closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dune 2020

Dune 2020

anyone else looking forweard to this ? probably my favorite books and ive read them many times over the years, frank herberts dune has been remade -directed by villeneuve (filming finished and in editing stage) looks like a good cast hopefully it capture more from the books than the previous film and series did (a difficult job due to the books complexity )

https://movieweb.com/dune-remake-202...is-villeneuve/

WOW!

Defo - one of my fave cult films.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Fear is the mind killer !

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    That's great news! Dune is one of my all time favourite books (I always thought it tailed off as the series continued)..... I also quite liked the original film.
    This remake could be really good. I've had a quick look at the cast list and it seems spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by bdkelly72 View Post
    Fear is the mind killer !

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app
    The little death that leads to total annihilation...

Great news.

I still think, decades later, that the first and original Dune was the best novel I’ve ever read. I despised the movie first time around (and genuinely resented its release) but have high hopes for this one.

I hope they don’t F it up.
    It's just a matter of time...

Still love the book, one of my absolute favourites. (Also the first couple of sequels, although less so, with diminishing returns from there on in.) Hated the movie*. So, I'm looking forward to this, but with some trepidation.

(* Apparently Frank Herbert was very happy with the movie, or so I read. No idea why.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

although they are a good concept in that film there were no weirding modules in the books :(

the whole series of books are very complex and span thousand of years , to date i dont think ive ever read any other books that give so much background information to a story -from space travel to engineering religions .

The spice must flow.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    although they are a good concept in that film there were no weirding modules in the books :(

the whole series of books are very complex and span thousand of years , to date i dont think ive ever read any other books that give so much background information to a story -from space travel to engineering religions .
    Have you tried The Expanse?

Master
    Really looking forward to this, hope they get it right this time! (Although I must admit to liking the first movie for what it was!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'd be staggered if Villeneuve messes this up, everything he has done so far has been excellent in my opinion. I guess Enemy was a bit divisive.

Master
    I'm a big fan of the first novel. I've only read the first and then the sixth for some reason. I though the Lynch film looked great but was a poor, heavy handed adaptation. Hoping this one will be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Only read the first two so far, excellent writing. I watched the first series on Netflix, very well made, but now on Prime so haven't seen any more.
    Try the Ringworld books by Larry Niven.

have not read any of the books yet but started watching the series a few weeks ago on someones recommendation on here (im halfway through season 4 now ) - apart from some dodgy belters accents (seems to switch between cockney and patois on a few actors) its been a great series .

I cannot wait for this, Dune was an incredible space epic.

For those interested, it was nearly made into a film in the 70s by a chap called Jodorovski, who cast Orson Welles, Mick Jagger, and Salvador Dali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4OCeSTL08

anyone else looking forweard to this ? probably my favorite books and ive read them many times over the years, frank herberts dune has been remade -directed by villeneuve (filming finished and in editing stage) looks like a good cast hopefully it capture more from the books than the previous film and series did (a difficult job due to the books complexity )

https://movieweb.com/dune-remake-202...is-villeneuve/

have not read any of the books yet but started watching the series a few weeks ago on someones recommendation on here (im halfway through season 4 now ) - apart from some dodgy belters accents (seems to switch between cockney and patois on a few actors) its been a great series .
    I've read huge amounts of sc-fi over the years including all the afore but The Expanse has engrossed me more than most. I read all 8 books and am on the last 150 pages of the last in the series, Tiamat's Wrath which I coerced my local Library into buying. Tbh I can hardly bear to finish it. Same with the series, Ep 10 of series 5 still un-watched.

Funny as I have only just started reading Dune, about 100 pages in. So it hasn’t really started yet!

Don’t know why it has taken me so long to get round to reading it. I remember watching the Film when I was a teenager and not really getting it so maybe that put me off!

Never heard of the Expanse books but have noticed the series on Netflix but not watched it!

Master
    Currently reading "Cibola burn" ... It's not quite Dunesque series, more like Hyperion Cantos with old 50ies space opera feel and cyberpunk elements.

Dune is unique in many ways.

Master
    Really looking forward to this😁

Oooohhhh loving the look of that, floyd track too as a bonus !

Master
    His other movies have been superb, this has a real chance of being a classic. Really hope so.......

Look's very good. Definitely one I would watch.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Oooo...that looks very good.

Just reread the book recently.

That looks good...Fear IS the mind killer, the little death that leads to total obliteration...

Praise the Lord!!!

FINALLY a sci-fi film without the stereotypical costumed up dual life superheros.
    Big fan of Herbert, looking forward to this.

