closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yema superman GMT

Master

Yema superman GMT

I see that Yema have just launched a new GMT, and this time without that weird clippy thing over the bezel, which was always a passion killer for me. And in a sensible choice of 39 or 41mm too.

Thoughts?

Sorry for huge pictures - quoted from elsewhere!

Personally, I like to see the bezel lock on a Yema Superman; it's part of the DNA, like a date loupe on a Submariner or cathedral hands on a Seiko Alpinist.

Looks better to me though. Is the quality improved over the previous models though?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Personally, I like to see the bezel lock on a Yema Superman; it's part of the DNA, like a date loupe on a Submariner or cathedral hands on a Seiko Alpinist.
    Ha was just looking at the Alpinist, and thinking 'Not sure about the hands!'

I see your point about brand DNA, as the cyclops gets far too much hate for something that's fundamental to the Rolex brand. But brand DNA or not, the Yema clip is the one thing that was an instant deal breaker for me, I much prefer it without. Wise of them to offer the option, then everyone is happy. I like the 39mm size option and the bracelet. Now it's just the hands I'm not 100% sure about ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Looks better to me though. Is the quality improved over the previous models though?
    I have the automatic Superman and I thi k the quality is fine. It is at least at Oris/Doxa level. I think the quartz watches are another matter but priced accordingly

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I have the automatic Superman and I think the quality is fine. It is at least at Oris/Doxa level.
    Agreed - quality is pretty good.
    The bracelet (on the black dial model) is very thin & can appear a bit low budget, but I quite like how it suits the retro style of the watch, even if it my is a bit rattly.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I have the automatic Superman and I thi k the quality is fine. It is at least at Oris/Doxa level. I think the quartz watches are another matter but priced accordingly
    Thanks Ryan, it was a quartz of the previous model that I’ve handled.
    It's just a matter of time...

I'm a minor fanghurl for this brand based on the Superman auto I bought fairly recently - I'd say quality is commensurate with price when discounted. With that in mind I would suggest an element of patience be bought into play, as retail prices drop significantly with Yema's sales and introductory discounts. Be a while of course, as it's a new model.

They dropped the bezel lock as it's irrelevant on a GMT. I like it on the divers where it could be life-or-death matter if a bezel is displaced during a time-critical dive - in the fantasy world where any of these watches are actually used for their intended purpose!

Like it a lot. And hate the bezel lock which is the only thing that has prevented me from buying one.
    Feel like I need to check this one out and see for myself if the criticism of quality is justified.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Like it a lot. And hate the bezel lock which is the only thing that has prevented me from buying one.
    Feel like I need to check this one out and see for myself if the criticism of quality is justified.
    Agreed, and will be interesting to hear your view if you do go for it.

Craftsman
    Anyone here have the original super man diver watch? Would be nice to see pictures for comparison.

Typically French: I've only just now noticed that some colourways (the sold-out blue+grey bezel) has the lock - as did the previous run of GMTs, while the remainder of this run appear not to. If this feature is critical to you, I'd drop Yema a line to check if this is really the situation. That said, a moderately competent jeweller should be able to remove it for you easily enough.

Master
    Is there any reason they charge you more in Europe for the same watch than in the USA??

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Is there any reason they charge you more in Europe for the same watch than in the USA??
    Either taxation differences or good-old "because-they-can"...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Either taxation differences or good-old "because-they-can"...
    Hmmm would have thought a European company should charge its citizens less !

Imagine the repercussions if Apple products were cheaper in Europe than in the US!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Hmmm would have thought a European company should charge its citizens less !

Imagine the repercussions if Apple products were cheaper in Europe than in the US!
    You have to charge VAT on sales in the EU. US sales ex EU are billed exempt of VAT. Simples.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I must say Ive been humming and hawing for a couple of months now on Yema. Esp the 39mm models.

I like the way they look and theres some heritage there.

I might buy a quartz example next time they have a sale thing and see what happens.