closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To brush or not to brush...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Typical -- can't find my Bergeon tweezers anywhere but found a G-Shock I thought I lost!

Starting to think a spare GMT bracelet sent to Rocco would be better than the SubC bracelet. Easy link is 10x more practical than glide lock and as the clasp doesn't take up your entire wrist it's more comfortable too.
    Ah, I’d not considered the difference in clasp size - that subC clasp looks massive by comparison. Why do you say Easy Link is more practical? Never had a play with a glidelock.

Always prefer brushed centre links.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Ah, I’d not considered the difference in clasp size - that subC clasp looks massive by comparison. Why do you say Easy Link is more practical? Never had a play with a glidelock.
    Glide lock has too many options and you can adjust it two or three times to get the right setting as there's a lot of flex. Easy link is just one setting and done. Also as the bracelet is smaller the fit for me personally is a lot better and more comfortable.

Craftsman
    I was kind of thinking about going brushed on my yachtmaster. Does anyone have any images of this combo or am I being pioneering here?

I wonder if a sub c bracelet would work on the 40 mm ym at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Bracelets aren’t restricted parts as far as i’m aware so if you’ve got a Local AD with a parts account, you should be able to order one

Quote Refernces:
    97200 - SubC Brushed
    78200 - GMT PCL

Although on a 126710 you will need to use the original 1.5mm spring bars, and it takes some shoehorning to get the pivots to seat correctly into the holes.

Although i’m curious if a SDc 97400 bracelet might be a better fit with the 126710 (using exp 2.0mm spring bars), the endlinks are ever so slightly shorter so the lug hole position might be better. (Not got a 116600 on hand to experiment on lol)
    Very useful, thank you

Well, for anyone who might be even vaguely interested, I'm proceeding with this little project and will update the thread as and when. I'm going for the exact finish shown in the photos in the OP - can't wait to get it done and back with me.

Brushed over Bling any day for me Tony. Always associate polished with "jewellery" rather than "professional tool" when it comes to Rolex.

Will look great Tony. Would be interested in the cost and how long it takes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, for anyone who might be even vaguely interested, I'm proceeding with this little project and will update the thread as and when. I'm going for the exact finish shown in the photos in the OP - can't wait to get it done and back with me.
    Will be nice to see the "finished" pictures along with who carried out the work and price.

I think you have made the right choice.

Master
    I thought you got rid of the watch Tony!

I thought you got rid of the watch Tony!
    The BLNR, Graham? No, I love it and intend to hang onto it for the long term.

I made enquiries about brushing the bracelet on mine before I sold it, I think it’s the way to go and would be very tempted if (when) I get another.

Looking forward to seeing this Tony

Quick update, as I know you guys will barely have been sleeping as you wait expectantly to see the end result Well, here it is, and I'm very pleased indeed... no brusher's remorse whatsoever as I think it looks infinitely better now!

Anyway, huge thanks to Paul/Gingerboy - for the second time now!

Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd June 2020 at 15:13.

Quick update, as I know you guys will barely have been sleeping as you wait expectantly to see the end result Well, here it is, and I'm very pleased with the result... no remorse whatsoever as i think it looks infinitely better now!

It looks great, so much better than the polished centre links look.

Journeyman
    That looks very smart.

Much better 👌

Quick update, as I know you guys will barely have been sleeping as you wait expectantly to see the end result Well, here it is, and I'm very pleased with the result... no remorse whatsoever as i think it looks infinitely better now!
    I'm not sure it'd work on other sports rolex such as the milgauss and daytona, but with this watch it looks superb (and I change my opinion from earlier in the thread!). Well done taking the gamble, the work done also looks top notch!

Master
    Should have left the factory like that imo! Great mod and amazing pictures as always

Quick update, as I know you guys will barely have been sleeping as you wait expectantly to see the end result Well, here it is, and I'm very pleased indeed... no brusher's remorse whatsoever as I think it looks infinitely better now!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That tones down the bling of this particular model nicely. Good decision and a job by the look of it.

Nailed it... that is perfect. Thanks for sharing, I know what I will be doing should I ever get another.

Quote Originally Posted by Andym View Post
    That looks very smart.

Much better 
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I'm not sure it'd work on other sports rolex such as the milgauss and daytona, but with this watch it looks superb (and I change my opinion from earlier in the thread!). Well done taking the gamble, the work done also looks top notch!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Should have left the factory like that imo! Great mod and amazing pictures as always
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    That tones down the bling of this particular model nicely. Good decision and a job by the look of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Nailed it... that is perfect. Thanks for sharing, I know what I will be doing should I ever get another.
    Cheers all - I'm really pleased with it.

Huge improvement

Very nice indeed! 🤘

Master
    You made the right choice Tony. I wore mine on the bracelet from my 16610, effectively achieving the same result. You'd recommend the service you got then, I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Huge improvement
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    Very nice indeed! 落
    You made the right choice Tony. I wore mine on the bracelet from my 16610, effectively achieving the same result. You'd recommend the service you got then, I take it?
    Thanks and absolutely, Graham - Paul did a brilliant job, and it was actually the second bracelet he's done for me now.

Craftsman
    It looks sensational. Completely transforms the watch and allows it to recapture it’s essence (a tool). I love it! I’m not sure I’ve got the guts to do this to my BLNR but I may swap out the bracelet from my SD 4000 and join the club. Well played!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I can only echo so many of the comments, that really is so much better.

Tony that looks lovely. I'm curious, did you send all the links so as to keep the bracelet uniform? Certainly value for money compared to a new bracelet! IMO the GMT bracelet is more comfortable than the Sub bracelet and the easy-link is more convenient than the glidelock so you have the best of both worlds.

Journeyman
    Well played sir beautiful watch

Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    £1550 - I do have a SubC as well, so I just took off the bracelet, put it on my 126710BLNR and put a leather strap on my SubC. Then I wandered into the AD and showed them the SubC on the leather strap and said that I wanted to restore it to how it should be, and asked if they can order a new bracelet- which they did immediately without any further hassle.

During the chat I did mention that the original bracelet is now on my BLNR, but they didn’t seem to mind at all...

Takes a few days to arrive...
    OK, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to put the new bracelet on a Seiko or similar, take it into the AD and tell them you want to restore the bracelet to how it should be with a SubC attached to it. Hopefully they'll do that immediately without any hassle

That looks superb.

I have to admit that the the PCLs rarely look right to me and are one of the things that have put me off of a Rolex purchase (alongside, cost, availability etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Brushed over Bling any day for me Tony. Always associate polished with "jewellery" rather than "professional tool" when it comes to Rolex.
    Couldn't agree more (though I can't be too dogmatic about tool watches as I'm just off to work with my Zaratsu-polished G-Shock on my wrist)

I thought this thread was going to be about lockdown hair but then I saw who'd started it
    "A man of little significance"

Glad everyone seems to like it, which kind of validates the fact that I've had it done twice now

Tony that looks lovely. I'm curious, did you send all the links so as to keep the bracelet uniform? Certainly value for money compared to a new bracelet! IMO the GMT bracelet is more comfortable than the Sub bracelet and the easy-link is more convenient than the glidelock so you have the best of both worlds.
    Yes, all the links were done.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I thought this thread was going to be about lockdown hair but then I saw who'd started it
    I have no idea why you'd make that very strange comment, Simon.

Looks stunning Tiny! Not a big fan of PCL in general and especially on tool watches brushed just looks more “tool”. Work was expertly done as well, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    OK, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to put the new bracelet on a Seiko or similar, take it into the AD and tell them you want to restore the bracelet to how it should be with a SubC attached to it. Hopefully they'll do that immediately without any hassle
    Lol, if only I could ever be so lucky!

Master
    Slap on a sub bracelet. All brushed and you get the micro adjusting clasp while maintaining the original bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Slap on a sub bracelet. All brushed and you get the micro adjusting clasp while maintaining the original bracelet.
    Ok, chuck me over the additional £1,470 needed and I'll do just that.

Master
    Ok, chuck me over the additional £1,470 needed and I'll do just that.
    Gladly 浪

Could you brush the pcl and just fit the sub clasp?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Gladly 浪

Could you brush the pcl and just fit the sub clasp?
    I think the bulk of the cost is in the clasp so probably not an option - in for a penny etc

Brushing the existing GMT clasp is more comfortable as it's smaller so let's the links flex around your wrist better and the easy-link system is more convenient than the glidelock.

Blog Entries
    Looks great Tony. Now a curve ball. What about having the gold centre links brushed on my CHNR?

I’m thinking no. But open to suggestions

The brushed bracelet looks great, congrats.

How does the easy link system work for micro adjust? At some point I’d love a GMT, but I find watches without some form of micro adjust are frustrating to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Looks great Tony. Now a curve ball. What about having the gold centre links brushed on my CHNR?

I’d love to see how it looks, but to be honest if I was fortunate enough to own a CHNR I don’t think I’d be brave enough to go ahead with it!

Looks like a proper tool watch now. Fantastic shots as always Tony!

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    I’d love to see how it looks, but to be honest if I was fortunate enough to own a CHNR I don’t think I’d be brave enough to go ahead with it!
    I'm seriously thinking of doing this one now...

Grand Master

...and make it look more like this (Seamaster pre-Bond, this is how they were made originally)

Brushed gold centre links would be a far nicer look than polished IMO.

Paul also colour coordinating with the two tone socks!

What about trying the CHNR with the bracelet from your Hulk?

Neil

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    What about trying the CHNR with the bracelet from your Hulk?

Neil
    Interesting idea! Are the end link fit the same?

Interesting idea! Are the end link fit the same?
    I don’t know for sure, however there was a post earlier in the thread where someone has fitted a SubC bracelet to a 126710BLNR, and I am assuming that the case and springbar position are the same on the 126710 as the CHNR.

Looks good brushed.

I suppose those who are concerned about it being a process that is not going to be easy or cheap to reverse they could come up with a different solution.

Why not buy one of these cheap 'homages', the bracelet is an exact co... 'homage' and you can then brush that. Indeed you can do it yourself being less concerned about absolute precision. You then get to put your original bracelet away for future us or sale, get to wear the watch on a brushed bracelet and as a bonus have another watch head you can throw on a strap of your choice for a beater.

Mitch