closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caroline Flack RIP

Craftsman
    Horrible to hear. I wasn’t a fan (or a detractor) but trial by tabloid is just awful.

Journeyman
    Sad news, and tragic that she felt this was the only way out, clearly a very troubled lady.

I must say I was truly shocked and upset by this news, playing on my mind to be honest.

Oh Caroline No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w7ZeSIC6K0

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I don’t get why it’s sad, she was an abusive junkie who smashed lamps over peoples skulls
    Stupid comment.

Her relatively successful media career will have defined her existence from her own perspective. With the pending court case almost certainly going to result in an assault conviction or worse, her mainstream career was pretty much over. I guess she couldn't deal with that.

Master
    I guess over the next few days the media will be full of what a tragedy this is (and it is) and what a great person she was (not that she necessarily was). As has been noted, far too many "ordinary" people will have reached the edge of their own personal despair and fallen off the edge, maybe due to lack of support. The only, slim, benefit of the media coverage is that someone may just recognise that someone they know is be struggling and may reach out to them. I feel that would be the only way something good will come out of a very sad event.
    I wonder how many of those posting platitudes about Caroline will acknowledge to themselves that maybe they could have done more to actually help her.

Lots of things wrong here, press intrusion, cps chasing a case no one supported, social media, tv companies (did they give her any support like Ant n Dec or Schofield no doubt got) and social/mental care in society in general...
    One of probably hundreds or thousands which could of being or can be prevented...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you get older any loss of life seems tragic whether it be human or wild life, RIP :(

The Sun has removed an article about a “brutal” Valentine’s Day card mocking the deceased former Love Island presenter Caroline Flack from its website.

The story highlighted a card featuring a drawing of the presenter with a message saying “I’ll fucking lamp you” but it was removed from the website and replaced with a legal warning, amid concerns about how the media handled coverage of her arrest.

It is unclear when the story about the Valentine’s Day card, which was published on Friday but replaced with a legal removal story by Saturday evening – when her death was announced – was taken down.

The Sun today:
    CHARM OF THE WILD CHILD How Caroline Flack’s quick wit and ability to laugh at herself helped her become one of our best-loved presenters
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    As you get older any loss of life seems tragic whether it be human or wild life, RIP :(
    Well said. So sad that she'd reached such a point in her mind that continuing to exist was more painful than the alternative. RIP.

Thumbs up

I don’t get why it’s sad, she was an abusive junkie who smashed lamps over peoples skulls

What a thoroughly vacuous and unpleasant statement to make.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    None of us have a right to judge her on what she has or hasn’t done, simply because we don’t know the full facts of her life or her relationship with the boyfriend, none of us know her past, maybe things happened that severely affected her mentally.

Either way she has ended up in a place so low that it’s taken her life, so before the nah sayers put her down anymore, just realise it could easily be you one day, couple of wrong decisions, relationship breakdown, a death of someone close to you, you could easily be in the same place as her.

I absolutely agree with this.... and RIP Caroline.
    Last edited by spuds; 16th February 2020 at 10:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    Sad as it is there are 18 suicides each day here in the UK and I'm willing to bet on the day she took her own life the other 17 had less opportunity, less money and probably more talent and no media coverage or false glowing tributes.
    Disagree with assumption others had more talent. She was good at what she did and entertained a lot of people.

RIP Caroline.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

The Sun today:

R
    Everything that’s wrong with modern society right there...
    Hero to zero in the blink of an eye...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Laura whitmore is in bits on 5 live at the moment talking about Caroline, her good mate. Horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Lots of things wrong here, press intrusion, cps chasing a case no one supported, social media, tv companies (did they give her any support like Ant n Dec or Schofield no doubt got) and social/mental care in society in general...
    One of probably hundreds or thousands which could of being or can be prevented...

Agree apart from the CPS. Domestic violence is handled differently for very good reason. The CPS had every right to continue with the prosecution and dropping it would have sent the message sent a very bad message. Domestic violence is serious and it doesn't matter if it's a woman dealing the blows or being dealt the blows.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    She may be, but I've no clue who Laura Whitmore is, genuinely no clue.
    Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Thanks for sharing
    You think this was better?

