closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another interminable thread about indecision. Be warned: over RRP Rolex value content

Master

Another interminable thread about indecision. Be warned: over RRP Rolex value content

Guys, sorry for yet another 'which should I keep' thread, and hopefully you can forgive the contentious subjects of 'Rolex' and '££value' in the same thread, but I really am going round in circles here.

I'd planned to sell a couple of watches to free up some cash for our onging bottomless money pit house extension & refurb. The Milgauss I sold to Marty last week was the first, but I'm struggling over a decision on the second.

The contenders are a 2018 116710BLNR and a 16610LV Kermit from 2008. Both watches are in great condition.

Neither watch was bought as an 'investment' of course, but I can't pretend that future appreciation of the LV especially is not a consideration. I've had advice not to sell the LV yet from someone respected by the forum, but between the two I've never really bonded with it 100% and do prefer the BLNR. As much as it'd pain me to sell a watch I prefer over one I don't, they are both assets though at the end of the day, still appreciating or not.

My take on current market values is that the BLNR has seen a little correction since Christmas - I personally believe entirely due to Watchfinder putting a few in their sale which then spread a little panic - but prices and what I've been offered by dealers (not WF!) when I've enquired seems to have stabilised now. The LV has being going nuts over the last few years as we know, but again seems to have cooled a bit.

I've responded to a couple of WTBs about the LV but am now having doubts.

What would you do?

footnote: I've bought and sold many, many watches over the last ten years, and until recently this dilemma would never have entered my head. Despite the fact I've benefitted financially buying a few in demand pieces when I did, I absolutely hate how it's changed the hobby, but that's just how it's become. Maybe that's why I've just bought my first GS (and considering another). I'd love to see a return to the old days, but doubt that will happen soon.

I highly value youth in watches so would 100% keep the 2018 model and get rid of the 12 year old one personally

Do you/will you like the GS’s more than either of the above?

Ive sold desirable watches before, and tried lots of other watches - but the cost to buy them back would be restrictive now!

Unless you need to cash in, I just wouldn’t. But if you need the funds to support future purchases, or run a one in one out - then...

But, you have two highly collectible/wearable watches there and I just don’t see too many others I’d be willing to swap them for.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Do you/will you like the GS’s more than either of the above?
    Really good question there and one I've pondered. Still in the honeymoon phase with the GS and hard to say if I'll still feel the same down the line. In any event, it'd be worth considerably less than either of those two.

You could be a tease. Put both up on the proviso that only one is to be sold and keep the other.

First of all stop apologising for talking about Rolex and ££. It has become a part of this hobby. I don’t believe there ever was a time when people didn’t like their watches appreciating in value. All the talk about good old days and return to those days is getting to be a little too much.
    My practical advice- hold on to the Kermit.

Master
    I wouldn’t hesitate in getting rid of the BLNR... it’s a current model and you can easily buy another..

Getting an LV will be considerably more difficult.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    First of all stop apologising for talking about Rolex and ££. It has become a part of this hobby. I don’t believe there ever was a time when people didn’t like their watches appreciating in value. All the talk about good old days and return to those days is getting to be a little too much.
    My practical advice- hold on to the Kermit.
    Point taken. There was a long period of time though and not so long ago with much less dramatic appreciation. I guess my point is if you sell a watch and it ends up being worth double in 15 years, then fair enough. But if it's worth double in 3 years that would be a harder pill to swallow. And believe me, I've already been there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I wouldn’t hesitate in getting rid of the BLNR... it’s a current model and you can easily buy another..

My BLNR is the discontinued Oyster model. I am personally not a fan of the jubilee, so take your point but if I were to have regrets I'd be wanting to replace it like for like, not with the current model.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 10th February 2020 at 12:57.

If either frees up the money you need at the moment, I would sell the BLNR. As said above, it's a current model so easier to buy back later if you were so inclined. Alternatively, bite the bullet, sell both and seek other brands where horology, not investment rules the purchase.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Keep the Kermit - an absolute classic and near impossible to replace.

Master
    I would keep the LV because I prefer it over the BLNR, much better proportioned watch imo and would be harder to replace.

Master
    I’m a fan of the more modern Rolex but in this case BLNR seems to be a flippers choice. Many readily available. So I’d sell that keep Kermit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Perhaps should have put some context around this by showing what else I currently have.

Last edited by gcleminson; 3rd March 2020 at 13:02.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Id keep the LV without question.
    You have a 4 digit, the LV makes a 5 digit, and 6 digits are easy to pick up later.

LV suits that collection a lot more than the BLNR.

Still keep the Kermit. Lovely collection, by the way.

Agree with this. The Kermit is impossible to get ahold of now, whereas the BLNR is still available new (ahem).

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Still keep the Kermit. Lovely collection, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Perhaps should have put some context around this by showing what else I currently have.

The 1655 isn't going anywhere in a hurry.

And this one is currently away with Breitling for a battery change.

Where did you source that US-only GS???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sell the Omegas and keep all the Rolex and the GS.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Where did you source that US-only GS???

From the US! :)

The blnr on oyster is discontinued too, and I prefer that watch on oyster to jubilee. Both watches are replaceable if you really miss them, but in reality I don’t think you will replace them otherwise you wouldn’t sell (you’d find other means)

So on that basis i’d Keep the one I enjoy the most. I don’t think either will increase much beyond their current prices, and I think (depending which lv you have) they are both of similar value today. So again, keep the one you like and wear the most.

Craftsman
    I'd keep the LV. I think the BLNR would be easier to replace if you want it back in the future.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Id keep the LV without question.
    You have a 4 digit, the LV makes a 5 digit, and 6 digits are easy to pick up later.
    What he said, without any doubt whatsoever. THE classic case design before all the current pumped up nonsense IMO, old school alu bezel in place of the 'oh-so-shiiiinnneeee' ceramic. For me, there are too many Fat Case variations now, the LV is unique and value is only heading North.

Master
    Keep both! Sell your left kidney instead.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Keep both! Sell your left kidney instead.
    Is left more precious or more expendable than right??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Is left more precious or more expendable than right??
    No idea! But it costs £100,000 to buy one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    No idea! But it costs £100,000 to buy one.
    I feel a bit queasy..

Do not sell your LV

The way prices are, it’ll go back up

It turkey is now an asset despite you not loving it as much as the other

BLNR will sell fast - and as many say - could be replaced another time

The LV is better than the bricks and mortar you are looking to finance from an investment perspective

If I had to keep one it would’ve the LV
    Right now though, it wouldn’t bother me to sell both tbh.
    1665 would always stay, I think.

Strangely enough I’ve sent my 2007 LV off to Rolex West Malling via my local AD for a service with the intention of selling it.
    Chatting to the chap in the AD he offered a place in the shop window for 17.5% commission but spent most of the time trying to talk me out of selling it all together! Now reading most of the comments here as well I’m having second thoughts.
    They may all have a point OP...

Master
    Fabulous collection. Outside of the Rolex, I really like the Omega you have with the orange accents etc on the dial - which model is that?

Also, to provide some context/info - what would the current values be for the BLNR and the LV?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

I agree

my LV just sits in the safe and if I needed to raise £10k ish quickly it would be the more widely availalble (therefore replaceable) BLNR that would be for the chop

Craftsman
    Defo keep the LV.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Fabulous collection. Outside of the Rolex, I really like the Omega you have with the orange accents etc on the dial - which model is that?
    Thanks. It’s a bog standard Speedmaster Moonwatch that I had STS fit with a NOS dial and handset from the quite rare Japan-only Racing dial version from a number of years back. I’ve always wanted a MkII with racing dial, but one’s never come up at the right time, then saw some pics posted by someone over on the Omega Forum where they’d done this and I thought I’d do the same.

The strap is a custom one-off nato single pass, made for me by Jean Rousseau Piccadilly shop.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 10th February 2020 at 20:49.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    I agree

my LV just sits in the safe .....................
    Ever thought about wearing it perhaps? Seems an awful waste of a good watch!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Keep the one you like the most, surely that’s the best one to keep? - if you solely choose to keep one model over another purely because it may (or may not) be worth more further down the line then what’s the point? You're no longer ‘enjoying’ your watches while you own them, you are hoping for a possible financial gain to enjoy later (which is by no means 100% guaranteed anyways).
    Heck - sell whatever is required to help the house works along and end up with a happy house/wife/partner etc (i.e - happy life!) when the works are completed. Just my take. Best of luck 👍🏼.

Craftsman
    I would keep both and sell the Seamaster and the X33.

IF you really want to sell either Rolex mentioned then I would keep the LV. It'll be far harder to get hold of another one compared to the BLNR.

Good luck either way!

Quote Originally Posted by RajLondon View Post
    I would keep both and sell the Seamaster and the X33.

IF you really want to sell either Rolex mentioned then I would keep the LV. It'll be far harder to get hold of another one compared to the BLNR.

Good luck either way!
    Yes, agree with this

Master
    Thanks. It’s a bog standard Speedmaster Moonwatch that I had STS fit with a NOS dial and handset from the quite rare Japan-only Racing dial version from a number of years back. I’ve always wanted a MkII with racing dial, but one’s never come up at the right time, then saw some pics posted by someone over on the Omega Forum where they’d done this and I thought I’d do the same.

The strap is a custom one-off nato single pass, made for me by Jean Rousseau Piccadilly shop.
    Thanks! Nice way to do it.

As you don’t like the LV that much, if you sold it then it is not likely that you will find yourself in a situation where you were trying to buy one back again. If that is the case then it negates the argument made by many on this thread.

Secondly, if you like the BLNR on Oyster why would you sell it? The facts are you only need watches in your collection that you like as they are to wear not be an investment. If you feel that there is a risk that the LV will climb significantly in value just after you have sold (which to me sounds possible but not that likely) then delay selling it and sell the next least liked watches in your collection.

Do not loose sight of the fact that you own these watches because you like wearing them not because someone else likes them of they are popular with Instagram idiots. I personally don’t care much for any LVs, I think the standard black subs are much nicer and I think GMT2s are ever better still (except those on Jubilees which I think look all wrong).

Journeyman

The 1655 isn't going anywhere in a hurry.

And this one is currently away with Breitling for a battery change.

Lovely collection , loving the grand seiko .

Sell the LV.
    For your own reasons, because it is one that you have bonded less with.
    And for exactly the reason that everyone else says keep it, to help free up the market in Rolexes so that they can attain the value they should have, rather than one based on speculative hoarding.
    Of course it is replaceable, but I think you probably won't, as you wear it least.
    And you should, of course, ask the going rate for it. Fill your boots because the next owner will if you do not.
    There is an awful lot of owning what we feel we "should keep", rather than what we actually wear.
    And that is a shame for all of us.

Dave

Explain to your builder the plight you face and the hard decision that will have to be made, he may well be understanding and slash his costs to save you further heartache.

Then again....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Explain to your builder the plight you face and the hard decision that will have to be made, he may well be understanding and slash his costs to save you further heartache.

Then again....
    Hehe

If he saw either of those watches I’ve no doubt the price would go up

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Sell the LV.
    And for exactly the reason that everyone else says keep it, to help free up the market in Rolexes so that they can attain the value they should have, rather than one based on speculative hoarding.
    Of course it is replaceable, but I think you probably won't, as you wear it least.
    And you should, of course, ask the going rate for it. Fill your boots because the next owner will if you do not.
    There is an awful lot of owning what we feel we "should keep", rather than what we actually wear.

Dave
    Nail on the head I think. I’m hanging onto it for the wrong reasons, if you want to put it like that. Hmmm.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 11th February 2020 at 11:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Sell the LV.

Dave
    Like it or not, Rolex is just not a watch, it is a commodity, so it attracts the attention of watch collectors and investors alike. The best approach is to be a bit of each, that way you enjoy the pride of ownership as well as the potential for financial growth. Also both sets of people should accept that and just get on with each other.

