closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dune 2020

Pauls story arc in Dune is interesting, goes against the typical path, cf to Luke in Star Wars which is pretty classic representation of the heroic voyage of self discovery and eventually attainment, wherein the innocent young neophyte undertakes a voyage of discovery, suffers for his art, undergoes training with an 'expert' that he must seek out, is tested and tested again, and eventually triumphant..Paul the scion of a ruling family is tested in Chapter 1 of Dune, iirc, he's established as more than human, demonstrated right from the start by overcoming his natural fear/instincts in the pain test, we know he's the fulfilment of prophecy, a demi god who knows/understands the ways of Arakis without having to be taught, he's entirely a self created being...not a criticism, I loved the first couple of books, part I guess of the appeal of Dune is that it does flip the traditional heroic journey trope on it's head.

Journeyman
    I have to agree - having read the first book i really struggled though it to the point of not reading any of the later ones. It sits in this weird space between science fiction and theology and doesnt quite nail either for me.

Villeneuves films however are exciting and challenging and whilst there might be a few missteps you cant really question the ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I think the first book is hugely over-rated and a bit of a mess thematically ; Lynch's film captures that aspect of the book extremely well in my opinion regardless of whether it was ultimately a good thing.

The other books in the series are not very good in my opinion ( badly written with messy structure and downright boring).
    The film looking at the trailer seems a bit dull and pedestrian in its depiction; and I have to say I would level that at most of Villeneuve's films. Cold and humourless with little sense of irony and thin characters filling in a blank space in the script. Also not very good at tension and pace which Dune needs in bucket loads to be worthwhile. Compare BladeRunner with 2049.

I would much rather have had Jodorowsky's crazy version.

Not long now for this, I’m hoping this remake is going to be a great movie.

The cast looks superb and I reckon having Timothy Chamalet in the role is a master stroke in casting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this a few weeks ago and it is fantastic. A brilliant adaptation.

However, it is only part I and the first half of the book. I only hope it is successful enough that they will make part II which they haven’t started yet!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I saw this a few weeks ago and it is fantastic. A brilliant adaptation.

However, it is only part I and the first half of the book. I only hope it is successful enough that they will make part II which they haven’t started yet!
    Continuing the Bladerunner comparison someone used above.

Is it like 1980's Bladerunner (any of the various edits), with a fast flowing storyline that became a classic or Bladerunner 2049 that was slow and dull and all about the visuals forgetting to entertain the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Continuing the Bladerunner comparison someone used above.

Is it like 1980's Bladerunner (any of the various edits), with a fast flowing storyline that became a classic or Bladerunner 2049 that was slow and dull and all about the visuals forgetting to entertain the audience.
    Have you read Dune? It isn’t exactly a fast flowing story!

The cinematography is fantastic and you can see the style relationship to BR 2049 which I actually liked. Not as much as the original of course.

I thought it was as faithful an adaption as I think you could do to the book. The cinema was deadly quiet throughout the long run time and at the end you could feel everyone letting out their breath as it was a true event movie. A good balance of story, visuals and spectacle. The big set pieces were superb.

I would say that it does help if you have read the book or at least know the story background.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Have you read Dune? It isn’t exactly a fast flowing story!

The cinematography is fantastic and you can see the style relationship to BR 2049 which I actually liked. Not as much as the original of course.

I thought it was as faithful an adaption as I think you could do to the book. The cinema was deadly quiet throughout the long run time and at the end you could feel everyone letting out their breath as it was a true event movie. A good balance of story, visuals and spectacle. The big set pieces were superb.

I would say that it does help if you have read the book or at least know the story background.
    Still the greatest piece of fiction I’ve ever read. Beside myself with excitement.

Saw the trailer last week at Bond, looks good.

Fun Fact: long ago I decided if I had a daughter her name would be Chani. Instead got a male sprog, oh well

i also saw this a few weeks ago and comparing it to bladerunner 2049 is spot on , they also use more of the books terminology which fans wil pick up on instantly - you can tell villeneuve is a big fan of the books.
    Last edited by pugster; 12th October 2021 at 05:43.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I watched this tonight. I thought it was excellent…as mentioned above I think an approx comparison to BR2049 is fair enough in respect of cinematography and style. Dune is a slow burner as a book and I think the film is a pretty good adaption although I also think it would help if you have read the book. I think it’s great news that it is only part 1 and that the whole thing wasn’t squeezed into one film.

Sorry folks, but it was awful.

