I know we’ve a few BTLers on here, so here’s a question.

Bit of background first. A month or two ago I had been out to view a cottage in my local area that popped up for sale.

Nothing special — two bedroom, very small, needed modernising and had a few signs of damp (old stone construction) but a perfectly good project and very convenient to town, literally a 2 minute walk. I bid 77k or thereabouts but was knocked out of the bidding at that point.

Thought no more of it, but fast forward to the weekend and I was out with the same agent and asked her about the previous house. She looked it up on her phone and said it went for 94k, with two Airbnb people slogging it out to purchase it. I was able to glean that these guys have a portfolio of these, all on Airbnb.

Now, we live in an unremarkable town in middle of Northern Ireland, no tourism really to speak of, though I suppose if you were doing a tour of Ireland you may pass through at some point.

This has naturally perked my interest and I’m wondering if I’m missing something, so my question — anyone here Airbnb-ing a property rather than just renting it out?