Grand Master
    I've read huge amounts of sc-fi over the years including all the afore but The Expanse has engrossed me more than most. I read all 8 books and am on the last 150 pages of the last in the series, Tiamat's Wrath which I coerced my local Library into buying. Tbh I can hardly bear to finish it. Same with the series, Ep 10 of series 5 still un-watched.

Series 5 of the expanse hasn't aired yet, so you still have 10 episodes to watch in the future, not counting if Amazon do another series, or even a spin off!

As for Dune, this looks good, it's based on great material, has an excellent cast and is directed by someone who is probably the best choice to helm this, and he's also done the screenplay.

Master
    The trailer is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4

Visually it’s looking strong, though Paul is a bit more Emo than I imagined when reading the book. And that music... Oh dear I hope that’s not going anywhere other than the end credits.

Craftsman
    Obviously mostly PR fluff, but a few shots that I don't remember from the trailer are in there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjLijCWt76o

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The trailer is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4

Visually it’s looking strong, though Paul is a bit more Emo than I imagined when reading the book. And that music... Oh dear I hope that’s not going anywhere other than the end credits.
    The music truly is horrendous.

My son shouted to me last night, "is Dune any good?" I replied that the films crap but the books brilliant. He said the trailer looks good.
    What trailer? Ohhhh...... Must be a new release, think it looks good but then all trailers look good. At least it can't be any worse than the original.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Mmmmmm Shai-halud!

That does look enticing. I've not seen the TV series, with Saskia Reeves etc. but I actually really liked the Lynch film, while agreeing that some of the acting was atrocious. I admit though Lynch can do little wrong in my eyes.

Journeyman
    I love Dune and am really excited for the new movie. The cast and director are all spot on. But wow would I love to see the movie below—what a shame it was never made! It looks absolutely crazy but brilliant. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post
    I cannot wait for this, Dune was an incredible space epic.

For those interested, it was nearly made into a film in the 70s by a chap called Jodorovski, who cast Orson Welles, Mick Jagger, and Salvador Dali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4OCeSTL08

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Just saw the trailer and think it looks great.
    Timotei Chalamet has the right vibe for Paul Artemides

Journeyman
    Villneuves previous films have been great

His sequel to Blade Runner didnt ruin the original which was a real worry for me as its one of my fav films

The original is one of my iconic movies - this looks faithful to the original and really looking forward to seeing this!.

DOTM soundtrack seems to work well too...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

Agree on all point. Looks great, but maybe a little too dark and desaturated. Music is terrible. Paul and Kylo Ren seem to share the same barber.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    DOTM soundtrack seems to work well too...
    Dark Of The Moon

Craftsman
    This looks like one of the very few movies I’m going to be interested in. For some reason I’ve never read the book so I’ll get started on that.

Currently working my way through Iain M. Banks’ culture series for the nth time as they’re my all time favourites. Has anyone read both and how do they compare?

for the people reading the book for the first time - dont stop at one book, there are 6 books in the original series (and more after co written by his son that arent too bad either)

for the people reading the book for the first time - dont stop at one book, there are 6 books in the original series (and more after co written by his son that arent too bad either)
    To be fair, there's a lot of credence to the notion that they should have ended after the original trilogy. For anyone interested in getting on board, though, the original novel is arguably the best science fiction ever written and well worth reading prior to the film's release.

I am very excited about this one, looks like he is going towards the book more than the Lynch movie. I just hope that he makes it understandable for those that have not read the books, its a dense and strange world.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    To be fair, there's a lot of credence to the notion that they should have ended after the original trilogy. For anyone interested in getting on board, though, the original novel is arguably the best science fiction ever written and well worth reading prior to the film's release.
    I used to agree with it being the best sf book but then I read the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons. Overtook the number 1 spot for me but Dune is a very close 2nd place.

I tend to disagree. The movie probably encompasses Dune 1 and 2, which are a work of genius. After that I found it followed the law of diminishing returns: not bad, but not in the same league.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    I used to agree with it being the best sf book but then I read the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons. Overtook the number 1 spot for me but Dune is a very close 2nd place.

Totally agree!

The Hyperion Cantos doesn't seem to be on many peoples radar, but I was blown away by it. Definitely my favourite SF series

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I think the first book is hugely over-rated and a bit of a mess thematically ; Lynch's film captures that aspect of the book extremely well in my opinion regardless of whether it was ultimately a good thing.

The other books in the series are not very good in my opinion ( badly written with messy structure and downright boring).
    The film looking at the trailer seems a bit dull and pedestrian in its depiction; and I have to say I would level that at most of Villeneuve's films. Cold and humourless with little sense of irony and thin characters filling in a blank space in the script. Also not very good at tension and pace which Dune needs in bucket loads to be worthwhile. Compare BladeRunner with 2049.

I would much rather have had Jodorowsky's crazy version.