closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slim fit and skinny fit jeans and trousers

Master

Slim fit and skinny fit jeans and trousers

I don't understand why so many retailers are selling the above in an age of over weight and obese populations. Also I really don't understand how they can sell any of the above if waist size is 36" or above because you wouldn't be skinny or slim now would you???

Waistist

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    First world problems.

Not everybody is fat, clearly.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Obviously designed for the ‘skinnies’!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Shock retailers offering a fit for those who are fashion conscious or naturally slim.

Next we'll have watch manufacturers pushing out 38mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My main point or question is if you are 36" or more waist you ain't slim or skinny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    My main point or question is if you are 36" or more waist you ain't slim or skinny!!!
    Waistist

You don't understand why retailers are selling a style popular with young people and sell well.

And implying that most people are fat is incredibly daft.

Im slim, my dad`s slim, my brother is slim, 4 of my nephews are slim, my cousins are slim, most of my neighbours are slim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    You don't understand why retailers are selling a style popular with young people and sell well.

Im slim, my dad`s slim, my brother is slim, 4 of my nephews are slim, my cousins are slim, most of my neighbours are slim.
    You all need let’s eat
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Waistist
    Always think of the Jimmy Carr Joke when he gets heckled by a “big girl” who says “you’re fattist” to which the response is “no, you’re fattest”. He tells it better than I do.

What if you like the feel?

Im usually 36 inch waist in slimmer or skinny jeans, in order to get my arse and wide hips in, otherwise a 34 in most. But I quite like the comfort of 1 to 2% elastane in some Jean fabrics these days, as the tend to give a little when you move or sit down.
    It's just a matter of time...

Some of us are snake-hipped lads you know.

Blog Entries
    Anyone else hate stretch jeans?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    What if you like the feel?

Im usually 36 inch waist in slimmer or skinny jeans, in order to get my arse and wide hips in, otherwise a 34 in most. But I quite like the comfort of 1 to 2% elastane in some Jean fabrics these days, as the tend to give a little when you move or sit down.
    Same for me. 34 are tight, 36 have massive baggy legs. I recently tried slim 36 and they work quite well as i dont look like i have a couple of sacks around my spindley legs.

Craftsman
    I may be totally wrong here, but always assumed it was the style of jean, as opposed to the shape of the person wearing them?

So it is a slim fit to whatever appropriate size, not a jean that is only appropriate to those who are slim. It's like questioning why people who don't wear boots might wear boot-cut jeans :)

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    had a similar issue when buying a new suit last year, im 36" waist and a short arse! so my point is were does a slimfit jacket come into that?

I have found that most "off the peg" trousers and suits now seem to be slim or skinny fit. Getting straight or regular seems to be more of a mission, which is what I usually tend towards.

However, all that "slim" or "skinny" fit refers to is the cut - ie more tapered, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference to the actual size if that makes any sense.

As someone who is 34-36" waist, broad shouldered, 46-48" chest, 17-17.5" collar, and would probably be best described as "solid", I find the slim or skinny fit jeans fine, shirts too constricting, and suits look a little odd. I have size 12 feet, and they look a bit outsize poking out beneath skinny fit trousers.

But then that's me.

I think a major retailer (John Lewis?) cocked up by having too many slim and skinny fit items over Christmas and couldn't shift them.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There are people who are Six foot plus 36 inch waist and look slim.

My 17 year old 6’2” son say slim fit to baggy, skinny fit not tight enough so he buys a fit called “spray on” the wife and I have excepted we may never have grand children.

I'm 33" waist and Uniqlo jeans slim fit are perfect. M&S jeans at 32" are good with a bit of stretch in them 😁
    Not many do 33" in the big stores.

36 inch waist

M abd s slim fit jeans are a great fit

They stop as somebody else said too much flappy leg

I’m certainly not slim - but not huge

It’s just a reference to the cut I believe

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Yes. Nowadays it’s next to impossible to walk in a clothing store in Finland and find a pair of jeans made of 100% cotton with the exception of Levi’s 501s. I don’t like 501’s and I really hate elastane and the way it makes jeans feel and look on me.

Craftsman
    I actually really like jeans with a bit of stretch: 1-2% usually. As long as you're buying the right size, they don't 'cling' but they do maintain their shape. I found many of my 100% cotton jeans becoming pajama shaped after a few months

Don't see the issue with people being offered different fits. I buy super slim fit shirts but wear a 17 inch collar. Seems a bit stupid to be ordering that fit with a 17 neck and my overall shape but that's the one that fits.

What I really don't understand is stocking slim fit only and shops not knowing their customer. Try buying a Ralph Lauren button up or polo shirt from John Lewis these days. Slim fit only, nothing custom or classic fit in sight. Then when the sales comes it's full of the same slim fit stuff no one has bought but every season they keep going.

Master
    I kind of do get it, although I see your point too.

I am probably larger than average waist at 36. I buy slim chinos so that they are not too baggy near my shoes. If I buy regular they don't look so good through the thigh and leg. I am definitely not someone who is overly fashion conscious but have noticed slim just fits better for me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    For many years I was 30-32" waste, 39-40" chest, 32" leg, I could buy clothes anywhere. Sadly father time caught up with my waistline and it's more like 32"-3", so I find 32" trousers are tight and 34" too loose. If my knee's OK I`ll get back on the fitness kick, lose a few pounds and get back to 32" waste. Unfortunately, with advancing years, men have a tendancy to put weight on easily around the middle, it's finally caught up with me, happens to the best of us.

