closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quooker boiling water taps, opinions?

Hybrid View

Quooker boiling water taps, opinions?

I'm finishing off the kitchen and my wife talked me into getting one of these things against common sense, I have installed it, everything about it seems micky mouse, they are obviously not designed for the UK and are adapted from the Dutch version, I also think that you wouldn't have to be that absent minded first thing in the morning to run it over your arm, what do other people think about them.

on standby it turned itself off twice yesterday, so we had to use the kettle!

Boiling water and drinking water out of the same tap, what could possibly go wrong.

Master
    I've always seen these boiling water taps as a waste of energy, bit of a gimmick and potential accident all rolled in to one.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I've always seen these boiling water taps as a waste of energy, bit of a gimmick and potential accident all rolled in to one.
    +1, I would never be happy with one in a kitchen. Solving a problem that doesn't need solving in my opinion and an inherent safety hazard.

Craftsman
    Work had one installed in our new office last I October with all the bells and whistles.

It has already broken twice, not sure why as I try to stay out of the office as much as possible 😁

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1, I would never be happy with one in a kitchen. Solving a problem that doesn't need solving in my opinion and an inherent safety hazard.
    +2

Expensive and no really necessary.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Totally this
    Biggest waste of money I’ve ever spent

Wastes less energy than a kettle.

Price puts me off but in principle I’d buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Wastes less energy than a kettle.
    Not according to Which.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Not according to Which.
    Incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Boiling water and drinking water out of the same tap, what could possibly go wrong.
    We got the Fusion all in one version, using it is like solving a Chinese puzzle.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Accident waiting to happen if you ask me!.......and what's wrong with a kettle.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    How many have you heard reported?

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Takes up space on the worktop, if you live in Essex whatever it is will go wrong, the water buggers everything up

We have one, and have had for about 6 years now. Its a separate tap to the main one, only does hot water and sits just to the right. I find it very useful and have only once had a bit of my arm under it after turning it on. Guests always struggle though. It has push down and twist mechanism and I remember my dad baby sitting last year and getting stressed out that he couldn't make himself a coffee. Once you get used to it its really good. Much prefer it to having kettle sat on worktops.
    Last edited by paneristi372; 14th February 2020 at 12:25.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    We have one, and have had for about 6 years now. Its a separate tap to the main one, only does hot water and sits just to the right. I find it very useful and have only once had a bit of my arm under it after turning it on. Guests always struggle though. It has push down and twist mechanism and I remember my dad baby sitting last year and getting stressed out that he couldn't make himself a coffee. Once you get used to it its really good. Much prefer it to having kettle sat on worktops.
    We have exactly the same, works well and seems to produce enough boiling water to fill a decent saucepan. Occasionally it needs a re-boot when you ask too much of it but a simple press of the button on top and it’s back to normal within a minute or two.

Craftsman
    Have had one for the last 5 years. Has recently played up a bit, but can be sorted by pressing the reset on the top of the unit. My wife loves it.

Have not burned myself. They aerate the water to make it less dense. I have run it and whipped my finger under to test and it reduces the heat conduction - test carried out to see how dangerous it would be for the kids.

Master
    We have one at work (fitted about a year ago) it is a commercial version (apparently) so should be able to cope with high useage.
    However, has been out of action 2 or 3 times in that period with engineers visits required & is constantly running out of boiling water.
    Although shortage of boiling water could be down to the tw@ts at work using boiling water to wash up & fill the kettle so that it boils quicker!!

I actually quite like the tap....... when it's working!

Expensive, environmentally not great (?), potentially dangerous, and I'd much rather have a variable-temperature kettle when and if my new kitchen ever gets going.

Master
    I have a boiling tap, its a 4-in-1 so also does hot/cold mains and filtered mains. I love it, i was a little on the fence before buying as they arent cheap (although we got a Qettle one at £500) but i use it every day. Cant comment on Quooker but hot taps in general i'm sold.
    Gets used a lot more than the warming drawer I ending up getting as part of the kitchen refurb.

Following this with much interest as we'll be redoing the house kitchen this year and Mrs P thinks one of these would be a good thing. The house came with an entirely separate outdoor kitchen, with brick built bbq/ chimney, sink, water heater, detached from the house in it's own separate building...this is where I do most of the cooking...keeps the odours out of the house and crucially in the summer the additional heat as well also it's situated about midway between the main house and the pool terrace..We built a third partial kitchen up in the porch by the pool...just a work surface, sink, cupboard space, kettle... most crucially a fridge for beers, ice etc.
    I feel we've sufficient kitchen, to my way of thinking taking it all into account, I'm all for keeping the new one simple though Mrs P has 'ideas', we shall see.
    Last edited by Passenger; 27th January 2022 at 11:26.

