closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New DeskDivers article - SM120c 'Big Blue'

New DeskDivers article - SM120c 'Big Blue'

Were pretty happy with this one. We love these almost as much as we do the Ploprof (some of us would argue 'more' actually LOL). Anyway I hope you enjoy reading this as much as we did writing it :)

Weve also and updated the Ploprof article as well with a few snippets and a gentle sideswipe at a new watch from a competitor of old :D

Grand Master

Re: New DeskDivers article - SM120c 'Big Blue'

Great! Shall look forward to reading that later ..
    /vince ..

Apprentice

Brilliant Jon!
    Heading there now!
    Cheers
    Teng

It's your best yet Jon...as for the watch, well I think you know what I think!

SSZ :D

Great read - many thanks Jon :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Thanks for the kind words guys, makes it all worth while for us! :)

Although I'm not an Omega owner, or ever likely to be, that is a very interesting site to visit.The Ploprof with the red crown has a balance to it which is absent from the steel crowned version, I almost like it! :wink: :) Thanks for the link.
    F.T.F.A.

Thanks fellas,

Hey Jon, sorry mate but I've not yet added the sideswipe stuff to the PP article

Anyway keep checking folks, there are still a couple of additions to go in 120c but weve (as usual) been sitting on this article for months and decided to get it out the door, rather than keep waiting for a couple of bits.

Andy

Master

great article, well written and informative.

its led me to a couple of questions

regards older designs

bezels- has anyone ever made a sort of push in and twist against a spring and notched design to stop accidentel turning?

and as timeing the dive itself [as opposed to telling the time] seems more important has anyone ever just fitted a stopwatch type function to a wristwatch case.to make timeing the dive even clearer?

hope i explained that well... :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by ditchdigger

regards older designs

bezels- has anyone ever made a sort of push in and twist against a spring and notched design to stop accidentel turning?
    Thanks for your kind words. :)

Yes IWC on the 3536 Aquatimer....

and as timeing the dive itself [as opposed to telling the time] seems more important has anyone ever just fitted a stopwatch type function to a wristwatch case.to make timeing the dive even clearer?

Well, essentially thats what the Aquastar was but it told the time as well... I expect there was some true diving stopwatches, but I dont know of any off hand... TAG did a range of sports stopwatches in the 70s for yachting and soccer etc, maybe they did one? hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Foztex
    Thanks fellas,

Hey Jon, sorry mate but I've not yet added the sideswipe stuff to the PP article

Anyway keep checking folks, there are still a couple of additions to go in 120c but weve (as usual) been sitting on this article for months and decided to get it out the door, rather than keep waiting for a couple of bits.

Andy
    Ahh, that will teach me to read our own stuff before I post ;) LOL

Well there is a little swipe in there... LOL

Yes, there is more on teh sm120c to come guys... check back in a week or so :)

Outstanding stuff JonW!Look forward to reading the article.

regards older designs

As Jon mentions, the IWC AT. Also, the Certina PH1000 has the push and turn bezel lock. On most of the older ones the spring has worn out and the mechanism no longer functions correctly. This leads to the 'Certina rattle' from the loose bezel. I've yet to find someone who can repair this, but I've got work for him when I do :) The reissue DS-3 has this type of bezel too. ISTR that there is another watch out there with this feature, but it escapes my feeble mind at the moment.

The SM120C and a few other chronos were designed for diving. The particulars of timing a dive more easily lend themselves to a turning bezel however: bottom time is rounded up to the next longest table entry, BT starts when you enter the water and ends when you surface, etc. As such, a chronograph for timing to the second is a very expensive complication for what is a finger-in-the-sand calculation.

Thanks Colin. I will check my Certina now... I fear its not locking though...

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    ISTR that there is another watch out there with this feature, but it escapes my feeble mind at the moment.
    Perhaps you are thinking about the THAG Colin?

/Stefan

Craftsman

Thanks Jon!
    Always nice to read the articles!

All the best
    Gustav

Anytime Gustav, I know you enjoyed the PP one so thought youd like this :)

Thanks for a great write-up. It’s one of Omega’s masterpieces and you’ve done it justice. What I find interesting in this calibre is “the minute totaliser hand” running between the hour and minute hands ... and ah, bringing back memories.

