closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Favourite UK Hotels .

Favourite UK Hotels .

What’s your favourite bolt hole?
    Each and every part of the country please .
    High end, cheap dumps, irreverent masterpieces etc.
    I love breaks away in the UK and have been to some stunning hotels. I’ve also stayed in some dumps , for want of a better word. I’m just looking for inspiration on where next .
    Is there somewhere you’d recommend to anyone or, equally, places to avoid ?
    If there’s a story behind it then so much the better.

Blog Entries
    I used to travel around the UK a lot & would pick hotels mainly on location & parking.
    My reasoning being that if I chose correctly, I would be at the hotel only for sleeping & breakfast.
    The evenings would be spent, walking around exploring, taking photos, having a bite to east & (if with colleagues) a few drinks.
    Again, if well located I could walk to the meeting the next day & leave the car at the hotel.

One of the best in this regard was the Staybridge Suites in Newcastle.
    Excellenty equipped suites - with a lounge & kitchen area - so you have the choice to have delivery / eat in.
    Ample parking, ideal location for short walk to places to Quayside & town centre for restaurants & bars if you venture out.
    They also have a manager's reception some evenings with free nibbles and drinks.
    Also, I could walk to the Uni the following morning for my meetings.

Hope that's useful.

z

Master
    Fave weekender for North Wales and Snowdonia for a few years,changed hands now but still a great location and lovely place

https://www.ffarmcountryhouse.co.uk/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Used to love going to the Milstream in Bosham especially on the Sunday evening after a day at Goodwood Festival of Speed, just a fantastic place to unwind.

Recently went to Another Place, Ullswater. We’ll be going back soon.

Carbis Bay Hotel, had a few meals here and would definitely like to stay. If there’s a hotel with a better view in England I’d like to see it.

Had a nice few days at Christchurch Harbour Hotel, I’d go back there too.

Blog Entries
    Our go to for a night away close to home for years and years has been The Bull Auberge on the A140 at Yaxley.

https://www.the-auberge.co.uk/

The family are all lovely, the food is amazing and rooms are very comfortable. Well worth a stay.

Our guilty pleasure is exec at The Langham once a year. Just amazing

Two new stays in the last few months which we will definitely return to is The Hoxton and Congham Hall.

https://www.conghamhallhotel.co.uk/

Congham Hall is something very very special and I could not recommend enough, amazing.

PM me if anyone requires more info.

Pitch

Gidleigh Park in Devon.

First went there almost 19 years ago and been back regularly since.

Drive the last mile down the rather narrow drive to the hotel, hoping nothing is coming in the other direction. Once there the car won’t move for the 2 or 3 night stay. Walk up through the woods onto Dartmoor. Wander around the grounds. Eat rather good food and sample the excellent wine list.

It has been extended and the ownership (and chef) have changed since the early days, but the atmosphere, food and service has been a constant during our visits. That said we haven’t been since late 2018, but subject to checking out current reviews will go again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

Carbis Bay Hotel, had a few meals here and would definitely like to stay. If there’s a hotel with a better view in England I’d like to see it.

Christchurch Harbour Hotel...good shout, I'd second that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

if only they had not spoilt it…and then got caught :-) https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-for-g7-summit

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Gidleigh Park in Devon.

Drive the last mile down the rather narrow drive to the hotel, hoping nothing is coming in the other direction. Once there the car won’t move for the 2 or 3 night stay. Walk up through the woods onto Dartmoor. Wander around the grounds. Eat rather good food and sample the excellent wine list.

It has been extended and the ownership (and chef) have changed since the early days, but the atmosphere, food and service has been a constant during our visits. That said we haven’t been since late 2018, but subject to checking out current reviews will go again this year.
    Reminds me of my first job (based round the corner), staying there, the bar shut but the beer tap was left on so we left IOUs behind the bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favourite UK Hotels .

Marmalade Hotel, Portree on the Isle of Skye. Quite modern by local standards and a great location to explore from (by car) around spectacular scenery, and (on foot) to the bars and restaurants around the harbour in town
    https://perlehotels.com/marmalade/

Burgh island for me, I proposed to my fiancee here so it has special memories

https://www.burghisland.com/

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Fave weekender for North Wales and Snowdonia for a few years,changed hands now but still a great location and lovely place

https://www.ffarmcountryhouse.co.uk/
    Looks nice. Does this hotel have a bar ?

Craftsman
    One of our favourite getaways is the Waterhead Inn in Ambleside, the Lakes....a superb place, really friendly staff, overlooking Lake Windermere and a 10 mins walk into the town centre.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    …equally, places to avoid ?
    If there’s a story behind it then so much the better
    Pre-2007 renovation, I roomed at The Savoy. The hotel was the first public building in the world to be lit entirely by electric lights. When I stayed, it appeared to have not since changed the decor. On arrival, I was met by a youngish man of oldish attire who showed me around, noting that the establishment would be delighted to offer me a jacket should I wish to drink at the bar. My chambers were ancient, most notably the bathroom, seemingly dating from the times when César Ritz was manager.

I had had a long flight from Japan and was somewhat jet-lagged, so I fell into a deep slumber. I remember that next to the bed was a cheap 1980s-style clock radio. I set it to 7am. Sometime in the evening, UK time, I was woken by a knock on the door. An elderly concierge, of excellent deportment, conveyed the news that my friend M- was awaiting my company in the lounge. I drowsily replied to tell M- that I was asleep. I fell back into my dreams, and alerted by the Binatone, went to work the next day.

