closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex sports model supply ; what’s their agenda?

Master
    Rolex fell into this accidentally in 1998 when they didn't have enough modified Zenith 4030 movements to fit into the Daytona, to that point a reasonably unloved watched, albeit as a manual. Buyers rushed to get it, because they couldn't.

It has been the case since then with the Daytonas and they have extended the trick through the rest of the SS range, which has now even spread the professional bi-metal and PM models. The watches are scarce, but if you have a reasonable relationship with an AD and/or travel through a lot of airports they are obtainable.

There is no doubt this is deliberate, Rolex can pump out circa 800k to 1m watches a year, it chooses to manufacture more of the bread and butter DJ's and keep the pro range exclusive.

I've now got to a point where I have all the models I want, until the next Basel release drops
    Last edited by Chalet; 17th February 2020 at 18:53.

Apprentice

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Can you name them ?
    Yes. Swatch and the cheapest rectangular G-shocks on the market. Buy any, store in cupboard, sell in 10~15 years time when the "disposable" watches have died in their hundreds of thousands and are then "retro".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    If you were offered a Daytona at the airport all stickered up with papers then I’m sure you would have purchased it, but would you have kept it or took the massive profit?
    Most would take the profit and therein lies your problem.
    Bingo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won a 14 ct JLC in a poker game in the early 1990's, I had to stake £500 against it. I spent £1200 a few years ago on a service, so total expenditure £1700. Would I get that back if I sold it today ? Very unlikely.
    Bad maths. If you won the hand, your 500 stake is won back as well, so total expenditure is only 1200.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Build up a relationship, show you can be trusted, spend lots of money. Simple.
    I can do the first two but sadly not the third!

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Oh god not again.
    The op has been a member since 2010.

There is one of these posts a week and I stupidly read everyone!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Bad maths. If you won the hand, your 500 stake is won back as well, so total expenditure is only 1200.
    Yes you are correct, I might be lucky and just about get the £1200 back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Funny how everytime you mention your Rolex it is in financial terms and never a suggestion of love of the brand or the actual watches. You just see them as appreciating assets and that is rather sad.
    Yes because I am partaking in a discussion about finance. However I will never sell the Rolex, so the value is not something I worry about. I just think that Rolex are a brilliant watch. I have been wearing my 39mm Explorer for a month and it is pure perfection. I cannot think of a better watch to wear.

Yes because I am partaking in a discussion about finance. However I will never sell the Rolex, so the value is not something I worry about. I just think that Rolex are a brilliant watch. I have been wearing my 39mm Explorer for a month and it is pure perfection. I cannot think of a better watch to wear.
    Loads of better watches mate. Let's start in and around that price point

Omega Seamaster 300 Ceramic
    Omega Planet Ocean
    IWC Aquatimer
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver
    JLC Polaris Date
    Etc etc

In fact the Explorer is crap in comparison to all of the above. Still, it holds its value so enjoy it for the portable ISA that it is but if I have to listen to one more piece of garbage about it being a 'brilliant' watch when you clearly wouldn't know what a brilliant watch was if it slapped you in the face then I'll have to continue assuming that you are either a troll or a bit myopic.

Wearing a SS Rolex is many people's way of telling the world that you aren't wealthy but you have money and want everyone to know. The 'me too' stereotype of watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Wearing a SS Rolex is many people's way of telling the world that you aren't wealthy but you have money and want everyone to know. The 'me too' stereotype of watches.
    How many people? Where do you find this data?

Can you name them ?
    Every Halios I have ever owned sold for a profit. For the same reason too, a decent watch (for the money) and the supply is limited.

It's interesting that when talking about the owning of watches those interested in Rolex seem more focused on the process of not having them - either the residual when you dispose of them, or not being able to get them from an AD in the first place.

That skewed perspective of watch ownership makes sense though as many Rolex watches are only worth the money if you get rid of them. If you plan on keeping your watch you can get better stuff for the money elsewhere.
    Last edited by bedlam; 18th February 2020 at 05:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    How many people? Where do you find this data?
    It’s an opinion..............

(but I suspect you know that).

Master

Rolex sports model supply ; what’s their agenda?

Needs pics this thread. The Hulk gives immense stainless steel wrist presence regardless of price, or a stealth black oyster perpetual. I would have both in the collection depending on mood.

Master

Omega Planet Ocean
    IWC Aquatimer
    JLC Polaris Date
    Etc etc

In fact the Explorer is crap in comparison to all of the above. Still, it holds its value so enjoy it for the portable ISA that it is but if I have to listen to one more piece of garbage about it being a 'brilliant' watch when you clearly wouldn't know what a brilliant watch was if it slapped you in the face then I'll have to continue assuming that you are either a troll or a bit myopic.

I think that's a bit harsh - I'm not a particular Rolex fan, although I have a few; I have not met anyone who thinks that Rolex SS Sports models are not very good watches and a pleasure to wear ........ you may be bored with the Rolex concept, but they are very well made, accurate, hard wearing and fit many dress situations.............and, although I would never spend £10k on a NEW watch, compared with what many are offering, they are reasonable value for money........... I would much rather have a basic Rolex Sub any day over an Omega, just my opinion.

(if people are buying Rolex watches to make money, that's a different issue)
    Last edited by BillN; 18th February 2020 at 08:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I think that's a bit harsh - I'm not a particular Rolex fan, although I have a few; I have not met anyone who thinks that Rolex SS Sports models are not very good watches and a pleasure to wear ........ you may be bored with the Rolex concept, but they are very well made, accurate, hard wearing and fit many dress situations.............and, although I would never spend £10k on a NEW watch, compared with what many are offering, they are reasonable value for money........... I would much rather have a basic Rolex Sub any day over an Omega, just my opinion.

(if people are buying Rolex watches to make money, that's a different issue)
    As bored as I am of the Rolex brand lately, the above listed watches can't hold a candle to the Rolex quality wise.... There are some details like GS dial etc that are arguably better but as a whole package including superior after sales etc it's a no brainer... Touch an Omega bezel or look inside the movement and it's pretty clear most of the money went to the marketing department... Sad but true.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    As bored as I am of the Rolex brand lately, the above listed watches can't hold a candle to the Rolex quality wise.... There are some details like GS dial etc that are arguably better but as a whole package including superior after sales etc it's a no brainer... Touch an Omega bezel or look inside the movement and it's pretty clear most of the money went to the marketing department... Sad but true.
    Owned a hockey puck omega ceramic planet ocean for a short while, turned up to the omega forum meet-up wearing it and general reaction to the it was very meh, says it all about the modern omega range.

I can. A 36mm Explorer....😀

Master

Rolex sports model supply ; what’s their agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    [/B]

So your own opinion of your watch changed on the reactions and opinions of others, interesting!
    My opinions change all the time on watches, sometimes my taste change, sometimes I change my mind, sometimes on reaction to other people’s opinions, hence I do evolve my collection. If nobody ever changes their mind the SC wouldn’t exist.

One things for sure though, I hated the omega 50th anniversary first @rse on the moon the moment I saw it! Lol. Did you change your mind on the speedie?!
    Last edited by ac11111; 18th February 2020 at 09:31.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Well they are not producing no where near enough, hence this thread...

Discontinued models supply is diminishing every day...Broken, over polished.

The dress code in the office and more generally is getting more casual, not just a short term trend, look back to days of the pocket watch.

The global middle class is growing every day, I wonder where the money will go.

And finally car guys many of whom also are watch guys, will soon be buying electric and hybrid cars...time to move their hobby to another area
    Some interesting points there, especially Ute: cars. I dont have a Rolex in my collection as they are now overpriced (when buying 2nd hand/grey) as far as I’m concerned and my tastes have changed. In the 12 years I’ve been obsessed, the choice of watches has also grown massively.

The: the question of £10750 for a BLNR - I’d recommend a Moonwatch and a PO with change for a nice man bag

I concur with the OP’s point about not wanting to be part of it.

Master

Omega Planet Ocean
    IWC Aquatimer
    JLC Polaris Date
    Etc etc

I am detecting aggression in your post and it is unfounded and unnecessary. The simple reality is that hardly anyone looks at the watch on someone elses wrist. Therefore a watch must rank as a poor way of displaying wealth.

Rolex will attract WISs and also investors and there is no harm in that. We just need to accept that and stop criticising each other.

There is a campaign starting up called be kinder, I suggest you read about it and enact it.

Master
    It might be a good gesture to kick off the campaign with you refraining from commenting on any thread about Rolex, as it adds nothing positive to the discussion.
    Well seeing as the OP has entitled the thread "Rolex sports model supply ; what's their agenda?", I think mentioning Rolex is permissible.

Grand Master
    It might be a good gesture to kick off the campaign with you refraining from commenting on any thread about Rolex, as it adds nothing positive to the discussion.
    As a Rolex owner and long- standing member I think Mick’s entitled and qualified to comment, this is TZ, everyone's entitled to comment as they see fit.

If you’re not happy with that perhaps this isn’t the forum for you. I’m getting the impression your more interested in investing rather than the watches themselves.

I am detecting aggression in your post and it is unfounded and unnecessary. The simple reality is that hardly anyone looks at the watch on someone elses wrist. Therefore a watch must rank as a poor way of displaying wealth.

Rolex will attract WISs and also investors and there is no harm in that. We just need to accept that and stop criticising each other.

There is a campaign starting up called be kinder, I suggest you read about it and enact it.
    No problem, I'm on the case with 'be kinder'. I'm checking whether or not there is a campaign around 'being less boring and predictable' but I don't believe there is, shame as your WIS 'advice' would qualify without a doubt. In future perhaps avoid sweeping statements around Rolex being unquestionably better than anything else as that is utter claptrap and a WIS would know better.

Apprentice
    WIS would know better.
    what's a WIS ?

Quote Originally Posted by nod_ View Post
    what's a WIS ?
    Wan... er... Watch Idiot Savant

It would be good if Rolex increased RRP o SS watches but in return used some of that extra revenue to make the watches better. Would be nice if they were on par with Blancpain, Grand Seiko etc which are brands they are now priced against. Of course it isn't quality that counts as most people buy the brand but it would be lovely if the price was also justified in the quality of the finished product.
    I agree, i have 4 Rolexes and my Grand seikos are much better quality / finished watches and have no concerns wearing them in more salubrious cities / environments. One you get passed the "name" grand seiko a far more interesting/ high end brand

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by omegaUK View Post
    I agree, i have 4 Rolexes and my Grand seikos are much better quality / finished watches and have no concerns wearing them in more salubrious cities / environments. One you get passed the "name" grand seiko a far more interesting/ high end brand
    But the name is everything which i rather the point of luxury and the various marketing strategies used. Looking at it "real world", you have a load of wealthy people in a room and the "lower class" amongst them are wearing steel rolexes, whereas the "upper class" have got a one of commissioned piece, and yet still the higher echelons of Rolex are the lower tier for wealthy. It's a massive subject where the reality is that a "100% hand made by crafstmen" Rolex can't exist from the strictly rational perspective that 800,000 watches per year, from 6000 employees. Sure you have elements that are hand assembled, little bit of perlage for the punters but the reality is that on this scale of production this is automated assembly albeit exceptionally well engineered.