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Terrible news. I can’t imagine what she was going through.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I'm sorry she felt so alone and so helpless that she chose to take her own life. She obviously needed help yet didn't (or chose not to) receive it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Very sad she’s taken her own life but she was an abusive drug addled mess, like so many celebrities these days I’m afraid

That is the sad bit...........there will be more like this.

She had threatened this a couple of years ago - Allegedly ?

B
    Last edited by Brian; 16th February 2020 at 13:47.

So sad to see how this has ended.

The poor girl must have been desperate and helpless
    Awful

I read a FB comment today saying that instead of judging her or missing her, do something positive and call somebody you know you haven’t heard from for ages, or you know is having the odd issue
    Couldn’t agree more

RIP

Blog Entries
    Perhaps her Mental Health WAS the contributor to the domestic assault that happened.

Who knows.

I just find the whole thing sad and tragic.
    The fact that she was more successful than many of the other people who do it daily actually just shows how BAD her mental state was.
    To be in a position of privilege and success and STILL take your own life... well... that says it all for me.

Riches and success mean nothing to both the Demons and to the Reaper. They still come knocking at your door.
    My job sometimes sees me talking people out of killing themselves.
    Mental Health is a huge evil killer.

Tragic.

RIP.
    Last edited by gregory; 16th February 2020 at 18:03.

Gregory, do you ever wonder if on some level our value system/ definition of success and perhaps even what qualifies as entertainment, might be a little out of whack at all...

Master

Caroline Flack RIP

Deleted
    Last edited by joe narvey; 17th February 2020 at 11:56. Reason: Deleted as thread took a turn I don’t want to be associated with.

I think language is key here. There aren't any deaths 'attributed' to Love Island. There have been deaths in the cadre of LI contestants but that's very different. I think LI will take a battering now but it shouldn't as it can't be responsible for the actions of the public who think it's OK to say the most hideous things about people.

There's been several deaths linked to the phenomenon that is celebrity culture and social media. David Baddiel wrote a good piece in the Times (I think) a few weeks ago on this topic. He explained the difference in timing between Big Brother and Love Island and that, in the early days of BB, there wasn't the social media spread there is today. So if Nasty Nick didn't buy a paper he was unlikely to see the criticism of him whereas now it can hardly be escaped.

The answer isn't, as some believe, stopping the use of social media. The answer, or part of it at least, is that social-media-land is like cowboy country, totally lawless. There needs to be consequences for trolls which will also act as deterrents.

RIP Flackers. You're a Strictly legend.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    True this.

Never mind the curse of strictly. This love island has bad connotations . How many suicides or deaths attributed to this show??

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

So you both knew her well then? Do you have evidence that she took drugs? She may well have been those things but you don't know that, you're just perpetuating the myth peddled by the media which contributed to her taking her own life. Absolutely appalling statements.

Yeah true, suicide is immensely saddening but, is that still the case if it’s all brought on by yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Very sad she’s taken her own life but she was an abusive drug addled mess, like so many celebrities these days I’m afraid

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Stupidest thing I’ve read on here for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Gregory, do you ever wonder if on some level our value system/ definition of success and perhaps even what qualifies as entertainment, might be a little out of whack at all...
    I think that is a given. Especially here on a watch forum which applauds the ownership of Rolex, PP etc...

Master
    While I would agree that it is sad that anyone, let alone a person that seemed to have a lot of privilege (money, successful career etc) should feel that they would rather end their life than continue the daily struggle, just remember that we all see the world through our own eyes. Not everyone has a strong will to survive or even holds life in as much importance as many.

RIP CF

"tis a fleeting thing this life. How beautiful it would be to be able to live it how we liked, and to end it at our behest"
    Last edited by redmonaco; 17th February 2020 at 12:54.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    So you both knew her well then? Do you have evidence that she took drugs? She may well have been those things but you don't know that, you're just perpetuating the myth peddled by the media which contributed to her taking her own life. Absolutely appalling statements.
    Judicious use of the ignore function makes this thread a much more humane place.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Judicious use of the ignore function makes this thread a much more humane place.