(Some of your pics don’t load. If you have any problem in identifying them, I can list the tags.)

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Thanks John, Very much appreciate the kind words and the heads up on the pics. Tho will say that they work fine in both IE and FF for me, can I ask what youre using? Feel free to pass the tags up if you have them, much appreciated.

I agree with you on the minute totaliser. That, for me, is the crowning glory on this watch and makes me wish all chronographs had it. After all when you want to read a counter, you want it as 'readable' as possible. Im a huge fan of the 5100 too of course... :)

Quote Originally Posted by sparmar1
    It's your best yet Jon...as for the watch, well I think you know what I think!

SSZ :D
    LOL cheers Sanj, It's your old 120c that is the subject of most of the pics :P

thanks for the kind words guys, It was a long time in the writing but well worth it in the end.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by JonW
    Thanks John, Very much appreciate the kind words and the heads up on the pics. Tho will say that they work fine in both IE and FF for me, can I ask what youre using? Feel free to pass the tags up if you have them, much appreciated.

I am using MS Explorer Version 6.0.2900.2180

The 3 below are not showing. All I can see is the grey that you are using as frame.

http://www.deskdivers.com/Site/SM120...340%20movt.png

http://www.deskdivers.com/Site/SM120...e_fozhands.png

http://www.deskdivers.com/Site/SM120...e_jonhands.png

john

how much are these going for in good condition?

Craftsman

Anytime Gustav, I know you enjoyed the PP one so thought youd like this :)
    I sure did, and this one was also "the bomb" :)

All the best,
    Gustav

John, Thanks for that. Ive passed the info on to Foz as hes not a regular viewer of the forum but I wonder if these arent showing as youre using an older version of the page in cache... hmm... can you try clearing the cache in the IE/FF/Saf etc browser and then going to the link? I think that might clear it for you... Foz will know more of course. :)

DimGR, hard to say... round GBP3k to 3500 for Ex Bienne on ebay, but you might find cheaper and then you could restore if you wanted. Omega have all the parts at Bienne. Box/paps/isofrane and mesh add value to the basic watch...

Gustav, Thanks mate, youre very kind :)

Hiya John,

I've checked the files and they are definitely there, also tried a couple of 'virgin' pc's and they display correctly too. I have been tweaking the article, I wonder if you managed to coincide with one of the uploads. How is it now? anyone else having trouble?

cheers

Andy

Cleared the cache and experiencing the same problem. :(

Let's hear what others say.

john

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Cleared the cache and experiencing the same problem. :(

Let's hear what others say.

john
    Rats, sorry to hear that John.
    I'm afraid I am not sure what else to suggest. Although you could try looking at the page through a free proxy site if you're desperate to see what you are missing. I wonder if it is perhaps your ISP caching pages? One of the most frustrating things myself and Jon experience is sometimes it takes up to a day for changes I have made on the site to be visible in Australia.

Andy

John, sorry to hear its not helped... I reckon youre missing at least 2 of the best pages as well.. damn :(

Foz is right, its no end of hassle when he does some updates in France and then were chatting about it and I cant see em until the next day... So much for the 'speed of the internet' :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by DimGR
    how much are these going for in good condition?
    You can find them in good condition for 2.2K GBP-3K GBP if you're willing to compromise on condition, with an eye towards a spa treatment later.

John, sorry to hear its not helped... I reckon youre missing at least 2 of the best pages as well.. damn :(

Oh there is no issue at my end, as I know the watch. I only mentioned it in case everybody was experiencing the same prob which would have made the article look ungainly.

john

regards older designs

Thanks Jon,

Great article! Well done!

Ditch, if you ever get an old Certina, or an old Ploprof, let me know. I have a Masonic Brother, and dear friend who is a Master Certified Watchmaker, from the old school, if you do not have it, you make it.

He has done two vintage Certina’s for me, back when I really liked vintage, not only did get being them back to factory specs, he made every one as, tight slightly tighter than new.

He has a love and a passion for restoring vintage watches, and loves Rolex, and Omega. He ahs done a few Ploprof's before, I have never owned one, but I have seen his work on them...with a two-year guarantee for workmanship on all watches.

John