closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it Art , or is it Arse ??

Hybrid View

Is it Art , or is it Arse ??

A veritable masterpiece now on display at Tate Modern...

Pretentious shite.....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Pretentious shite.....
    Arse is too good for it !

Clive Tucker has the answer.
    F.T.F.A.

It is what people who cant paint, draw, sculpt or anything else have a go at in desperation to avoid manual labour.

It saddens me that some of them succeed...

I would love to know how much it was purchased for back in 2009, I suspect that will remain a closely guarded secret..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I would love to know how much it was purchased for back in 2009, I suspect that will remain a closely guarded secret..
    Well, whatever it went for, I suspect they probably kept the receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    It is what people who cant paint, draw, sculpt or anything else have a go at in desperation to avoid manual labour.

It saddens me that some of them succeed...
    That'll be The Angel of the North, then.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Blog Entries
    Could be worse, could be someones stinky bed.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Pretentious shite.....
    First comment. Nailed it.

It’s April the 1st, right?

This is the reason, when petal dives left to fawn over some bricks or old pipes when we’re in town, I keep going and shout “see you later”.

Eddie’s rules and all, they stop me at this point.

(It’s a real shame because in between the crap there’s some really worthwhile stuff in the Tate modern.)

Rubbish to me...... never understood modern so called 'art'.

Craftsman
    Pretentious shite.....
    Exactly.

By a bullshi**r who has a lot of connections and no talent.

Hot air

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, let me think.... this "work of art" or this oil painting of a leopard which I bought a few years ago for not very much money. I like to see some skill involved.

Mind you I wasn't impressed with some of the Picassos at the Picasso museum in Antibes. Too many runs...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    +1

I love modern art.
    The fact that it makes grumpy bastards fizz, simply does it for me.
    It's just a painting/sculpture/installation...just try to enjoy it....don't over think it....
    And...who gives a flying fu*k anyway?
    Nobody dies.....it's just art, and just because YOU and your mates don't like it, doesn't mean it's dross...

Have at it...

I used to work near the Tate Modern and spent many rewarding hours in there.

But this piece doesn't really appeal.

Is it something you'd buy if you had the money?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

It is conceptual art - the artist is also responsible for “light switch” a projection of an image of a light switch.

Blog Entries
    Nice work if you can get it but since we did not “ conceive “ it we do not get it.

But Jase got it spot on.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Having (last week) spent a day at Vienna’s Historisches kunst museum.....- one of the truly world class art galleries,
    It is Arse
    No doubt about it
    Or if not, it’s all a bit too clever for me.
    That’s all

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    It is conceptual art - the artist is also responsible for “light switch” a projection of an image of a light switch.

I must admit, as a 'concept', I do rather like that idea. You could have a touch sensor on the wall under the image which dimmed/brightened the room lights when activated. Or maybe even rotated the carousel.

To answer her question, yes white is a colour.

It's achromatic.

That's that solved then.

Not sure why we need the receipt.

Blimey I always thought the CoOp as a cheap place, apparently not!

Also most art works are usually part of a wider body of work, which may offer a clearer understanding of the individual piece, where the artist may be working with a concept or reoccurring theme, exploring that theme in different media.

The skill in Art has developed from being literal pictorial representations, to allow concepts or ideas to become the art - although these still exist of course. Art has something for everyone and can be over intellectual if that’s your bag!

this is why art degrees are essentially worthless , you can pretty much S*** on a piece of paper and hand it in ( gilbert and george ) .
    there are some very talented artists out there but imo things like this should not be put under the same umbrella -yes they may be interesting in some other way (banksy ) which people will give a value to but i would not say theres any /much skill involved.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    I would not say theres any /much skill involved.
    Like most desk jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    this is why art degrees are essentially worthless , you can pretty much S*** on a piece of paper and hand it in ( gilbert and george ) .
    there are some very talented artists out there but imo things like this should not be put under the same umbrella -yes they may be interesting in some other way (banksy ) which people will give a value to but i would not say theres any /much skill involved.