It's not just Rolex, Grand Seiko and their Zaratsu polishing is a great example of marketing spin, they bought machines in the 1950's that have a polishing wheel which appears to have a circular polishing face, rather like facing a drill with a circular pad on it, rather than polishing from the side. A craftsmen has to practice for 3 years before they are allowed to polish watches for sale, which doesn't sound brilliant if you put in the context of a 16 year old doing their city & guilds in Basingstoke - nothing wrong with that at all, it's just there is a distinct difference in what the punter is led to believe, that a normal kid works for a living, compared to a marketing blurb talking about Samurai sword creation before discussing craftsmen - one is led down a path.

You can bet that Rolex has a load of bright young things who have already worked out about the 8% price rise and how to create more demand while keeping production the same (working out the minimum price of £4k for a rolex and 800k pieces a year gives an income of £3.2 billion and yes I know rolex wouldn't get all that when sold through a distributor). Hindsight's great, you probably could predict that Rolex will cut down steel watches to certain targets in certain areas because for example, ETA movements were restricted so Tudor went in house, so the whole "in house" brand differentiation need to be redefined between Tudor and Rolex to make sure that both brands are still profitable without cannibalising each other's sales.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post

Needs pics this thread. The Hulk gives immense stainless steel wrist presence regardless of price, or a stealth black oyster perpetual. I would have both in the collection depending on mood.
    The Hulk looks perfect here. Love it!

No I didn't change my mind on the Speedy, it was only ever bought to sell it on and that is still my intention and my Speedy requirements are covered by my Co-Axial version.

Don't forget the fundraiser contribution if you are planning to list it on Sales Corner.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Oh no, not this again.
    +1

Thanks for the advice, but I can give you a 100% guarantee that my Speedmaster will not be sold on sales corner.
    Result!

Thanks for the advice, but I can give you a 100% guarantee that my Speedmaster will not be sold on sales corner.
    Then by admission, you are a returning member with a former ID?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

There's a LNIB Batman on here for £10,750..........you can spend that on a new Omega .........which would you have?
    The Omega - far better customer service in my experience, more interesting technology and no dumb games. Simply go into shop, try on watches, find the one I like, pay for it, go home happy.
    No lists, no warranty card retention and no need to ever deal with RSC again!
    I may be biased based on personal experience...

I think they're out there but AD's are cautious who they sell to. About two years ago I was offered a Daytona (a year after buying my Yacht-Master) by a UK AD who was quite shocked when I said I had no interest in one. Late last Year I was in New Zealand and popped into an AD with what looked like next to no stock. During our discussion the dealer was scathing about grey dealers and showed me two Daytona's from his safe but told me he's extremely wary of who he'd sell them to because Rolex would kick his arse if they fell into the wrong hands.

I would much rather have a basic Rolex Sub any day over an Omega, just my opinion.
    Me too, I actively dislike all the Omegas I've seen, yes including the many, many, many moonwatches (how many iterations are there?).

The Rolex-haters might want to look away from Roger Smith's Hodinkee interview (Omega content also). @10:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Be89xssps

As I've mentioned before, my cousin turned 18 last year, and his Dad had been putting money aside for a while to buy him a Rolex Sub, as his father had done for him.

They went out on his birthday to all the usual suspects in Edinburgh, nothing. Phoned places in Glasgow before heading over, nothing. Ended up going back to the first place they went in (an independent of some sort) and he now has a very lovely Planet Ocean, which he absolutely loves. So there's £5k Rolex have missed out on. Must be hundreds of similar stories from "normal" people all over.

Master
    I don’t understand why everyone has their knickers in such a twist over what essentially is a mass produced product / brand. Not bashing Rolex I’ve had 5, nice they were too, good but average within the watch world imo.

You don’t seem to get this level of anxiety over other brands. Just my thought as an example Rolex production between 800k and 1m annually, Patek haven’t made 1m since they started production and have been around longer.

Yet people, most people just accept this and get on with life.

Strange, or rather, interesting how different brands brings out different emotions in people.

At the end of the day they are just watches, no matter what tier the brand is perceived at being. I think sometimes we forget that, and forget no company owes us anything.

