closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quooker boiling water taps, opinions?

Quooker boiling water taps, opinions?

I'm finishing off the kitchen and my wife talked me into getting one of these things against common sense, I have installed it, everything about it seems micky mouse, they are obviously not designed for the UK and are adapted from the Dutch version, I also think that you wouldn't have to be that absent minded first thing in the morning to run it over your arm, what do other people think about them.

on standby it turned itself off twice yesterday, so we had to use the kettle!

Boiling water and drinking water out of the same tap, what could possibly go wrong.

We have one, and have had for about 6 years now. Its a separate tap to the main one, only does hot water and sits just to the right. I find it very useful and have only once had a bit of my arm under it after turning it on. Guests always struggle though. It has push down and twist mechanism and I remember my dad baby sitting last year and getting stressed out that he couldn't make himself a coffee. Once you get used to it its really good. Much prefer it to having kettle sat on worktops.
    Last edited by paneristi372; 14th February 2020 at 12:25.

Master
    I've always seen these boiling water taps as a waste of energy, bit of a gimmick and potential accident all rolled in to one.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Boiling water and drinking water out of the same tap, what could possibly go wrong.
    We got the Fusion all in one version, using it is like solving a Chinese puzzle.

Craftsman
    Have had one for the last 5 years. Has recently played up a bit, but can be sorted by pressing the reset on the top of the unit. My wife loves it.

Have not burned myself. They aerate the water to make it less dense. I have run it and whipped my finger under to test and it reduces the heat conduction - test carried out to see how dangerous it would be for the kids.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I've always seen these boiling water taps as a waste of energy, bit of a gimmick and potential accident all rolled in to one.
    +1, I would never be happy with one in a kitchen. Solving a problem that doesn't need solving in my opinion and an inherent safety hazard.

Craftsman
    Work had one installed in our new office last I October with all the bells and whistles.

It has already broken twice, not sure why as I try to stay out of the office as much as possible 😁

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1, I would never be happy with one in a kitchen. Solving a problem that doesn't need solving in my opinion and an inherent safety hazard.
    +2

Expensive and no really necessary.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    We have one at work (fitted about a year ago) it is a commercial version (apparently) so should be able to cope with high useage.
    However, has been out of action 2 or 3 times in that period with engineers visits required & is constantly running out of boiling water.
    Although shortage of boiling water could be down to the tw@ts at work using boiling water to wash up & fill the kettle so that it boils quicker!!

I actually quite like the tap....... when it's working!

Expensive, environmentally not great (?), potentially dangerous, and I'd much rather have a variable-temperature kettle when and if my new kitchen ever gets going.

Totally this
    Biggest waste of money I’ve ever spent

Master
    I have a boiling tap, its a 4-in-1 so also does hot/cold mains and filtered mains. I love it, i was a little on the fence before buying as they arent cheap (although we got a Qettle one at £500) but i use it every day. Cant comment on Quooker but hot taps in general i'm sold.
    Gets used a lot more than the warming drawer I ending up getting as part of the kitchen refurb.

Wastes less energy than a kettle.

Price puts me off but in principle I’d buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Wastes less energy than a kettle.
    Not according to Which.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Not according to Which.
    Incorrect.

I was considering one a few months ago but then saw the prices.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Incorrect.
    Which are incorrect?

Quoted from the test of the tap in question.

Quooker says that its taps cost 3p per day if left on standby. The cost of boiling a litre of water in a kettle is just over 2p. So, if you boil your kettle several times a day - if you're having a brew in the morning, again when you get in from work, and before bed for example, then you do stand to save on your energy bills. However, the high upfront cost of hot-water taps means that it will take you more than a lifetime to recoup your investment.

Which are incorrect?

Quoted from the test of the tap in question.

Quooker says that its taps cost 3p per day if left on standby. The cost of boiling a litre of water in a kettle is just over 2p. So, if you boil your kettle several times a day - if you're having a brew in the morning, again when you get in from work, and before bed for example, then you do stand to save on your energy bills. However, the high upfront cost of hot-water taps means that it will take you more than a lifetime to recoup your investment.
    That’s comparing upfront costs. Compare that if you wish but my post was in response to one concerning energy use.

As Which? says “... if you're having a brew in the morning, again when you get in from work, and before bed for example, then you do stand to save on your energy bills.”

That’s comparing upfront costs. Compare that if you wish but my post was in response to one concerning energy use.