What's frustrating is the way that shops all follow whatever is deemed to be fashion at the time. I'd look ridiculous in skinny-fit jeans or trousers, I`d look stupid, but that's what the shops seem to offer.

Another frustration is trousers that don't have enough material in the seat. Had one hilarious moment when I tried a pair on some years back, the waste was slightly loose but I couldn't bend my legs or sit down. 'I cannot imagine what shape of human being could wear these' was my comment as I handed them back in frustration, obviously designed for some bloke with a 33" waste but no arse or thighs, I think they were made in Italy.

Coats and jackets are another source of frustration, they'll fit OK around the chest but the shoulders are tight. Wifey doesn`t help, she'll say 'that looks OK', I`ll reply that I can't move my arms, she'll tell me I don`t need to move them far.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Not everybody is fat, clearly.
    Are you implying that all large people are fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I'm 33" waist and Uniqlo jeans slim fit are perfect. M&S jeans at 32" are good with a bit of stretch in them 
    Not many do 33" in the big stores.
    I think you need to buy jeans from a America I believe they sell size reverse, so we do 32 W 34 l they do all the odd sizes 33 w 35 l I think.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I think a major retailer (John Lewis?) cocked up by having too many slim and skinny fit items over Christmas and couldn't shift them.
    It was M&S.

They've failed to realise, over many years, that the majority of their clothes shoppers ain't hip; they're square, in outlook & shape!
    ______

​Jim.

I’m 6’1, 95kg, 36” waist and wear slim fit jeans. I’m not skinny but don’t want to only wear baggy pants either.

Grand Master

Great for fancy dress!!
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Most of this forum are in elastic waist trousers.
    RIAC

...and what's wrong with that?

______

​Jim.

36" does not exist - there is no standard sizing and thus no way to compare between brands.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    ...and what's wrong with that?

Ah but the world was a much simpler place back then.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    I think you need to buy jeans from a America I believe they sell size reverse, so we do 32 W 34 l they do all the odd sizes 33 w 35 l I think.
    Those leg lengths are too long for me, I'm a 31" leg.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Most of this forum are in elastic waist trousers.

Where can I find some classy 32x32 prewashed slim-fit jeans?

Craftsman
    I don't understand why so many retailers are selling the above in an age of over weight and obese populations. Also I really don't understand how they can sell any of the above if waist size is 36" or above because you wouldn't be skinny or slim now would you???
    If brands stuck to a consistent measurement then this would make life easier for both. This is probably the reason that customer returns are at an all-time
    high.

36/32 regular Levis fit me well but are a bit saggy at the bottom. Whereas a 36/32 slim-cut from Superdry fit an absolute treat. Never been a huge fan of the brand historically but all my jeans come from
    there now.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    36/34 straight leg Levi's .........bah humbug.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Waistist

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post

No, Im not imply that at all. I'm saying if you have a waist larger than 36" you arent slim or skinny, so why make a style of jeans or trousers of that size and above designed for slim or skinny people???

Am I right in suggesting that your lot have waist sizes Less than 36"?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    It was M&S.

They've failed to realise, over many years, that the majority of their clothes shoppers ain't hip; they're square, in outlook & shape!
    Yep, Thats me!!!

Grand Master
    It’s fairly easy.

If you are skinny then skinny fit shows that off. Some skinny people want to add not take away which is easiest.

If you are fat then skinny fit magnifies that’s too. So if you are plump and want to look plumper then get them on. There no hiding with that option.
    RIAC

I’m amazed people struggle with Jean fit when all the sizing info is out there. If you have one pair that fits then the leg, thigh, rise, waist, opening measurements are freely available to match to if you have figured out to use the Internet and a tape measure.

Most brands do loads of fits from skinny to middle aged spread/straight.

Nothing worse than seeing a middle aged lard-arse bloke in skinny jeans though.

I'm saying if you have a waist larger than 36" you arent slim or skinny, so why make a style of jeans or trousers of that size and above designed for slim or skinny people???
    It's called 'grading'. Simple way to explain it is with a shoe (last). A size 9 shoe will be wider than a size six of the same style. So a 36" waist slim fit will be wider leg than a 32" slim fit.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It references the cut.

"skinny" is cut close to the leg and ankle, slim is cut close to the leg but widening out into a straight fit at the ankle.

Equally there are bootcut, straight cut, wideleg, slouch, and flare cuts, but I suppose they wouldn't cause as much giggles to those who don't get wander far from beige slack cut.

Last time I wore jeans was in the late 70's. Tight fitting but with huge flares. It was the norm at the time and nobody thought they looked stupid.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    It references the cut.

"skinny" is cut close to the leg and ankle, slim is cut close to the leg but widening out into a straight fit at the ankle.

Equally there are bootcut, straight cut, wideleg, slouch, and flare cuts, but I suppose they wouldn't cause as much giggles to those who don't get wander far from beige slack cut.
    Amazing how many people don't know the leg opening measurements on jeans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk