closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Daytona £1300 service through an AD for a 16520 A serial

Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex Daytona £1300 service through an AD for a 16520 A serial

Well, after over two months of a wait I got the call from my local Rolex AD to come in and pick up my watch. So, this Saturday off I went with great expectation with the missus to pick it up. In we go to the AD and received the usual niceties (coffee etc.). I have developed a bit of a relationship with one of the sales executives and when he saw me he immediately went off to find my watch.
    The watch was was produced to me on a tray with the striped service stickers attached still from the green service pouch with bezel protector and the paper credit cart type warranty (no service booklet as I had expected with the card attached to the back page).
    After looking at the watch I was not very impressed, the bracelet was completely brushed with no high polished centre link (which IMO looked better but was no correct) and the fact that the second hand did not reset to zero. As, it should have when working the Chronograph. I returned the watch back to the staff and expressed my dissatisfaction. I was told that the watch wold be return to Rolex London to be rectified. The experience made me ponder if the watch had been serviced at the AD and not Rolex London as it recently attained service centre accreditation. Even thou I was assured that the work had been carried out by Rolex London. Any thoughts?

Full service £900, Zenith movement.
    New crown (compulsory requirement).
    1x pusher
    New crystal (which was insisted on and compulsory).
    Total £1315

Cheers,
    M
    Last edited by milwatch126; 9th February 2020 at 23:49.

My experience of RSC is that the watch is returned to as new (unless specified not to polish etc) and on the 16520 that would mean polished centre links?

What dealer? Never heard of RSC not getting a bracelet finish correct!?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    If the watch was serviced at RSC then you should have an A4 letter with official Rolex letterhead outlining everything that was done to the watch.

Really shocked with the state of the watch you got back though - definitely sounds fishy, and to get the PCL brushed??!

I'd expect the chrono second hand to reset after a £900 service.

Pretty sure A serial should have polished center links, sounds like a major cockup.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A very well established AD.
    A4 sheet with details and costing. I returned the pouch and green service credit card with watch. When the watch returns back should it have a new service date and new card.

hampstead nc to wilmington nc

M
    Last edited by milwatch126; 9th February 2020 at 22:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    Pretty sure A serial should have polished center links, sounds like a major cockup.
    Correct.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    A4 sheet with details and costing. I returned the pouch and green service credit card with watch. When the watch returns back should it have a new service date and new card.

M

That’s not from Rolex, is it? They wouldn’t have referred to a “Rolex” service.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That’s not from Rolex, is it? They wouldn’t have referred to a “Rolex” service.
    Lunns advertise they have an in house watchmaker - it's not been back to Rolex.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The website in the photo gives it away. It wasn't done by RSC. I'd be very annoyed by that.

I would be absolutely fuming at this turn of events. Not sending it to RSC and making a complete hash of the bracelet finishing.

Their service accreditation may be at risk one Rolex have chance to inspect their handiwork.

Blog Entries
    Question out of curiosity, how do they polish the centre links? Is the bracelet completely disassembled so the middle link is detached completely from the 2 outer links for polishing or is there a clever way to doing this?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Question out of curiosity, how do they polish the centre links? Is the bracelet completely disassembled so the middle link is detached completely from the 2 outer links for polishing or is there a clever way to doing this?
    It’s incredibly simple!

Plastic heat- resistant masking tape is applied to the brushed sections, thus allowing the centre links to be polished. An easy job on these, not so easy on an Omega Bond bracelet but the principle’s the same.

Master
    I would be incredibly pi$$ed, if I was paying that for basically an independent to service it the whole shop would of gone up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Would a call to Rolex London be of any worth with the details as the AD have an accredited Rolex work shop even thou the AD have expressed to me that the watch was worked on and sent to Rolex London.

M
    Last edited by milwatch126; 9th February 2020 at 22:55.

I'd be pushing for them to send it to RSC for evaluation - that sounds right shoddy!

Also, why are the stock numbers identical for each of the different items specified? You'd think an oscillating weight would have a different stock reference to the crystal, crown etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It’s incredibly simple!

Plastic heat- resistant masking tape is applied to the brushed sections, thus allowing the centre links to be polished. An easy job on these, not so easy on an Omega Bond bracelet but the principle’s the same.
    Thank you, I knew there was a simple answer!

- - - Updated - - -

Would a call to Rolex London be of any worth with the details as the AD have an accredited Rolex work shop even thou the AD have expressed to me that the watch was work on and sent to Rolex London.

M
    If you are talking about RSC St James they've been closed since September last year.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone have the correct number handy?

M

Anyone have the correct number handy?

M
    020 7024 7300

That's for Rolex St James

Surprised...

Can’t believe that they would have made such a mistake!

I hope you get this sorted out and please let us know if this was done in-house?

Craftsman
    Hi OP,

I had a zenith daytona serviced at RSC last year, the crystal wasn't replaced so unless yours was damaged the AD shouldn't be doing that either.

Hope you get it sorted out without too much hassle.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Thank you, I knew there was a simple answer!

