closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex sports model supply ; what’s their agenda?

Journeyman

Rolex sports model supply ; what’s their agenda?

At the risk of numerous “oh no, not this again” posts.....

I’m struggling to see Rolex’s point in blatantly restricting supply of their Professional models. I’m currently on holiday in Sydney and am in the market for a new watch and quite fancy a non date sub. Heathrow and Singapore airports: nothing. No problem, Google tells me there are 5 ADs/official suppliers in Sydney.... again, nothing. Not a single sports model at any of them.

Got chatting to a nice chap in one of the shops and he freely admitted it was embarrassing for them with row upon row of empty cases and having to turn away potential customers every day. He suggested airports are the only place where you can get a sports model at the moment because they don’t run waiting lists and have to display watches upon receipt from Rolex.

Now, I’m not an idiot (well, not completely) and I understand supply and demand and artificially keeping prices inflated. But, apart from servicing revenue and being able to price new stock in line with the inflated used market, what do Rolex hope to gain? I’m assuming they could increase production any time they wanted?

Am I being a bit dim? Is it really just to keep the brand elusive? I’ll admit, I’m a few beers in, sitting on a friends boat moored in Sugarloaf bay.... I am somewhat “chilled” so could easily be missing the point completely!

I’m now busy looking at other brands (an Omega co axial Master Chrono is currently favourite) because I’m not sure I want to be part of their game. Rolex won’t care, neither will anyone reading this, but I can’t be the only one who will be putting their money elsewhere.

Apologies if I’ve bored anyone, but I really would like to understand their business model.

Oh no, not this again.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I’m totally with you,ridiculous really,I’ve got a Rolex but I’m not prepared to play there games,so has you say I’ll put my money somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    it's a self induced frustration

there are always LNIB Rolex Sports watches for sale in the aftermarket - just assume that the asking price is the Rolex retail and compare this with what you can get for the same money from another brand.

i.e. £10k for a LNIB Rolex Sports versus £10k from another brand...........

Blog Entries
    Rolex don’t need to increase production of sports models, they sell as many as they can make. Of the ADs you’ve visited no doubt some had sports models in their safes, waiting to be used as treats for their ‘higher spending customers’.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Rolex don’t need to increase production of sports models, they sell as many as they can make. Of the ADs you’ve visited no doubt some had sports models in their safes, waiting to be used as treats for their ‘higher spending customers’.
    Exactly this.
    Purchase a Datejust and some jewellery for your other half and suddenly as if by magic an SS
    Rolex sports becomes available.

Craftsman
    I think it would be completely silly of Rolex to increase production of s/s sports models. It would surely make no business sense whatsoever? Why dilute their overall margin mix, and waste precious capacity, by increasing the proportion of non-precious models when they can sell all of their capacity at the current mix?

Craftsman
    Rolex are a non profit company. They don't need to sell more to make more money and they dont have any dividends to pay to shareholders etc.

Now, of course they make money (i'm sure someone is getting very rich), but technically all they need to cover is R&D and employee wages to keep the company going. Then a percentage is donated to charity.

Allegedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    I think it would be completely silly of Rolex to increase production of s/s sports models. It would surely make no business sense whatsoever? Why dilute their overall margin mix, and waste precious capacity, by increasing the proportion of non-precious models when they can sell all of their capacity at the current mix?
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Rolex are a non profit company. They don't need to sell more to make more money and they dont have any dividends to pay to shareholders etc.

Now, of course they make money (i'm sure someone is getting very rich), but technically all they need to cover is R&D and employee wages to keep the company going. Then a percentage is donated to charity.

Allegedly.
    Nonsense.

Rolex S.A. are a for-profit company, which is owned by a charitable foundation. The dividends flow from the S.A. to the foundation and from there to charity.

Simply put demand is super high. Rolex have obviously modelled and optimised what they can sell without diluting brand value. And the situation is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    That assumes they are selling steel watches below market price with the only intention to subsidise the production of precious metal watches? It would make a lot more sense then to simplify the whole organisation by discontinuing precious metal altogether, use that capacity for steel watches and sell those at market price.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Exactly this.
    Purchase a Datejust and some jewellery for your other half and suddenly as if by magic an SS
    Rolex sports becomes available.
    I have no doubt you're correct. I simply don't want one bad enough to play those games though. As others have alluded to, there are so many other brands out there and I'm sure there's actually better value to be had too if I look around.
    I am genuinely curious as to Rolex's strategy though.

If you were offered a Daytona at the airport all stickered up with papers then I’m sure you would have purchased it, but would you have kept it or took the massive profit?
    Most would take the profit and therein lies your problem.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    That assumes they are selling steel watches below market price with the only intention to subsidise the production of precious metal watches? It would make a lot more sense then to simplify the whole organisation by discontinuing precious metal altogether, use that capacity for steel watches and sell those at market price.
    I’ve an inkling that if they devoted all of their capacity to steel watches that the market price for them might change a tad. Just a hunch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey-r View Post
    I have no doubt you're correct. I simply don't want one bad enough to play those games though. As others have alluded to, there are so many other brands out there and I'm sure there's actually better value to be had too if I look around.
    I am genuinely curious as to Rolex's strategy though.
    There's a LNIB Batman on here for £10,750..........you can spend that on a new Omega .........which would you have?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post

Allegedly.
    That's not how it works at all. Rolex's charter commits them to supporting a wide range of causes in the canton of Geneve as well as massive commitment to the horological arts in general and a variety of educational institutions in Geneva. There is also a tradition of giving stuff to people, but that's not in the charter. Rolex don't give to charity, they are, for all practical purposes, the charity. The first duty is the health of Rolex, then a small stipend for any surviving relatives of Wilsdorf and his wife (who are in good repute) the rest is given away to the causes specified in the charter. No one is getting very rich, the holding company is mostly controlled by the great and the good of Geneva as a public service, a well paid service I'm sure, but the Swiss are a bit odd like that.

As for the rest, Thorsten Veblein nailed it a century ago and Fred Hirsch refined it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positional_good

You didn't think it was an accident?

To look at this from another view are you sure they need to increase supply or perhaps maybe they could do with doubling prices or maybe we could do with a recession? Any of the three would achieve what you're asking for.

You can always choose not to participate in a zero sum game...indeed probably wise to be circumspect about any game you can never truly 'win' and select your own/other status/success measures, just an idea, they are only watches at the end of the day after all.
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th February 2020 at 10:10.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    If you were offered a Daytona at the airport all stickered up with papers then I’m sure you would have purchased it, but would you have kept it or took the massive profit?
    Most would take the profit and therein lies your problem.
    Personally I’d be keeping it, but it’s a very valid point.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    There's a LNIB Batman on here for £10,750..........you can spend that on a new Omega .........which would you have?
    That’s the million dollar question. In my naivety I thought I’d be able to pick up the sub fairly easily on my holiday so didn’t give it a great deal of thought. Now I’m broadening my horizons it’s almost too much choice. Even since writing the original post, I’ve moved from one model to another.... the black Speedmaster Moon watch (dark side of the moon) looks amazing.

As you can probably tell, for one reason or another, watches haven’t been on my mind for some time (read years) and now it’s sensory overload!

Master
    They want to make money. Some analysts have identified the current strategy as one that will allow them to maximize the cash they make for their given manufacturing capability.
    Probably due to the fact that 1x Daytona actually costs 1x OP, 1x DJ, 1x Pearlmaster for the wife, a long wait for a batman and then you're on the list for what you originally wanted (this doesn't count the AD's skim of jewelry you didn't actually want that you have to buy as well).
    So instead of selling 1 watch they've sold you 4, 3 of which you don't actually want and if you flip any of them then you go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect your Daytona.

Also because the 2nd hand value is so high the annual 5-10% price inflation doesn't sting quite so much.

