closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar I-PACE

Master

Jaguar I-PACE

Seriously considering getting one. Are there any owners on TZ? What is it like in the real world. I have been a passenger in one but not drievn one yet (I will do soon).

What are the feelings on range, practicality, comfort!? Charging issues!!???

Will be my first foray into electric cars so slightly nervous about that.

I am thinking either SE or HSE on a 2 year lease.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Seriously considering getting one. Are there any owners on TZ? What is it like in the real world. I have been a passenger in one but not drievn one yet (I will do soon).

What are the feelings on range, practicality, comfort!? Charging issues!!???

Will be my first foray into electric cars so slightly nervous about that.

I am thinking either SE or HSE on a 2 year lease.
    Be interesting to hear what people's views are. I was offered one at a good price in January but still not sure about the charging infrastructure when in different parts of the country. (holibobs!). It was virtually new but the previous owner just couldn't get on with it, not sure why! (probably just a bit of a luddite like me). Went with another IC engine this time, but in a couple of years will probably be looking to go leccy.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Apprentice
    Recent review on YouTube with Harry’s garage, main prob is charging issues and real world range of 190 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cjmcd View Post
    Recent review on YouTube with Harry’s garage, main prob is charging issues and real world range of 190 miles

And the crappy UK charging network....

Craftsman

I was about to suggest this too. 190mi achieved out of the 260mi range stated when charged to 100%. Not really on is it.

Seems to me that the Tesla range estimates are far more accurate and the charging network is more mature too.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

Master
    Thank you for the recommendation. I have just watched that video.

Granted charging infrastructure needs work. I commute 20 miles into London each day. So for my day to day it is fine. Longer journeys for work trips, for me about once per month could be an issue and will mean on those days it will be a car swap with the Mrs.

Any owners here ??

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Our ‘Government’ have recently announced a switching from grants on new vehicles to major investment on charging points, problem will be once charging companies realise this will become new ‘cash cow’ and increase cost to charge, new Mini Cooper S e is around £28k here whereas non-green US of A are giving $10k grants making less than $20k over there, good for export market hopefully subject to trade deal
    Bottom line is you must have a home charger

Blog Entries
    Our ‘Government’ have recently announced a switching from grants on new vehicles to major investment on charging points, problem will be once charging companies realise this will become new ‘cash cow’ and increase cost to charge, new Mini Cooper S e is around £28k here whereas non-green US of A are giving $10k grants making less than $20k over there, good for export market hopefully subject to trade deal
    Bottom line is you must have a home charger

It’s charging when you’re not at home and the time it takes that put me off.

Owner's I-PACE charging experience https://www.macfilos.com/2020/02/06/...sit-to-gaydon/

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 13th February 2020 at 01:20.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Jaguar I-PACE

Don’t think about going abroad either (any EV except maybe Tesla) https://youtu.be/wGkbiXik7yE

They have to sort out the infrastructure. Not necessarily provide it, just sort it out. I see charge points in Blandford, Poole and Dorchester virtually derelict, never seen them used. Why? The electric is more expensive than petrol. I've a GTE hybrid golf. Wouldn't go anywhere near one. When I was in the midlands casually looking for a charging points I counted 17 different operators. Bear in mind most of them want a different card, app, deposit scheme.

It's mental. It's out of control. I can see there's costs involved in installing and maintaining a charging point, got it loud and clear, but I'm sure some investors have taken a bath so far on returns on their over-priced electric.

This is national infrastructure that's needed, not Joe Bloggs Charging. Honestly it's mental out there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    They have to sort out the infrastructure. Not necessarily provide it, just sort it out. I see charge points in Blandford, Poole and Dorchester virtually derelict, never seen them used. Why? The electric is more expensive than petrol. I've a GTE hybrid golf. Wouldn't go anywhere near one. When I was in the midlands casually looking for a charging points I counted 17 different operators. Bear in mind most of them want a different card, app, deposit scheme.