- - - Updated - - -

If you are talking about RSC St James they've been closed since September last year.
    … Closed for refurbishment https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...lexdealers.com

Rolex West Malling is now the Rolex H.O. https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...lexdealers.com

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 10th February 2020 at 01:48.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Blog Entries

M
    Thats not a Rolex service receipt. Had a Sub serviced at Kings Hill via the local AD and the Rolex receipt is totally different. I'd be pretty annoyed if it hadn't been sent to Rolex.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    If the watch was serviced at RSC then you should have an A4 letter with official Rolex letterhead outlining everything that was done to the watch.

Really shocked with the state of the watch you got back though - definitely sounds fishy, and to get the PCL brushed??!
    You generally only receive such a letter when you deal directly with the RSC. If you go through an AD then you usually just receive the warranty card and no other correspondence. My reading of the OPs message is that the bracelet was brought back to original factory finish (having originally had the centre links polished). I believe an all brushed finish on the bracelet was correct for an A series Daytona. As for the chrono hand then although disappointing I am sure the RSC will address.

PCL’s are factory finish for a 16520 not brushed and no different for A serial....i have the brochure if you want evidence.

The 4030 movement is very robust thing ....but few people like to work on them as they can I believe be tricky ...sub dial hand removal and refit being a pain as tubes fiddly etc ...thats before you get into the movement itself.

I could be wrong but back to Geneva would be 1st choice and in these circumstances thats what i would request....

AD’s in house guys vary in ability and what era they are used to working with.

The dealer has thought yeh lets have a bash and make some £££’s. Sadly it looks like they were not upto it if the chrono hand is not hitting its mark that would then have me questioning what else is possibly off and whats going on under caseback...

In which case letting them have another ‘bash’ is not the way forward.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    You generally only receive such a letter when you deal directly with the RSC. If you go through an AD then you usually just receive the warranty card and no other correspondence. My reading of the OPs message is that the bracelet was brought back to original factory finish (having originally had the centre links polished). I believe an all brushed finish on the bracelet was correct for an A series Daytona. As for the chrono hand then although disappointing I am sure the RSC will address.
    I received that letter and went through an AD. So no you don’t have to deal with a RSC to get one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    You generally only receive such a letter when you deal directly with the RSC. If you go through an AD then you usually just receive the warranty card and no other correspondence.
    That's certainly not my experience. My AD always gave me the Rolex receipt whether I did a full service or simpler regulation. If no correspondence then it opens the door to being overcharged by the AD, or as in the case with the OP here - getting work done in-house.

Blog Entries
    That's certainly not my experience. My AD always gave me the Rolex receipt whether I did a full service or simpler regulation. If no correspondence then it opens the door to being overcharged by the AD, or as in the case with the OP here - getting work done in-house.
    In-house is fine if they make it clear that is what you’re paying for. Otherwise you’re paying for something you aren’t getting.

Craftsman
    I'd be asking for a very hefty discount for the inconvenience to yourself.

Master
    From memory I think the base 16520 service is £930 from RSC. I am also surprised that they didn't contact you with any form of estimate for the work over and above.

The other thing to consider is that an RSC service carries a worldwide two year warranty, whilst this one you'll have to take back to the shop.

All that along with effectively brushing the bracelet, I'd be fuming.

M
    Established AD does not necessarily mean they use, or have access to, the skills of, an 'established' in-house Rolex watchmaker at their premises.

This my Rolex St James Daytona service invoice from a few years ago … not a Zenith movement.

Furthermore, how can the AD now send / return the watch to Rolex London when there is currently no Rolex service centre in London?

Please read #23 above.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 10th February 2020 at 11:03.

Master
    If a Rolex is serviced by Rolex UK through a main agent, two "invoices" are issued: one to the main agent at the discounted figure they pay and a second "RETAIL CUSTOMER COPY" which is for a higher amount. That is intended to be given to the client and shows what the retailer may be expected to charge him / her. This dual paperwork always struck me as slightly questionable.

In any event, this is certainly NOT what the OP's picture shows.

Simple questions should follow. Did he ask only for his watch to be serviced, or for it to go back to Rolex for service? If the latter and it did not, that could be a greater problem.

While writing, I would like to add that the margin on service work is now quite slim for main agents.

TKH : modern Daytonas would not typically return to Geneva, but would be serviced through West Malling or London (when open).

H

Sorry H my bad / miss information from an AD.

I was informed that you could request your watch go to Geneva...and that they were ‘the’ choice for Zenith Daytona as they hold majority of Zenith 4030 parts...

Another lesson learned

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post

Furthermore, how can the AD now send / return the watch to Rolex London when there is currently no Rolex service centre in London?
    As Haywood mentioned, West Malling/Kings Hill is still open and did my GMT regulation last month.

Craftsman
    Ive never heard of the centre links being polished by mistake, that's one big f--k up, can that process be reversed?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony E View Post
    Ive never heard of the centre links being polished by mistake, that's one big f--k up, can that process be reversed?
    Would think so yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, after over two months of a wait I got the call from my local Rolex AD to come in and pick up my watch. So, this Saturday off I went with great expectation with the missus to pick it up. In we go to the AD and received the usual niceties (coffee etc.). I have developed a bit of a relationship with one of the sales executives and when he saw me he immediately went off to find my watch.
    The watch was was produced to me on a tray with the striped service stickers attached still from the green service pouch with bezel protector and the paper credit cart type warranty (no service booklet as I had expected with the card attached to the back page).
    After looking at the watch I was not very impressed, the bracelet was completely brushed with no high polished centre link (which IMO looked better but was no correct) and the fact that the second hand did not reset to zero. As, it should have when working the Chronograph. I returned the watch back to the staff and expressed my dissatisfaction. I was told that the watch wold be return to Rolex London to be rectified. The experience made me ponder if the watch had been serviced at the AD and not Rolex London as it recently attained service centre accreditation. Even thou I was assured that the work had been carried out by Rolex London. Any thoughts?

1x pusher
    Total £1315

Cheers,
    M
    My god, this is horrendous. I'd go all in that AD! I hope that you get it sorted soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony E View Post
    Nice to know that your expensive watch has been dealt with by someone who knows what they are doing. A really shocking story!

1x pusher
    Total £1315

Cheers,
    M
    Given that Rolex St James has not been accepting Rolex watches for service since last September, how can the AD imply that it was … and that it would now be returned to Rolex London? Even if it was serviced by Rolex West Malling (if submitted for service after September 2019) that is not Rolex London ... and there should be an official Rolex invoice as proof of service. Why would an AD raise their own invoice rather than pass on the usual official Rolex invoice?

dunk

My apologies - I was sharing my personal experience, but my assumption was obviously incorrect. Hope the OP gets everything quickly sorted to his satisfaction.

Master
    As an aside, I thought that RSJ was closed for walk-in etc because the building was being refurbished, not necessarily that the techs who work there aren't working. Do we know that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    As an aside, I thought that RSJ was closed for walk-in etc because the building was being refurbished, not necessarily that the techs who work there aren't working. Do we know that?
    But were the full services done at RSJ ? Or were they sent by RSJ to West Malling? I was under the impression that RSJ only offered basic adjustments

dunk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Closed for refurbishment, apparently.

https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...lexdealers.com
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 10th February 2020 at 19:02.

Closed for refurbishment but still open for phone calls. They advised me which AD to go to for the ordering of parts a few weeks back.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been informed today By the AD service department that the watch was 100% serviced in and will be returned to Rolex Kings Hill (mistakes happen?). I was also told that all Daytona’s and some sport models can only be serviced through London and never in house through the AD’s accredited Rolex service centre.
    As, some have asked my instructions were to have the watch serviced in London only.

I can only wait for the outcome and have asked for a Rolex headed letter breakdown of the service to be returned with the watch. I do not care if extra costs are endured for this privilege and extra watch provenience and peace of mind.

P.S. any ideas on Rolex Kings Hill?

M
    Last edited by milwatch126; 10th February 2020 at 22:59.

Master
    I have been informed today By the AD service department that the watch was 100% serviced in and will be returned to Rolex Kings Hill (mistakes happen?). I was also told that all Daytona’s and some sport models can only be serviced through London and never in house through the AD’s accredited Rolex service centre.
    As, some have asked my instructions were to have the watch serviced in London only.

I can only wait for the outcome and have asked for a Rolex headed letter breakdown of the service to be returned with the watch. I do not care if extra costs are endured for this privilege and extra watch provenience and peace of mind.

M
    Might be worth asking why the AD didn't give you the "RETAIL CUSTOMER COPY" of the Rolex UK service paperwork.

Recently had my Ref 16710 GMT serviced. I called RSC in Kent who advised me that I can send it to them or drop it in directly or can take it my nearest AD who would send it to them to do the work. I chose the AD route. My GMT was bought off an acquaintance and it was in pretty bad shape. It needed a new crystal, whole new bezel assembly and the GMT function wasn't functioning properly. After the work was completed I collected the watch from the dealer and was given the watch in the green Rolex pouch which was inside a white plastic Rolex service box with the green Rolex service warranty card inside the service brochure. The receipt was just the standard shop thermal till receipt which showed the itemised work done and the final price. I don't doubt that the watch wasn't sent to RSC as it was they who recommended I take the watch to that particular AD.

As for the bracelet of the OPs Daytona, it definitely has polished centre links as I've previously owned one. In saying that though I think I would have preferred to have the centre links brushed.

M
    Rolex SC Kings Hill is Kings Hill West Malling … https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...lexdealers.com … as advised in #23 … and which is not in London

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 11th February 2020 at 01:13.

M
    I went through a similar ‘fight’ with Laings (Edinburgh) and Breitling, where an £800+ bill on an Aerospace repair, had next-to-no detail.

It was provided grudgingly, and my reasoning didn’t change their methods, and we went around again - a few years later.