closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home insurance ...

Master
    Blog Entries

Home insurance ...

M&S seem to offer a decent level of cover.

Seems like they are pretty generous on valuables and bikes without too much detail.

Any experience to share?

Blog Entries
    Had to change from Saga to Direct Line this year. Saga put all manner of stupid conditions on it, even saying I couldn't have normal double glazed windows with openers at the front of the property!! Had been with them the last 4 or 5 years as well. Direct Line Select Premier were easy to deal with and reasonable cost for good cover.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, I’ll take a look.

Currently have an AXA premium policy. Had a claim, first in 30 years, not my fault, damaged caused by neighbours tree and it was an absolute ball ache to get them to payout. Had to go to the ombudsman.

I’m attaracted by the M&S policy due to the simple forms and high limits avoiding having to list out watches, jewellery and bike.

Blog Entries
    Some policies have a limit per item, so although they insure up to £100k perhaps, no unspecified item can be more than £5k each. Worth checking.

NFU Mutual for me. Never had to claim for home but they were excellent when I needed them for the car.
    No changes to my premium to include my 14060 either.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    I told Saga this year on renewal that I had a professionally installed alarm on an annual service contract. On last years policy they said I never had an alarm although I'm sure I told them I had one. So they came back and said the underwriters wanted the alarm set at night when we went to bed. I told them I couldn't set the full alarm as we have motion sensors in every room, but could part set it for the window sensors and door sensors. No they said it had to be fully set, at which point I lost interest as it seemed impossible to satisfy them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    M&S Premium is £50k valuables with a single item limit of £15k which is more than I need.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    M&S Premium is £50k valuables with a single item limit of £15k which is more than I need.
    Sounds good. There are always lots of variables.

And at what kind of annual premium ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    And at what kind of annual premium ?
    £700. With all the optional extras turned on.

You might want to take a look at Sovereign Home Insurance. Our house insurance with them including over £100k in watches.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    You might want to take a look at Sovereign Home Insurance. Our house insurance with them including over £100k in watches.
    How much?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    So not only did you plaster across the Internet your location - now you tell the world about your watch collection
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

How much?
    Just over £1500.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    So not only did you plaster across the Internet your location - now you tell the world about your watch collection
    Actually I posted a picture of a car. Others choose to then determine the location of my house, using EXIF data and then choose to discuss it on the forum. No purpose other than to attemp to troll me.

As for my collection.

1) i have posted a number of my watches on the forum because it's a watch forum, just as many others have. So I imagine many folks here might already be aware of my collection.
    2) a number of people on the forum already know my address because I have either purchased stuff from them, or that they have popped in for tea and biccies.
    3) Just because they are insured, why are you assuming all these watches are permanently located at this location.

But thank you for highlighting that if someone was really interested, they could trawl through the forum, attempt to identify my house location, and then set about trying to rob me. Well done!

You really are a pointless ar*e wipe.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Meanwhile anyone have any experience with M&S?

Master
    Meanwhile anyone have any experience with M&S?
    I used m&s for the last few years but as I never made a claim, I can’t say if they are really any good. I can tell you that my premiums increased year on year by about 10%.

I’ve now switched to AvivaPlus. The AvivaPlus policy is identical to the m&s product (because m&s use Aviva) but - at least in my case - a bit cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I used m&s for the last few years but as I never made a claim, I can’t say if they are really any good. I can tell you that my premiums increased year on year by about 10%.

I’ve now switched to AvivaPlus. The AvivaPlus policy is identical to the m&s product (because m&s use Aviva) but - at least in my case - a bit cheaper.
    Seldom if at all does loyalty play any part in any insurance. I hear what you say about having not claimed but it's a bloody game they play, it's shocking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Seldom if at all does loyalty play any part in any insurance. I hear what you say about having not claimed but it's a bloody game they play, it's shocking.
    I agree. They rely on our inertia (a posh word for laziness).

Master
    Blog Entries

I saw they were underwritten by Aviva, I will try them also.

Give NFU a try; use them for all our insurance...contents, buildings, cars, motorhome & pets. So easy to deal with and premiums barely rise year on year.
    Even took on wife's £20k+ collection of bears with no issue where other mainstream insurers didn't see it as straightforward!

David

Journeyman
    Been with M&S for a few years. Decent single item limit that covers most watches being the main attraction. Had a claim for a lost wedding ring 2 years ago and paid out without much hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to let my M&S policies lapse. I click through quidco to get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post
    Give NFU a try; use them for all our insurance...contents, buildings, cars, motorhome & pets. So easy to deal with and premiums barely rise year on year.
    Even took on wife's £20k+ collection of bears with no issue where other mainstream insurers didn't see it as straightforward!

David
    We’ve just taken out an NFU Bespoke Policy where you choose your level of cover. Nothing below £20k in value needs to be itemised and the policy is pretty much customisable to your needs.