closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Edinburgh places to eat

Master

Edinburgh places to eat

Hi TZ

Up to Edinburgh at the weekend with the Mrs and tin lids.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of decent places to eat, not necessarily posh but healthy ish would be nice.

Ta

Auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Hi TZ

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of decent places to eat, not necessarily posh but healthy ish would be nice.

Ta

Auto

Fair chance you've left it a bit late tbf.
    Any time i phone up for decent Edinburgh eateries they are booked well in advance.
    Table for 2 will have a bit more scope of course.
    If you like seafood Ondine is great.

City centre, at this notice, very little chance of anywhere decent. If you can be bothered go up to Leith, try the Roseleaf, it's good.

Or the Rail Bridge in South Queensferry is a decent place, reasonably priced and with a great view. Train to Dalmeny takes only 15 mins.

Master
    First Coast is pretty good and just a short distance from Haymarket. Ignite is one of the best Indian restaurants in town and just a short walk from Haymarket (Morrison Street).

Craftsman
    Check out Makars Gourmet Mash bar on tripadvisor, I can heartily recommend the slow cooked ox cheek.

There’s a decent restaurant on the top floor of the National Museum of Scotland, which also benefits from fantastic views and a roof terrace. Museums not too shabby either. The healthy-ish cliche is Henderson’s in the Old Town which does decent veggie and salad options. I’d personally recommend the Cafe Royal Oyster Bar in West Register Street, handy for Princess Street and Waverley Station, go for a pint of 80 shilling in the Cafe Royal Bar next door - amazing decor and atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    There’s a decent restaurant on the top floor of the National Museum of Scotland, which also benefits from fantastic views and a roof terrace. Museums not too shabby either. The healthy-ish cliche is Henderson’s in the Old Town which does decent veggie and salad options. I’d personally recommend the Cafe Royal Oyster Bar in West Register Street, handy for Princess Street and Waverley Station, go for a pint of 80 shilling in the Cafe Royal Bar next door - amazing decor and atmosphere.
    Agreed on the Cafe Royal - and The Kitchin is getting good reviews.

There are a few places down in Leith (Mussel Inn, Fishers, The Kitchen etc) and they are all pretty good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Agreed on the Cafe Royal - and The Kitchin is getting good reviews.

There are a few places down in Leith (Mussel Inn, Fishers, The Kitchen etc) and they are all pretty good.
    The Kitchin? Fine if you’re okay with the mice droppings. https://www.scotsman.com/news/people...urgh-1-4986214

Craftsman
    I live in Edinburgh and have 2 kids below age of 5. We usually go to Pizza Express if we are going for a family dinner!

That said, plenty of other excellent places to visit of course. We like Scran and Scallie in Stockbridge (good for kids), Shebeen near Haymarket, Vesta at West End, and if you don't mind travelling down out of town a bit then Papilio in Bruntsfield is a superb family Italian restaurant. There are so many options, I wouldn't worry about comments above - you will definitely get a table somewhere decent without booking.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

I always make a point of visiting Kebab Mahal at Nicolson Square. The best Chicken Biriani bar none. Unpromising exterior.

https://www.kebab-mahal.co.uk/

Master
    Blog Entries
    What kinda food are you thinking??

The length of Morrison Street, near Haymarket train station and tram stops, has a good mixed bag of food, likewise Dalry Road towards Gorgie Road, again near Haymarket etc.

City centre george Street into st andrew square is good too.

Edinburgh is quiet this time of year so you should be okay with booking if you feel like doing it. I wouldn’t if I was you

Enjoy yourselves!!

Jim

Hi TZ

Ta

Auto

Craftsman
    If you can get a table at Six by Nico, even for lunch - do it!

Master
    Thanks for all the comments.

We all went to see the Lion King tonight at the playhouse (it was fantastic I can highly recommend it).

Anyway we managed to get into the educated flea which is just a stones throw away from the playhouse. Really nice and good options for the kids.

Thanks again

Auto

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the comments.

We all went to see the Lion King tonight at the playhouse (it was fantastic I can highly recommend it).

Anyway we managed to get into the educated flea which is just a stones throw away from the playhouse. Really nice and good options for the kids.

Thanks again

Auto

Having never heard of the Educated Flea, that looks lovely. Not my end of town but worth a bus trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    Having never heard of the Educated Flea, that looks lovely. Not my end of town but worth a bus trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah definitely try! I don’t know how other places in Edinburgh compare but this was lovely. The food was so fresh and the Edinburgh brewed rake I tried was really really good stuff.
    Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Auto

We enjoyed Scran & Scallie. Bit out of centre though.