It's mental. It's out of control. I can see there's costs involved in installing and maintaining a charging point, got it loud and clear, but I'm sure some investors have taken a bath so far on returns on their over-priced electric.

This is national infrastructure that's needed, not Joe Bloggs Charging. Honestly it's mental out there.
    Sounds like my reasons for passing on one weren’t totally unfounded!

Master
    Can only really comment on general EV ownership, but as said before home charging capability is a must for ownership at present. In general though we found an EV to be fantastic for general 2nd car duties. Weekend shops, visits to friends, work commutes (within 45 miles for the leaf we had) were great and I'd highly recommend one if your use case fits which it sounds like it might. I'd personally only consider a Tesla if I wanted something with over 150 miles of range mainly due to the supercharger network. As someone who was involved for a time with the charging network, there is still a lot of work to be done before it's out of 'beta'. The Tesla network however seems to be well thought out, integrated and mature.

Master
    Most of us could prob use an electric car as either main or 2nd car but the charging really is the issue. I only found out on this forum there are 3 x different connections and there seems to be no 'standard' charging costs. In Mcr it's free at the moment but then people are leaving their cars hooked up to the chargers all day - so it's free parking. But what happens when we all move over to electric vehicles? Those fuel duties are going to need recouping from someone and the amount of charging stations needed will be...anyone have a figure?

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post

Agreed 100%.

So far the Government have completely dropped the ball on this.

They can make as many pronouncements as they like about carbon targets and banning diesel and petrol cars, but unless there is a full, comprehensive and robust chargning network in place it is going to be chaos.

On R5Live yesterday they had the head of the National Grid. She seemed extremely confident about their capacity to support this huge change over to electric cars.

What needs to happen now is that a Minister is appointed to rapidly develop and oversee a national car charging strategy (yes, I know few of them are competent, but it needs to be Government led and not left to a multitude of different operators all just trying to make a quick buck).

There will need to be legislation changes also - and streetside chargers installed up and down the country in huge numbers otherwise lots of people aren't going to be able to make the change easily enough, and property prices in some areas will absolutely tank as a key priority for homebuyers will be off-street charging access.
    So clever my foot fell off.

All seems so complicated - why can't users just put in a credit card and pay for electricity used.

Don't need to register and use apps for other fuel.

Blog Entries
    Why don't new housing developments have to have sufficient charging facilities at least for the amount of cars that will be resident there. All new housing should have to be automatically equipped with vehicle charging points. And all charging plugs/sockets should be an industry standard. Until some of these things or similar start to happen then electric cars are just a novelty in my opinion.

You don't have to find a petrol station whose nozzle fits your car.

Completely agree with standardising.
    But how?
    Tesla's system seems to be the most efficient but is proprietary. Yet they also have the backbone of a network, which is a genuinely impressive achievement.
    Maybe one way to boost EV would be for Tesla to license it's system: that would definitely boost their market value; It could come with an obligation for manufacturers using the system to develop a part of the charging network proportionate to the number of E-cars produced, so as not to clog the charging network at the expense of Tesla owners.

Developing a multi standards network is another, less efficient way.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why don't new housing developments have to have sufficient charging facilities at least for the amount of cars that will be resident there. All new housing should have to be automatically equipped with vehicle charging points. And all charging plugs/sockets should be an industry standard. Until some of these things or similar start to happen then electric cars are just a novelty in my opinion.

This is a fundamental key part of the problem and challenge I think.

Friends who live on new or recent housing developments, even in large, expensive four bedroom houses, don't actually have parking on their own property - it is twenty feet away in a covered area that serves several houses if that makes sense. So as a result, they cannot at this point in time, charge any car at home.

Obviously stretching cables across footpaths or shared driveway and parking areas is a no-no, so charging points will need to be installed in these shared areas. The developer is long gone, but will have certain restrictions on use and change to the development in place, so the directives and legislation will have to come from Government.

It already feels like the Government and country is several years behind where it should be in respect of all this.

But then it feels like we have wasted four years in many areas of course. With more to come.
    So clever my foot fell off.

But it is too late, not enough strategic thought was put in when it all started. So the charging network has becone a key technology differentiator, with Tesla way ahead of the game and hoovering up the sales as a result of recognising that charging would be an issue, and investing heavily in it.
    Whilst the government is keen on targets, I cannot see them meddling in a competetive market for the cars and the charging, which are now inextricably linked.
    Want fast, available, free charging? Only one e-car brand really offers this.

Craftsman
    OP - from an iPace ownership POV, have a search of the forum as I remember a thread by an owner (or multiple owners) who were experiencing all sorts of weird quirks and bugs with the electronics including an instance of the car locking an owner out because for some reason it thought it had been stolen and put inside a shipping container.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    This is a fundamental key part of the problem and challenge I think.

Friends who live on new or recent housing developments, even in large, expensive four bedroom houses, don't actually have parking on their own property - it is twenty feet away in a covered area that serves several houses if that makes sense................
    Well it wouldn't make sense to me, and I'd never buy such a house. But then newer developments with postage sized gardens, and so called 'detached' houses you could hardly walk between, wouldn't appeal in general.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

I know of three Moathouse developments around here, all units have individual charging points. And in this area £200,000 buys a very nice 3/4 bedroom house.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    I know of three Moathouse developments around here, all units have individual charging points. And in this area £200,000 buys a very nice 3/4 bedroom house.
    Thats a good thing then. Haven't seen any around this way. Nice prices btw.

Master

Jaguar I-PACE

I am only 3 weeks into EV ownership, but so far it’s working well for us. We do have off street parking and a charging point installed which makes for easy charging. We don’t tend to drive in excess of the car’’s 200 or so miles range more than a couple of times a year so charging on the go is not a primary concern or us though.
    It’s easy to mock the EV shortcomings such as the range being less than advertised and different types of charging sockets, but in reality it’s not so different to ICE vehicles. How many ICE cars do their stated mpg, and there are various fuel pumps for diesel, regular unleaded, super unleaded etc which whilst they might all fit, you won’t want to use the wrong one.
    EV cars are not right for everyone but make sense for a lot of people. The average annual mileage is less than 10k per annum or 200 miles a week. That’s 1 or 2 home charges a week if you have a charger. If you are regularly driving 200+ miles a day and you have to park on the street then an EV isn’t for you.
    The Tesla chargers clearly have an advantage at the moment, but having brand-specific charging points is totally idiotic and ought to be discouraged. Imagine if every manufacturer went down this path? There is a need for some consolidation and simplification in the charging, but you only have to look on the likes of zap map to see that there are actually a lot more public charging points than people realise. Factor in that most people will set off with a full charge and the provision is not so out of step with demand.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by stuie-t; 13th February 2020 at 18:35.

Craftsman
    Will be replacing my car (BMW 440) this year so 'interested' in discussions like these ...

My car either goes nowhere all week or I'll drive to London or Edinburgh (from Cheshire so 200 / 230 miles each way) - naturally as I'm working I don't want to have to stop for an hour on top of the 3-4 hour drive so would need something that can do it in one hit; i.e. something expensive - the 440 list was around 45k but the cars that can do what I need are 70k+

And whilst home charging would be sorted out, I've then the issue at the other end ...

Our Edinburgh office has a couple of charge points but I see the same two cars parked there every visit.

Likewise those at hotels seem to have a car parked / plugged in all night.

What's it like in the real world regarding aggravation / confrontation in getting people to move their cars to free up the chargers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCansell View Post
    Will be replacing my car (BMW 440) this year so 'interested' in discussions like these ...

My car either goes nowhere all week or I'll drive to London or Edinburgh (from Cheshire so 200 / 230 miles each way) - naturally as I'm working I don't want to have to stop for an hour on top of the 3-4 hour drive so would need something that can do it in one hit; i.e. something expensive - the 440 list was around 45k but the cars that can do what I need are 70k+

And whilst home charging would be sorted out, I've then the issue at the other end ...

Our Edinburgh office has a couple of charge points but I see the same two cars parked there every visit.

Likewise those at hotels seem to have a car parked / plugged in all night.

What's it like in the real world regarding aggravation / confrontation in getting people to move their cars to free up the chargers?
    I suppose it’s first come first served. Which could leave you high and dry so to speak.

We have an SE, great car, does everything it should very well, it gets used every day (about 50 miles) and my wife has a charge point at work so it is always fully charged, dealers are completely useless and haven't got a clue about the cars, my guess is its turkeys for Christmas when it comes to EV cars and traditional dealers, very little servicing and margins are tight. We got it on a two year lease.

One thing, the revenue are refusing to acknowledge the 0% BIK on EV's as the government has not put it into law yet, even though it was announced and has been heavily promoted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    We have an SE, great car, does everything it should very well, it gets used every day (about 50 miles) and my wife has a charge point at work so it is always fully charged, dealers are completely useless and haven't got a clue about the cars, my guess is its turkeys for Christmas when it comes to EV cars and traditional dealers, very little servicing and margins are tight. We got it on a two year lease.

One thing, the revenue are refusing to acknowledge the 0% BIK on EV's as the government has not put it into law yet, even though it was announced and has been heavily promoted.
    Is that right? I would only be buying to take advantage of the 0%...does that mean I must wait until it is in law?

Is there still potential for this to change at the budget?

Is that right? I would only be buying to take advantage of the 0%...does that mean I must wait until it is in law?

Is there still potential for this to change at the budget?

I cant see them reneging, to many cars have been sold because of this, I think HMRC are just being dicks,

I cant see them reneging, to many cars have been sold because of this, I think HMRC are just being dicks,
    I like your optimism but I wouldn't be so sure.

Although HMRC being dicks has a certain ring to it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Have just done some reading on it. Indeed doesn't seem certain at all, although all the leasing companies are talking about it like it is definitely happening, I cannot find official HMRC source to confirm.

Given we are 6 weeks away from April, rather frustrating not to know! I guess the government has had other things on its mind. New chancellor now in, so who knows which way this could go.

Master
    Well they did a massive U-turn on diesels so nothing is beyond them.

Craftsman
    My brother loves his iPace. Real world range in mixed driving including London traffic and motorway is 218miles over 9000 miles. No issues on warranty in the six months he's had it. Only issues are how appalling the Jaguar dealers are - I did the negotiation locally in the NW because no dealers in Essex or London would call him back or give him a sensible test drive - and how variable the charging network is. A holiday trip to Cornwall was very challenging and a PITA to find anywhere to charge (and where the charger was actually working) so he said. He regularly goes to Bluewater (rather him than me) and on two occasions every one of the chargers has not been working and his complaint has been met with "yeah we know, we're waiting for the engineers to tell us when they're coming". There is no way without a seismic shift in charging and battery tech and public charger network that ICE cars are getting replaced in the next 10-15 years.

Master
    if there is a sudden move to electric - how can the limited infrastructure cope? I go out for a day to meet say 100 TZ members in Chester and we all turn up in electric vehicles - I'm guessing the charging facilities are limited. I know it's an extreme example but that is what I would be thinking about. The chargers should have some kind of signal that indicates charging is finished and the vehicle needs to be removed or incur a parking penalty. I presume that doesn't happen. I'm a prime candidate for an electric vehicle but until all this sorted I'll pass. I presume home charging isn't a wall plug and an IEC lead?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    if there is a sudden move to electric - how can the limited infrastructure cope? I go out for a day to meet say 100 TZ members in Chester and we all turn up in electric vehicles - I'm guessing the charging facilities are limited. I know it's an extreme example but that is what I would be thinking about. The chargers should have some kind of signal that indicates charging is finished and the vehicle needs to be removed or incur a parking penalty. I presume that doesn't happen. I'm a prime candidate for an electric vehicle but until all this sorted I'll pass. I presume home charging isn't a wall plug and an IEC lead?
    Why would have to charge in Chester though? What’s wrong with making a motorway stop enroute to top up and then do the same on the way home if needed.
    Regards penalties for staying in a charger after your vehicle is fully charged, I believe Tesla already do this.

