closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To brush or not to brush...

To brush or not to brush...

Just picked up a BLNR and am very tempted to get the centre links brushed. I did that on the original GMTc and was very happy with the result (sorry, the images are very old and I wasn't quite up to speed with watch photography ) ...

Anyone else gone down that route? Maybe I should just send it to Lunns
    Last edited by learningtofly; 10th February 2020 at 11:20.

Where did you get the bracelet brushed? I'm very tempted but always put my sub bracelet on instead.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Where did you get the bracelet brushed? I'm very tempted but always put my sub bracelet on instead.
    One of our own - Gingerboy.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    One of our own - Gingerboy.
    Ah, don't think he does that anymore.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    I did exactly the same on my GMTc Tony , think I did a thread here on it before, got mixed opinions but IMO it looks far better and is far easily to manage if like me ( and I know you do too ) have watch OCD 😀. Easy enough to return to standard too if you want to move it on .

Quote Originally Posted by BryanEbru1512 View Post
    I did exactly the same on my GMTc Tony , think I did a thread here on it before, got mixed opinions but IMO it looks far better and is far easily to manage if like me ( and I know you do too ) have watch OCD . Easy enough to return to standard too if you want to move it on .
    Yes, although you're far worse than me in the OCD stakes

I think it makes the watch look a bit more tooly, which is probably very appropriate!

Master
    I've often thought about this too. How much did it cost you Tony? Job looks to have been done well - tricky to work around the coronet like that.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I've often thought about this too. How much did it cost you Tony? Job looks to have been done well - tricky to work around the coronet like that.
    It was so long ago that I can't remember, but Paul did ask specifically whether I wanted the coronet left as-is.

Why not wear it, and if you can’t live with the light surface marks on the polished surface then...

Id just live with it though.
    It's just a matter of time...

I was never a fan of PCLs until I got the BLNR. It really does suit the watch and I'd just live with it for a while. You may be surprised.

When I first got my Daytona, I wasn't sure at all about the PCLs - but you do get used to them and admittedly I actually like the blinginess. I'd keep and live with it.

The only thing that made me get rid of my BLNR and wish I'd kept and brushed so a yes from me!

Master
    I hate PCL so i would brush them...also it makes it different from most of the others out there.

Master
    Whilst I much prefer brushed centre links I am a stickler for originality so I would leave it as it is.

I left my LN version well alone - I am fairly careful with my watches (as I believe you are) and over the last 13 years of ownership have not built up any noticeable scratches on either the bracelet or clasp. Maybe try living with it for a couple of months and see how it goes. Nice watch

I had the local AD order a spare 97200 for me (already have one that i upgraded my 16600 with)
    Originally I only wanted to order the clasp so I put the BLNR on my spare oysterflex (but given that a clasp is 80% of the cost of a new bracelet, it made more sense to just buy an entire bracelet)

Alot more toolish than PCLs, and the glidelock is a decent upgraded over no adjustment in the Jubilee.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B78EZWkndJg/

Master
    Another vote for brushing here - I think it makes it perfect.

Craftsman

The LN looks great. I'd go down that route again if I were you.

Ultimately it depends how long you'll keep it before you flip it. Do you think you'll keep it longer than the time it will take to have the links brushed and the used sports Rolex market to collapse?

It does look a lot better without PCLs and the idea to buy a different bracelet is a good one as the money you'd probably lose on selling it when you flip the watch may not be much more than the cost of having the PCLs brushed.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    The nearest I had to this was with a TT Sub. I hated the bling of the PCLs so, in the OP's shoes, I would certainly get them brushed. Even with the shiny ceramic bezels, I think brushed looks better and more in line with (what's left of) the original tool aesthetic.

Master
    I prefer the brushed finish.

I just ordered an extra SubC bracelet with glidelock from my AD - the best ever combo on the BLNR

Hmmm... I think I'm favouring the "go for it" option right now. I'll make some enquiries.

Foxy, don't start with me at the moment, I'm not in the best of moods as it is

Grand Master
    At the risk of upsetting the Rolex fans, the Oyster bracelet doesn’t lend itself to having polished centre links.

The trick with polished links is to design the bracelet to allow the polished parts to sit slightly lower than the adjacent brushed areas. The Omega Speedmaster and SMP bracelets manage to do this, I’ve handled some battered ones yet the polished bits have avoided getting scratched to anything like the extent of the other bits. Likewise with some TAG bracelets, it’s a subtle design trick but it works. The Oyster bracelet, with its large flat centre links, is always going to get marked, and the marks will show because the surface is flat. Curved surfaces scratch just the same but the scratches aren’t obvious.

I like to see contrasting brushed/ polished designs but the Oyster never looks right, it should be fully brushed. The bimetal models would look better with the centre links brushed, this is a more subtle effect that works nicely, Omega did it on pre-Bond SMP models to good effect.

If I was the OP I’d be tempted to get it altered, even though I don’t like modifying anything from standard, provided he intends keeping the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    I just ordered an extra SubC bracelet with glidelock from my AD - the best ever combo on the BLNR
    Mind me asking how much that cost you and whether you needed to jump through any hoops e.g. prove ownership of a sub?

A couple more shots of my old LN after brushing...

Nice shots. I am with you. Get ‘em brushed.
    Not much to lose. Just keep it for a ‘decent’ amount of time.

