closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Waiting for my Italian Tuna

Waiting for my Italian Tuna

HATE waiting.:)

Not seen one of these before,are they new or old ,please post pics when it turns up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really like the look of them. The ones I’ve seen on the net are quartz was there an auto version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Really like the look of them. The ones I’ve seen on the net are quartz was there an auto version?
    Uses the 7A series quartz movement which was the first analog quartz chronograph movement ever, which will go nicely with my Seiko 6139, the first mechanical auto chronograph.

Not usually a quartz fan, but this one caught my attention. Made for the Italian market only in the 80s.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/seiko-s...vintage-watch/
    Last edited by calypso; 14th February 2020 at 09:00.

Lovely pick up and original bracelet as well? The bracelet was a popular swap in for MM tunas.

Always fancied one of these but never been brave enough to dabble in eBay sales and they almost never come up on fora.

Where did you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Lovely pick up and original bracelet as well? The bracelet was a popular swap in for MM tunas.

Always fancied one of these but never been brave enough to dabble in eBay sales and they almost never come up on fora.

Where did you buy it?
    Long search but eventually found it on eBay. Eastern Europe. I know, but the seller has 100% rating and lots of excellent feedback. Hope it's genuine.

The photo in the top post is a quartz 'Y' series (Y187-7A30) not a quartz caliber 7A as indicated in the link (totally different watch).

I'd been looking for one of those for ages but all the sellers seemed to be in Italy and having experienced the delights of the Italian postal service previously it kind of put me off (I guess it's to expected when it was a special edition for the Italian market)

Something a bit different though and we'll worth a place in a collection.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Here is a write up I completed about 11 years ago, many of the links are dead :-( and the photos also.

A Guide to Seiko Italian Chronographs

I thought I would write a brief guide on the Seiko Italian Chronographs as I have been trying to collect a bunch of them for the past five months and would have been grateful for this information prior to my search so hopefully it will be of use for others collecting this model.

Having trawled the internet most of the posts I came across had pictures or information relating to the Italian Chrono Bracelet loaded onto 300m Tunas. I wish to acknowledge some folks for the information they have written or the pictures they posted.
    Kurt; (2007)
    http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index...&id=1196881957

Stratman II; (2006)
    http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index...&id=1153401326

David; (2003)
    http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index...&id=1056923429

The Seiko Chronographs with the movement Y187 and Y182 are commonly known as Italian Chronographs as they were produced for the Italian market and as far as I know not produced for other regions. Trying to find substantive evidence that they were only produced for the Italian market is thin to say the least……………..but out of the seven I have bought in the last 5 months six were from Italian vendors, not conclusive but the evidence does suggest it is true.

They were produced in the late 90’s, the pieces I have in my collection are from 1998 (five of them) and one from 1999. These dates seem to be very common as the one I have sold was from 1998. In particular none I have had are earlier than April 1998 and no later than January 1999, so the production run on these could be very short indeed. Of course if any owners have variations in the date of production can you let me know and I will add it to this information sheet.

They came with either a stainless steel bracelet which gets universal admiration particularly as they fit the 300m Tuna’s so well. They also came on a rubber Z-22.

Using the Seiko Australia website (http://service.seiko.com.au/pls/seik...46406:Go:NO:RP::) I have discovered that there were 500 watch models using the Y182 calibre movement though only four models of the Italian were produced (there are *eight listed but these include the same watch head but have either a rubber or steel band). The other Y182 models ended up in Seiko’s other brands, particularly Pulsar.
    Also 98 models used the Y187 calibre movement and *ten were used in the Italians (7 individual models)

Case/Size:
    The Y182 and Y187 have the same dimensions;
    Diameter including crown 48mm
    Lug to lug 48mm
    Lug size 22mm
    Thickness 13.24mm
    The Case of the Y182 has reference number 7C20 and the Y187 is 7A30

Movement:
    The Y187 and Y182 have the traditional layout of sub-dials at 6/9/12; both movements have no jewels. The differences are:
    Y182: 6 sub-dial is for the alarm; 9 sub-dial for continuous seconds; 12 sub-dial minute countdown.
    Y187: 6 sub-dial is for the continuous seconds; 9 sub-dial for 24hr readout; 12 sub-dial minute countdown.

The Y182 has an extra crown at 4 for setting the alarm. The chrono second has a sweep movement and runs at 32,768 Hz. This movement appears identical to the 7T32 movement.

Instructions:
    The instructions for both of these movements can be found here: http://www.seikowatches.com/support/ib/index.html

Crystal:
    The crystal is Seiko Hardlex, it is domed and 4.5mm thick.
    pic

Water Resistance:
    Neither the Y182 or Y187 have screw down crowns yet the Y182 is rated to 200m and the Y187 to 100m.

