closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quooker boiling water taps, opinions?

A complicated solution to a problem you don't have.

As it’s about two years old now it’s time for an update, firstly filters are £80 each it uses two per year, after a year the control on the tap played up, they came and replaced the whole thing, we went to replace the filter last weekend and noticed that the scale control display has died, I also noticed that one of the push fit connectors was leaking, I replaced it, but interesting that they use the cheapest ones on the market, my guess the whole thing is made in China.

I would say for what they are they are massively overpriced and not very good quality, the convenience of a hot tap is great, but I would choose a different brand.

Master

Quooker boiling water taps, opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    As it’s about two years old now it’s time for an update, firstly filters are £80 each it uses two per year, after a year the control on the tap played up, they came and replaced the whole thing, we went to replace the filter last weekend and noticed that the scale control display has died, I also noticed that one of the push fit connectors was leaking, I replaced it, but interesting that they use the cheapest ones on the market, my guess the whole thing is made in China.

I would say for what they are they are massively overpriced and not very good quality, the convenience of a hot tap is great, but I would choose a different brand.
    Which brand? Don’t think any are ideal.

Also how do you know when the filter needs replacing?

How often did you get it serviced?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Which brand? Don’t think any are ideal.

Also how do you know when the filter needs replacing?

How often did you get it serviced?
    The display thing alarms, you wouldn’t think it old enough to need servicing.

Someone I know has one I’ve those, says it hasn’t missed a beat https://www.methvenhottap.com/produc...brushed-nickel

Craftsman
    We have a fohen boiling water tap, been in 13 months so far , easy to fit and no issues whatsoever..
    Filters are £40 every 6 months and are quick release.
    Would definitely recommend and definitely wouldn't go back to a kettle now.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    When we moved into Southfork almost exactly 4 years ago there was already one of the original Quooker taps installed. Have them (or their sub) service it once a year and never had any problems at all. Would definitely buy another.

They're a bit 'dishwasher syndrome' in that before you have one you think they're unnecessary, but when you have one you soon wouldn't want to be without one.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    When we moved into Southfork almost exactly 4 years ago there was already one of the original Quooker taps installed. Have them (or their sub) service it once a year and never had any problems at all. Would definitely buy another.

They're a bit 'dishwasher syndrome' in that before you have one you think they're unnecessary, but when you have one you soon wouldn't want to be without one.
    I have friends who have one of the older ones, it has never given them any trouble, just takes up more space under the sink.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The display thing alarms, you wouldn’t think it old enough to need servicing.

Someone I know has one I’ve those, says it hasn’t missed a beat https://www.methvenhottap.com/produc...brushed-nickel
    I was told need annual service to keep it tip top.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I was told need annual service to keep it tip top.
    There are no moving parts, they could replace things like the heating tank, but that would make it not fit for purpose

servicing it wouldn't stop parts failing, the tap failed after 10 months (they replaced it and serviced it) a cheap plastic fitting failed after 21 months and leaked water all over the place, and now the display has failed after 22 months, they really are not very good. but they are spending a lot of money on marketing
    Last edited by adrianw; 27th January 2022 at 11:07.

Following this with much interest as we'll be redoing the house kitchen this year and Mrs P thinks one of these would be a good thing. The house came with an entirely separate outdoor kitchen, with brick built bbq/ chimney, sink, water heater, detached from the house in it's own separate building...this is where I do most of the cooking...keeps the odours out of the house and crucially in the summer the additional heat as well also it's situated about midway between the main house and the pool terrace..We built a third partial kitchen up in the porch by the pool...just a work surface, sink, cupboard space, kettle... most crucially a fridge for beers, ice etc.
    I feel we've sufficient kitchen, to my way of thinking taking it all into account, I'm all for keeping the new one simple though Mrs P has 'ideas', we shall see.
    Last edited by Passenger; 27th January 2022 at 11:26.

I'm on the fence to be honest.