I have to admire Rolex's strategy and marketing.

Master
    That’s the million dollar question. In my naivety I thought I’d be able to pick up the sub fairly easily on my holiday so didn’t give it a great deal of thought. Now I’m broadening my horizons it’s almost too much choice. Even since writing the original post, I’ve moved from one model to another.... the black Speedmaster Moon watch (dark side of the moon) looks amazing.

As you can probably tell, for one reason or another, watches haven’t been on my mind for some time (read years) and now it’s sensory overload!
    As a keeper - Rolex make beautiful watches ....... and their SS Sports models are superb

Investment - buy most other brands at the "market" price point of a LNIB Rolex SS and you will loose at least 25% when you walk out of the AD - (unless you can persuade them to give you a discount) - buy a LNIB Rolex at the "market price" and it will probably keep it's value.

If you really want a "new" Rolex you have little option but to pay the market price..........I don't think that you will be disappointed ..........buying another brand and it will never really scratch the Rolex itch.

have you considered vintage - there are quite a few really nice Rolex "Pepsi's" for sale and I believe that you can still buy "original" inserts for reasonable money if you fancy a change of mood..............don't buy LNIB buy used and psychologically the pain between RRP and market price will be easier to bear

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    They want to make money. Some analysts have identified the current strategy as one that will allow them to maximize the cash they make for their given manufacturing capability.
    Probably due to the fact that 1x Daytona actually costs 1x OP, 1x DJ, 1x Pearlmaster for the wife, a long wait for a batman and then you're on the list for what you originally wanted (this doesn't count the AD's skim of jewelry you didn't actually want that you have to buy as well).
    So instead of selling 1 watch they've sold you 4, 3 of which you don't actually want and if you flip any of them then you go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect your Daytona.

Also because the 2nd hand value is so high the annual 5-10% price inflation doesn't sting quite so much.

I have to admire Rolex's strategy and marketing.
    Three years ago the local chancer walked into an AD, thumped the desk demanding a 20% discount which he always got because the world was awash with Rolex. Also the ADs prices were undercut by the greys and that is no way to sell a brand image.

Today the situation has been successfully turned around by Rolex. You are going to pay full retail and that is only after a lengthy wait if your face fits. You can buy one today if you wish from a grey but at a much increased price. There will always be a few who will opt to stay away from Rolex but they are just a loss leader in the overall scheme of things and if truth be told, no one really cares about them.

Yes we all have to admit that Rolex are Past Masters at marketing and this latest strategy is full proof of that.

There is no agenda. Demand is massively outstripping their ability to supply fuelled by perceived exclusivity and the bonus of knowing your money is historically safe.

The harder the piece is to get, the greater the demand, the harder the piece is to get etc etc etc.

Master
    Stainless steel and not just sport rolex are considered “reward pieces” for existing customers. This has been the Rolex policy for the last 3-4 years at least and is very common within high end brands e.g. see the ladies Hermes “Birkin” bag.

The alternative is Rolex floods the market with sport watches and devalues the long term value of the overall brand, but it’s not chasing short term profit given it’s Trust ownership unlike Swatch and Richemont which are ultimately owned by shareholders and have quarterly targets to hit.

Patek (family owned) has exactly the same strategy with stainless steel watches, see Stern interview with Hodinkee 2 years ago.

Just wait until all the safe queens let the watches out of the dark and realise they are mass produced stainless steel watches that won't make them rich.

They'll be thousands of over sized Rolex for sale everywhere

Master
    The whole point of a ‘luxury’ brand is exclusivity. Rolex has to face the conflict between high production and staying desirable. The brand is now far from exclusive....it’s like the watch version of , say, Nike. You can’t make a million watches every year and avoid that. Lots and lots of keen buyers still, but not the same buyers, a different , aspirational, demographic... The genuinely affluent no longer automatically want a Rolex. Too many other people have them.

Room though, for other brands to move up....if they’re savvy enough. Omega, with that new Ed White, know how the game will be played. No Rolex has that built-in , hand made, exclusivity. Clever. And we’l see more of that sort of thing.
    It will be fun to watch from the sidelines...
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th February 2020 at 11:17.

Oh god not again.
    The op has been a member since 2010.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    As alluded to above, it is a fashion accessory. The ultra rich will pay whatever it costs to be seen in one and that drives the prices up.

In time it will become less fashionable and prices will recede, to some extent that has started already.

However if you want one, how long do you leave it, every year retail price rises more than inflation anyway.

If you want some Rolex silly debate try TRF with such legendary threads as "My Rolex and my Budgie" "Proud of my first scratch" and "Is it safe to picnic with my Rolex"

This will tell you everything about the current state of all things (modern) Rolex

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    As a keeper - Rolex make beautiful watches ....... and their SS Sports models are superb

Investment - buy most other brands at the "market" price point of a LNIB Rolex SS and you will loose at least 25% when you walk out of the AD - (unless you can persuade them to give you a discount) - buy a LNIB Rolex at the "market price" and it will probably keep it's value.

If you really want a "new" Rolex you have little option but to pay the market price..........I don't think that you will be disappointed ..........buying another brand and it will never really scratch the Rolex itch.

have you considered vintage - there are quite a few really nice Rolex "Pepsi's" for sale and I believe that you can still buy "original" inserts for reasonable money if you fancy a change of mood..............don't buy LNIB buy used and psychologically the pain between RRP and market price will be easier to bear
    I have owned Rolex’s previously. Bought my first Datejust in ‘96, then a sub date and, most recently, a GMT II about 5 or 6 years ago (all long since sold). I really haven’t given watches a lot of thought since then until a few weeks ago hence I’m pretty out of date with current trends.

Master
    Well they are not producing no where near enough, hence this thread...

Discontinued models supply is diminishing every day...Broken, over polished.

The dress code in the office and more generally is getting more casual, not just a short term trend, look back to days of the pocket watch.

The global middle class is growing every day, I wonder where the money will go.

And finally car guys many of whom also are watch guys, will soon be buying electric and hybrid cars...time to move their hobby to another area

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Oh god not again.
    The op has been a member since 2010.
    Thanks for your input. X

Build up a relationship, show you can be trusted, spend lots of money. Simple.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Im sure they are pumping them out just as much as previous years (check out grey dealer stock!)

Factor in the crazy impact of social media in recent times and that ADs are using the popular models as leverage to sell the duds

Master
    What "shortage" or "restriction" on supply? Just look online privately, the greys, Japan etc. There are hundreds and hundreds knocking about BUT, they are double the price, at least. Yes, occasionally some customers get lucky but for the most, it's as stated by many others, play the game or go elsewhere, sadly. I love them but refuse to play the game, and that's ok

Rolex sports model supply ; what’s their agenda?
    The agenda is to keep the riff-raff away from their new watches. Always follow the money.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    That's not how it works at all. Rolex's charter commits them to supporting a wide range of causes in the canton of Geneve as well as massive commitment to the horological arts in general and a variety of educational institutions in Geneva. There is also a tradition of giving stuff to people, but that's not in the charter. Rolex don't give to charity, they are, for all practical purposes, the charity. The first duty is the health of Rolex, then a small stipend for any surviving relatives of Wilsdorf and his wife (who are in good repute) the rest is given away to the causes specified in the charter. No one is getting very rich, the holding company is mostly controlled by the great and the good of Geneva as a public service, a well paid service I'm sure, but the Swiss are a bit odd like that.

As for the rest, Thorsten Veblein nailed it a century ago and Fred Hirsch refined it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positional_good

You didn't think it was an accident?
    Looks like my sarcasm didn't get through ;)

At the risk of numerous “oh no, not this again” posts.....

I’m struggling to see Rolex’s point in blatantly restricting supply of their Professional models. I’m currently on holiday in Sydney and am in the market for a new watch and quite fancy a non date sub. Heathrow and Singapore airports: nothing. No problem, Google tells me there are 5 ADs/official suppliers in Sydney.... again, nothing. Not a single sports model at any of them.