Mind me asking how much that cost you and whether you needed to jump through any hoops e.g. prove ownership of a sub?
    £1550 - I do have a SubC as well, so I just took off the bracelet, put it on my 216710BLNR and put a leather strap on my SubC. Then I wandered into the AD and showed them the SubC on the leather strap and said that I wanted to restore it to how it should be, and asked if they can order a new bracelet- which they did immediately without any further hassle.

Takes a few days to arrive...

A couple more shots of my old LN after brushing...

My old LN is looooong gone (sold it for under £4k on here!) but that is the first time I've seen one that has made me miss it. Looks fantastic on that style bracelet.

£1550 - I do have a SubC as well, so I just took off the bracelet, put it on my 126710BLNR and put a leather strap on my SubC. Then I wandered into the AD and showed them the SubC on the leather strap and said that I wanted to restore it to how it should be, and asked if they can order a new bracelet- which they did immediately without any further hassle.

During the chat I did mention that the original bracelet is now on my BLNR, but they didn’t seem to mind at all...

£1550 .
    If you don't have a sub to hand, just ask for a 97200 bracelet for a Submariner
    no serial numbers required to order.

Craftsman
    Without the PCL's it looses some of its specialness imo.

After seeing those shots, I would have to say brushed FTW! Rolex Oysters are from the professional line and tool heritage, and PCL's don't fit them. It's ok on their Steel gold DateJust and Gold DayDates, but brushed looks so epic on that brushed lugs. And to be honest, it needs to be de-blinget a little, you have the shiney bezel and hands, so fully brushed center links will keep the tone a bit.

Brushed

Master
    £1550 - I do have a SubC as well, so I just took off the bracelet, put it on my 126710BLNR and put a leather strap on my SubC. Then I wandered into the AD and showed them the SubC on the leather strap and said that I wanted to restore it to how it should be, and asked if they can order a new bracelet- which they did immediately without any further hassle.

During the chat I did mention that the original bracelet is now on my BLNR, but they didn’t seem to mind at all...

Just called local WOS to enquire and they're quoting £1750

Just called local WOS to enquire and they're quoting £1750
    I just paid £1550 today at WOS...

Master
    I just paid £1550 today at WOS...
    Well I guess my local WOS have got to pay for their brand new prime location store somehow..!

Master
    Brushed 100%, PCL is the one thing that has stopped me getting a GMT in the past. Then Rolex did their best as my call never came before the bracelet changed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely NOT brushed

I don’t like PCLs, but I’m all about original

D

Master
    I prefer the BLNR on brushed. However I would personally not brush the original. Either a spare bracelet or a good excuse to get a sub and play swapsies every now and then.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    love the brushed and prefer the look of my older Pepsi for that reason.

Have thought about brushing my BLNR as after 6 years the PCL's are a bit 'lived in' and those pictures of your brushed bracelet look fab. Just makes it a little more 'tool'

I need to find my Bergeon tweezers and put the sub bracelet back on my BLNR for a week after seeing these pictures. It's sat in the box not being worn as I don't want to scratch the PCLs (I know).

My shortest ever Rolex ownership was the BLNR. 2 weeks and I sold it. Rugged sports tool watch with PCLs? Not for me. Quite fancy having my DJ2 brushed. Probably my favourite allrounder.

I think brushed looks good, but I’ve left mine polished and I’ve gotten used to it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

BLNR with a SubC bracelet might just be the perfect watch...

Typical -- can't find my Bergeon tweezers anywhere but found a G-Shock I thought I lost!

Starting to think a spare GMT bracelet sent to Rocco would be better than the SubC bracelet. Easy link is 10x more practical than glide lock and as the clasp doesn't take up your entire wrist it's more comfortable too.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 10th February 2020 at 21:40.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Typical -- can't find my Bergeon tweezers anywhere but found a G-Shock I thought I lost!

Starting to think a spare GMT bracelet sent to Rocco would be better than the SubC bracelet. Easy link is 10x more practical than glide lock and as the clasp doesn't take up your entire wrist it's more comfortable too.
    Agreed. However, I’d just get the bracelet you have brushed instead. It’s not like you can pick up an extra bracelet on the cheap.

Master

To brush or not to brush...

My ideal scenario is a Pepsi ceramic on brushed oyster. Going to make it an expensive choice if I ever get the call.

Edit..Although assume I need to find a friendly ceramic sub owning friend to be able to order the bracelet?

Craftsman
    Definitely brushed, it's a tool watch.
    I agree with lots of the other comments it is the reason I never bought one, those pesky pcls.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Edit..Although assume I need to find a friendly ceramic sub owning friend to be able to order the bracelet?
    Bracelets aren’t restricted parts as far as i’m aware so if you’ve got a Local AD with a parts account, you should be able to order one

Quote Refernces:
    97200 - SubC Brushed
    78200 - GMT PCL

Although on a 126710 you will need to use the original 1.5mm spring bars, and it takes some shoehorning to get the pivots to seat correctly into the holes.

Although i’m curious if a SDc 97400 bracelet might be a better fit with the 126710 (using exp 2.0mm spring bars), the endlinks are ever so slightly shorter so the lug hole position might be better. (Not got a 116600 on hand to experiment on lol)
    Last edited by endo; 10th February 2020 at 22:46.