closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Oyster Perpetual eye candy

Rolex Oyster Perpetual eye candy

So I had this OP not long ago for some time back home, and decided to make few shots of it for a review. Very understated and not in your face Rolex with your tipical Jubillee, cyclops and flutted bezel. Really like that BTW, flies so much under the radar and one of 'go anywhere, do anything watches'. I know we (watch guys) love to use that term for Reversos, Navitimers and Speedys, but this is the way to go. Slim, smallish (too small for my wrists to be honest), brushed (polished sides that no one sees and ok - polished bezel) and bulletproof case and movement. No complications, hardly anything can go wrong. So here are some of the shots, hope you like them

Beautiful images, and a lovely, all-purpose watch.

Lovely shots. I've always thought that the OPs are underrated watches, particularly this model and the lovely white 114300 that came out back in 2018.

Master
    Lovely watch and great pictures - not your typical iPhone selfies :)

Journeyman
    Woa, very nice pics and overall presentation

Craftsman
    The 114300s are lovely, nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I would not say it looks too small for your wrist, in fact for that style of watch I would say the size looks perfect on you.

Craftsman
    That is a beauty, the photos definitely do it justice.

Master
    Looks great. Question though. I've never seen that model (well, most rolex models!) in the flesh, so have those photos gone through lightroom etc?
    Last edited by hafle; 10th February 2020 at 20:50.

Thank you guys, appreciate all of your comments

Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post
    Lovely shots. I've always thought that the OPs are underrated watches, particularly this model and the lovely white 114300 that came out back in 2018.
    Tried that one as well

Also fantastic model, there is something in that white Rolex models....

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I would not say it looks too small for your wrist, in fact for that style of watch I would say the size looks perfect on you.
    Don't say that, my wallet will get a seizure

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Looks great. Question though. I've never seen that model (well, most rolex models!) in the flesh, so have those photos gone through lightroom etc?
    Thanx. Yes, all photos have gone trough Lightroom, but the majority of the work was done with lens polarizer. The only bad thing about those OP models (wrong, any Rolex models) is a lack of AR coating. I don't know why Rolex keeps doing this, crystals are flat and no AR is horrible in most cases. So yes, lens polarizer did help with that. But on the white dial OP shot above I didn't use it.

Master
    My wife has the OP 31 mm Grape dial, its a lovely looking watch and in her opinion” just the right size”. I could see myself getting a 39 mm in the future

Steve

Ps Stunning photography

Master
    Great shots. I can only assume your wrists are roughly twice the size of mine!

Craftsman
    Very nice watch, great pictures too. I bet they too a while to setup and shoot like that.

Absolutely stunning photos of a very attractive watch!

I keep thinking of taking some ‘proper’ photos of my collection, using a proper camera, lighting and stuff. Then someone posts something like this and I realise I’m just not good enough! Got to admire the level of photographic talent on display though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great photos but that watch is a touch too small on you.

Craftsman
    Wow those photos are incredible!
    I have to say I think it looks good on your wrist!
    It's definitely a beautiful watch, I agree with your sentiments.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Thank you for posting those amazing photographs.

I am disappointed that Rolex still do not AR coat their sapphire crystals. While a outer coating can be easily damaged, just on the underside would be beneficial.

Now I’m wondering if Tudor use AR?

Dave
    Last edited by dforgrieve; 11th February 2020 at 01:56.

Master
    The OP is a lovely watch and the only Rolex model I would consider out of their current range.

I think the 36mm version is the perfect size for this style of watch, preferably white dial, and would work for any situation.

Superb photos!

Absolutely lovely looking thing - personally I think that’s about the best looking modern Rolex I’ve seen

Cracking work with those strap combos as well

Again, thank you for your great comments guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Great shots. I can only assume your wrists are roughly twice the size of mine!
    Tnx. Well, about 7'' to 7,5'', nothing too extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    Very nice watch, great pictures too. I bet they too a while to setup and shoot like that.
    Not really actually. I'm taking shots for a while now, so I pretty much know when the light is at it's peak to take them. I do however use a static halogen light in a softbox as a second light source, just to highlight the shadows a bit.
    But it's a trial and error method. Take a shot, look at it, repeat 30 times to make it good

Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    Absolutely stunning photos of a very attractive watch!