Poor girl. She must have felt that her shame was very public.
    I don't understand why so many people aspire to, or fawn over celebrity.
    But I guess I was born in a different (and in my opinion better) age, and I'm only ten years older than Ms. Flack.

I don't really know who she was, just another pretty face from the dancing program that the wife watches. But as with many suicides, what a tragic waste.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

Well said.

Too much assumption and generalisation, Saint-Just. Mental health is such a complex field and we only know a tiny fraction of what went on here. What is indisputable is the sadness of the loss, particularly at such a young age.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Dying at 40 is sad. Mental health issues need to be addressed.
    But a job in the public eye is incompatible with mental health issues.

Employers need to understand that. But employees need to help themselves.

Hundreds commit suicide every year. She was not worth less sympathy than them. She did not deserve more either.

There is hardly any generalisation.

We, as a society (and it's not "we" as the UK, since it seems K-pop is even worse), have lost our values of empathy and compassion to social media and shows like BB and of course Love Island, among others. How fun it is to see those people stab themselves in the back, cheat on each other, or dump each other in front of a camera, isn't it? She was part of that, and apparently good at it.
    Unfortunately it doesn't stop there. It doesn't stop with the tabloids publishing their usual crap. "Progress" means we have Social Media, where everything can be written without having to take responsibility for the comments.

She was part of that game. She, like K-pop idols, like the contestants, were drawn to the fame/career and the Champagne lifestyle it came with - or so they thought. But the price is much higher than they ever thought it would be.

Jo Cox was murdered by someone who couldn't stop to typing hatred but had to act. But thousands are content enough typing this hatred day in, day out. And the way Social Media works reinforces their opinions, as they will see preferentially 'like-minded' posts.

How many teenagers have committed suicide just because a classmate -or even a perfect unknown - had started to target them? The answer is too many. Their death is sadder because they were younger, with no life experience to help them, but more importantly because they were not looking for exposure. Unlike the contestants, and unlike CF.

So yes, mental health issues come in many different guise. But that sort of show will bring out the most hard core reaction in SM. The usual saying is 'If you can take the heat, get out of the kitchen". The problem is, with mental health, you don't know you can't take the heat until is too late.

For the rest, I hope that all those who lament her death will concentrate on donating to Samaritans, calling those of their loved ones who they haven't spoken to for a long time, or who they know are at risk, instead or joining the flow of mourners who only mourn her because she was in the public eye, unlike the other ca 800 other persons who committed suicide this year.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

We, as a society (and it's not "we" as the UK, since it seems K-pop is even worse), have lost our values of empathy and compassion to social media and shows like BB and of course Love Island, among others. How fun it is to see those people stab themselves in the back, cheat on each other, or dump each other in front of a camera, isn't it? She was part of that, and apparently good at it.
    Unfortunately it doesn't stop there. It doesn't stop with the tabloids publishing their usual crap. "Progress" means we have Social Media, where everything can be written without having to take responsibility for the comments.

She was part of that game. She, like K-pop idols, like the contestants, were drawn to the fame/career and the Champagne lifestyle it came with - or so they thought. But the price is much higher than they ever thought it would be.

Jo Cox was murdered by someone who couldn't stop to typing hatred but had to act. But thousands are content enough typing this hatred day in, day out. And the way Social Media works reinforces their opinions, as they will see preferentially 'like-minded' posts.

How many teenagers have committed suicide just because a classmate -or even a perfect unknown - had started to target them? The answer is too many. Their death is sadder because they were younger, with no life experience to help them, but more importantly because they were not looking for exposure. Unlike the contestants, and unlike CF.

So yes, mental health issues come in many different guise. But that sort of show will bring out the most hard core reaction in SM. The usual saying is 'If you can take the heat, get out of the kitchen". The problem is, with mental health, you don't know you can't take the heat until is too late.

