closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1990s Breitling Colt Superocean A17040: no hand wind position on stem?

1990s Breitling Colt Superocean A17040: no hand wind position on stem?

Hi All

Dumb question. Got a 1990s Breitling Colt Superocean A17040

It's this model

https://www.breitlingsource.com/watc...rocean_99.html

But I can’t seem to find a setting on the stem that allows for handwinding to give the mainspring a full load (there’s one for setting the date and another for setting the time) but after a few rocks back and forth to swing the rotor it winds and run perfectly.

Is that normal?

Thanks

Master
    I had one of these a while back, and it wound like any other ETA 2824, ie unscrew the crown, and wind from there to power the mainspring.

On my 045 when you unscrew the crown you are in the winding position, you pull it out for date and time, pushng it back in gets it in the winding position again.
    When you unscrew the crown what position is it in?

Sent from my Aquaris V with Tapatalk using a small keypad and declining eyesight!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    On my 045 when you unscrew the crown you are in the winding position, you pull it out for date and time, pushng it back in gets it in the winding position again.
    When you unscrew the crown what position is it in?

Sent from my Aquaris V with Tapatalk using a small keypad and declining eyesight!

Yep that's what I thought. Three positions: 1. winding, 2. date, 3. time setting. Except this one appears to missing 1.

I did find it yesterday, once, and could hear / feel it winding (plus the crown wasn't screwing and nor was the date wheel moving). In what I think should be the winding position the crown just screws down, without pressure from from. But free of the threads it seems to go straight to second position (date).

??
    Last edited by Rev-O; 11th February 2020 at 13:21.

I think it needs to go to the Doctor!

Grand Master
    Think about it, the answers simple:

The stem has been made fractionally too short, when the setting lever engages with the first position on the setting lever spring the crown is still in contact with the threads. Shouldn’t happen but it does, stepsons Omega was like this from new!

Master
    I have a 7750 with a waterproof, sprung crown. The length of the stem was very critical. Too short and there was no hand wind. Too long and it wouldn't fully seat into the lugs either side. You appear to have too short a stem as stated above.