Got chatting to a nice chap in one of the shops and he freely admitted it was embarrassing for them with row upon row of empty cases and having to turn away potential customers every day. He suggested airports are the only place where you can get a sports model at the moment because they don’t run waiting lists and have to display watches upon receipt from Rolex.

Now, I’m not an idiot (well, not completely) and I understand supply and demand and artificially keeping prices inflated. But, apart from servicing revenue and being able to price new stock in line with the inflated used market, what do Rolex hope to gain? I’m assuming they could increase production any time they wanted?

Am I being a bit dim? Is it really just to keep the brand elusive? I’ll admit, I’m a few beers in, sitting on a friends boat moored in Sugarloaf bay.... I am somewhat “chilled” so could easily be missing the point completely!

I’m now busy looking at other brands (an Omega co axial Master Chrono is currently favourite) because I’m not sure I want to be part of their game. Rolex won’t care, neither will anyone reading this, but I can’t be the only one who will be putting their money elsewhere.

Apologies if I’ve bored anyone, but I really would like to understand their business model.
    Rolex haven't restricted supply - the watches are going to China. Fortunately for me, I find the supercase is a deal-breaker.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    For the thousandth time Rolex DO NOT have a deliberate strategy to limit supply. They can only produce x number of watches in a year. They are not interested in increasing capacity or expanding the company and do not have shareholders to satisfy. So basically they cannot keep up with the massive increase in demand. It's just mathematics!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    What do you mean?! Lol

This Rolex deprivation from Rolex is simply disgusting, poor upstanding WIS out there can’t buy a Rolex he wants, whilst these new generation instagrammers keep flashing it in our faces...

We need a channel 4 undercover doc to reveal the #TRUTH!

... quite fancy a non date sub. ...
    P'raps you should ask yourself why you want a Rolex? Rolex's only real USP is universal brand recognition: you want everyone, everywhere to know you've got loadsamoney - that's fine, grease-up, touch your toes, and waddle-off to the AD! Every other characteristic that can be applied to a watch - engineering, finish, exclusivity, functionality, style, heritage, customer service, etc - someone, somewhere is doing at least one of those things better.

Oh, and marketing, they are pure genius at that too

Master
    Perhaps it’s worth remembering that Rolex are an incredibly conservative company, who historically have made changes in a very gradual manner. They already own the goose that lays the golden eggs. Part of that is in the iconic models, part of it is in the brand recognition, and a very significant part is in the perception that the watches retain value. They’re well aware of this so they don’t, to mix metaphors, tend to start yanking the levers. If they increase production to meet demand for a watch that’s become a passing fad, that might mean building a new factory, taking on staff, investing in more equipment. They don’t want to do that and then get caught with their pants down when Apple invent a new holographic whatsit, or Covid-19 destroys the Hong Kong watch market. Perhaps they have some capacity to ramp up and down, but they will never risk spending their own money on creating an oversupply, which then damages their reputation for value retention.

It may also be the case that the current situation is doing an excellent job of clearing their dealer inventory of less popular models, bi-metal and precious metal. The current situation looks a bit crazy, but I would only expect them to make very gentle changes while keeping a careful eye on the consequences. High secondary market prices might look good in the short term, but volatility and talk of bubbles popping isn’t good advertising in the long term. Their strategy is, as far as I can see, to look like a safe, solid, dependable place to park some cash, secure in the knowledge that you didn’t really spend it, you are just wearing it for the time being. Counterintuitively, their USP to a large extent is value for money, and the man maths that tells you you’ve just bought a free watch. Don’t expect them to do anything to jeopardise that in the short or long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Perhaps it’s worth remembering that Rolex are an incredibly conservative company, who historically have made changes in a very gradual manner. They already own the goose that lays the golden eggs. Part of that is in the iconic models, part of it is in the brand recognition, and a very significant part is in the perception that the watches retain value. They’re well aware of this so they don’t, to mix metaphors, tend to start yanking the levers. If they increase production to meet demand for a watch that’s become a passing fad, that might mean building a new factory, taking on staff, investing in more equipment. They don’t want to do that and then get caught with their pants down when Apple invent a new holographic whatsit, or Covid-19 destroys the Hong Kong watch market. Perhaps they have some capacity to ramp up and down, but they will never risk spending their own money on creating an oversupply, which then damages their reputation for value retention.

