closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DE blades - recommendations please

Master

DE blades - recommendations please

I've run out of Feather so have started using a box of Eastern European / Indian blades I had and they are not as good. Should I be looking at anything else before ordering some Feather or Merkur?

Thanks

I've tried a few variations and always go back to Feather to be honest.

Default to muehle- seem fine to me
    Tried loads but these work best for me.

polsilver iridium.

but they stopped making them now and charge triple the previous price so not worth it anymore.

I used to buy them in the thousands lol.

I have enough to last a life time easily.

I’ve tried many different DE blades and have given up. For me, feather always seem to be the best ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm another Feather devotee, used in a Feather AS-DE razor. Feather blades are ultra-sharp, and work best in a "mild" razor.

As with so many things, it's down to personal preference.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I have been using Personna blades which I thought were fine. But I then picked up 100 Astra blades from Amazon for just over £5 and prefer these over the Personna blades.

I did have one Feather blade which came with my razor and think this is the sharpest. I used Wilkinson blades first as read they were more forgiving for a new user.

I did use Feathers but found they soon lost that edge. My go to blades are now Gillette 7 in the yellow box from Connaught Shaving. They last longer for me.

Craftsman
    Tried many different brands over the years and have settled on Shark Chrome, Med-Prep Blues, Kai, and Feathers. Only bought from Connaught.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    I've tried a few variations and always go back to Feather to be honest.
    Same story for me, think they’re great

Merkur super platinum are the best DE blades I have used.
    They are expensive but worth every penny.
    I am getting a week out of one blade and could probably stretch it to 10 days.
    No cuts or scrapes.
    Superb blades.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    For mild razors Feather are both effective and last decently well, for more aggressive razors I'm never sure I can tell the difference.

Master
    The only 3 blades I will use are irridium (which are like gold dust as they are no longer made), Feather (by far my preferred blade) or Astra platinum. These last aren't as good as Feathers but are not far off. I bought a job lot of them when I first started DE shaving and are my fall backs when I run out of Feathers and have forgotten to order some more.

Master
    Personna Platinum for me. I've tried various and they're always my preference. But i'm starting to doubt I have tried Feathers and that seems to be the overwhelming preference of this thread

Craftsman
    Personna doesn't work for me but i found Astra to be quite good

Master
    I've been pretty happy with Gilette 7s.

I too like Personna.

I've recently though been using MEM super platinums & they're working very well for me.

Feathers are great! Close runner-up: Gillette 7 O'Clock Green

What's the best place to buy genuine Feathers? as I recall reading there are fakes out there...
    Last edited by cman; 10th February 2020 at 17:22.

Master
    Drop me a pm with your address & will pop some in the post for you (assuming it is allowed?!)

I purchased a mixed box selection recently, then decided after a full beard I look about 6yrs old cleanly shaven & decided on 4mm stubble instead. I now only use it to trim the lowest part of my neck & the odd cheek hair, so they last a long time!

Feathers and Astras are my go to.

Blog Entries
    I use Astra and when I have some, Kai (same as the chef's knives).

Another Astra stainless user, probably because they're good value too.

Blog Entries
    Feathers for me!

Almost all DE blades have a double hone to the edge.

The reason that Feather blades are so sharp, but don't keep their edge as long as the rest is that they are triple honed.

Feather blades are the Grand Seiko of the DE world.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Have been using Feather for years. Very sharp, but always cut myself somewhere or other, even if minor.

This last month I've tried Persona and have been very surprised. Sharpness isn't THAT far off Feather for all practical purposes; but what's been great has been zero irritation, even against the grain. I don't think I want to go back to the Feathers now.

I have been thinking of giving up the whole DE thing and trying cut-throat razors for a change to be honest though.

Craftsman
    I have just started to use a Safety Razor after getting one for Xmas.
    To be honest, I had not given a thought to which blades to buy.
    After seeing this thread, I will be buying a few different brands to see how I get on with them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    and Astra for me too, although i have tones of others these just work

Feather for me too - always work best on my stubble!

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Almost all DE blades have a double hone to the edge.

The reason that Feather blades are so sharp, but don't keep their edge as long as the rest is that they are triple honed.

Feather blades are the Grand Seiko of the DE world.
    I get a lot of cuts with Feathers.

Almost no cuts with polsilver iridiums and iridium supers ( both now discontinued )

They were better blades IMO and used to be half the price

I buy Wilkinson Swords from the local Chemist. I've got hundreds of blades that I bought in various trial packs over the years, and there are only a few that I've found that are better. I'm left with a whole bunch of blades, most of which no one has ever heard of, that I'll never use. I did get a few packets of Gillette 7 o'clocks in the packs that I did like, but they are all gone now.

I have tried Feathers, but I don't like them much. In a Feather razor, I find them way too mild. In my preferred razor (bitsa, Above The Tie head on an Ikon handle) which is quite aggressive, they are a bit scratchy for me. triple honed or not.

I used to be a committed user of the Personna Platinums, then tried some Tesco branded platinum blades (they were made in Israel) which I am sure were Personna's (at £2 for 10). However they seem to have changed recently and are nowhere near as good. I use Astra's now. never tried Feathers - must do one day. Tried Derby's but regardless of technique, angle, pressure, shaving soap, I always get a nick or cut somewhere. Really dislike them, rough as old boots.

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    I used to be a committed user of the Personna Platinums, then tried some Tesco branded platinum blades (they were made in Israel) which I am sure were Personna's (at £2 for 10). However they seem to have changed recently and are nowhere near as good. I use Astra's now. never tried Feathers - must do one day. Tried Derby's but regardless of technique, angle, pressure, shaving soap, I always get a nick or cut somewhere. Really dislike them, rough as old boots.
    If, as I posted earlier, Feather are the Grand Seiko of the DE world, Derby are the Invicta.

Master
    If anyone wants some from my above photo to try out, feel free to drop me a pm. Given the stubbly nature of my face, this lot will last me about 3 lifetimes!

Craftsman
    Just ordered this little lot. Looking foreward to trying them out.https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/...e-variety-pack

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Astra and derby's. However trying the Israeli which are only OK. I don't like the feathers to thin and don't last.