closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dune 2020

Grand Master
    Pauls story arc in Dune is interesting, goes against the typical path, cf to Luke in Star Wars which is pretty classic representation of the heroic voyage of self discovery and eventually attainment, wherein the innocent young neophyte undertakes a voyage of discovery, suffers for his art, undergoes training with an 'expert' that he must seek out, is tested and tested again, and eventually triumphant..Paul the scion of a ruling family is tested in Chapter 1 of Dune, iirc, he's established as more than human, demonstrated right from the start by overcoming his natural fear/instincts in the pain test, we know he's the fulfilment of prophecy, a demi god who knows/understands the ways of Arakis without having to be taught, he's entirely a self created being...not a criticism, I loved the first couple of books, part I guess of the appeal of Dune is that it does flip the traditional heroic journey trope on it's head.

Journeyman
    I have to agree - having read the first book i really struggled though it to the point of not reading any of the later ones. It sits in this weird space between science fiction and theology and doesnt quite nail either for me.

Villeneuves films however are exciting and challenging and whilst there might be a few missteps you cant really question the ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I think the first book is hugely over-rated and a bit of a mess thematically ; Lynch's film captures that aspect of the book extremely well in my opinion regardless of whether it was ultimately a good thing.

The other books in the series are not very good in my opinion ( badly written with messy structure and downright boring).
    The film looking at the trailer seems a bit dull and pedestrian in its depiction; and I have to say I would level that at most of Villeneuve's films. Cold and humourless with little sense of irony and thin characters filling in a blank space in the script. Also not very good at tension and pace which Dune needs in bucket loads to be worthwhile. Compare BladeRunner with 2049.

I would much rather have had Jodorowsky's crazy version.

Not long now for this, Iím hoping this remake is going to be a great movie.

The cast looks superb and I reckon having Timothy Chamalet in the role is a master stroke in casting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this a few weeks ago and it is fantastic. A brilliant adaptation.

However, it is only part I and the first half of the book. I only hope it is successful enough that they will make part II which they havenít started yet!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I saw this a few weeks ago and it is fantastic. A brilliant adaptation.

However, it is only part I and the first half of the book. I only hope it is successful enough that they will make part II which they havenít started yet!
    Continuing the Bladerunner comparison someone used above.

Is it like 1980's Bladerunner (any of the various edits), with a fast flowing storyline that became a classic or Bladerunner 2049 that was slow and dull and all about the visuals forgetting to entertain the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Continuing the Bladerunner comparison someone used above.

Is it like 1980's Bladerunner (any of the various edits), with a fast flowing storyline that became a classic or Bladerunner 2049 that was slow and dull and all about the visuals forgetting to entertain the audience.
    Have you read Dune? It isnít exactly a fast flowing story!

The cinematography is fantastic and you can see the style relationship to BR 2049 which I actually liked. Not as much as the original of course.

I thought it was as faithful an adaption as I think you could do to the book. The cinema was deadly quiet throughout the long run time and at the end you could feel everyone letting out their breath as it was a true event movie. A good balance of story, visuals and spectacle. The big set pieces were superb.

I would say that it does help if you have read the book or at least know the story background.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Have you read Dune? It isnít exactly a fast flowing story!

The cinematography is fantastic and you can see the style relationship to BR 2049 which I actually liked. Not as much as the original of course.

I thought it was as faithful an adaption as I think you could do to the book. The cinema was deadly quiet throughout the long run time and at the end you could feel everyone letting out their breath as it was a true event movie. A good balance of story, visuals and spectacle. The big set pieces were superb.

I would say that it does help if you have read the book or at least know the story background.
    Still the greatest piece of fiction Iíve ever read. Beside myself with excitement.

Saw the trailer last week at Bond, looks good.

Fun Fact: long ago I decided if I had a daughter her name would be Chani. Instead got a male sprog, oh well

i also saw this a few weeks ago and comparing it to bladerunner 2049 is spot on , they also use more of the books terminology which fans wil pick up on instantly - you can tell villeneuve is a big fan of the books.
    Last edited by pugster; 12th October 2021 at 05:43.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I watched this tonight. I thought it was excellentÖas mentioned above I think an approx comparison to BR2049 is fair enough in respect of cinematography and style. Dune is a slow burner as a book and I think the film is a pretty good adaption although I also think it would help if you have read the book. I think itís great news that it is only part 1 and that the whole thing wasnít squeezed into one film.