As Which? says “... if you're having a brew in the morning, again when you get in from work, and before bed for example, then you do stand to save on your energy bills.”
    Of course, hair splitting aside (probably mine) I cannot see the logic in spending that kind of money to not recoup the outlet in a lifetime, particularly since the item it is supposed to supersede works pretty well in the first place?

Quooker boiling water taps, opinions?

Of course, hair splitting aside (probably mine) I cannot see the logic in spending that kind of money to not recoup the outlet in a lifetime, particularly since the item it is supposed to supersede works pretty well in the first place?
    Fair enough, but just wrong to state energy consumption as a negative. Same with water but again, minimal cost.

On the wider issue of cost, most things we buy never recoup their cost, we often just find them nicer than a cheaper alternative. Personally, I would like the convenience, think looks neater than a kettle and their safety doesn’t worry me. They are just too expensive...

Craftsman
    They've invented a problem, the Mk1 kettle works well, why fix it when i't not broken?

Master
    I imagine if you drink a lot of tea, it might be convenient. My company have one in my office and it seems reliable enough. They also look pretty good and given the fact that the kitchen seems to be the show room in a modern house I can see why these are becoming more popular. I don't drink tea so can't justify the cost. :)

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I imagine if you drink a lot of tea, it might be convenient. My company have one in my office and it seems reliable enough. They also look pretty good and given the fact that the kitchen seems to be the show room in a modern house I can see why these are becoming more popular. I don't drink tea so can't justify the cost. :)
    Off topic here but strange, isn't it the importance of the kitchen. Mrs K wants a new kitchen - not as if she spends much time there, not a place visitors naturally see and is perfectly functional.

Why not redecorate/new furniture the living room, new staircase or something else!

We’ve got a quooker - yes they’re expensive but work really well and fit well amongst other quality kitchen ‘stuff’ ie 4 ovens twin drawer dishwashers etc etc

Master
    Off topic here but strange, isn't it the importance of the kitchen. Mrs K wants a new kitchen - not as if she spends much time there, not a place visitors naturally see and is perfectly functional.

Why not redecorate/new furniture the living room, new staircase or something else!
    Sorry to continue to the off topic, maybe we need our own thread. :) I think modern kitchens have little to do with cooking. A large open plan kitchen/diner is difficult to cook in. It also means that food smells permeate the house. I think that cookery is now seen as a performance art so it is important to be seen to have a culinary hub even if you don't cook. There is a certain degree of value signalling involved, but since we are on a forum that discusses luxury watches, that shouldn't be a foreign concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavgolf View Post
    ff’ ie 4 ovens
    You own a restaurant ?

My youngest son has Down’s syndrome and we already have to watch his every move in the kitchen, even at 16. One of these taps would be an absolute nightmare from a safety point of view - he just about understands the cold water tap is safe and let’s mum dad and brother use the kettle - looks like I’ll save myself a few quid too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t let her near a shop that sell Schuller then!

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    We have one, and have had for about 6 years now. Its a separate tap to the main one, only does hot water and sits just to the right. I find it very useful and have only once had a bit of my arm under it after turning it on. Guests always struggle though. It has push down and twist mechanism and I remember my dad baby sitting last year and getting stressed out that he couldn't make himself a coffee. Once you get used to it its really good. Much prefer it to having kettle sat on worktops.
    We have exactly the same, works well and seems to produce enough boiling water to fill a decent saucepan. Occasionally it needs a re-boot when you ask too much of it but a simple press of the button on top and it’s back to normal within a minute or two.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    They've invented a problem, the Mk1 kettle works well, why fix it when i't not broken?
    We're on our second one of these:

https://www.allianceonline.co.uk/bur...-wbtp0005.html

Near boiling (96-100 dg usually) water available 24/7. Hardly uses any power. The only hassle is refilling after you've used it, which needs a bit of discipline and the bi-monthly clean with citric acid

Craftsman
    We have the original version , an Insinkerater hot an cold tap , for about 12 years . It produces not quite boiling water but brews tea ok .
    Very reliable , had one replacement tank in the time .

We would not be without it .

Blog Entries
    We have one of the original ones, separate from the normal hot and cold tap. Works great, have it serviced once a year. No kettle, no waiting. Wouldn't be without one now.

(haven't managed to run it over my arm yet either! )
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Can’t comment on the Quooker brand but we’ve recently installed our second hot tap by Insinkerator, it’s separate and works great. RRP is about £400 which is very cheap in comparison. Having had a short duration without one, I wouldn’t want to go back to having a kettle.