I keep thinking of taking some ‘proper’ photos of my collection, using a proper camera, lighting and stuff. Then someone posts something like this and I realise I’m just not good enough! Got to admire the level of photographic talent on display though.
    Tnx man, really appreciate the comment, but I'm not a pro photographer, I usually do this as a therapeutic way to keep my mind occupied. So by all means, use a camera (any camera with Manual settings), light source and start shooting. With every shot you'll get better and better. It's not really about the gear, or lens or camera body or a watch...light is the 90% of the whole story. So keep that shutter rollin'. :)

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Great photos but that watch is a touch too small on you.
    I think so also. Juuust a bit

Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve View Post

I am disappointed that Rolex still do not AR coat their sapphire crystals. While a outer coating can be easily damaged, just on the underside would be beneficial.

Dave
    Honestly I really can't think any reason why they are so stubborn to do the underside AR. It would make reading the time so much easier. Now this OP has sunburst anthracite dial with white gold hands. No complications, no date, just three hands. And it's, in some cases very hard to read. The reflections on the dial bounces right off the crystal and you need to tilt your wrist to tell the time.

Great photos and looks fabulous. Can I check what case size it is please? Is it 39mm?

Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve View Post

Dave
    Tudor apply a colourless AR coating to the under side of the crystal.

Beautiful shots of the Rhodium model by the OP, makes me want to go out and buy one.

Craftsman
    Beautiful shots, really impressive.

I love the white OP 39 but it's sadly just too big for my wrists (6,75") - I've toyed with buying and just living with it (I even went on a wait list!) but I know it would ultimately annoy me - such a shame :(

Lovely watch, and great photos. I'd love to know more about your set-up, and see more. Do you post on Insta?

I was Eddie I'd sending you his full portfolio of watches to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Great photos and looks fabulous. Can I check what case size it is please? Is it 39mm?
    He doesn't want to tell us. I am pretty sure it's a 36mm.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    39mm the dial is different on a 36mm

No it isn't a 36mm as that dial isn't available. I actually thought it was a 34mm but that dial isn't available in that size either. Must be a 39mm then. I'm surprised because it looks fine size wise but when I tried a 39mm on it looked almost as big as the DJ41. Far too big imo on my 7.25inch wrists.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No it isn't a 36mm as that dial isn't available. I actually thought it was a 34mm but that dial isn't available in that size either. Must be a 39mm then. I'm surprised because it looks fine size wise but when I tried a 39mm on it looked almost as big as the DJ41. Far too big imo on my 7.25inch wrists.

The OP has posted photos with nice fitting Panerai so I'm pretty sure he has some decent sized wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    The OP has posted photos with nice fitting Panerai so I'm pretty sure he has some decent sized wrists.
    He must have because it looks fine imo.

I bought Mrs K the same a couple of years ago, with the view that she would quickly go off the size and I could nick it... She's neve taken it off!

I think it looks great on Nono, but also cool on a womens slim wrist.

Agreed, I found the 39mm I had wore very large on my 7.25 wrist hence selling it. I imagine the OP must have a very flat 7 inch wrist.

Sorry guys, forgot to mention that. The ref. is 114300, so it's 39mm Oyster Perpetual

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Lovely watch, and great photos. I'd love to know more about your set-up, and see more. Do you post on Insta?

I was Eddie I'd sending you his full portfolio of watches to shoot.
    Yes I do, my insta profile is https://www.instagram.com/portalsatova/ (sorry Eddie if this is against the rules, please feel free to remove the link).