As I see it there is no agenda and it isn’t a conspiracy, just a company sitting comfortably selling everything they make with a demand for more. It’s the long game capitalist dream. Good luck to them too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    As I've mentioned before, my cousin turned 18 last year, and his Dad had been putting money aside for a while to buy him a Rolex Sub, as his father had done for him.

They went out on his birthday to all the usual suspects in Edinburgh, nothing. Phoned places in Glasgow before heading over, nothing. Ended up going back to the first place they went in (an independent of some sort) and he now has a very lovely Planet Ocean, which he absolutely loves. So there's £5k Rolex have missed out on. Must be hundreds of similar stories from "normal" people all over.
    With the demand for Rolex, I’m sure they won’t lose any sleep over it.

Apprentice

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    ...As I see it there is no agenda and it isn’t a conspiracy...
    we have only your word for it

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    I think they're out there but AD's are cautious who they sell to. About two years ago I was offered a Daytona (a year after buying my Yacht-Master) by a UK AD who was quite shocked when I said I had no interest in one. Late last Year I was in New Zealand and popped into an AD with what looked like next to no stock. During our discussion the dealer was scathing about grey dealers and showed me two Daytona's from his safe but told me he's extremely wary of who he'd sell them to because Rolex would kick his arse if they fell into the wrong hands.
    Two things:
    1. Why are they cautious
    2. What have grey dealers got to do with it?

are you saying that dealers do not sell Rolexes in case grey importers sell them on? or that there are so few watches currently that people will flip them for higher than retail price?

Interestingly I found this Blancpain Limited Edition where it's more expensive secondhand and still in warranty compared to buying new:

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Blancp...8413da0&rank=5

Master
    Two things:
    1. Why are they cautious

are you saying that dealers do not sell Rolexes in case grey importers sell them on? or that there are so few watches currently that people will flip them for higher than retail price?

Interestingly I found this Blancpain Limited Edition where it's more expensive secondhand and still in warranty compared to buying new:

Holy moly the grail of grails you have stumbled upon

[/B]

So your own opinion of your watch changed on the reactions and opinions of others, interesting!
    I mean, that’s only natural isn’t it? You want people who you like / respect to validate your choices and tastes. That is human

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    As a Rolex owner and long- standing member I think Mick’s entitled and qualified to comment, this is TZ, everyone's entitled to comment as they see fit.

If you’re not happy with that perhaps this isn’t the forum for you. I’m getting the impression your more interested in investing rather than the watches themselves.
    As a Rolex owner and long standing member .....?

What relevance is that to your belief that another member is allowed an opinion ?

What a strange thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post

What relevance is that to your belief that another member is allowed an opinion ?

Didn't you know that a Rolex owner's opinion counts twice as much?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post

Haha excellent! They should have their own AD and call it "Pompous and Pompous"!

Blog Entries
    And there was me thinking it was Seiko GS ownership that conferred special status! 😂😂😂
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Two things:
    1. Why are they cautious

What has a Blancpain got to do with Rolex, Grey dealers are probably taking the largest proportion of product at the moment, you can easily obtain any sports Rolex ex stock with little effort provided you are prepared to pay the premium, Rolex must be happy for this situation to continue otherwise they would have found a practical way of stopping it, The current system is open to abuse and probably corrupt when based completely on the store managers discretion/whim, Rolex's attitude is "its not us gov"

As of grey dealers were the problem they are simply filling a gap, connecting supply and demand.

Honestly, there isn't even a problem. A shortage of supply in Rolex watches is hardly a problem.

And who thinks the demand for new steel Rolex would be anywhere as high if they weren't trading at a premium? A circular reference if there ever was one.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I mean, that’s only natural isn’t it? You want people who you like / respect to validate your choices and tastes. That is human
    Relatively immature human perhaps.

Craftsman
    Ha ha , clearly not !

You learn something new everyday.....