closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Four months of incomings in one fell swoop!

Four months of incomings in one fell swoop!

Well, having had a strange (for me) watch-related experience yesterday, it occurred to me that I’ve had some incomings over the past 4 months or so that I’ve not posted about. I do enjoy shooting watches and don’t do it very often these days, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and post a quick write-up on the various arrivals.

First up is a 1979-issued CWC W10. I’m not particularly into issued/military watches but I’ve wanted one of these for ages; the fact that it was issued but is still in such superb condition swung it for me and I have to say that I absolutely love the little thing.

It was serviced by John Senior back in 2017, when along with the mechanical work it also got a new crystal and a light polish. It’s therefore in gorgeous nick and looks particularly good on this hand-made bund strap that was sourced from the Ukraine.

The next one is a watch that I’ve been after for a good couple of years – a Zenith Rainbow Flyback from the original run (the current model is a little oversized for my taste) and with a tritium dial.

This one is from 1999 and is all original save for the lume in the chrono hand. It was serviced by an Italian watchmaker before reaching me, and having decided not to wear it on the bracelet (which I have) I bought something that I’ve not needed for a while now; a Di Modell Rallye strap with red stitching. These have to be the very best bang for buck straps on the market, and it suits the watch very well in addition to being supremely comfortable.

Next up is another watch that I’ve been after for a long while, albeit in Pepsi guise. However, the BLNR is also a gorgeous watch, and given that I’m completely fed up with the whole Pepsi saga I’m going to accept that the future is actually blue and not red.

Now, it may surprise some on here to know that I traded a lovely 16710 for this watch. However (and regardless of conventional wisdom, which is neither here nor there so far as I’m concerned) I’ve never really fallen in love with the more modern 5-digit GMTs. I do love the 1675 and 16750 a lot, but for some reason if it’s not going to be one of them then I’ve always preferred the current ceramic crop. Call me a heathen…

Finally, something completely unexpected. I was out with Bea for a valentine’s lunch yesterday, and we had an amble down Oxford Street before heading home again. Anyway, I was looking in the window of WoS when one of the sales assistants caught my eye and started beckoning me in whilst waving something shiny at me. It turned out to be one of two steel and gold Submariners that he was about to put in the window, and no sooner was I inside the door than I was sipping some cold Veuve Clicquot and pondering over blue or black dials.

Now, I don’t have £11k knocking around for impulse purchases, but I’m about to move a watch on and I’m also going to sell my GO perpetual calendar when it’s back from service (it’s been in Glashutte for the past month); I don’t really wear it, and it’s too lovely to spend its life sitting on a winder. So, having decided that I really do like the black dial a lot I took the plunge. I’m very happy I did, too.

To wrap up, just a word about the modern Rolex range… I’ve never had an issue with the cases, nor do I have any time for those who smugly state say that they wouldn’t wear one if it was given to them. They’re amazing watches with some great innovations in recent years. These two will sit very happily next to my 4 and 5-digit references, and I’ll enjoy wearing both very much indeed.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th February 2020 at 10:13. Reason: Added some more photos

Very busy Tony!

Some interesting additions.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Congratulations, some nice additions. For me the Zenith is the pick, must try one someday.

Some lovely watches there. I like that CWC with the earlier logo which I think changed to the circled logo around 1981. The lume is a lovely colour. The Zenith is great, something different with plenty of colour, very attractive. I can understand why you bought the TT Sub, I had the Blue version 10 years ago and it was stunning. As I recall I sold it to Haywood and it was his first used Ceramic Sub. I remember at the time being given the choice between the new Ceramic and the older version or the Black and chose the Ceramic Blue because the middle gold links were solid.

I would of gone with the black dial as well . My son would go blue. They are both nice watches in their own right and yours compliment the GMT nicely.

Four watches that would be enough for many as a collection.👍

Have you given up on reducing your collection and accepted that in reality you will always dabble with new watches?

I am with you on being happy enough to wear both 5 and 6 digit Rolex (don’t have any 4🙁) depending on the model.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice Tony. With regards to the GMT, I had both the BLNR and the BLRO. I chose the blue nine times out of ten and have just sold the Pepsi. It was a lovely watch and I already miss it but I think you have gone for the better of the two.

Love that CWC, Tony

Zenith and CWC for me.

In case you ever want to move one of them on (question being the 'when' rather than the 'if'), you know where I am.

I think that CWC used to be mine, and it's as good as they get. The Zenith is another one that's been on my list forever, but somehow the timing has never been right.

Lovely incomings all of them, enjoy!

I love the Zenith, and only recently sold mine to fund the new house move - such a great watch. I do like the TT Subs in ceramic, and might have to give in and pick up a blue one at some stage, but I’d have to consider reducing a couple of other TT divers first if I did.

Looks like a busy buying spell :)
    It's just a matter of time...

That W10 has some TZ history I believe

Journeyman
    Recently had an opportunity to buy a preowned two tone and was really, really tempted! However waiting it out for the 116610LN at an AD.