For the rest, I hope that all those who lament her death will concentrate on donating to Samaritans, calling those of their loved ones who they haven't spoken to for a long time, or who they know are at risk, instead or joining the flow of mourners who only mourn her because she was in the public eye, unlike the other ca 800 other persons who committed suicide this year.
    Well put.

Great post Marc.

People seem to be all too easy to post awful/hateful comments on SM 'because it's only the internet'.

It's much bigger than that.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

You may as well posted that about this forum.

It's rather surprising that we have some here wringing their hands about awful, hateful, vindictive posts that target people on the internet, when they have been guilty of exactly the same offence. Doh!

That said, blaming the media/internet trolls is just lazy IMHO, simply because suicides existed long before both, and perhaps why in some cultures is it considered a noble exit strategy where as others view it as illegal or a deathly sin. Even today we consider some suicides to be honourable sacrifices where as others are tragedies with all points in between.

Personally speaking (I am aware of two suicides in my family), the root cause seems to be that the victims simply lose all hope that life (as they knew/know it) will ever improve and therefore see zero reason to continue the struggle.

Maybe the media/internet trolls are enablers, but they are not a cause. The cause is much deeper, more personal and therefore much more complex. But perhaps if people stopped fixating on the negative and started to promote the positive and offered more hope, then suicides numbers might decrease.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Agree apart from the CPS. Domestic violence is handled differently for very good reason. The CPS had every right to continue with the prosecution and dropping it would have sent the message sent a very bad message. Domestic violence is serious and it doesn't matter if it's a woman dealing the blows or being dealt the blows.
    Any death especially taking your own is Sad ! but the above statement is very true ... Celebrities should not be treated any differently to the rest of us .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Great post Marc.

People seem to be all too easy to post awful/hateful comments on SM 'because it's only the internet'.

It's much bigger than that.
    Thats the funniest/most ironic thing I've read on the internet all week!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

Its almost like those nauseating "anti racism" threads that pop up from time to time here. Lots of long eloquent writing, lots of back slapping at how moral and upstanding we are then back to the BP, Boys Room or even Watch Talk to post bile about random strangers usually over and over until a suitable reaction is obtained.

I do wonder if anyone has stopped to think of the effect that their comments have had on people here or if there are people on this forum struggling with mental health or have family who are struggling with it? I wonder if there are people who have used/still use this forum who as a result of the trolling on here have taken a turn for the worse? Perhaps addressing how we treat each other on this forum would be a better idea instead of thinking the problem is somewhere else.
    BP is not a place to discuss anything. Its there so people can swear and argue without reason. It is called the Bear Pit for a reason...

I think he's being sarcastic, from what I know of redmonaco he's a good bloke.

And that makes it ok to abuse people in the internet?

Have you understood nothing about recent events?

I’m quoting this because it deserves to be read more than one. Well said, Robert.

... I do wonder if anyone has stopped to think of the effect that their comments have had on people here or if there are people on this forum struggling with mental health or have family who are struggling with it? I wonder if there are people who have used/still use this forum who as a result of the trolling on here have taken a turn for the worse? Perhaps addressing how we treat each other on this forum would be a better idea instead of thinking the problem is somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I’m quoting this because it deserves to be read more than one. Well said, Robert.
    ‘If anyone had the past year my wife and I have just dealt with then I’m sure some of the comments would be toned down somewhat. My eldest is struggling with life in general and has been for the past 3 years, everyday is a rollercoaster with him and it’s very hard to know what to do for the best.
    The danger of asking him if he’s ok too much to the dangers of not asking him enough - that amount can change week to week. Not knowing where to turn when’s he’s admitted standing on a train bridge and simply not thinking of anything else other than jumping. To feel so bad that you know the turmoil you’re putting your love ones under but being powerless to change your feelings and do anything about it.
    ‘The complete helplessness of having your son breakdown in front of you and everything you say is wrong.
    The helplessness you feel when his doctor won’t speak to you due to GDPR
    The worry you feel in the pit of your stomach when he’s late home from work by an hour and you can contact him........live with it then let’s see if the comments remain the same.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear that Frankie

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes - far too many toxic idiots on here who don’t give a flying *** who they affect with what they say.