I know very little of the lore - other than snippets gleaned from the ~1992 Amiga video game Dune II but I thought the film did nothing really other than introduce some politics, introduce some odd special abilities and then ended.

It was nothing more than a flashy 2:30 prologue. Seeing as part 2 hasn't officially been signed off, if this film was it, then IMO it isn't even a complete film!?

On balance, it looked pretty, it was well shot and the score was superb - but as a film in totality; poor.

It's a visual feast, the dragon fly winged copters are a delight but I think so far I still just about prefer the Lynch version for all it's camp, dated effects and wonderful lines like 'We have worm sign the likes of which even GOD himself has never seen'...decent casting and solid performances with the exception of the lumbering Mamoa. Looking forward to the next installment

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    Sorry folks, but it was awful.

I know very little of the lore - other than snippets gleaned from the ~1992 Amiga video game Dune II but I thought the film did nothing really other than introduce some politics, introduce some odd special abilities and then ended.

It was nothing more than a flashy 2:30 prologue. Seeing as part 2 hasn't officially been signed off, if this film was it, then IMO it isn't even a complete film!?

On balance, it looked pretty, it was well shot and the score was superb - but as a film in totality; poor.
    It isn't a complete film - that is definitely the biggest criticism. The first movie has ended at a natural point, but it's not an ending for a movie. Even the LotR trilogy had better break points with all the battles etc. And probably why a series would have been better, but then we would never have gotten the stunning effects.

Film 2 has been green lighted from what I've read, so I think seeing this as part of an epic 2 part extravaganza is what is likely needed.

Master
    I love the books, enjoyed Lynch's mad version, would have loved to have seen Jodorowskys version see the light of day and was massively sceptical of this version. After watching it I hope they make pt2 and again enjoyed it a lot. It followed the book a lot more closely than I expected and while the drogonflyesque ornithopters were visually stunning I always wondered about the original choice of something with a lot of complex moving parts in an extremely sandy place.
    The soundtrack especially stuck with me as it played very close to the Toto / Eno score from Lynch's version at times. Not a bad thing.

It's a tricky one, I think.

I've not yet seen the film, but Dune, as a book, is big and complex, the biggest fault with the Lynch film was it squeezed everything in too much.

The Villeneuve film seems to have avoided this, but at the risk of being incomplete - If there's no part 2 it'll seem a bad idea and if people don't go to see (or don't like) this first film, there may well not be, so it'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm going to see it, I'm not a huge Dune fan, but I think the film looks great in the trailers, I enjoyed BR2049 and films like Oblivion for their cinematography and this seems like something I'll enjoy seeing on a big screen.

However, my wife remembered the Lynch version and was keen to see the new one, but isn't now having seen the trailer when we went to see No Time To Die...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I'm a big fan of the book and just been out to see the new movie. Loved it. I'll be gutted if they don't make part 2. I thought it was really well done. A bit slow at the start, but it at least gave the story space to breathe. Not sure I'm convinced by Timothee Chalamet, but I'm willing to see another movie to make my mind up.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Loved it. It was overwhelmingly beautiful and sounded amazing, as do all Denis Villeneuve films. The pacing of this, and indeed the Blade Runner 2049, is the kind of sense of space and time I miss the most in modern spectacle films.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    ... and wonderful lines like 'We have worm sign the likes of which even GOD himself has never seen' ...
    This author of this has to have gone on to be a Trump speech writer.

Craftsman
    Watched it last night and thought it was great.
    It may have helped with me having re-read this first few books recently. Cinematography as mentioned above is brilliant and I found the pace just right.
    Now the wait for part 2 (reminiscent of LOTR).

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    This author of this has to have gone on to be a Trump speech writer.
    haha, destiny will not be denied.

I watched it yesterday and really enjoyed it.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Saw this on Thursday so have had a couple of days to process it. Haven’t read the book but knew the basics going in. Went with a mate who’s a big fan. I thought it was very good, decent acting and a real visual spectacle. Was left wishing there was already a sequel.

I watched this last night in a small screening size cinema and was enthralled by the cinematography, cast and, most of all, the thumping soundtrack which flowed through all manner of normal and alien sounds and which made me feel utterly and unequivocally immersed. The ‘voice’ has been given an update and I can’t wait to see how Paul utilises it in the next stage.

Master
    I quite liked it . I then tried to watch it again and got bored about 40minutes into it and after tgat it kinda meanders about a bit with nothing much happening.

