closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: pre paid euro card

  1. #1
    Grand Master mart broad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,475
    Blog Entries
    4

    pre paid euro card

    Ok i know we have been here before but as the £-Ä rate is up at the mo whatís the thoughts on a pre paid card or of course your experience of use?
    Thanks
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    7,947
    Blog Entries
    19
    Iím interested too. And bank transfers GBP to EURO best ways to get the best rates

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Surrey UK
    Posts
    50
    I've been using the Revolut card for holidays in europe. Haven't had any problems. Always pay in the local currency on the card. Have a look at their website.

    www.revolut.com. Couldn't do the hyperlink.

  5. #5
    Craftsman TimeThoughts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    991
    I'm on Revolut now also.

    Thats the one to have, Ive used several methods of Stg-Eur over the years and Revolut is the kiddie.

  6. #6
    Revolut for me too, great for security as you only need to transfer money to the card via the app just before transaction/withdrawal. I was getting very close to the exchange and no fee. Really useful now on holiday.

  7. #7
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    36,306
    I suspect some of the responders re missing your point Mart?

    The request was for a card that can be pre-loaded now in Euro's to take advantage of the current exchange rate?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  8. #8
    Craftsman TimeThoughts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I suspect some of the responders re missing your point Mart?

    The request was for a card that can be pre-loaded now in Euro's to take advantage of the current exchange rate?
    You can do that with Revolut; the card has vaults in different currencies.

  9. #9
    Grand Master mart broad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,475
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    You can do that with Revolut; the card has vaults in different currencies.
    This is what i am looking for rather than exchange at the time of withdrawal/ purchase i have a Clarity card for that.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    1,482
    Another vote for Revolut.

    Only thing that has caught me out was using the ATM too much.

  11. #11
    Revolut for me too, use it like a local abroad. For the first time I didnít come home with pockets full of shrapnel. Easy to control, easy to see whatís going on.

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I suspect some of the responders re missing your point Mart?

    The request was for a card that can be pre-loaded now in Euro's to take advantage of the current exchange rate?
    Keep up at the back!

    As has been said, Revolut.

  13. #13
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    36,306
    Quote Originally Posted by genesos View Post
    Keep up at the back!

    As has been said, Revolut.
    At the back?

    How many times do I have to ask you to stop stalking me on the forum Wayne, seriously?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  14. #14
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    14,322
    Quote Originally Posted by thedontheniro View Post
    Transferwise borderless account

    https://transferwise.com/gb/borderless/
    +1

    Buy your currency whenever you like and keep it in your account. Works with multiple currencies, EUR & USD, and you get one MC debit card for all of them.

  15. #15
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    388
    Fairfx always worked for me,there is an upper limit you can hold though.

  16. #16
    The great thing about Revolut is you can set an alert for a higher buy price so you can wait for the rate you want.
    Also never convert at the weekend as the rates are fixed on Friday and usually not as favourable as a weekday rate

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    1,292
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    +1

    Buy your currency whenever you like and keep it in your account. Works with multiple currencies, EUR & USD, and you get one MC debit card for all of them.
    Another vote for TransferWise. I have accounts holding balances of USD, EUR and IDR which I can then spend on the debit card. I can also transfer rupiah to my daughter in Indonesia which arrives in her account within 30 minutes for a very small fee.

    Cheers,

    Nigel

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    582
    Another vote for Revolut. Single spot exchange rate with no spread.

  19. #19
    I have Halifax Clarity and it doesn't allow loading of the card.

    I have looked into Revolut, but I think the limit on free ATM withdrawals is it's major set-back for me.

    Free Revolut - only £200/month free out of an international ATM
    Premium Revolut - £6.99 subscription and still only £400/month free out of international ATM.

    Clarity is infinite free cash out of international ATM, but daily interest on it. In real life I transfer the Sterling cash value immediately across and have only seen 2-3pence in interest.

    But no loading of the card with Euros in advance, which is the thread title and substance.

    Revolut is not the one for me.

  20. #20
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    I have Halifax Clarity and it doesn't allow loading of the card.

    I have looked into Revolut, but I think the limit on free ATM withdrawals is it's major set-back for me.

    Free Revolut - only £200/month free out of an international ATM
    Premium Revolut - £6.99 subscription and still only £400/month free out of international ATM.

    Clarity is infinite free cash out of international ATM, but daily interest on it. In real life I transfer the Sterling cash value immediately across and have only seen 2-3pence in interest.

    But no loading of the card with Euros in advance, which is the thread title and substance.

    Revolut is not the one for me.
    Starling bank current account has no limit or fees on withdrawals and itís a debit card, so no interest. MasterCard exchange rates and really easy to use the app for everything.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,612
    Starling has a free Euro account as well, so you can load up when the rate suits you.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Starling has a free Euro account as well, so you can load up when the rate suits you.

    ooooooh

    we have a winner then.

    1. No fee foreign ATMs
    2. near-Perfect exchange rates
    3. Manage via app (on hols)
    4. Load Euros into a parallel account when rate is good. (with 0.4% conversion fee )

    Any sign on bonus or referral cash-back ?.....

    because I always want more ! (not really, I'm cool with a good deal, oh go on then tempt me in)
    Last edited by The Doc; 18th February 2020 at 11:27.

  23. #23
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,016
    Use Starling. Open a EUR account and transfer across when the rate is favourable.

  24. #24
    Right done.!

    Opened Starling, took about 2 hrs to complete.
    I'm now buying euros today into the parallel euro account at 1.2027 minus 0.4%, so 1.198

    Throw away Halifax Clarity.

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    1,482
    The rate on Revolut right now is 1.2021. Much the same and no % fee.

  26. #26
    It's all good.

    I can live with a 0.34106979452 % loss!

    And my card purchase rate is 0.49710024855 % better than Revolut.

    Life's too short eh?

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    1,482
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    It's all good.

    I can live with a 0.34106979452 % loss!

    And my card purchase rate is 0.49710024855 % better than Revolut.
    I
    Life's too short eh?
    I was merely noting they rates were almost identical, as one would expect.

  28. #28
    I'm not offended and not trying to offend. You are right about the rates. I'm very pleased with what I've read on this thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information