closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch winder recommendation.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Watch winder recommendation.

A friend of mine wants some advice on which winder to buy (2 watch capacity) and I have absolutely no idea about them, can a guru let me know some options for me to pass along.

cheers

mike

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    A friend of mine wants some advice on which winder to buy (2 watch capacity) and I have absolutely no idea about them, can a guru let me know some options for me to pass along.

cheers

mike
    Here is my recommendation, don't bother getting one. I have one, and never use it these days. Watches don't need to be kept wound, any more than cars need to be kept running. Yes, wear it for a day a month to keep the movement active, but it doesn't need to be on a watch winder.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
    Here is my recommendation, don't bother getting one. I have one, and never use it these days. Watches don't need to be kept wound, any more than cars need to be kept running. Yes, wear it for a day a month to keep the movement active, but it doesn't need to be on a watch winder.
    I second that motion, as with any moving mechanical item they need to rest from time to time. I rotate my watches regularly to give each one a chance to stop and rest. All my watches are no date variants so I don't have to deal with that. I just wind them up, hack, and set.

Master
    Here is my recommendation, get one that's programmable, so it mimics a watch being worn. I have one, and and use it daily. Watches don't need to be kept wound, but certain models can be a PITA setting them up once stopped, the car analogy is stupid. Yes, a watch doesn't need to be on a watch winder, but they are convenient.

Using a winder should cause no more wear than daily use. Indeed, it'll generally be gentler and devoid of the occasional shocks of daily wear. Given that a quality wristwatch is normally serviced ~5-yearly, tales of winders killing watches prematurely are probably to be taken with a pinch of salt. Provided the winder in question can be programmed to an appropriate number of turns-per-day, they will likely benefit mainsprings vs leaving them perpetually unwound if the watch is rarely worn.
    View it as a convenience, not a necessity.

Bridging the gap between sketchy Chinesium and upmarket options like Wolf, Beco's "Boxy Fancy Brick" is a Lego-like modular option, available in a variety of glossy colours and finishes + leather, and starts around £100 for a single winder + PSU, you can then add a couple a more winders at ~£70 in a small stack, or get a baseboard ~£30 and build a small wall of 12 winders. They are programmable as to TPD and direction. I have 6 on the go in the bedroom (fnarr!) and can sleep through their quiet churning - though that probably says more about my snoring than their outright quietness, as they are not silent.

Master
    Mike, I bought a Wolf Windsor double winder from a US flash sale website a while back (see pic) and despite being hideously overpriced for what it is (even taking into account the savings over the UK price) I have to say it works pretty well.

I've had one of the Jura freebie winders in the past which was fine, but the Wolf winder is absolutely silent, which may be a consideration depending on where he wants to put it. Nothing more irritating than an intermittent background buzzing when it starts up..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Complete waste of money
    Is your opinion.

I wear my 1655 maybe a few times a month, and with no quickset date it can take a good 20 mins of winding to get it back round to the correct date (and yes, I do want the date on my watch to be correct). I took the view that winding every couple of days on a winder was likely to be less damaging than manually winding it on each and every time I want to use it.

The thing I don't like about them, is that they mean leaving your watches out on view.
    People's circumstances, locations and collections differ but I'd rather keep my watches in the safe when they're not being worn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    The thing I don't like about them, is that they mean leaving your watches out on view.
    People's circumstances, locations and collections differ but I'd rather keep my watches in the safe when they're not being worn.
    Most of the better ones take batteries and can be popped in the safe.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    A very good point, storing them in a safe or safe hiding place is basic common sense and that’s a whole lot harder with a watch winder.

I’m not a fan of winders, I’ve explained why in the past, but if folks feel happier using them that’s their decision. What I am strongly against us using them with vintage watches, makes absolutely no sense to maximise the wear rate on parts that are no longer available, especially if the movement hasn’t been lubricated for years.

Folks will believe what suits them and do as they wish, there’s a market for these things.

cheers

mike
    Mkke, I’m about to sell a walnut Rapport 2-watch winder that had new power supplies and motors fitted by Rapport a couple of years ago. If you think it might be of interest drop me a PM.

Buy one as cheap as possible. It will end up tucked away unloved somewhere like the breville toaster. Don't ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Complete waste of money.

And intelligence. This is what happens in the transition from WIS to COLLECTOR.

The only time worth using winders is with annual calendars.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    And intelligence. This is what happens in the transition from WIS to COLLECTOR.

The only time worth using winders is with annual calendars.
    In your opinion

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had two twin timetutelary winders,not bad for the money.Sold both as wanted to keep watches out of view.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    In your opinion
    I am open to anyone who has more than just an opinion and says different to what I have said.

I think they serve a purpose if your watch has a screw down crown or complication that you don’t want to run down. I’d say there is more wear when you are constantly screwing and un-screwing a crown or changing the date through 15 days by jumping an hour hand on a GMT when compared to having your watch on a winder.

I’ve had two in the past. The first was one of those eBay “polished walnut” winders that had two watches per spindle and cost about £150. Utter crap. The motors were loud and struggled with sports watches especially if you didn’t balance the head by having two watches on it. The second was a Jura/CS Sellors winder which has been great...very quiet and reliable.

Apprentice

cheers

mike
    I agree that it’s a difficult decision to make.

Personally I like having a winder, the availability of wearing a watch when you want and at short notice is the greatest attraction. I echo the comments about the turns per day and this is probably the most vital part when shopping for one.

I have a Barrington Quad winder and am very pleased with it and excellent customer service!
    I did have their double but out grew that one!
    They even have a section on their website for finding your watch and the correct rotations.

Good luck shopping!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Wolf hands down imo.

if it has to be two, then two of theses ( wish i could afford one!)
    Bernard Favre PLANET DOUBLE-AXIS

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I am open to anyone who has more than just an opinion and says different to what I have said.
    I have an old Tissot day-date that has no quickset.. so you have to wind forward to get the date of the day before, then wind back to get the day before the day, and then wind forward to match the day and date changeover at midnight.

I keep that sod on a winder !

Master
    Found it!