Blog Entries
    Couldn't agree more.

Its almost like those nauseating "anti racism" threads that pop up from time to time here. Lots of long eloquent writing, lots of back slapping at how moral and upstanding we are then back to the BP, Boys Room or even Watch Talk to post bile about random strangers usually over and over until a suitable reaction is obtained.

I do wonder if anyone has stopped to think of the effect that their comments have had on people here or if there are people on this forum struggling with mental health or have family who are struggling with it? I wonder if there are people who have used/still use this forum who as a result of the trolling on here have taken a turn for the worse? Perhaps addressing how we treat each other on this forum would be a better idea instead of thinking the problem is somewhere else.
    To be honest, some of the personal comments directed at me by half a dozen or so members on the Brexit thread did begin to have an effect on me at one point I believe. At the time I would probably have denied it but now I can look back more objectively. That's not to say I didn't hit back because I did, I'm not good at 'turning the other cheek', never have been. It wasn't pretty on either side and passions ran high, although I wouldn't expect any such admission from those involved. Sometimes it felt as though some people were simply goading others to the point where they lashed out and got banned for it.

Point is, you can disagree with someone without hating them. There are people on here who have polar opposite views to mine, who I like in spite of that.

Clearly there is a fine line. Whilst I don’t think it’s appropriate to just attack individuals, on the other hand people are accountable for their actions and should therefore expect to be pulled up when their actions are deemed unacceptable. Without enacted laws and rules that’s generally how we determine acceptable standards within a given setting, group, or “community”.

The other side of things is that some of us suffer more than others from negativity or personal comments/insults. Some of that can or should have been foreseeable though, and for the most part can be avoided. Set yourself up, then expect some criticism or non-constructive feedback.

I remove myself from as many situations that I find overly pressurised/stressful as possible, but accept that sometimes that’s just not possible - how we all deal with the situations we can’t avoid will differ due to our experience and support.

Those who carry out an act need to be held accountable - likewise, those who pass comment or take action are also accountable for their conduct.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    ‘If anyone had the past year my wife and I have just dealt with then I’m sure some of the comments would be toned down somewhat. My eldest is struggling with life in general and has been for the past 3 years, everyday is a rollercoaster with him and it’s very hard to know what to do for the best.
    The danger of asking him if he’s ok too much to the dangers of not asking him enough - that amount can change week to week. Not knowing where to turn when’s he’s admitted standing on a train bridge and simply not thinking of anything else other than jumping. To feel so bad that you know the turmoil you’re putting your love ones under but being powerless to change your feelings and do anything about it.
    ‘The complete helplessness of having your son breakdown in front of you and everything you say is wrong.
    The helplessness you feel when his doctor won’t speak to you due to GDPR
    The worry you feel in the pit of your stomach when he’s late home from work by an hour and you can contact him........live with it then let’s see if the comments remain the same.
    Although a slightly different scenario, having a close relative who has serious drug problems I can understand some of the the strain you feel and the helplessness. I hope you can come through it and have better times.

My best wishes to you and your family FFF. We all have struggles and we all deal with them in different ways. I suffered for a decade with anxiety but didn't know it. I thought I lacked patience. I thought life was just meant to be that hard. Once finally diagnosed the relief was huge and I realised that my behaviour over the previous decade made sense.

I had to have a bit of a breakdown to get there though which wasn't pleasant.

In my family, friends and even forum life I behaved in a less than admirable fashion; short fuse, jealousy and just a very generic not being able to see the wood for the trees feeling....all the time. I thought life was unfair and unjust back then.

Since I got help I'm a hell of a lot better. My wife had cancer 18 months ago and I was able to manage that extremely well. Do I get drawn into arguments? Yes. Not as much but at the end of the day we're only human and I'll defend myself when I have to.

With a combination of meds, great friends to talk to, mindfulness (practised every day) and not going into The Draft Thread, I've been able to get better. I discovered a Buddhist preacher called Gaur Gopal Das and his 'Why Worry?' mantra and it has been life changing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YRjX3A_8cM

For anyone struggling, reach out to someone.