iMac I could afford with:

    - at least a quad core cpu
    - at least 8gb Ram, ideally 16gb, or make sure you get a model with the door at the back that allows you to upgrade easily
    - An SSD for storage, don’t buy a fusion drive or HDD


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why not Fusion Drive?

    I have had an iMac with a 1.02 TB Fusion Drive, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 since buying it new in 2015 and haven't had a single problem. Is there some kind of problem with them?
    “The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.”

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    900
    There are some reliability/longevity issues. The main reason I wouldn’t buy one on a new iMac though is just the long term speed. The thing that makes a computer feel snappy (for most uses) is the speed of a hard drive. The 1TB fusion drive only has 32GB of high speed storage, depending on your use, after a while you may start using the slow part of the drive for start ups and what not.

    Also, just the principle that a spinning hard drive doesn’t have any business being in something as expensive as an iMac. Just my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why not Fusion Drive?

    I have had an iMac with a 1.02 TB Fusion Drive, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 since buying it new in 2015 and haven't had a single problem. Is there some kind of problem with them?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    In the south
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why not Fusion Drive?

    I have had an iMac with a 1.02 TB Fusion Drive, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 since buying it new in 2015 and haven't had a single problem. Is there some kind of problem with them?
    Probably because a SSD is quicker. I have a fusion drive in a 2012 mac mini and it’s pretty good

  6. #6
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    17,111
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    There are some reliability/longevity issues. The main reason I wouldn’t buy one on a new iMac though is just the long term speed. The thing that makes a computer feel snappy (for most uses) is the speed of a hard drive. The 1TB fusion drive only has 32GB of high speed storage, depending on your use, after a while you may start using the slow part of the drive for start ups and what not.

    Also, just the principle that a spinning hard drive doesn’t have any business being in something as expensive as an iMac. Just my opinion.






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Fair enough but I haven't noticed any slow down in speeds on mine. Startup is lightning fast, especially when compared to PC's running Microsoft Slownows, and the screen is amazing even now. When you look at a normal monitor after one of these they look seriously out of focus!!
    “The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.”

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Fair enough but I haven't noticed any slow down in speeds on mine. Startup is lightning fast, especially when compared to PC's running Microsoft Slownows, and the screen is amazing even now. When you look at a normal monitor after one of these they look seriously out of focus!!
    No doubt the fusion drives are absolutely fine for most people, and actually if you needed loads of storage might be preferable to an ssd as they are cheaper. I just wouldn’t put one in a computer I was buying today. iMac screens are the main reason they actually are a decent value proposition to be honest. They are amazing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    754
    Thanks for the input all

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information