closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai 233.

Panerai 233.

No idea why but i cannot seem to get the thought of owing a Panerai 233 out of my head. I have owned and have flipped a 176, 177, 285 and a 311 and thought that i had got over the Panerai bug though the 233 keeps popping up in my mind.
    I loved my 311 monopulsante though it had issues which meant being returned to the dealer on 3 occasions.
    From the wealth of knowledge on this site, could i ask if there are any known issues with this watch, i would prefer the dot variant though i would be happy to own either
    Thanks for looking and awaiting responses.

Keith.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I think the first dot models did have a problem,what the problem was I’m not too sure ,a bit of googling will probably help.
    Has with all the watches I’ve sold I’ll probably get another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    There were some sticky movement issues with the early dot dials. If it's been serviced then this should have been sorted, or if a later dot or AM/PM no problems.

233 is the watch that changed my WIS life. I used to have a lot of different watches, and then slimmed down to only Rolex - all sporty steel ones. They've all gone and I'm now just Panerai. Nothing else interests me. So whilst I highly recommend the 233 it should also come with a WIS warning :)

Personally I would get AM/PM version https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=252365

Gents, thanks for the info, i will now be on the lookout for one.

Regards.

Keith.

ASW1 has covered the 'issues' with the 233. I had the dot version many years ago and no issues with it. It is a fantastic watch. I sold it because I couldn't get a perfect fit, but I would buy one again actually. One of the 'original' in-house movement watches and one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    There were some sticky movement issues with the early dot dials. If it's been serviced then this should have been sorted, or if a later dot or AM/PM no problems.

233 is the watch that changed my WIS life. I used to have a lot of different watches, and then slimmed down to only Rolex - all sporty steel ones. They've all gone and I'm now just Panerai. Nothing else interests me. So whilst I highly recommend the 233 it should also come with a WIS warning :)

Personally I would get AM/PM version https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=252365
    Why would you choose the AM/PM over the dot - reliability or aesthetics? Believe most prefer the original, just curious!

Master
    One of the favourites from my collection and I sold my 243 which I also really liked to get it. I've had no issues at all with mine, very accurate and consistent timekeeping (within a couple of seconds per day) throughout the wind.

Amazing watches (especially the dot dial, if you can get hold of one)...

They also wear surprisingly well, given the dimensions. The dome is to die for, too

Again, thanks to all, my mind is now made up and i need to try one.

Regards.

Keith.

Journeyman
    The i serial had the problem with the PR in which the PR fang often got stuck on the dial slot

I think they fixed it on J serial

It’s one heck of a Panerai and I think the current pre owned price is good for what you get...

Master

Panerai 233.

Currently I am down to just two Panerai a 233 DD and a 190 (although on the look out for a 243 and maybe another 422/372) and if I had to keep just one it would be the 233.

The DD, dot dial, did initially have issues with the "fang" on the 8 day reserve aperture sticking, I'm pretty sure that was resolved by returning the watch or at service.

My preference would always be the dot dial no particular reason other than I just think it looks better. Although 44mm I have always felt that with the 1950's case and with the fantastic sapphire dome crystal the 233 wears smaller than the 44mm Battarini case versions. I love the sapphire dome crystal, the way it catches the light and distorts the figures at certain angles, beautiful.

The 8 day movement has for me been reliable and accurate, gaining 3/4 seconds a day over a full period, which, normally extends past the 8 days.

Its a great watch, for me one of the modern Panerai icons..............especially with the DD.

Last edited by Nev; 18th February 2020 at 07:41.

Grand Master
    Keith, you would absolutely rock a 233, don’t think, do.
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why would you choose the AM/PM over the dot - reliability or aesthetics? Believe most prefer the original, just curious!
    I prefer the balance/asthetic if the AM/PM as opposed to the random dot.

This thread contains some lovely pics of each.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk