closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another interminable thread about indecision. Be warned: over RRP Rolex value content

Hybrid View

Master

Another interminable thread about indecision. Be warned: over RRP Rolex value content

Guys, sorry for yet another 'which should I keep' thread, and hopefully you can forgive the contentious subjects of 'Rolex' and '££value' in the same thread, but I really am going round in circles here.

I'd planned to sell a couple of watches to free up some cash for our onging bottomless money pit house extension & refurb. The Milgauss I sold to Marty last week was the first, but I'm struggling over a decision on the second.

The contenders are a 2018 116710BLNR and a 16610LV Kermit from 2008. Both watches are in great condition.

Neither watch was bought as an 'investment' of course, but I can't pretend that future appreciation of the LV especially is not a consideration. I've had advice not to sell the LV yet from someone respected by the forum, but between the two I've never really bonded with it 100% and do prefer the BLNR. As much as it'd pain me to sell a watch I prefer over one I don't, they are both assets though at the end of the day, still appreciating or not.

My take on current market values is that the BLNR has seen a little correction since Christmas - I personally believe entirely due to Watchfinder putting a few in their sale which then spread a little panic - but prices and what I've been offered by dealers (not WF!) when I've enquired seems to have stabilised now. The LV has being going nuts over the last few years as we know, but again seems to have cooled a bit.

I've responded to a couple of WTBs about the LV but am now having doubts.

What would you do?

footnote: I've bought and sold many, many watches over the last ten years, and until recently this dilemma would never have entered my head. Despite the fact I've benefitted financially buying a few in demand pieces when I did, I absolutely hate how it's changed the hobby, but that's just how it's become. Maybe that's why I've just bought my first GS (and considering another). I'd love to see a return to the old days, but doubt that will happen soon.

I highly value youth in watches so would 100% keep the 2018 model and get rid of the 12 year old one personally

Do you/will you like the GS’s more than either of the above?

Ive sold desirable watches before, and tried lots of other watches - but the cost to buy them back would be restrictive now!

Unless you need to cash in, I just wouldn’t. But if you need the funds to support future purchases, or run a one in one out - then...

But, you have two highly collectible/wearable watches there and I just don’t see too many others I’d be willing to swap them for.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Do you/will you like the GS’s more than either of the above?
    Really good question there and one I've pondered. Still in the honeymoon phase with the GS and hard to say if I'll still feel the same down the line. In any event, it'd be worth considerably less than either of those two.

Master
    I wouldn’t hesitate in getting rid of the BLNR... it’s a current model and you can easily buy another..

Getting an LV will be considerably more difficult.

If either frees up the money you need at the moment, I would sell the BLNR. As said above, it's a current model so easier to buy back later if you were so inclined. Alternatively, bite the bullet, sell both and seek other brands where horology, not investment rules the purchase.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Keep the Kermit - an absolute classic and near impossible to replace.

Master
    I would keep the LV because I prefer it over the BLNR, much better proportioned watch imo and would be harder to replace.

Craftsman

Right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If either frees up the money you need at the moment, I would sell the BLNR. As said above, it's a current model so easier to buy back later if you were so inclined. Alternatively, bite the bullet, sell both and seek other brands where horology, not investment rules the purchase.
    There is probably no right or wrong decision on this. One factor will be how much do you need to complete the refurbishment and which of these watches releases those funds to you. No point in selling one which does not give you the funds required and if your immediate cash reserves do not alllow for you to add to the refurb kitty you would eventually end up having to sell another to finish the job.

Maybe the best decision is to just sell both and have a healthy cash fund to finish the refurb, otherwise you probably end up in a continuous building site for years, which is never good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I wouldn’t hesitate in getting rid of the BLNR... it’s a current model and you can easily buy another..

I agree

my LV just sits in the safe and if I needed to raise £10k ish quickly it would be the more widely availalble (therefore replaceable) BLNR that would be for the chop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    I agree

my LV just sits in the safe .....................
    Ever thought about wearing it perhaps? Seems an awful waste of a good watch!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Keep the one you like the most, surely that’s the best one to keep? - if you solely choose to keep one model over another purely because it may (or may not) be worth more further down the line then what’s the point? You're no longer ‘enjoying’ your watches while you own them, you are hoping for a possible financial gain to enjoy later (which is by no means 100% guaranteed anyways).
    Heck - sell whatever is required to help the house works along and end up with a happy house/wife/partner etc (i.e - happy life!) when the works are completed. Just my take. Best of luck 👍🏼.

You could be a tease. Put both up on the proviso that only one is to be sold and keep the other.

First of all stop apologising for talking about Rolex and ££. It has become a part of this hobby. I don’t believe there ever was a time when people didn’t like their watches appreciating in value. All the talk about good old days and return to those days is getting to be a little too much.
    My practical advice- hold on to the Kermit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    First of all stop apologising for talking about Rolex and ££. It has become a part of this hobby. I don’t believe there ever was a time when people didn’t like their watches appreciating in value. All the talk about good old days and return to those days is getting to be a little too much.
    My practical advice- hold on to the Kermit.
    Point taken. There was a long period of time though and not so long ago with much less dramatic appreciation. I guess my point is if you sell a watch and it ends up being worth double in 15 years, then fair enough. But if it's worth double in 3 years that would be a harder pill to swallow. And believe me, I've already been there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

My BLNR is the discontinued Oyster model. I am personally not a fan of the jubilee, so take your point but if I were to have regrets I'd be wanting to replace it like for like, not with the current model.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 10th February 2020 at 12:57.

Master
    I’m a fan of the more modern Rolex but in this case BLNR seems to be a flippers choice. Many readily available. So I’d sell that keep Kermit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LV suits that collection a lot more than the BLNR.

Still keep the Kermit. Lovely collection, by the way.

Agree with this. The Kermit is impossible to get ahold of now, whereas the BLNR is still available new (ahem).

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Still keep the Kermit. Lovely collection, by the way.

Sell the Omegas and keep all the Rolex and the GS.

Master
    Keep both! Sell your left kidney instead.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Keep both! Sell your left kidney instead.
    Is left more precious or more expendable than right??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Is left more precious or more expendable than right??
    No idea! But it costs £100,000 to buy one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    No idea! But it costs £100,000 to buy one.
    I feel a bit queasy..

Do not sell your LV

The way prices are, it’ll go back up

It turkey is now an asset despite you not loving it as much as the other

BLNR will sell fast - and as many say - could be replaced another time

The LV is better than the bricks and mortar you are looking to finance from an investment perspective

Craftsman
    Defo keep the LV.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just wear and enjoy them. The omega speedy with dial mod would be sold if it were me.