I'm on the fence to be honest.

We had one when we moved into our house. It gets used daily, but almost never for tea and coffee.

The kids use it for filtered water and surprisingly have never burned themselves. The main use, as mentioned previously, is for a source of boiling water for cooking and cleaning/soaking.

I'm in a hard water area which has meant I've had to replace the boiler and the taps (x2) in a decade. The old boiler also used to regularly short the electrics downstairs before it was replaced.

It's been an expensive luxury, one we could do without, but it's nice to have. Do I think it has been worth it in terms of energy usage, filter cost and replacements? I probably don't think so. But if it broke tomorrow you can guarantee the missus would want it fixed at any cost.

I have a friend who got a Qooker on a sale or return. He didn't like it and asked to send it back. They gave him the money back but didn't want the return. Don't know if that's still a thing.

Blog Entries
    I’ve got a new Quettle mini that I didn’t fit…. If anyones interested they can PM me! I stupidly thought it could cold / hot and boiling…. Turns out it’s boiling and filtered drinking only, so, we didn’t have space for it

My wife put her foot down and said she wasn’t putting up with two spouts going in to the sink…

A shame really as I quite fancied it…

I was considering one a few months ago but then saw the prices.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I imagine if you drink a lot of tea, it might be convenient. My company have one in my office and it seems reliable enough. They also look pretty good and given the fact that the kitchen seems to be the show room in a modern house I can see why these are becoming more popular. I don't drink tea so can't justify the cost. :)

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I imagine if you drink a lot of tea, it might be convenient. My company have one in my office and it seems reliable enough. They also look pretty good and given the fact that the kitchen seems to be the show room in a modern house I can see why these are becoming more popular. I don't drink tea so can't justify the cost. :)
    Off topic here but strange, isn't it the importance of the kitchen. Mrs K wants a new kitchen - not as if she spends much time there, not a place visitors naturally see and is perfectly functional.

Why not redecorate/new furniture the living room, new staircase or something else!

We’ve got a quooker - yes they’re expensive but work really well and fit well amongst other quality kitchen ‘stuff’ ie 4 ovens twin drawer dishwashers etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Gavgolf View Post
    ff’ ie 4 ovens
    You own a restaurant ?

Master
    Off topic here but strange, isn't it the importance of the kitchen. Mrs K wants a new kitchen - not as if she spends much time there, not a place visitors naturally see and is perfectly functional.

Why not redecorate/new furniture the living room, new staircase or something else!
    Sorry to continue to the off topic, maybe we need our own thread. :) I think modern kitchens have little to do with cooking. A large open plan kitchen/diner is difficult to cook in. It also means that food smells permeate the house. I think that cookery is now seen as a performance art so it is important to be seen to have a culinary hub even if you don't cook. There is a certain degree of value signalling involved, but since we are on a forum that discusses luxury watches, that shouldn't be a foreign concept.

Don’t let her near a shop that sell Schuller then!

My youngest son has Down’s syndrome and we already have to watch his every move in the kitchen, even at 16. One of these taps would be an absolute nightmare from a safety point of view - he just about understands the cold water tap is safe and let’s mum dad and brother use the kettle - looks like I’ll save myself a few quid too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Whilst I do not have one I have put them in schemes for clients, They are good.

As far as safety is concerned the boiling water is aerated out out if the tap so doesn't burn you. I have no idea how it works but I am stupid enough to have tried it and it works.

I can’t remember the brand but I think it MAY have been a Zip (?) that we had in my office.

I can’t comment on the reliability or anything as it was a serviced building so everything was kept tickity boo 24/7.

But from my experience it was amazing.

Did boiling (properly 100c boiling) water on one “button” and ice cold filtered water on the other.

I’m sure it wasn’t cheap but when the time comes to refresh my kitchen I’ll splash a bit of cash on one for sure.

Anyone got any experience of these?

https://virginpure.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A complicated solution to a problem you don't have.

As it’s about two years old now it’s time for an update, firstly filters are £80 each it uses two per year, after a year the control on the tap played up, they came and replaced the whole thing, we went to replace the filter last weekend and noticed that the scale control display has died, I also noticed that one of the push fit connectors was leaking, I replaced it, but interesting that they use the cheapest ones on the market, my guess the whole thing is made in China.

I would say for what they are they are massively overpriced and not very good quality, the convenience of a hot tap is great, but I would choose a different brand.

Master

Quooker boiling water taps, opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    As it’s about two years old now it’s time for an update, firstly filters are £80 each it uses two per year, after a year the control on the tap played up, they came and replaced the whole thing, we went to replace the filter last weekend and noticed that the scale control display has died, I also noticed that one of the push fit connectors was leaking, I replaced it, but interesting that they use the cheapest ones on the market, my guess the whole thing is made in China.

I would say for what they are they are massively overpriced and not very good quality, the convenience of a hot tap is great, but I would choose a different brand.
    Which brand? Don’t think any are ideal.

Also how do you know when the filter needs replacing?

How often did you get it serviced?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Which brand? Don’t think any are ideal.

Also how do you know when the filter needs replacing?

How often did you get it serviced?
    The display thing alarms, you wouldn’t think it old enough to need servicing.

Someone I know has one I’ve those, says it hasn’t missed a beat https://www.methvenhottap.com/produc...brushed-nickel

Craftsman
    We have a fohen boiling water tap, been in 13 months so far , easy to fit and no issues whatsoever..
    Filters are £40 every 6 months and are quick release.
    Would definitely recommend and definitely wouldn't go back to a kettle now.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    When we moved into Southfork almost exactly 4 years ago there was already one of the original Quooker taps installed. Have them (or their sub) service it once a year and never had any problems at all. Would definitely buy another.

They're a bit 'dishwasher syndrome' in that before you have one you think they're unnecessary, but when you have one you soon wouldn't want to be without one.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    When we moved into Southfork almost exactly 4 years ago there was already one of the original Quooker taps installed. Have them (or their sub) service it once a year and never had any problems at all. Would definitely buy another.

They're a bit 'dishwasher syndrome' in that before you have one you think they're unnecessary, but when you have one you soon wouldn't want to be without one.
    I have friends who have one of the older ones, it has never given them any trouble, just takes up more space under the sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    We have a fohen boiling water tap, been in 13 months so far , easy to fit and no issues whatsoever..

We’ve had a Fohen one in for a over a year now. Fitted it myself and had no problems either. We got two free filters and I’ve totally forgotten to renew the original one. I need to get that done now that you’ve reminded me.

Funnily enough Selco seem to be selling one that looks exactly the same as the Fohen one for around £299.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post

We have got a Fohen tap too, it’s doesn’t do sparkling cold water and the cold water isn’t filtered but for £400 it’s great, now way I’d pay a grand for a hot water tap. My consumption of tea has gone through the roof though.

Master
    We put one in our new kitchen and would not be without it. Even my wife who is sceptical has come around to the convenience.

I don’t tend to use it for cooking, induction hob on full heat is quick enough for most things. Did use it once when I was cooking a stir fry then realised I had not soaked the noodles - came in very handy then.

I also like the way it cleans up the kitchen without another gadget plugged in / needing to be cleaned.

We would get another in a flash. The only niggle is that the hot water is very low pressure vs our standard utility tap or the old one. Apparently the quooker is a high pressure tap so this reduces ours to a slow fill. Having large 1.5 bowl size sinks means it is very slow to fill and will be adding a pump shortly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    she wasn’t putting up with two spouts going in to the sink…
    Is that euphemism?

Blog Entries
    Is that euphemism?
    Fnar Fnar!!!

Excusing my ignorance but how do these impact on your electricity bill? Are these always keeping your water at 100° but using a little electricity every time? When all of my family are out during the day, our kettle isn't constantly boiling 'just in case'.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Excusing my ignorance but how do these impact on your electricity bill? Are these always keeping your water at 100° but using a little electricity every time? When all of my family are out during the day, our kettle isn't constantly boiling 'just in case'.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Costs about 3p per day in standby. Insulated water container & the heater flicks on / off through the day. Holds about 3L from memory but you can spec larger ones.

Master
    We had a Qettle fitted when the kitchen was remodelled. We love it. One tap does boiling, filtered cold, as well as normal hot and cold. Gets used many times a day for tea and cafetiere, as well as filling pots for veg (as has been mentioned). I also use it for a quick blast of hot into a recyclable plastic pack (ie bacon) with a dash of fairy to get rid of the grease.

Wouldn't be without it now.

We also have a plumbed in fridge with chilled water and ice. Now that is fantastic!

Craftsman
    I have always thought that tea should be made with freshly drawn, and freshly boiled, water, i.e. not from a 3L tank under the sink that has been kept ticking over, near-boiling all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I have always thought that tea should be made with freshly drawn, and freshly boiled, water, i.e. not from a 3L tank under the sink that has been kept ticking over, near-boiling all day.
    I was led to believe that tea should be made using water at just under boiling temperature.

You are however right that most hot water taps dispense at 98c not that I’d notice the difference. Quooker however runs a pressurised system which allows it to dispense water at 100c