Some of it looks great , some of it looks a bit cheap and bland .

I did miss the epic baroque art design and even the atmosphere of the Lynch version which does feel very alien and otherworldly.

I saw it the other day, and LOVED it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I did miss the epic baroque art design and even the atmosphere of the Lynch version which does feel very alien and otherworldly.
    I felt the Lynch version (and I'm a massive fan of Lynch) was an unforgivable affront to the greatest sci-fi novel - possibly the greatest novel - I've ever read, so to me that's an unbelievable comment. Still, I'll reluctantly accept that opinions are like...

I'm not that familiar with Dune, I've seen the Lynch film, but never read the books.

However, the trailer looked good and I enjoyed BR2049, so my Son and I went to see it last week.

I've heard some comment that the whole film seems like an intro and there's a degree of truth to that, but there is a hell of a lot going on in Part 1, so it didn't feel as slow as it could although a lot did feel like exposition rather than narrative.

That said, I enjoyed the film and will definitely be going to see the second part when it's finally released.

I saw a review online that said it owed a lot to David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia in its evocation of the romantic desert and there is definitely a lot of that, but as LOA is one of my favourite films of all time, that's no problem for me.

So, yes, it would have felt like a half finished film without the promise of part 2, but as we seem to be getting that now (and hopefully they won't screw it up a la Star Wars) it acts as a good introduction to the Dune universe and sets us up nicely for a action packed part 2.

I have watched quite a few YT videos since seeing the film and they have fleshed out a lot of the characters and storyline that is somewhat glossed over in the film and they have definitely helped my enjoyment, in reflection, of the film.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 30th October 2021 at 11:57.

I also tried to watch it again and gave up after about 40 minutes...whereas I've watched the Lynch version many times and it remains a delight.

the problem for some is that the new film ends when the book gets interesting , the only gripe from me is (what i thnk ) was the mis casting of duncan idaho - jason moma cant act for $hit and he doesnt fit the duncan character (imo).

I also tried to watch it again and gave up after about 40 minutes...whereas I've watched the Lynch version many times and it remains a delight.
    The same way Flash Gordon is?

Sorry, but the Lynch film just looks a little silly these days (Actually it did at the time - The Flash Gordon comparison seemed appropriate back then too!)

"Paul Atreides is alive!?!?!?!?!"

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Sorry, but the Lynch film just looks a little silly these days (Actually it did at the time - The Flash Gordon comparison seemed appropriate back then too!)

M
    I don't think anyone who appreciated the novel for the epic work of art it was would consider the Lynch movie as a serious adaptation.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    the problem for some is that the new film ends when the book gets interesting , the only gripe from me is (what i thnk ) was the mis casting of duncan idaho - jason moma cant act for $hit and he doesnt fit the duncan character (imo).
    I agree. The casting is,on the whole,excellent but I did think at the time that Idaho could’ve been cast with a bit more thought.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I don't think anyone who appreciated the novel for the epic work of art it was would consider the Lynch movie as a serious adaptation.
    I quite liked (and still do like) the Lynch movie but i look on it like the comic book version. Dune extra light.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    Depends what you want, expect out of a movie...it's just entertainment at the end of the day, how seriously the viewer wants to take it, the mood, is down to them.

For anyone who enjoyed the soundtrack, I would highly (HIGHLY!) recommend the Dune Sketchbook companion album. It's expanded versions of the main themes from the soundtrack. Fewer, but much longer tracks. It is fantastic. I've listened to it about 15 times already while I work.

I never read the book, nor saw the '84 film. My son saw the movie last week with his daughter and said he found it hard to follow. Before I went, I read the plot summary in Wikipedia. I would have been lost if I went in cold! My hearing disability (war-related) doesn't help matters either...nor my age (74).

Just watched it and thought it was very good.

I'm looking forward to part 2.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I never read the book, nor saw the '84 film. My son saw the movie last week with his daughter and said he found it hard to follow. Before I went, I read the plot summary in Wikipedia. I would have been lost if I went in cold! My hearing disability (war-related) doesn't help matters either...nor my age (74).
    Hahah I only ever really understood dune 84 after reading the book.
    I thought captions for the bene gesserit hand talk were awsome! Although they were not exactly "imperceptible" moves of the fingers.
    I liked the movie, satisfyingly long and rather packed, probably a movie for the fans of the book. Otherwise I would have found it boring and dull. My wife slept, she wants to see the sting one.
    Her commment was "why is the future so medieval?"

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Depends what you want, expect out of a movie...it's just entertainment at the end of the day, how seriously the viewer wants to take it, the mood, is down to them.
    I don't disagree, but I enjoyed the new adaption's style and tone far more than the Lynch one.

I always rather enjoy Flash Gordon, but I wouldn't say it's a better sci-fi film than Blade Runner or Aliens, for example.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

Watched this a week ago and I loved it and can’t wait for the second part, the rest of my family quickly got bored of it as they found it immensely confusing, only my oldest son really kept watching and he enjoyed it too.

Master
    I saw it at the IMAX on Sunday, it was stunning in that format, and was always conceived with that in mind - the sheer scale is surely part of its impact. Going by the trailer, it would lose some of its power in 2.35:1 in a normal cinema. It's a pity the run at the Odeon BFI IMAX was so ludicrously short, it was completely sold out, surely they could have managed another week?

It has some of the best art direction in any sci-fi movie - probably the best since the original Blade Runner. Some of the designs were brilliantly unexpected, and feel wholly Dune and not generic in any way (albeit quite Brutalist).

Sure it lacks the 'big ending' that would make it a perfect self-contained movie with a big payoff, but given that it's part one and the rest officially has the green light for a 2023 release, I'm more than happy to be able to enjoy the first half of this 5 hour epic now. What you do get from the outset is the genuine atmosphere of the book, the epic sense of the mystical significance and depth, and the complex societies with their own codes & rituals, each one visually fascinating. It feels wonderfully strange and alien, but utterly believable at the same time. Perhaps the slow, hypnotic style won't be for everyone, but if you like gazing in awe at a series of stunningly realised sci-fi artworks with a superb Hans Zimmer soundtrack, it's a treat. There's no doubt at all the Villeneuve's vision of Dune is the definitive version, he's succeeded where so many others have failed in filming the famously unfilmable book.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    For anyone who enjoyed the soundtrack, I would highly (HIGHLY!) recommend the Dune Sketchbook companion album. It's expanded versions of the main themes from the soundtrack. Fewer, but much longer tracks. It is fantastic. I've listened to it about 15 times already while I work.
    Thank you for this! Loving the first album but wasn't aware of this one. And it's on Apple Music in Lossless Dolby Atmos ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Her commment was "why is the future so medieval?"
    Because of the Butlerian Jihad, obviously!
    Last edited by Itsguy; 2nd November 2021 at 14:11.

Craftsman
    I finished the audiobook on Sunday and saw the film in IMAX last night. I really enjoyed it. Looking forwards to part 2.

I saw it on Friday with my Dad. I thought it was brilliant, and my Dad really enjoyed it too even though he didn't follow all of the plot.

I've seen the Lynch film 2 or 3 times but not for 20+ years and had completely forgotten the plot. I read a bit of an intro on the background to the story (the key houses and planets) 10 minutes before this film started and then I found it pretty easy to follow the plot.

For me the film ended at a natural point in the story, it wasn't that abrupt and is set up nicely for the next part.

Definitely one to see at the cinema, can't wait for part 2!

Not seen it myself, but was talking to a pal earlier, who got taken to see it, and she knew nothing of it.
    She thoroughly enjoyed it, and highly recommends it - very surprising to me, as this is definitely not her kind of film.
    Must be good

epic

back in the 70's when I was at school it was considered that one started with the Hobbit, progressed to Lord Of The Rings and then moved onto the Dune series. I read maybe the first two but not sure if I read the third, loved them. Loved the Lynch adaptation despite some ropey special effects by todays standards. Once one had read them it was considered the next step would be the serious scifis like Asimov and E.E. Smith so am really looking forward to the Foundation series, and maybe one day someone will get around to the Lensmen stories

Saw it last week, thought it was absolute tripe.

Finally got to see it at the Cinema last night, absolutely blown away by it, the casting was superb and couldn’t believe the end at 2hrs 30 mins came so quickly. Total opposite feeling to watching No Time To Die, that was pants and ruined IMO…

Can’t wait for the 2nd part…

Really enjoyed it, thought the casting was superb along with the visuals, sound was spectacular.

My only criticism would be the the editing, cutting between scenes needlessly rather than simply letting one play out before moving on, especially in fast paced scenes.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

new trailer for part 2 is out

Excited about this! I would love to watch them both in the cinema back to back!

Looking forward to seeing part 2!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Looking forward to seeing part 2!.
    Me too! I thought the first one was outstanding.
    Cheers..
    Jase