The good thing with quooker ( if you’re a tea drinker, which we are) is that you get boiling water - not nearly boiling.

It uses a pressure vessel below the sink to hear the water ( under pressure) to above 100 deg C so that when you open the tap it is properly boiling

Blog Entries
    The good thing with quooker ( if you’re a tea drinker, which we are) is that you get boiling water - not nearly boiling.

It uses a pressure vessel below the sink to hear the water ( under pressure) to above 100 deg C so that when you open the tap it is properly boiling
    This is the good thing about them.

Bit like a dishwasher really, until you have one you think you don't need one. When you've had one you wonder how you managed without one!

We have the two-in one. Cost a pretty penny but hands-down the best part of our redeveloped kitchen.

Craftsman
    2 x Zip taps, which are broadly the same were installed in a place I worked a couple of years ago.....forever having issues and engineer visits - certainly wouldn’t want one at home......found that there could be some residual hot water when drawing cold following hot.....I had a number of glasses of very warm water....!

Don’t know if the design on the zip to the quooker is significantly different that would prevent that.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Accident waiting to happen if you ask me!.......and what's wrong with a kettle.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    How many have you heard reported?

That's a bad thing. Brewing tea (and coffee) at 100 degrees burns it. 88-95 degrees is optimum, depending on the type of tea used.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    That's a bad thing. Brewing tea (and coffee) at 100 degrees burns it. 88-95 degrees is optimum, depending on the type of tea used.
    Then put a quanity of cold in first.

Then put a quanity of cold in first.
    How much cold, though? Far easier, cheaper and more reliable to get an adjustable kettle, and set it to cut out at around 93 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Takes up space on the worktop, if you live in Essex whatever it is will go wrong, the water buggers everything up

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    How much cold, though? Far easier, cheaper and more reliable to get an adjustable kettle, and set it to cut out at around 93 degrees.
    Each to their own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    This is the good thing about them.

Bit like a dishwasher really, until you have one you think you don't need one. When you've had one you wonder how you managed without one!
    The most sensible quote in a very funny thread....my favourite not sensible quote "+1, I would never be happy with one in a kitchen. Solving a problem that doesn't need solving in my opinion and an inherent safety hazard"

You can boil water in a pan....why have a kettle?

We use ours for tea, saving gas and speeding up cooking by filling a pan before cooking eggs/pasta/veg.

If you are careful enough not to spill a kettle on you, then you are qualified to use a boiling hot water tap - this is what I have - https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/insinke...o-tank-9657402

Whatever next.......why have a watch winder when you have fingers/a wrist??
    Last edited by watchmad; 6th April 2020 at 09:31.

Master
    Whilst I do not have one I have put them in schemes for clients, They are good.

As far as safety is concerned the boiling water is aerated out out if the tap so doesn't burn you. I have no idea how it works but I am stupid enough to have tried it and it works.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    The most sensible quote in a very funny thread....my favourite not sensible quote "+1, I would never be happy with one in a kitchen. Solving a problem that doesn't need solving in my opinion and an inherent safety hazard"

You can boil water in a pan....why have a kettle?

We use ours for tea, saving gas and speeding up cooking by filling a pan before cooking eggs/pasta/veg.

If you are careful enough not to spill a kettle on you, then you are qualified to use a boiling hot water tap.

Whatever next.......why have a watch winder when you have fingers/a wrist??
    Exactly my thinking. We also use it for filling pans to save time heating the water. I think most adults would be able to learn to use one safely, although there are always exceptions.....

We have a Zip Hydrotap (fitted by previous owners of house). It does both very hot and very cold.

I use the cold tap all the time as it also has a filter built in. My wife uses the hot tap to speed up the cooking of kids veggies/pasta.

It's just another kitchen gadget, the wheel is still round. It saves a bit of time. Time that I was storing up to do something exciting with. Then I read a thread on here years ago about bean to cup coffee machines and all that time I stored up gets used on cleaning cycles, roasting my own beans and perfecting the grind.

I can’t remember the brand but I think it MAY have been a Zip (?) that we had in my office.

I can’t comment on the reliability or anything as it was a serviced building so everything was kept tickity boo 24/7.

But from my experience it was amazing.

Did boiling (properly 100c boiling) water on one “button” and ice cold filtered water on the other.

I’m sure it wasn’t cheap but when the time comes to refresh my kitchen I’ll splash a bit of cash on one for sure.

Anyone got any experience of these?

https://virginpure.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk