closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 'Rattly' UG Polerouter

Journeyman

'Rattly' UG Polerouter

Good afternoon all,
    I have a Universal Geneve Polerouter Date, i think from 1964, with the microrotor. I have noticed it become quite rattly when self-winding ; just picking it up the rotor sounds as if it is rattling on its center wheel pivot. I can't remember if it was like that at the start... should it be like this? Is this just the way it is with these microrotors? Or i need to have a watchmaker have a fiddle with it?
    Thank you.
    John

Journeyman
    Here's the little critter, for context.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Master
    It definitely sounds like someone needs to look at it. Any machinery that starts making noise it didn't used to almost certainly needs attention. Further wearing may cause damage to unavailable parts.

Master
    Can you pop off the case back and take a pic? I'm sure someone with experience of this movement can chime in.

It's quite common for the rotor post to wear - there's an article from a member below that gives a bit more context.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...sh-replacement

I wouldn't be surprised if there are circular rubbing marks on the inside of the case-back.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Normally rotor bush or post wear, hopefully its just a bush like the Omegas . Im not sure on UG . Nice watch by the way .

There are basically two versions of the microtor mechanism. One has a post that the weight rotates about (215/218 caliber) and the other has a bearing plate that has a tiny ball bearing built into it (69 caliber).
    If it’s the first type (21x) then it is either the jewels in the weight are worn or more likely the post is loose in its mounting plate (needs re riveting or replacing).
    The later type with the ball bearing needs the bearing replaced as there is no way to fix it. The parts are rare and quite expensive.
    As the microtor mechanism is interchangeable between movements it is common to find they have been switched out to the other type.
    The best place to learn about these watches is:
    https://universalgenevepolerouter.com

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Can you pop off the case back and take a pic? I'm sure someone with experience of this movement can chime in.
    Thank you, i'll pop the back off tonight and post a picture. Pretty sure it is cal 69, but will double-check.

Incidentally, does anyone know of a reliable watchmaker in London who can be trusted with a vintage watch with a fragile dial such as this? (and not charge an arm and a leg!)

Thank you very much.
    John

I can recommend somebody in France, if that helps. Why do you think the dial is fragile?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by john_coburg View Post
    Here's the little critter, for context.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I really like that. The only thing that’s stopped me getting one is the vertical line going through the brand logo....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I can recommend somebody in France, if that helps. Why do you think the dial is fragile?
    Thank you - France is a bit of a hassle i think, but if i can't find anyone locally, i'll take you up on that. The lume on the dial is likely delicate, no?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I really like that. The only thing that’s stopped me getting one is the vertical line going through the brand logo....
    Those crosshairs are part of the attraction for me! but each to their own ... i can see why you might not like it.

Meanwhile, I'm struggling to find a reliable watchmaker here in London village to service it sympathetically. would anyone have any recommendations, based on experience?

thank you vm, John

FWIW I have used the watchmaker in France that Carlton-Browne recommended and the whole process was very straightforward. Easier than some UK based watchmakers to be honest and a charming and expert chap.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    FWIW I have used the watchmaker in France that Carlton-Browne recommended and the whole process was very straightforward. Easier than some UK based watchmakers to be honest and a charming and expert chap.
    Two recommendations - that sounds enough to me. Thank you. Who is this chap?

Master
    Lovely little watch, get it sorted and enjoy :)