closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about the stock markets

That chart is played in fast forward when it comes to crypto.

Carnage to come.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I probably only find one deal every year that gives me a decent roi.
    Of course it’s not easy, everyone’s looking for the quick buck, vast profits etc etc. Needle in a haystack definitely springs to mind.
    In my personal experience i have to be proactive instead of reactive. I therefore actively try to make something out of nothing rather than respond to say a listing online, property auction etc.
    In the case of the garages I bought recently, I knew of the site for a while and had noticed 4 garages had appeared to be dumped full of rubbish for years. I went on the land registry and found out who the owner was. I then proceeded to knock on his door at home and offered to buy the 4 garages full of rubbish as maybe he didn’t have the inclination to clear them or whatever. To my surprise he asked would I like to buy them all..I jumped at the chance.
    Clear example of being pro active and doing something others may not necessarily do by knocking at the chaps home. Worst he could of said is no, they are not for sale.
    That’s not to say you can’t see excellent returns via traditional means. I was very quick off the mark when purchasing a double garage advertised by a traditional estate agent again in the south east London area at £20k. (Estate agent told me he could have sold it 10 times that day but I was first.) Have had it rented for £250 pcm for the past 3 years which is a 15% yield. £3k a year on an outlay of £20k is fantastic imo.
    I doubt my investment strategy would work for everyone but if anyone would like to know my Inspiration, I believe you would find the following chap very interesting...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.f...8-00144feab7de

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I find it amazing that there are still people out there who will dispose of assets at well below market price when establishing the market price of almost anything is easy these days in a few minutes with a bit of Googling.

Your tale reminds me of a bloke who door knocked my dear old nan and relived her of thousands to clear her gutters ...

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

Your tale reminds me of a block who door knocked my dear old nan and relived her of thousands to clear her gutters ...
    Oh really? The chap I bought them from is relatively young and of sound mind. Around 45/50 I’d say. He said he had neither the time nor inclination to micro manage the tenants/maintenance of the site and was extremely happy to be selling them. As you may have read in my “tale”, I only wanted to buy 4. Said 4 had had a couple of tonnes of rubbish dumped in them over the years and were an eyesore which no doubt attracted vermin etc. The site is now rubbish free, neighbours are happy, seller is happy and I’m happy.
    Please don’t tar me with comparisons of low life’s who relieve elderly people of their life savings under the pretence of a con.
    In fact, seeing as the op was initially talking about stocks and shares, is it not the case that for every person that makes money in the stock market, many others lose? I’m not well versed in said matters so may be wrong but I’d say there’s probably more skullduggery with so called bankers/brokers etc then what I do...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Oh really? The chap I bought them from is relatively young and of sound mind. Around 45/50 I’d say. He said he had neither the time nor inclination to micro manage the tenants/maintenance of the site and was extremely happy to be selling them. As you may have read in my “tale”, I only wanted to buy 4. Said 4 had had a couple of tonnes of rubbish dumped in them over the years and were an eyesore which no doubt attracted vermin etc. The site is now rubbish free, neighbours are happy, seller is happy and I’m happy.
    Please don’t tar me with comparisons of low life’s who relieve elderly people of their life savings under the pretence of a con.
    In fact, seeing as the op was initially talking about stocks and shares, is it not the case that for every person that makes money in the stock market, many others lose? I’m not well versed in said matters so may be wrong but I’d say there’s probably more skullduggery with so called bankers/brokers etc then what I do...

Well the old adage is buy low sell high ... I guess there are people around with more money than sense willing to sell assets at well below market price. Well done for finding one.

Had they guy knocked you back and sold via an agent I presume he’d have got your current asking price.

It´s a fact that even just in recent times no end of market manipulations and scandals, frauds on a global level have been exposed everything from LIBOR manipulation, Client account funds being used to bolster corporate market positions, Algos front running markets, the fraud, mis selling and manipulation at the root of 2008 crash which lost folks money, homes and lives in some cases. That was essentially a fraud on a global level, the hand maidens of which the Credit rating Agencies were never punished and are still in business. Interestingly iirc Rishi Sunak the new Chancellor was a derivatives trader at the time and played a part in punting out re hypothecated loans comprising dodgy mortgage debt which eventually brought the system to it´s knees and had to be bailed out by the the tax payers billions...hasn´t Rishi done well for himself.

Even the worst gutter cleaners and drive gravellers have nothing on the high finance boys imho also they don´t end up getting invited into the structure-fabric of the system to run it and make the rules, very seldom come a cropper, and can´t match the City for ruthless greed.

Though fwiw I personally don´t think the comparison with Yeti is deserved.
    Last edited by Passenger; 1st March 2020 at 11:38.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    It´s a fact that even just in recent times no end of market manipulations and scandals, frauds on a global level have been exposed everything from LIBOR manipulation, Client account funds being used to bolster corporate market positions, Algos front running markets, the fraud, mis selling and manipulation at the root of 2008 crash which lost folks money, homes and lives in some cases. That was essentially a fraud on a global level, the hand maidens of which the Credit rating Agencies were never punished and are still in business. Interestingly iirc Rishi Sunak the new Chancellor was a derivatives trader at the time and played a part in punting out re hypothecated loans comprising dodgy mortgage debt which eventually brought the system to it´s knees and had to be bailed out by the the tax payers billions...hasn´t Rishi done well for himself.

Even the worst gutter cleaners and drive gravellers have nothing on the high finance boys imho also they don´t end up getting invited into the structure-fabric of the system to run it and make the rules, very seldom come a cropper, and can´t match the City for ruthless greed.

Though fwiw I personally don´t think the comparison with Yeti is deserved.
    Noted and apologies. That wasn’t my intention to disparage, it was the door knocking that surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Well the old adage is buy low sell high ... I guess there are people around with more money than sense willing to sell assets at well below market price. Well done for finding one.

Had they guy knocked you back and sold via an agent I presume he’d have got your current asking price.
    Depending upon what he paid for the garages he might be very happy with the deal even if seems to have sold below the market price for a quick and painless transaction.

Yeti did well, fair play to him.

Often if you want something you have to put yourself out there.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    NCYT

Great place to be since yesterday and next week and next month who’s knows where it’ll go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Finally I had a little punt on this yesterday at 93.8p
    But I’m now out again at £1.08
    Thanks for putting it in my mind Kerry
    Odds were stacked on a bounce today If only to around £1.16
    Could go higher and I hope it does for you guys

Quote Originally Posted by speedypro1111 View Post
    Finally I had a little punt on this yesterday at 93.8p
    But I’m now out again at £1.08
    Thanks for putting it in my mind Kerry
    Odds were stacked on a bounce today If only to around £1.16
    Could go higher and I hope it does for you guys
    Basic question...how do you do short term share trading...I dabbled in crypto, didn’t do that well but found it entertaining. Can I do the same with shares?

Master
    You can...you just need a trading account at e.g. Interactive Investor or similar.

I.G index is what I use
    But you could use any of the online share trading sites to do day trading

I personally like ig index as it has free charting software

FTSE in taking another big hit today. Now below 6500.

It is a brave man who buys the dip.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    FTSE in taking another big hit today. Now below 6500.

I am extraordinarily tempted to buy a ftse100 tracker. Not been this low since mid 2016?

Buys the dip/catches a falling knife.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I am extraordinarily tempted to buy a ftse100 tracker. Not been this low since mid 2016?

Early 2003 and then early 2009 we had 3,500 .... In early 2016 we had 5,700.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Early 2003 and then early 2009 we had 3,500 .... In early 2016 we had 5,700.
    You will always find a point in time lower - I was simply stating the last time we were this low and I find that tempting.

Q1 2016 (when we were as low as the 5700 was), banks were under huge pressure and oil price was rising. Q1 2016 was the '12' on the dip chart and I reckon summer was the '14'.

Master
    You will always find a point in time lower - I was simply stating the last time we were this low and I find that tempting.

Q1 2016 (when we were as low as the 5700 was), banks were under huge pressure and oil price was rising. Q1 2016 was the '12' on the dip chart and I reckon summer was the '14'.
    I was simply giving a little context for others to the idea that 6,500 is necessarily 'cheap'.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I was simply giving a little context for others to the idea that 6,500 is necessarily 'cheap'.
    Fair enough

Master
    now comes the "greed and fear"

"dead cat bounce"

"never catch a falling knife"

and all that

There are 2 nice Zenith Chronos on SC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    now comes the "greed and fear"

"dead cat bounce"

"never catch a falling knife"

and all that

There are 2 nice Zenith Chronos on SC!!!
    hehe, i think i will go with a prudent dollar average buy strategy over the coming month or so - left over ISA cap to utilise.

Master
    hehe, i think i will go with a prudent dollar average buy strategy over the coming month or so - left over ISA cap to utilise.
    "fortune favours the brave"

"fortune favours the brave"
    “eventually”

Master
    I think there’s bound to be a bounce or two, I also think there’s worse to come - so much of the stock market is based on sentiment in the short term. Right now any news is more likely to be negative than positive.

The markets will come good again. If I was looking to invest I’d hedge my bets - pound cost average it. Instead of monthly over years, maybe divide my amount by 2,3 or 4. Say put a quarter in now, then in a week or two do another quarter. I wouldn’t go all in, in one go as we’re dealing with the Unknown. No one actually knows how this will play out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m in the process of selling an investment property, when the money arrives I’m buying stock, probably on a monthly basis for the next year until it’s all invested.

Speaking primarily about the U.S. economy, there is plenty of underlying strength to support strong investment...except for the looming impact of the coronavirus.

Corporate earnings have been strong, consumer buying and confidence high, unemployment at record lows, GDP trends are healthy, interest rates low, etc.

If the world can get control of this pandemic before it creates irreversible havoc to the world economy, I will be watching very closely for THAT signal to jump back into the market "all in," to ride the wave back up.

But then, what do I know!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Speaking primarily about the U.S. economy, there is plenty of underlying strength to support strong investment...except for the looming impact of the coronavirus.

Corporate earnings have been strong, consumer buying and confidence high, unemployment at record lows, GDP trends are healthy, interest rates low, etc.

If the world can get control of this pandemic before it creates irreversible havoc to the world economy, I will be watching very closely for THAT signal to jump back into the market "all in," to ride the wave back up.

I think broadly speaking you´re right PC, though the current administrations handling-mishandling-complete failure to have a handle on the Virus is rather giving me reason for concern, I hear folks with symptoms can´t even get tested and even when tested the results at least on a couple of occasions have been wrong and people with the disease have been cleared to go home, back out into the general population. Very worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

The corporate debt bubble in America is very scary right now. That's a huge underlying weakness just sat there waiting to pop.

^yep that and the $5 trillion increase in national debt the orange one has overseen in his first term. That's draining the swamp for you!

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    ^yep that and the $5 trillion increase in national debt the orange one has overseen in his first term. That's draining the swamp for you!
    Yes, I know, but I've been listening to the drums pounding about the rising national debt since JFK was in office!

And yes, I was there back then, still in high school, but aware of U.S. economic conditions.
    Last edited by pacifichrono; 6th March 2020 at 22:16.

Eeeh when Kennedy were a lad...

Just joshing PC, fwiw I reckon you did well to duck out when you did.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Which is more contagious, panic or covid-19?
    Journalist bluster is pretty viral too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Question about the stock markets

They will be jumping from the buildings today.

They will be jumping from the buildings today.
    The main building being Coq d'Argent

That is the Rolex bubble killed off*. It may take 3-6 months but die it will. Good riddance.

* ceramic Daytona as the exception.

That is the Rolex bubble killed off*. It may take 3-6 months but die it will. Good riddance.

* ceramic Daytona as the exception.

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Why?
    I have no idea either why that would be the case either. I guess he’s thinking the Asian demand might drive demand down and supply of sports models will therefore increase. I doubt this. After the last financial crisis we saw a significant increase in the price of luxury goods.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Why?
    Because sentiment for anything investable (wine, art, classic cars, watches etc...) will collapse, especially as all of the above are in bubble territory.

If you’ve just lost 25% on your pension and any shares you hold, you are going to think twice about spending £12k on an LV or Batman.

Cash is king at the moment.

You've only temporarily lost that 25% though. What goes down goes up so arguably buying discounted shares is a great option

Master
    I've put another £20k into the market this morning ........ will continue over the next few weeks

You can never guess the bottom..........but ....worth a punt...... for a medium term gain

but I always "stock pick"

have done since I retired over 20 years ago

(it's a great time for "gamblers" - but can you ever beat "the market")
    Last edited by BillN; 9th March 2020 at 12:19.

I've put another £20k into the market this morning ........ will continue over the next few weeks

You can never guess the bottom..........but ....worth a punt...... for a medium term gain

but I always "stock pick"

have done since I retired over 20 years ago

(it's a great time for "gamblers" - but can you ever beat "the market")
    What did you pile into May I ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    After the last financial crisis we saw a significant increase in the price of luxury goods.
    ‘AFTER’ is the key word.

I bought my house in 2007 in desirable leafy SW London.

I had it valued for mortgage purposes in 2009, just after the crash. It was valued 25% less than I paid for it.

Yes, house prices and luxury goods did recover sometime AFTER the last crash, and may recover after this crash.

But the effects of this crash have not even started yet, and we are certainty not in the ‘AFTER’ phase.

Plus, unlike 2009 this is both a supply and demand style crash which could get a lot uglier if you read some of the commentary on the FT.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    What did you pile into May I ask?
    I'm not prepared to state what I bought, I would not want to influence anyone either way

but I am prepared for another 5% fall......... and will happily put another £20k in next week, even if the market falls further

dipping below 5700 seems very much on now for the ftse100 this week.

Master
    dipping below 5700 seems very much on now for the ftse100 this week.
    all the analysts are certainly talking the markets down

Listening to CNN, BBC world and Sky here in S Africa

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    What goes down goes up
    Not if you invested in the Japanese stock market in 1989.

31 years later and it is still 50% less than its 1989 peak.

Or the the FTSE which has had no growth since January 2000, but granted you will have benefited from dividends.

Not if you invested in the Japanese stock market in 1989.

31 years later and it is still 50% less than its 1989 peak.

Or the the FTSE which has had no growth since January 2000, but granted you will have benefited from dividends.
    The issue is not many are giving great dividend. Shell is still one of the best, but they're getting hammered today with the new oil price war in full swing. Cannot see that recovering anytime soon.

‘AFTER’ is the key word.

I bought my house in 2007 in desirable leafy SW London.

I had it valued for mortgage purposes in 2009, just after the crash. It was valued 25% less than I paid for it.

Yes, house prices and luxury goods did recover sometime AFTER the last crash, and may recover after this crash.

But the effects of this crash have not even started yet, and we are certainty not in the ‘AFTER’ phase.

Plus, unlike 2009 this is both a supply and demand style crash which could get a lot uglier if you read some of the commentary on the FT.
    This is right.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    You've only temporarily lost that 25% though. What goes down goes up so arguably buying discounted shares is a great option
    Depends. If you're due to retire anytime soon it isn't temporary. People as they age should change the risk profiles on their employer and private pensions but many don't.

You say discounted shares, others will call the prior prices inflated and the current prices accurate, maybe even closer to accurate, not discounted.