closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A couple of days in Berlin -- what not to miss?

Question A couple of days in Berlin -- what not to miss?

Asking mainly from a WIS angle, but any non-WIS recommendations (food, art, culture, sights etc) are very welcome, too! Danke in advance!

I think these a couple of threads in this already. But breakfast at the parliament building, book first, skip the queue don’t forget to take your passport. And Sunday buffet breakfast at the TV tower, again book online first.

My favourite European capital - I've been many times.

The Berlin Film Museum is excellent and in English, the Reichstag and Brandenburg Gate well worth a visit, TV Tower a must, Checkpoint Charlie Museum of course, the Science Museum is also fantastic and depending on weather, a river sightseeing trip is very pleasant.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I lived there for a couple of years

Fernsehturm (TV tower) is worth a trip if its a nice day, mauerpark is quite nice for a wander on a Sunday with lots of nice brunch places (try cafe krone), charlottenburg is more like West end London - you can go and see the broken church and there's a nice bar called the monkey bar that overlooks the zoo

Cafe am neuensee if my fave spot when the weather is good

Plenty of nice bars in prenzlauer berg, head for kollwitzplatz, Theres a nice market on a Saturday.

Lots of museums too, the topography of terror is good, as are lots of the wall experience museums around checkpoint Charlie

Sent from my SM-G977B using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Asking mainly from a WIS angle, but any non-WIS recommendations (food, art, culture, sights etc) are very welcome, too! Danke in advance!
    My favourite EU city. Some of my highlights

Teufelsberg - abandoned cold war spy station perched on a hill on the outskirts. Beautiful views, fantastic giant graffiti, amazing photography ops.
    Topography of terror - free museum about many of Berlin's darker times, v insightful and moving.
    Stasi museum - old headquarters of secret police - again brings dark history to life.
    Kreuzberg bars - https://theculturetrip.com/europe/ge...rlin-by-night/

(Teufelsberg)

Last edited by adrianwong; 11th February 2020 at 11:32.

Baumkuchen
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Ask CB about schokobarken it was an edible treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Baumkuchen
    Funnily enough, Tuesday is Baumkuchen day in these parts.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    Ask CB about schokobarken it was an edible treat.
    I used to live almost next door to this place:

https://www.stilinberlin.de/2012/02/...hokoladen.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post

Teufelsberg - abandoned cold war spy station perched on a hill on the outskirts. Beautiful views, fantastic giant graffiti, amazing photography ops.
    I spent 2 years at Gatow in the 80s which housed 26 signals unit that supplied the staff for there. There was so many well spoken very highly educated people and so so many hot women. .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If you're a petrolhead - Classic Remise Berlin is the place you have to check.

Beside some obvious destinations, like: the Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, Museum Island, Tempelhof airport.
    You have to try the "Bratwurst" sausage - but keep an eye for your stomach :)

Carlton-Browne recommended Henne to me when I went (if you like chicken) This was originally on the East side and the Berlin wall ran right next to it. The chicken was amazing tasting. We sat outside and you could just imagine the SS there enjoying a beer and chicken too. Full of history.
    Certainly recommend here

http://www.henne-berlin.de/eng/

Last edited by Rod; 11th February 2020 at 17:01.

Craftsman
    I'd highly recommend doing the Reichstag dome tour around sunset, it's do-able this time of year and fantastic. Do the Brandenburg gate both at night and in the day time if possible.

Also I've really enjoyed both tours of Tempelhof airport I've been, check the website for the days they're running tours. Pretty spectacular building.

Personally, I didn't rate Checkpoint Charlie but YMMV. I highly rate the Technikmuseum though.

Depending on how heavy you want the trip to be, Sachsenhausen is reachable (just) via the u-Bahn system and a short walk, and Topography of Terror is a rather thought provoking museum too.

Personally, I didn't rate Checkpoint Charlie but YMMV. I highly rate the Technikmuseum though.

Food wise, would agree with a trip to the TV tower and also I thought the Hofbräuhaus was pretty good fun.

Grand Master
    Kit Kat Club
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Kit Kat Club
    Have you been?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Have you been?
    I have been refused entry twice there despite making quite an effort 2nd time round.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I have been refused entry twice there despite making quite an effort 2nd time round.
    That's one up on me then - 1 failed attempt. I suspect we're not their core business...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Carlton-Browne recommended Henne to me when I went (if you like chicken) This was originally on the East side and the Berlin wall ran right next to it. The chicken was amazing tasting. We sat outside and you could just rimagine the SS there enjoying a beer and chicken too. Full of history.
    Certainly recommend here

http://www.henne-berlin.de/eng/

Seconded!
    Visited this excellent place with CB
    Recommend it.
    Plus a boat trip around the city

Blog Entries
    Do not think the Pergamon Museum has been mentioned - I found it amazing, especially the large artefacts from Babylon and Asia Minor.

https://www.smb.museum/en/museums-in...seum/home.html

Me and a few friends from the conference went to to a place called Bauer Stuben - best Roast Pork Schank ever. The Duck was also apparently very good - but I did not try it. Great Weissbier.
    Last edited by Franco; 11th February 2020 at 20:42.

Master
    I spent the best 3 years of my military career in Berlin during the late 80's early 90's. The best time of my life, never been back, though it's on my bucket list.

Thanks for all the suggestions and links (and sorry for being repetitive and not searching the forum before posting). I'll go through all of them in detail once I get to the actual planning. Adult venue suggestions very welcome, as long as they don't come with techno.

And if in need of breakfast or coffee and cake, try the Lieraturhaus just off Ku’damm
    Another of CB’s recommendations that is an excellent place, not far from all the major AD’s

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    And if in need of breakfast or coffee and cake, try the Lieraturhaus just off Ku’damm
    Another of CB’s recommendations that is an excellent place, not far from all the major AD’s
    I should add that to my list on the other thread - we met some visitors there on Saturday.