M- drily told me that he had tried to meet me the night before, but the “guy at the hotel” had informed him “P- has instructed me to tell you that he is asleep”

TT

Master
    We only stayed one night but very much enjoyed this hotel. Cambridge was great to mooch about in as well.

https://www.gonvillehotel.co.uk/

Master
    And given the thread isn't just about high end: https://www.croydeunison.co.uk/

Great location, very good facilities and Croyde is beautiful, with lots of good pubs and restaurants. Superb, reliable waves too.

West Bay is nice for a weekend, boasting a rather spectacular beach and cliffs. This place is right in the middle of things: http://georgewestbay.com/
    Last edited by Bondurant; 12th February 2022 at 12:09.

Craftsman
    Macdonalds Spa Hotel Bath.

Lovely hotel and location. Used it for visiting the other Spa's in Bath.

https://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/ba...-spa-hotel-gmb

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

Some really good options, thanks.
    Another Place has been booked , others will no doubt follow .

My personal favourite is Ellenborough Park in Cheltenham .
    www.ellenboroughpark.com
    We usually go to the meeting in November and stay here . It overlooks the racecourse and they offer lifts down their private unmade road to the Owners Enclosure . An outdoor pool and a great bar await when you get back . It’s very popular with the racing fraternity , being owned (I think ) by AP McCoy .

It’s also perfectly situated on the edge of The Cotswolds .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Looks nice. Does this hotel have a bar ?
    Honesty bar in the lounge, after our first visit he know what beers i liked and would have them in just for me.

Bagdale Hall Whitby.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Some really good options, thanks.
    Another Place has been booked , others will no doubt follow .
    Aira Force Waterfall isn’t far away and we’ll worth a visit.

Master
    Some of our favourites are in North of England.
    Impeccable Pig being one… and we’ve stayed at Ramside Hall Hotel a couple of times (the Celebration Suite is fantastic, but last time we stayed in one of the treehouses and it was probably a better experience). Both are on the pricey side though.

Blackwell Grange in Darlington has a lovely Bridal suite and it’s actually pretty well priced (in fact we are heading there tomorrow for a couple of nights).

For something a bit different, and to get completely away from everything… Witherholme Shepherds Huts in Yorkshire is worthy of consideration. It’s set on a farm. The owner brings you a breakfast hamper in the morning. You’ve got a copper bath inside the hut but also a wood fired hot tub outside. We sat for hours in the tub, fire on, drinking wine, listening to the owls in the pitch black. Totally de-stressed in the morning. Wonderful.

Closer to home for us (north of the border) but back higher up the scale price wise, Cornhill Castle Hotel has a great setting and lovely rooms. The Honeymoon suite is set over 3 levels and has its own champagne room in the turret.. has to be the best we’ve stayed at.

Gleneagles. Very special place

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    We went to Lympstone Manor last year and had a fantastic stay. Everything was perfect. MC has done an amazing job there and we had a good chat with him. I would highly recommend it.

Gidleigh Park in Devon.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    We went to Lympstone Manor last year and had a fantastic stay. Everything was perfect. MC has done an amazing job there and we had a good chat with him. I would highly recommend it.
    Thanks, that might give me the push to getting around to booking.😀

We have been thinking of going ever since we knew MC was buying it.

My only reservation has been the lack of remoteness, compared to GP. That and trying to justify why we need to stay, given it is only a few miles from Topsham, where we tend to stay when visiting our eldest daughter.

Still justifying unnecessary expenditure isn’t usually too difficult for a watch collector.😀

Master
    Thanks, that might give me the push to getting around to booking.😀

We have been thinking of going ever since we knew MC was buying it.

My only reservation has been the lack of remoteness, compared to GP. That and trying to justify why we need to stay, given it is only a few miles from Topsham, where we tend to stay when visiting our eldest daughter.

Still justifying unnecessary expenditure isn’t usually too difficult for a watch collector.😀
    Topsham is lovely and as you say quite close. I’m sure you’ll think it was worth it though. Entire experience was just perfect for us. He obviously took a gamble making such a big move but it’s totally worked.

They were in the process of building a swimming pool and facilities when we were there so I’d imagine it’s all open now. The vineyard is a great touch too. If you’re on Instagram let me know - I put some pictures up.

In my previous job I used to stay away 2-3 nights a week. I've stayed in some pretty horrendous places (maybe another thread to start?), but have also been lucky enough
    to stay in some really nice ones that I have later visited with my partner for weekends away

No1 in the UK for me is:

http://www.bridge-hotel.com/ in Buttermere in the Lakes. Great place (no tv or radio signal), so a real chance to switch off. lovely rooms, food and great staff, can't recommend it highly enough. The best place for walks of any duration, from a 2hr stroll around the lake to all day hikes in the hills

Also;

https://llanerch.co.uk/ a hotel within a vineyard between Cardiff & Bridgend. Well worth the drive to stay outdife of the city

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/edi...nericx6EDIDUDI The Hilton at the Dunblane Hydro, near to Stirling Castle, very glam

https://www.thecornisharmstavistock.co.uk/ A lovely Pub/Hotel in Devon. Very individual rooms and Fantastic food
    Last edited by johnboy9876; 13th February 2022 at 12:46.

Craftsman
    The Nare in Cornwall, very nice and great service.

https://www.cameronhouse.co.uk/

Very nice place for a long weekend.

The Ramada at Newport Pagnell Services is great for watching wildlife in the small hours
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    I've stayed in some pretty horrendous places (maybe another thread to start?)
    I was thinking that I’ve probably stayed in many more horrendous hotels than nice ones and was about to start a thread!

The Bedford in Tavistock is nice with good food.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

Master
    We have offices in London and Chester, quite often stay over in Chester, This hotel is absolutely top notch - https://www.grosvenorpulfordhotel.co.uk/

Great service, rooms. food.................. just generally very good.

Paul