Modern art's job is to provoke reaction, to get the viewer to think, to comment on society, or just to do something that hasn't been done before. Skill, or ability with a paintbrush doesn't really matter. Every A level or degree show has some artists with immense skill who can paint and draw something in front of them with incredible precision, but is that art anymore worthwhile? Skills can be taught and learned. Original, intellectual and creative thinking less so.

Is it Art , or is it Arse ??

Modern art's job is to provoke reaction, to get the viewer to think, to comment on society, or just to do something that hasn't been done before. Skill, or ability with a paintbrush doesn't really matter. Every A level or degree show has some artists with immense skill who can paint and draw something in front of them with incredible precision, but is that art anymore worthwhile? Skills can be taught and learned. Original, intellectual and creative thinking less so.
    I can see the worth of original creative thinking and that the piece in question has some merit and does fulfil your criteria but what people struggle with is the word art. If it were just called something else!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I can see the worth of original creative thinking and that the piece in question has some merit and does fulfil your criteria but what people struggle with is the word art. If it were just called something else!
    Perfect suggestion in the thread title.

I agree Chris.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Modern art's job is to provoke reaction, to get the viewer to think, to comment on society, or just to do something that hasn't been done before....
    Maybe, but I think the main purpose of modern art is to create something that a subset of society, an elite if you will, can agree is worth appreciating while excluding everyone else. It's aim is to make you think react etc. only if you have already the correct cultural background to do so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Also most art works are usually part of a wider body of work,
    The rest of this one is still in the till.

Heck yes, proud to be British at moments like this. It's sole "merit" seems to be it makes fuddy-duddies like me "froth", apparently, whatever that is.

We went into a gallery/museum in Santorini. There was a beautifully crafted ibex made in gold, gorgeous little piece it was, made my visit.

Visitors from Greece come into Tate Modern and see.... a til receipt. Go figure, as they might say over the pond. It's just an embarrassment.

What if it were a gold till receipt in the shape of an ibex, would that be art?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    What if it were a gold till receipt in the shape of an ibex, would that be art?
    It would definitely be a start

This was the best one of all time. Whoever bought this may be incredibly rich but I have seen smarter goldfish...

An abstract painting by New York artist Barnett Newman that features a field of blue paint crossed by a ragged white line sold last night for $43.8 million

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    This was the best one of all time. Whoever bought this may be incredibly rich but I have seen smarter goldfish...

An abstract painting by New York artist Barnett Newman that features a field of blue paint crossed by a ragged white line sold last night for $43.8 million
    May 2013

Master
    Given that the work was apparently created in 1999 and purchased by the gallery in 2009, but the items were purchased from the Co-Op on 23rd July 2019 (according to the till receipt) I'd say there's some multi-level meta japery going on here that both transcends and blurs the traditional boundaries of "is it art?" and "is 'e 'avin' a laff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Given that the work was apparently created in 1999 and purchased by the gallery in 2009, but the items were purchased from the Co-Op on 23rd July 2019 (according to the till receipt) I'd say there's some multi-level meta japery going on here that both transcends and blurs the traditional boundaries of "is it art?" and "is 'e 'avin' a laff?"

Well spotted that man, I think I need to contact them about this deception. will report back.

Well spotted that man, I think I need to contact them about this deception. will report back.
    Tate e-mailed, awaiting a response...

Tate e-mailed, awaiting a response...
    Their response, more arse, I think..http://https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/floyer-monochrome-till-receipt-white-t12894

Craftsman
    Anybody got a recent UK AD till receipt for a Daytona? Must be worth a small fortune and the Tate would probably be daft enough to pay for it if you tell them how rare it is ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Clearly the original is far too valuable to put on display (bit like those bricks I referred to earlier)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I fart in your general direction. Why have a Picasso when you can have a Michelangelo

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I fart in your general direction. Why have a Picasso when you can have a Michelangelo

Spies exhibition at Science Museum ? I liked the LEGO GCHQ model....

Spies exhibition at Science Museum ? I liked the LEGO GCHQ model....
    Yes. Apparently they got into trouble with Lego over it because they 3D printed some of their own bricks.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Yes. Apparently they got into trouble with Lego over it because they 3D printed some of their own bricks.
    Poor tradecraft to not create credible reference numbers and insert the details into the LEGO® master catalogue.