closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strap advice

Craftsman

Strap advice

Having just about given up trying to source a used bracelet for my SMP I’ve turned to alternative straps.

Problem is being colour blind I can’t tell if many dark colours go. What do we think of black strap on blue dialled watch? This is my repurposed 21mm black JPM from my speedy. Thinking of investing in a 20mm black JPM or if someone can point me to a nicely matching blue to go with the 2018 SMP blue I’m all ears.

Possibly brown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Does it need to be a tang strap? I reckon the Omega Novonappa tan brown NATO would look the bomb on that

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Does it need to be a tang strap? I reckon the Omega Novonappa tan brown NATO would look the bomb on that
    I’d go with a deployant instead of tang type but most NATO’s are just too bulky for my wrist I’m afraid. I can’t get my head round the hardware ‘bulge’ on the 12 o’clock side. I do love the Tudor NATO’s for that reason (ie not a traditional NATO).

I’ll check out that colour you suggest though, cheers.

Master
    Hirsh do a sail cloth type waterproof .
    If you want to spend the money then why not buy an Isofrane in either Navy or Black. I believe Boneto Cinturini (spelling ?!?) are a lot cheaper

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Hirsh do a sail cloth type waterproof .
    If you want to spend the money then why not buy an Isofrane in either Navy or Black. I believe Boneto Cinturini (spelling ?!?) are a lot cheaper
    I saw those. I’m not too bothered about waterproof so I’d rather avoid those and stick to a traditional leather look.

A LOT of blue-dialled watches ship with black straps, and you can't go wrong with black (not keen on the "rustic" looking efforts such as you picture - don't suit a diver IMHO), but if it's leather, I prefer brown - and I like the contrast of a mid-tan. Light to mid grey works well with any steel-cased watch, too.

There are plenty of pull-through and 2-part NATOs out there, including Marine Nationales, which avoid the bulk.

Grand Master
    Cousins do a thick smooth leather one with white stitching for under £20, it works nicely on a blue- dialled SMP. V hard wearing too.

A good choice if you’re not a strap snob, and I only recommend stuff that I have first-hand experience with. Not sure whether I could find it again on the website, it’s a few years since I bought mine. Rhey do the same one in blue too, I supplied one on a customers SMP but that was a while ago.

Trying to put a blue strap on a blue watch doesn’t always work, I’ve done it with a vintage Omega Geneve and it took two goes to get something I liked. Black is a safer choice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    A LOT of blue-dialled watches ship with black straps, and you can't go wrong with black (not keen on the "rustic" looking efforts such as you picture - don't suit a diver IMHO), but if it's leather, I prefer brown - and I like the contrast of a mid-tan. Light to mid grey works well with any steel-cased watch, too.

There are plenty of pull-through and 2-part NATOs out there, including Marine Nationales, which avoid the bulk.
    Good points. Thank you. I’ll have a look at those options you suggest. When you say non rustic, do you mean something like the leather deployants currently on offer with the Tudor black bay line?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Cousins do a thick smooth leather one with white stitching for under £20, it works nicely on a blue- dialled SMP. V hard wearing too.

A good choice if you’re not a strap snob, and I only recommend stuff that I have first-hand experience with. Not sure whether I could find it again on the website, it’s a few years since I bought mine. Rhey do the same one in blue too, I supplied one on a customers SMP but that was a while ago.

Trying to put a blue strap on a blue watch doesn’t always work, I’ve done it with a vintage Omega Geneve and it took two goes to get something I liked. Black is a safer choice.
    Good call on cousins. Never been on their site before. I think I’ll try one of their black with blue highlight straps. And it’s deployant friendly as well. Bonus.

Thanks all for your advice. It’s much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    When you say non rustic, do you mean something like the leather deployants currently on offer with the Tudor black bay line?
    FWVLIW, I was referring to the large, crude stitches and already-knackered-looking finishes on strap types that so often have the descriptor "vintage" or "handmade" - it's just a matter of personal taste really, and shouldn't influence your choice!

The blue option from WatchGecko's "flyboard" leather/rubber composite dive range would look mint IMHO
    Last edited by earlofsodbury; 18th February 2020 at 16:39. Reason: moar stuff, obvs

Master
    Black straps work well on blue dial watches, but not all blue straps work that well against blue dials - if going blue I would make sure it is a very dark navy to be safe.