Master

Jaguar I-PACE

Polar also has an overstay charge if you stay too long. The issue with availability is probably mainly with the destination chargers where there is often no cost.
    It was quite straight forward getting a Pod Point charger installed at home and cost £300 after the government grant. I initially tried to get one through ChargedEV but they were a nightmare and wanted all kinds of work done on our electricity supply first. Pod Point got it done without even turning the electric off!

Master
    How many of us would stop on the motorway? My point is that there are plenty of petrol stations but at the moment if eg 50 electric vehicles turn up at a destination, will there be facilities for 50 electric vehicles to be charged within that destination maybe an area of a square mile? thanks for the Pod Point info. Be interesting to see how all this is going to develop as the car debate heats up. Do the oil companies have a stake in the charging market?
    Last edited by mrushton; 14th February 2020 at 12:45.

Read on other threads that under-road charging is the way forward. Can’t see it happening by the time EV are the norm TBH.

How many of us would stop on the motorway? My point is that there are plenty of petrol stations but at the moment if eg 50 electric vehicles turn up at a destination, will there be facilities for 50 electric vehicles to be charged within that destination maybe an area of a square mile? thanks for the Pod Point info. Be interesting to see how all this is going to develop as the car debate heats up. Do the oil companies have a stake in the charging market?
    And if like current situation, motorways will always be more expensive.

Master
    Review of one on Harry's garage on you tube. Highlights the positives and negatives of electric ownership

Master
    Review of one on Harry's garage on you tube. Highlights the positives and negatives of electric ownership
    Thank you, this was pointed out in post 3 and I did watch it. Very useful video.

By way of an update, I have put in an order for an ..... AUDI!

After crunching the numbers and reading the reviews, I felt that I do not quite want to 'invest' so much into an electric car yet. We will have to retain a decent car for long distance alongside it and so this will be a 2-year trial of electric. Got a reasonably good deal on the Audi.

Looking forward to the experience, if it works then we may well go electric for the other car (which would need to be longer range / Tesla!).

Blog Entries
    I am literally about to press the button on an HSE through my business.

I will charge at work and in the garage at home. 99% of the time I do not venture more than 100 miles from home in a day and if I do head out far we will just use wifeys car.

The Harry garage thing......well that’s not what to do, research research and research again and put the apps on ya phone.

Looking forward to it.

Pitch

Master
    Good choice with the HSE.

Makes so much sense through business with the tax rules changing.

Would be interesting to hear how you get on when you get it. When do you expect delivery?

Blog Entries
    I will lease through the business and currently considering stock motor spec which I can have next month or factory order which is 12-16 weeks.

Will keep you posted.

Pitch

Master
    I went factory order. Funnily enough it was cheaper than getting a stock one.

Of course different brand but something to explore.

Master
    I went factory order. Funnily enough it was cheaper than getting a stock one.

Of course different brand but something to explore.

The danger with factory order is you get tempted with the options list. I went for the tour pack, 360 camera, head up display, storage pack, remote air con and metallic paint on my e-tron. I probably shouldn’t have bothered with the 360 camera as I just use the reversing one. Some things annoyed me like the inability to have heated wheel and tour pack, and no Blind spot monitors without getting the whole city pack. Apparently we can thank the new harmonised wtlp certification for this, as each permutation of equipment has to be re-certified.

Master
    I thought blind spot was standard? Whoops!

Master
    I thought blind spot was standard? Whoops!

Only standard on the launch edition

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Apparently we can thank the VAG group in totality for the necessity of needing the new harmonised wtlp certification for this, as each permutation of equipment has to be re-certified.
    FTFY