We had one when we moved into our house. It gets used daily, but almost never for tea and coffee.

The kids use it for filtered water and surprisingly have never burned themselves. The main use, as mentioned previously, is for a source of boiling water for cooking and cleaning/soaking.

I'm in a hard water area which has meant I've had to replace the boiler and the taps (x2) in a decade. The old boiler also used to regularly short the electrics downstairs before it was replaced.

It's been an expensive luxury, one we could do without, but it's nice to have. Do I think it has been worth it in terms of energy usage, filter cost and replacements? I probably don't think so. But if it broke tomorrow you can guarantee the missus would want it fixed at any cost.

I have a friend who got a Qooker on a sale or return. He didn't like it and asked to send it back. They gave him the money back but didn't want the return. Don't know if that's still a thing.

Blog Entries
    I’ve got a new Quettle mini that I didn’t fit…. If anyones interested they can PM me! I stupidly thought it could cold / hot and boiling…. Turns out it’s boiling and filtered drinking only, so, we didn’t have space for it

My wife put her foot down and said she wasn’t putting up with two spouts going in to the sink…

A shame really as I quite fancied it…

Master
    We put one in our new kitchen and would not be without it. Even my wife who is sceptical has come around to the convenience.

I don’t tend to use it for cooking, induction hob on full heat is quick enough for most things. Did use it once when I was cooking a stir fry then realised I had not soaked the noodles - came in very handy then.

I also like the way it cleans up the kitchen without another gadget plugged in / needing to be cleaned.

We would get another in a flash. The only niggle is that the hot water is very low pressure vs our standard utility tap or the old one. Apparently the quooker is a high pressure tap so this reduces ours to a slow fill. Having large 1.5 bowl size sinks means it is very slow to fill and will be adding a pump shortly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    she wasn’t putting up with two spouts going in to the sink…
    Is that euphemism?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    We have a fohen boiling water tap, been in 13 months so far , easy to fit and no issues whatsoever..

We’ve had a Fohen one in for a over a year now. Fitted it myself and had no problems either. We got two free filters and I’ve totally forgotten to renew the original one. I need to get that done now that you’ve reminded me.

Funnily enough Selco seem to be selling one that looks exactly the same as the Fohen one for around £299.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Is that euphemism?
    Fnar Fnar!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post

We have got a Fohen tap too, it’s doesn’t do sparkling cold water and the cold water isn’t filtered but for £400 it’s great, now way I’d pay a grand for a hot water tap. My consumption of tea has gone through the roof though.

Excusing my ignorance but how do these impact on your electricity bill? Are these always keeping your water at 100° but using a little electricity every time? When all of my family are out during the day, our kettle isn't constantly boiling 'just in case'.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Excusing my ignorance but how do these impact on your electricity bill? Are these always keeping your water at 100° but using a little electricity every time? When all of my family are out during the day, our kettle isn't constantly boiling 'just in case'.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Costs about 3p per day in standby. Insulated water container & the heater flicks on / off through the day. Holds about 3L from memory but you can spec larger ones.

Master
    We had a Qettle fitted when the kitchen was remodelled. We love it. One tap does boiling, filtered cold, as well as normal hot and cold. Gets used many times a day for tea and cafetiere, as well as filling pots for veg (as has been mentioned). I also use it for a quick blast of hot into a recyclable plastic pack (ie bacon) with a dash of fairy to get rid of the grease.

Wouldn't be without it now.

We also have a plumbed in fridge with chilled water and ice. Now that is fantastic!

Craftsman
    I have always thought that tea should be made with freshly drawn, and freshly boiled, water, i.e. not from a 3L tank under the sink that has been kept ticking over, near-boiling all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I have always thought that tea should be made with freshly drawn, and freshly boiled, water, i.e. not from a 3L tank under the sink that has been kept ticking over, near-boiling all day.
    I was led to believe that tea should be made using water at just under boiling temperature.

You are however right that most hot water taps dispense at 98c not that I’d notice the difference. Quooker however runs a pressurised system which allows it to dispense water at 100c

This was my wife’s only red line demand for the replacement kitchen in our new house.

We went all in and got the cube with filtered chilled and sparkling water too. It really has made it easy to drink 2.5-3 let’s a day of water, and the instant boiling water is a boon.

We’re on our second filter in about 2 years and about the 10th CO cartridge, they make it easy to order 4 and there is a pre-paid return label sent with each box.

We haven’t needed to have a service done yet, but there are lots of Quooker service guys in Amsterdam.

The biggest negative is it takes up almost all of the space under the sink ( full 600 wide cabinet) and the fitter screwed up the overflow pipe under the sink so we had a constantly dripping valve ( despite 3 goes to fix it) until a British plumber came to do some work in the shower, was shown this and said ‘oh, you just need to do this’, 10 minutes later we’re drip free

Master
    Moved into a house with one last year- it can only be a couple of years old but keeps getting the four flash fault. Can clear it for a bit but it keeps coming back. Guess I’ll have to pay for a service

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    This was my wife’s only red line demand for the replacement kitchen in our new house.

We went all in and got the cube with filtered chilled and sparkling water too. It really has made it easy to drink 2.5-3 let’s a day of water, and the instant boiling water is a boon.

We’re on our second filter in about 2 years and about the 10th CO cartridge, they make it easy to order 4 and there is a pre-paid return label sent with each box.

We haven’t needed to have a service done yet, but there are lots of Quooker service guys in Amsterdam.

The biggest negative is it takes up almost all of the space under the sink ( full 600 wide cabinet) and the fitter screwed up the overflow pipe under the sink so we had a constantly dripping valve ( despite 3 goes to fix it) until a British plumber came to do some work in the shower, was shown this and said ‘oh, you just need to do this’, 10 minutes later we’re drip free
    I wanted chilled and sparking, mental price addition to the mix & as I already have a water softener in the cupboard too I ran out of space.

Luckily enough left for a pump onto the hot feed. Although washed up in the sink last night & if you know it doesn’t fill quickly you do other things.

We have the pull out hose, which I thought would be great for rinsing the sink with boiling water. Aside from the fact as you pull it out the safety cuts off the boiling water, so only the cold / hot feed (well cold as I’ve already mentioned the low pressure on hot)

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I wanted chilled and sparking, mental price addition to the mix & as I already have a water softener in the cupboard too I ran out of space.

Luckily enough left for a pump onto the hot feed. Although washed up in the sink last night & if you know it doesn’t fill quickly you do other things.

We have the pull out hose, which I thought would be great for rinsing the sink with boiling water. Aside from the fact as you pull it out the safety cuts off the boiling water, so only the cold / hot feed (well cold as I’ve already mentioned the low pressure on hot)
    Yes, we got that too, great design feature.

Not boiling water, but anyone have the Brita filter tap installed? Currently £349 down from £444 (apparently):

https://www.brita.co.uk/water-filter...ter-filter-tap

Blog Entries
    Stupid sputtering dragons that spray boiling water all over my hands, I’m to old to master such modern devices.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Stupid sputtering dragons that spray boiling water all over my hands, I’m to old to master such modern devices.
    Does potentially seem to be a fancy solution to a problem that doesn´t really exist mate, but Mrs P´s got the ´kitchen´ man coming tomorrow to cook up some ideas for the whole refit so we shall see!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Does potentially seem to be a fancy solution to a problem that doesn´t really exist mate, but Mrs P´s got the ´kitchen´ man coming tomorrow to cook up some ideas for the whole refit so we shall see!
    I’ll pray for you ;)

My Hobbs kettle will do.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I’ll pray for you ;)

My Hobbs kettle will do.
    Thanks D., Mrs P's excited, I'm a kettles fine.