Set up is pretty basic really. Normally I use Canon 750D + Canon 60mm f/:2.8 Macro lens most of the time, paired with one static light (halogen bulb in a lightbox) and remote speedlight to counter the shadows. But I tend to use natural light as much as possible. The weather was ideal these last few weeks, very cloudy with good amount of light and I tend to shot in a room which acts like a giant lightbox (only white matt walls, no color whatsoever).

In that case the only "prop" I use is one of those oval reflectors (you can get them off ebay with matt white surface or reflective, aluminium surface) to get some bounce light if I want to highlight the strap or part of a case.
    Tripod is a must (any tripod will do, I use a Vanguard) and also shutter remote. I use my phone as a viewfinder (camera has WiFi) so I can see in real time what the shot will look like.

This is mostly the procedure for portrait shots, lume shots and night shots are done differently and require more preparation. Not too much, but it is more complicated. Something like this

But as I've said, I'm not a pro photographer, still have a LOT to learn. But I'll give a shot at Eddie's watches no problem
    Last edited by Nono; 11th February 2020 at 13:00.

Great watch and stunning photos!

Chris.

I think it's easily the best-looking Rolex currently available. I went for the blue, and it's phenomenally accurate as well as being beautiful. Size-wise it wears about the same as a 16610.
    Last edited by Holsterman; 11th February 2020 at 15:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Size-wise it wears about the same as a 16610.
    I'd beg to differ. All dial / thin bezel designs such as the OP wear MUCH larger than 'sports' watches with thick moving bezels such as Subs and GMTs.

Craftsman
    I'd beg to differ. All dial / thin bezel designs such as the OP wear MUCH larger than 'sports' watches with thick moving bezels such as Subs and GMTs.
    My experience echos this, I wear a Subc and GMTc regularly but moved my 39mm Explorer on as it was just too big for my wrists. Just my personal experience ofc.

Master
    I’d agree in that something like a 16570 Explorer II is ok for my slim wrist, while the 39mm Oyster Perpetual feels ever so slightly oversized, as is the current 39mm Explorer. A pity as the 39mm models look well proportioned otherwise, and the black and white OP39s and Explorer are probably my favourite current Rolex. Clearly far from oversized in these photos though.

Master
    The 36mm OP has double batons at the 3,6,9 positions whereas the 39mm version has single batons at these positions.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    The 36mm OP has double batons at the 3,6,9 positions whereas the 39mm version has single batons at these positions.
    The OP has already confirmed that the watch is 39mm. Regarding the double batons, I'm a 36mm case fan but unfortunately the double batons really didn't work for me. I tried the white dial 36mm OP recently and I found it very bland.

Legibility looks to be an issue sometimes. The non-lumed batons are getting lost in the darker parts of the dial, and the only the lume in the hands is sometimes viable as the metal frames blend in--and there's not a lot of lume in the hour hand to help either.

Is that just the angles/lighting for some of the photos, or does it happen often in 'real life'?

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Legibility looks to be an issue sometimes. The non-lumed batons are getting lost in the darker parts of the dial, and the only the lume in the hands is sometimes viable as the metal frames blend in--and there's not a lot of lume in the hour hand to help either.

Is that just the angles/lighting for some of the photos, or does it happen often in 'real life'?
    I looked at a rhodium dial OP 39, but found it difficult to read. Things are easier with the blue, and the red grape.

Fantastic photography

I owned one of these last year and was really impressed by just how comfortable they are to wear due to the slim case and perfect size

It reminds me of how a vintage watch wears

Regards John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Beautiful shots for a beautifu watch. Nice!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    I looked at a rhodium dial OP 39, but found it difficult to read. Things are easier with the blue, and the red grape.
    I agree. My wife's 26mm DJ with blue dial and non-lumed hands and markers is a pig to read sometimes. So much so, she's ready to let it go.

The OP's watch looks very well sized in the frankly, amazing shots. I'd also echo some of the other comments re the 39mm smooth bezel models wearing particularly larger than tool bezel 40mm. My 214270 is so much more 'in-yer-face' than my 114270 that I don't wear the 39.