closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Water coming from next door external wall

Blog Entries

Water coming from next door external wall

hi, woke up to water on our kitchen floor, the outside of the wall around 15 foot is in next doors garden so it looks like the rain is coming through unpointed bricks, would it be their responsibility as i have no access to the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    hi, woke up to water on our kitchen floor, the outside of the wall around 15 foot is in next doors garden so it looks like the rain is coming through unpointed bricks, would it be their responsibility as i have no access to the wall?
    If I understood correctly, it’s still your wall and responsibility. You will have to ask them for access to check what’s happening and repair accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s it your wall? If it part of your house it’s yours. Unless it’s part of both houses then it’s shared.

You will find on your deeds that you have the right to access their property to repair yours, most likely

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    It’s it your wall? If it part of your house it’s yours. Unless it’s part of both houses then it’s shared.

You will find on your deeds that you have the right to access their property to repair yours, most likely
    hi, it also forms part of next doors enclosed garden

You'll need to establish who owns the wall (you say it is in next doors garden?).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    You'll need to establish who owns the wall (you say it is in next doors garden?).

R
    yes long internal kitchen wall which the reverse backs into enclosed yard part of garden

It probably your part of your house. That forms the boundary

Master
    First thing to do would be a simple chat with next door, if it's causing damage to your kitchen then it's in your best interest to get it sorted quickly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    If I understood correctly, it’s still your wall and responsibility. You will have to ask them for access to check what’s happening and repair accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What he said.

If it's your wall, you have to fix and ask for access.

If it's a shared wall, it's unlikely the neighbour will do anything as it probably doesn't affect them.

If it's their wall, they own part of your kitchen (unlikely).

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Has this exact issue with water coming in from next door into my garage. The neighbours path has been raised at some point, This was confirmed as when we removed the soil the pebble dash carried on below the soil level.

This is how we fixed it.

I think it’s called a french drain or something???

Some lead flashing which over lapped the Damp proof course

finally a couple of tonnes of shingle.

cost me £600 including labour and materials. It was actually the neighbours responsibility and they offered to pay but as they hadn't raised the floor (was like the when they moved) i just let it go.

Technically its your wall and they shouldn't be building up to it.
    Last edited by eagletower; 9th February 2020 at 13:19.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies, seems that its down to me, wonder if my bricks and mortar insurance will cover this?

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Thanks for the replies, seems that its down to me, wonder if my bricks and mortar insurance will cover this?
    That is something you alone - will be able to ascertain.

If it’s due to your neighbours building up against your wall, they’ll claim the costs from your neighbours insurance .

Yep that's a french drain :)
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post

I think it’s called a french drain or something???

Could this be a part wall if it straddles the boundary, it doesn't have to be part of both houses.