Bracelet/Strap:
    The bracelet on the Italian is 22mm at the lugs and tapers to 20mm at the clasp though the tapering is not particularly noticeable. The full bracelet has 9 links each side of the clasp the links are 4mm thick. The part number is 4765JM.

Bezel:
    The Y182 has a unidirectional bezel with 120 clicks and the Y187 is fixed.

Size comparison:
    Against a 6309
    pic

Weight:
    An Italian with its bracelet weighs in at 170g and the bracelet on its own is 100g.

Models:
    The Y187 had model numbers starting with SLP0 and the Y182 with SLN0.
    The Y182 series had *eight variations four different dial and sub-dial combinations with either Z-22 rubber strap or the great stainless steel bracelet. This is denoted by the end of the model number e.g. SLN001P1 is bracelet and SLN001P2 is rubber…………so P1 = bracelet and P2 = rubber.

To find out more details of this model you can visit the Seiko Australia site here http://service.seiko.com.au/pls/seik...46406:Go:NO:RP:
    In the Calibre box put Y187 or Y182 and in the Case No box put 7A30 or 7C20 this will bring up the models. You then click on view and it will open up with all the watch parts and their relevant parts number.

I have compiled a simple spreadsheet below for the Y182 and Y187 models; this is based on the information from the Seiko website and what I have identified from other photo’s. As you can see there are some models which I have guessed at. If anyone can confirm the details then I will update these spreadsheets.

I have a black dial/yellow sub-dial version of the Y187 but I can’t decide where it fits in, now it may be that the current list on the Seiko website is not complete or I have not been accurate in my assumptions. Again any feedback would be appreciated.

The Y187 has the date at 4:30 and the Y182 has the date at 3

*based on the Seiko Australia website http://service.seiko.com.au/pls/seik...46406:Go:NO:RP::

Summary:
    The Italian dials are some of the most vivid and contrasting dial colours that Seiko has produced. The texture of the dials and sub dials have a rich ink like quality and some, particularly the blue and turquoise have an iridescence quality. The sub dials are sculptured with silver rims and the lume is also fantastic on these chrono’s.

The Y182/7 movement appears to be as accurate as most other quartz movements in this category, what I particularly like is the sweep chrono second hand.

These watches are big and have real wrist presence combined with the vivid colours and functionality of the chrono makes this a great eye-catching and practical watch. Some have stated that this watch compares in case shape to the 300m Tuna the brushed case certainly has some similarity to the Tuna case.

An article written by Jim on GMT+9 discussed whether the Italian chrono was designed by Giugiaro, well you read this fascinating article and see what you think http://www.gmtplusnine.com/?p=118

Many thanks for reading

Derek (LuvWatch)

I did find one photo of all the chrono's I collected

Master
    Fabulous group shot.

I had a black dial many moons ago. Lovely little watch.

Thank you all.
    It seems that the gmtplusnine site is no longer up

Found this which I presume is the new site.

https://www.plus9time.com/

OK, so it arrived. Looks reasonable considering its age, Looks better in the flesh. Face is clean (dust specks in photo are outside.)
    Had an anxious morning putting it through its paces. Everything seem to work.
    Fitted a new battery. Checking timekeeping at the moment.
    I love the massive bracelet it came on but unfortunately, it's just too tight for me.
    Asked the seller if he had any links (just one), but no luck.
    Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post

OK, so it arrived. Looks reasonable considering its age, Looks better in the flesh. Face is clean (dust specks in photo are outside.)
    Had an anxious morning putting it through its paces. Everything seem to work.
    Fitted a new battery. Checking timekeeping at the moment.
    I love the massive bracelet it came on but unfortunately, it's just too tight for me.
    Asked the seller if he had any links (just one), but no luck.
    Any suggestions?
    You could buy one of these clasp extenders..

https://www.watchandclockparts.com/p...MaAkqWEALw_wcB

My Italian Tuna bracelet was a link or two short and one of these made it wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    You could buy one of these clasp extenders...
    Brilliant. I didn't know they existed.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post

Bracelet/Strap:
    The bracelet on the Italian is 22mm at the lugs and tapers to 20mm at the clasp though the tapering is not particularly noticeable. The full bracelet has 9 links each side of the clasp the links are 4mm thick. The part number is 4765JM.

Many thanks for reading

Derek (LuvWatch)

I dug one of these bracelets out of my strap box to put on my PADI Tuna, It wears so well.

I had no idea what it was or where I got it from and was going to post on here to find out as I want another. Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    I dug one of these bracelets out of my strap box to put on my PADI Tuna, It wears so well.

I had no idea what it was or where I got it from and was going to post on here to find out as I want another. Thanks for the information.
    Thank you Derek. I've ordered a small extension of eBay for the moment. My son lives in Tokyo so I shall ask him if he can source a couple of links (doubtful).