It may also be the case that the current situation is doing an excellent job of clearing their dealer inventory of less popular models, bi-metal and precious metal. The current situation looks a bit crazy, but I would only expect them to make very gentle changes while keeping a careful eye on the consequences. High secondary market prices might look good in the short term, but volatility and talk of bubbles popping isn’t good advertising in the long term. Their strategy is, as far as I can see, to look like a safe, solid, dependable place to park some cash, secure in the knowledge that you didn’t really spend it, you are just wearing it for the time being. Counterintuitively, their USP to a large extent is value for money, and the man maths that tells you you’ve just bought a free watch. Don’t expect them to do anything to jeopardise that in the short or long term.
    You make a good point re the parking of money I believe, zero or near zero interest rates at the banks for what about-over a decade now, I agree has been an influence.
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th February 2020 at 15:41.

Go spend a few days on the Rolex Forum, that should sort the OP out for good when he sees the kind of people who wave their willies around over these watches.

There are other brands...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Rolex don’t need to increase production of sports models, they sell as many as they can make.
    Do you have some insider information that no one else knows about?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Go spend a few days on the Rolex Forum, that should sort the OP out for good when he sees the kind of people who wave their willies around over these watches.

There are other brands...
    Can you name them ?

If you want to buy a genuinely good watch that will probably increase in value, you really have to look at PP or Rolex.

I won a 14 ct JLC in a poker game in the early 1990's, I had to stake £500 against it. I spent £1200 a few years ago on a service, so total expenditure £1700. Would I get that back if I sold it today ? Very unlikely.

I also bought a brand new SS Omega Constellation in 1986 from a wholesaler (I had a good contact in those days) and I paid £300 for it, the RRP was, I think, around £900. I would get peanuts for it now.

I could easily sell all my Rolex and show a profit on all of them.

The most sensible advice you can give a WIS is to buy only Rolex or PP and never even think of selling, because if you do, you will usually regret it.

It would be good if Rolex increased RRP o SS watches but in return used some of that extra revenue to make the watches better. Would be nice if they were on par with Blancpain, Grand Seiko etc which are brands they are now priced against. Of course it isn't quality that counts as most people buy the brand but it would be lovely if the price was also justified in the quality of the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Can you name them ?

If you want to buy a genuinely good watch that will probably increase in value, you really have to look at PP or Rolex.

I won a 14 ct JLC in a poker game in the early 1990's, I had to stake £500 against it. I spent £1200 a few years ago on a service, so total expenditure £1700. Would I get that back if I sold it today ? Very unlikely.

I also bought a brand new SS Omega Constellation in 1986 from a wholesaler (I had a good contact in those days) and I paid £300 for it, the RRP was, I think, around £900. I would get peanuts for it now.

The most sensible advice you can give a WIS is to buy only Rolex or PP and never even think of selling, because if you do, you will usually regret it.
    Nope you would never advise a WIS that as a WIS is interested in horological variation not value retention. I'd say anyone with a collection comprising solely of Rolex is A not a WIS and B missing out on a huge variety of amazing watches, many of which are superior by far to Rolex. It's like saying if you are a petrol head just buy Porsches. Well you could but that would be equally as sad as the person only buying Rolexes because of 'retained value'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Can you name them ?

Funny how everytime you mention your Rolex it is in financial terms and never a suggestion of love of the brand or the actual watches. You just see them as appreciating assets and that is rather sad.