Journeyman
    Some very nice watches there, but that Zenith is lovely, enjoy.

Cheers everyone - yes, the Zenith and CWC are indeed lovely watches. In fact, I wore the Zenith almost exclusively for about a month after I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Have you given up on reducing your collection and accepted that in reality you will always dabble with new watches?
    God question! The evidence suggests that I have, but I'll be a couple of watches lighter in a month or two and will then consider my original intentions to determine whether I'm up to the task

More of a collection incoming than a couple of incomings! Will be interesting to see what goes in the next few months from the collection. Although the two tone Sub isn't my cup of tea it's refreshing to see the black bezel variant rather than the blue. I think everyone falls over themselves for the blue and forgets the black exists. You went with the better version imo but of course my opinion means nothing! I can only assume you ran out of bells and whistles to buy for the bike so went back to watches!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    More of a collection incoming than a couple of incomings! Will be interesting to see what goes in the next few months from the collection. Although the two tone Sub isn't my cup of tea it's refreshing to see the black bezel variant rather than the blue. I think everyone falls over themselves for the blue and forgets the black exists. You went with the better version imo but of course my opinion means nothing! I can only assume you ran out of bells and whistles to buy for the bike so went back to watches!
    Haha... I’ve actually been very careful about what I’ve bought for the bike, and I don’t want anything else (save for a rear shock at some point, unless I go through the summer and no longer think it’s necessary).

Anyway, with regard to watches I can’t help planning ahead a little bit now, given that in two years we’ll be preparing to move to the sun. I’d say that, without a doubt, this will be one of the watches I keep and take with me (the BLNR too) so in that sense it was a great opportunity to pick one up brand new and AD-supplied.

I agree with you regarding the black dial, by the way. I think it’s perfect for the TT, and in fact looks great in GMT guise as well.

Key is Tony to buy what you like, give a damn to what others think. Personally I really like the modern BLNR GMT - the most successful of the ceramic Rolex (including the Pepsi as the Jubilee bracelet is a bit naff in my book).

I'd also have gone black over blue for the two tone. Enjoy the watches!

Master
    That CWC is gorgeous, I must keep an eye out for one this year. I love that two-tone Sub too, black and gold combo is really classy.

That’s more like it!
    Four great watches and lovely pics to boot.
    The TT looks gorgeous and would take it over the ‘bluesy’ any day.
    That Rainbow Zenith!!

The TT looks fantastic, not one I’ve ever considered or seen, always seem to see pictures of the blue but that looks so much better.

Master
    Don’t think I’ve seen the TT sub in the flesh in that configuration, looks really good. Enjoy the incomings!

Wonderful watches, Tony. The CWC oozes character.

FMF

One again, thanks everyone for the comments. Interesting that the view on the Sub seems to be that it's the better option on the blue/black dials... having worn it for a few days now, I can certainly say that it's not very blingy on the wrist. FWIW, I'm really pleased that I went for black, and I could easily have it as an only watch (yeah, i know - that's because I'm mature, like a fine wine ).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th February 2020 at 13:08.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    One again, thanks everyone for the comments. Interesting that the view on the Sub seems to be that it's the better option on the blue/black dials... having worn it for a few days now, I can certainly say that it's not very blingy on the wrist. FWIW, I'm really pleased that I went for black, and I could easily have it as an only watch (yeah, i know - that's because I'm mature, like a fine wine ).
    I suspect that you may have started a flood of enquiries for this "non popular" TT

Really like the rainbow Zenith, and of course the CWC which is a really good one, have seen it twice if not three times in SC but never the right time for me.

Just as a matter of interest, the 116613LN has settled down at +1.5 spd... that's quite impressive, and shows that the -2/+2 tolerance is being met out of the box.

Lovely as always Tony. Enjoy!

I love that TT

Congrats Tony. Wow, busy month and you're only half trough Feb.
    Magnificent pictures as always

Thanks guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Nono View Post
    Congrats Tony. Wow, busy month and you're only half trough Feb.
    Magnificent pictures as always
    Very kind, thank you. This covers the past four months, though - I doubt there’ll be anything else this year unless I strike gold unexpectedly.

Like both the Rollies
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Never ever considered a TT sub..but those pics make it look very desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    The TT looks fantastic, not one I’ve ever considered or seen, always seem to see pictures of the blue but that looks so much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Don’t think I’ve seen the TT sub in the flesh in that configuration, looks really good. Enjoy the incomings!
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I suspect that you may have started a flood of enquiries for this "non popular" TT
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I love that TT
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Never ever considered a TT sub..but those pics make it look very desirable.
    Well, having started a run on new motorbikes and motorbike tests, it's only right and proper that I do something similar for the humble TT Submariner
    Last edited by learningtofly; 19th February 2020 at 09:11.

Great purchases, particularly over just 4 months! That CWC has a lovely vintage look.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks guys

Very kind, thank you. This covers the past four months, though - I doubt there’ll be anything else this year unless I strike gold unexpectedly.