Also don't buy a Rolex if you risk having to make a distress purchase to fund something else at a later date, buying short term, even in a rising market is a mugs game. Best bet is to buy a Rolex and hang onto it even if you don't like it. You will make money that way by just sitting on you arse and doing nothing.

The best way of buying a Rolex is to buy from someone who needs to sell quickly which shows that you should not be the person who needs to sell. It's just common sense really.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

The best way of buying a Rolex is to buy from someone who needs to sell quickly which shows that you should not be the person who needs to sell. It's just common sense really.
    ^^^ There is WISdom. Right there. ^^^^

Craftsman

Right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If either frees up the money you need at the moment, I would sell the BLNR. As said above, it's a current model so easier to buy back later if you were so inclined. Alternatively, bite the bullet, sell both and seek other brands where horology, not investment rules the purchase.
    There is probably no right or wrong decision on this. One factor will be how much do you need to complete the refurbishment and which of these watches releases those funds to you. No point in selling one which does not give you the funds required and if your immediate cash reserves do not alllow for you to add to the refurb kitty you would eventually end up having to sell another to finish the job.

Maybe the best decision is to just sell both and have a healthy cash fund to finish the refurb, otherwise you probably end up in a continuous building site for years, which is never good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    There is probably no right or wrong decision on this. One factor will be how much do you need to complete the refurbishment and which of these watches releases those funds to you.
    Major works are done, just finishing off really and a few nice to have's, but I'd rather do it all now than go through more disruption again in the future. I hate having people working in the house!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Like it or not, Rolex is just not a watch, it is a commodity, so it attracts the attention of watch collectors and investors alike. The best approach is to be a bit of each, that way you enjoy the pride of ownership as well as the potential for financial growth. Also both sets of people should accept that and just get on with each other.

Also don't buy a Rolex if you risk having to make a distress purchase to fund something else at a later date, buying short term, even in a rising market is a mugs game. Best bet is to buy a Rolex and hang onto it even if you don't like it. You will make money that way by just sitting on you arse and doing nothing.

Respectfully Mick, although I agree with the bit about enjoying the asset whilst owning it over a more traditional fund etc, I think you've contradicted yourself somewhat there.

You can't make money until you sell it. The only difference between doing that after 3 years ownership or 30 is the potential return. Reason for sale is immaterial. The models I've bought, I've done so in the comfort they're a pretty liquid asset. In the short term, although not planned, I've done ok with them I think.

Master
    Major works are done, just finishing off really and a few nice to have's, but I'd rather do it all now than go through more disruption again in the future. I hate having people working in the house!

Respectfully Mick, although I agree with the bit about enjoying the asset whilst owning it over a more traditional fund etc, I think you've contradicted yourself somewhat there.

You can't make money until you sell it. The only difference between doing that after 3 years ownership or 30 is the potential return. Reason for sale is immaterial. The models I've bought, I've done so in the comfort they're a pretty liquid asset. In the short term, although not planned, I've done ok with them I think.
    If you sell a watch all you have done is to swap a commodity for cash. You still have the same wealth. If you NEED to sell a watch in order to buy a car or whatever, then you are doing something wrong. Buy the Rolex and keep it and buy the car next year out of your income stream.

Selling something to fund something else you want to do today is financial mismanagement. The day you start working is the day that you start increasing your wealth and you do that by earning more than you spend. You should be wealthier today than ever before and you should expect to be even wealthier next year.

OP,
    Watches, cars, hobbies. Doesn’t really matter. When it’s a rising market, or has risen stupidly, it does take the fun out and in my case, the pleasure of it.
    A car I bought 4 years ago for £3k sold last year for £11k. Don’t get me wrong, a great return, but I’m out the game and won’t be stepping in at the £11k + level again.
    Equally a car I paid 14k for and sold for 12k about 8 years ago was recently advertised for 50k. I’d have sold that for sure... I couldn’t possibly imagine or enjoy driving a 50k car in this day and age...

Doesn’t help in what you should sell or keep - sorry.